Christmas Music. Sincerely Thread. Evil, or Not Evil ? When is too soon ? Are you the 3rd category of people everyone else thinks is annoying ?

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's an ice cream truck that I sometimes hear in a nearby neighborhood in the summer. Maybe the guy is a little lazy, or cheap, or just doesn't care, but his truck blasts out some Christmas tunes. No big deal, but it's a little odd to hear about Rudolph and "dashing through the snow" when it's 105 degrees F on the Fourth of July.
Ours does that too. I always assumed because it reminds you of chilly weather and being cold, like ice cream.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright, So a lot of it can be annoying, but I do like some of the artists Brihaha mentioned. I hear a lot of country music around here, so it kind of fits.
Good Convo, it's the contemporary pop stuff I can't stand anymore. I used to listen to what some might call, a derogatory term, and I once had a note on my car from church for having a spikey license plate frame on my black car with the spoiler on the back.
Well that’s petty and ignorant of somebody.
I have gone through a lot of mental illness, and mental health,

And thought, that the 'Christian' thing to do is to turn to pop. That death metal, and black was the evil thing. Loll. That's kind of what I meant when I said, is it evil.
You can play the metal station and be totally innocent,

And then you can turn on the contemporary pop station, or Christmas music, and it's like, I did not really know what was evil until this ! Loll.
That's all I meant. I do hear a lot of country around here, a lot. Nothing wrong with Brad Paisley. Too much of anything in repeat,
But, Brad Paisley is more my speed, I think, now.
Good chat, Glad it didn't get too out of hand.
While I think death metal is an unrelenting and horrific assault on my ears, it’s not inherently bad or evil. Some lyrics from them are actually quite profound and thought provoking. I hate metal and enjoy Brad Paisley, but I will be the first to admit that there is nothing particularly poignant or thought provoking about his lyrics.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ours does that too. I always assumed because it reminds you of chilly weather and being cold, like ice cream.
If I wanted to argue this for the fun of it, I think reminding people of being hot would probably sell more ice cream. But I could be wrong, I don't have a degree in business. :)

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist

While I think death metal is an unrelenting and horrific assault on my ears, it’s not inherently bad or evil. Some lyrics from them are actually quite profound and thought provoking. I hate metal and enjoy Brad Paisley, but I will be the first to admit that there is nothing particularly poignant or thought provoking about his lyrics.
I love metal. The raw enthusiasm and, yes, joy of playing.

Here's one where the instrumentals are fantastic but you don't notice because the vocals just over power. (The drummer is *very* precise.)

On a different end of the spectrum:

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love metal. The raw enthusiasm and, yes, joy of playing.

Here's one where the instrumentals are fantastic but you don't notice because the vocals just over power. (The drummer is *very* precise.)

On a different end of the spectrum:
My husband just saw Gojira in Boston and said it was a fantastic show. Their environmental awareness is fantastic.

I fully blame my disconnect/dislike of the genre to being introduced to it during a period of time where I was sensitive to migraines. There’s something about the rhythm or tone that just grated on me. It’s not just metal; Ace of Base and La Bouche, which is nothing like metal and is a genre I enjoy, does the same thing. It’s hard for me to separate the feelings of “I’m about to get a migraine.” It’s 100% a me thing and I don’t begrudge anybody who enjoys it, though. A lot of underrated lyricists and compositions in that genre. Arguably the most unrecognized genre for lyrical contributions to music.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
My husband just saw Gojira in Boston and said it was a fantastic show. Their environmental awareness is fantastic.

I fully blame my disconnect/dislike of the genre to being introduced to it during a period of time where I was sensitive to migraines. There’s something about the rhythm or tone that just grated on me. It’s not just metal; Ace of Base and La Bouche, which is nothing like metal and is a genre I enjoy, does the same thing. It’s hard for me to separate the feelings of “I’m about to get a migraine.” It’s 100% a me thing and I don’t begrudge anybody who enjoys it, though. A lot of underrated lyricists and compositions in that genre. Arguably the most unrecognized genre for lyrical contributions to music.
Well, if there are physiological responses that are going to mess you up, I certainly wouldn't ask you to deal with it. I have a friend who won't eat spicy food. For a while, I thought he was just a wimp. But we went to a Thai place where he ordered his dish as mild as they could make it. He enjoyed it, but he had his handkerchief out mopping his forehead. It was then I realized that some people just are wired differently and one simply can't "man-up" or "cowboy-up". It's physically impossible. So, you do you and thank you for recognizing these differences.

Your comment "most unrecognized" is well worth noting. Less than 10 years ago, I wouldn't listen to metal. I forget now what changed my mind, but how wrong I was. These are extremely talented musicians. I try to recognize that even in genres I don't care for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And then you can turn on the contemporary pop station, or Christmas music, and it's like, I did not really know what was evil until this ! Loll.
The Christmas music is horrible, but not evil.
The part of this season that is truly EVIL...is Hallmark Christmas romance movies! They are so formulaic one could create a bingo card with the tropes found in these foul wastes of film. These horrible things used to be from Thanksgiving until Christmas; now they start them up November 1!
"So don't watch them," you say. "A free country," you say.
"I have the remote," my wife says and turns on Hallmark.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The part of this season that is truly EVIL...is Hallmark Christmas romance movies! They are so formulaic one could create a bingo card with the tropes found in these foul wastes of film. These horrible things used to be from Thanksgiving until Christmas; now they start them up November 1!

The beautiful thing about bad movies is that they can be their own unique form of entertainment. Then, again, I've been a MST3K fan for decades now (including the spin-off RiffTrax stuff they do). It was the only way I was able to survive watching Birdemic or Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Embrace the terrible. Come to the dark side, we have cookies.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My husband didn’t realize Hallmark movies are real movies. He thought they were spoof movies.

Upvote 0

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I agree with you there. Be glad it's just Hallmark. Since Generation X, and the post 1960's media saturated land they grew up in, I don't know how much further the FCC can take it when it comes to television.
I mean, a Christian, a Christian woman, ....................... ? ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I agree with you there. Be glad it's just Hallmark. Since Generation X, and the post 1960's media saturated land they grew up in, I don't know how much further the FCC can take it when it comes to television.
I mean, a Christian, a Christian woman, ....................... ? ?
Hallmark movies are not an example of potential FCC violations. They are as bland and vanilla as something can be.

Upvote 0

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hallmark movies are not an example of potential FCC violations. They are as bland and vanilla as something can be.
I will be honest with you. Women like you test my patience. I don't know the demographics of your state, whether democrat or conservative, but all of your posts have illicited a "wow" response out of me. And that is genuine.
I said be glad it's just Hallmark. Referring to the nightmare that is everything else.

I happen to like vanilla and do not regard it as 'bland'. Hence the unnecessary opinion and insult that warranted a "Wow".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I appreciated their counsel. I definitely appreciated their counsel. I was not doing well at all. It was one of the warning signs in my life at the time. I appreciated their counsel.
Even if I was too young at the time to realize.
It's pop. It's less annoying pop, but it's pop. The lyrics have pushed the boundaries since old school classical country music. The lyrics are definitely have changed, and are definitely trying and testing my patience.

I 'used' to think bubblegum pop was the way to go.

Plenty of anti social well meaning Christian people do better in a dark, and black environment. Especially if you have mental health and mental illness issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will be honest with you. Women like you test my patience.
I don’t care.
I don't know the demographics of your state, whether democrat or conservative, but all of your posts have illicited a "wow" response out of me. And that is genuine.
I don’t care.
I said be glad it's just Hallmark. Referring to the nightmare that is everything else.

I happen to like vanilla and do not regard it as 'bland'. Hence the unnecessary opinion and insult that warranted a "Wow".
I’m currently watching “Little House on the Prairie.” I’ll skip the rape episode and the addiction episode because they’re too graphic for me. I’ve seen “The Waltons” from beginning to end multiple times. I watch Hallmark Christmas movies. I happen to like bland, vanilla, predictable, saccharine shows and movies. All of those things are marketed as bland, vanilla, and inoffensive.

If you somehow take that as an insult, that’s a you problem and not a me problem.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0