Christmas Music. Sincerely Thread. Evil, or Not Evil ? When is too soon ? Are you the 3rd category of people everyone else thinks is annoying ?

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I appreciated their counsel. I definitely appreciated their counsel. I was not doing well at all. It was one of the warning signs in my life at the time. I appreciated their counsel.
Even if I was too young at the time to realize.
If somebody is questioning your faith because you have a spoiler on your car, a spiked license plate frame, and it’s black, they’re wrong. By leaving a note, they’re being petty, not giving counsel.
It's pop. Country music is bubblegum pop. The lyrics have pushed the boundaries since old school classical country music. The lyrics are definitely have changed, and are definitely trying and testing my patience.

I 'used' to think bubblegum pop was the way to go.

Plenty of anti social well meaning Christian people do better in a dark, and black environment. Especially if you have mental health and mental illness issues.
Country is not bubblegum pop. Bubblegum pop refers to a genre of music that was at its peak in the 60s and has largely died out.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's pop. Country music is bubblegum pop. The lyrics have pushed the boundaries since old school classical country music. The lyrics are definitely have changed, and are definitely trying and testing my patience.

I 'used' to think bubblegum pop was the way to go.
Bubblegum pop IS the way to go! Old country music is great, contemporary country music is just gay.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is this thread asking a serious question about Christmas music being evil? I guess I'm a little confused.

Growing up in a conservative Christian household myself, secular music was frowned upon. Even a lot of Christian music too. If it happened to be the wrong genre of music... like rock or rap.

Not sure if my upbringing is one reason, I find black metal to be my favorite genre of music lol. If I ever do have children... I certainly want to make sure they have a less restrictive upbringing and they're able to feel free to express themselves without worrying about every little thing being potentially "evil".

And I mean express themselves. Most kids will listen to whatever they want behind their parents backs anyways. Especially in this day and age with modern technology. I was a little more limited to a radio with headphones... at least when I was really young.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bubblegum pop IS the way to go! Old country music is great, contemporary country music is just gay.
Bubblegum pop is well, it's trying. Loll. I'll admit, Hanson has been one of my favorite bands, of all time. I'd die laughing and of embarrassment at anywhere else admitting this, most likely. They said, "We love you anyway", at church, Of all places ! Loll, .............

But, it's very boppity and requires a lot of erh, uhm, Energy. It requires a lot of energy.

Very. Boppity. Energy. I'm not sure the genre is for me.

I do like contemporary country music, maybe bubble gum pop wasn't the word for it,

I just know I'm used I used to listen to the likes of Disturbed, and had Nirvana cds in my cd case, etc, and it just, it just didn't seem to fit with everything,

And I did legitimately have an undiagnosed Serious Mental Illness going on in my brain at the time. The dark, and the black, and the chains and etc,
For me at the time it might have been a cry for help.

I am old enough now to know that the dark, and the black, and the chains and etc
doesn't mean you are not a Christian, and frankly, I look terrible in color. A lot of colorful things look awful on me. Loll. So, you will not find me in much white, or much bleached denim blue jeans. Loll.
But, I am old enough to realize that dark, and black doesn't mean not Christian.
When I was 19 it meant that I was having some issues in my brain,

And I got diagnosed I think at 21 ish, I think. It has been an uphill battle since then. Will continue for life.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

tobelieveinHim

Sep 13, 2022
Glendale
✟26,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this thread asking a serious question about Christmas music being evil? I guess I'm a little confused.

Growing up in a conservative Christian household myself, secular music was frowned upon. Even a lot of Christian music too. If it happened to be the wrong genre of music... like rock or rap.

Not sure if my upbringing is one reason, I find black metal to be my favorite genre of music lol. If I ever do have children... I certainly want to make sure they have a less restrictive upbringing and they're able to feel free to express themselves without worrying about every little thing being potentially "evil".

And I mean express themselves. Most kids will listen to whatever they want behind their parents backs anyways. Especially in this day and age with modern technology. I was a little more limited to a radio with headphones... at least when I was really young.
It's not serious. I grew up next to a Fundamentalist Baptist Church. I am being sarcastic in where the likes of "Mmmbop" drive me up a wall to the point of evil sounding bubblegumminess. Kind of the same thing with Christmas music.

It's not serious, But I did spend most of my life near a Fundamentalist Baptist Church. They have, erh, uh, "rubbed off" a bit on me, I think. The evil part is meant to be a joke.

I do believe seriously Halloween is evil, and it's not because of the darkness in decoration.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Bubblegum pop is well, it's trying. Loll. I'll admit, Hanson has been one of my favorite bands, of all time. I'd die laughing and of embarrassment at anywhere else admitting this, most likely. They said, "We love you anyway", at church, Of all places ! Loll, .............

But, it's very boppity and requires a lot of erh, uhm, Energy. It requires a lot of energy.

Very. Boppity. Energy. I'm not sure the genre is for me.

I do like contemporary country music, maybe bubble gum pop wasn't the word for it,
Well, like any other music, there's good bubblegum and bad bubblegum.
I just know I'm used I used to listen to the likes of Disturbed, and had Nirvana cds in my cd case, etc, and it just, it just didn't seem to fit with everything,
Nirvana definitely had a pop sensibility in a lot of their music.
And I did legitimately have an undiagnosed Serious Mental Illness going on in my brain at the time. The dark, and the black, and the chains and etc,
For me at the time it might have been a cry for help.

I am old enough now to know that the dark, and the black, and the chains and etc
doesn't mean you are not a Christian, and frankly, I look terrible in color. A lot of colorful things look awful on me. Loll. So, you will not find me in much white, or much bleached denim blue jeans. Loll.
But, I am old enough to realize that dark, and black doesn't mean not Christian.
When I was 19 it meant that I was having some issues in my brain,

And I got diagnosed I think at 21 ish, I think. It has been an uphill battle since then. Will continue for life.
If you hate color that much I'd recommend the Stones song "Paint It Black", lol. :)

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I agree with you there. Be glad it's just Hallmark. Since Generation X, and the post 1960's media saturated land they grew up in, I don't know how much further the FCC can take it when it comes to television.
I mean, a Christian, a Christian woman, ....................... ? ?
Candace Cameron Bure has entered the chat...her Great American Country channel is pumping out their own line of such films.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The beautiful thing about bad movies is that they can be their own unique form of entertainment. Then, again, I've been a MST3K fan for decades now (including the spin-off RiffTrax stuff they do). It was the only way I was able to survive watching Birdemic or Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Embrace the terrible. Come to the dark side, we have cookies.

-CryptoLutheran
Were it not for the sterling example of the occupants of the Satellite of Love, I would not survive Decembers1

Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hallmark movies are not an example of potential FCC violations. They are as bland and vanilla as something can be.
What we need here is a GIF of Leonard from "Big Bang Theory" holding up a sarcasm sign in response to @tobelieveinHim's comment...

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not serious. I grew up next to a Fundamentalist Baptist Church. I am being sarcastic in where the likes of "Mmmbop" drive me up a wall to the point of evil sounding bubblegumminess. Kind of the same thing with Christmas music.

It's not serious, But I did spend most of my life near a Fundamentalist Baptist Church. They have, erh, uh, "rubbed off" a bit on me, I think. The evil part is meant to be a joke.

I do believe seriously Halloween is evil, and it's not because of the darkness in decoration.

Just worried. You mentioned having mental illness, and I know how religion and mental illness can be devastating mix.

I do wonder the psychological reasons people fall into such thinking. When I was a Christian while I found the hysteria over "evil" things in my household annoying, I did find it appealing in other aspects. For instance, metal music... while I still enjoy metal music as an atheist, I do have to admit the music had a more powerful punch to it when I was a Christian. When I was an atheist... I was quite saddened to this adjustment.

I hear stories about pastors being busted for crazy things and I have to think that the very fact of believing something is forbidden makes it all the more appealing. That for some, this mindset sends them off the rails. For some, religion probably is just a temptress for them and that's part of the sick appeal.

For others it's probably xenophobia on steroids.

Upvote 0

Godsunworthyservant

Dec 10, 2023
WV
✟2,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, I'm not quite sure this belongs here, But I felt like it collaborated with the Halloween thread, the thread about Halloween. Christmas Music!
There are some people who think Christmas music is evil, and then there are some people who think Christmas music is evil. If you are the third category of people that everyone else thinks is annoying? Ok, But seriously now.

Alright, So is Christmas music comforting to you, Or do you not like it ? I think I have given a hint as to what I think about it, But what do you think about it. ? If you are the third category of people that everyone else thinks is annoying, Then that also applies.
When is too soon to start hearing and playing Christmas music ?

I forget how much I like it because I didn't grow up hearing it very often. It is incredibly relaxing to me.
Christmas music is a broad category. That said, I will assume there is a typo in your post based on the repetitive " There are some people who think Christmas music is evil, and then there are some people who think Christmas music is evil." So, if it's a typo, please correct so as to identify the second opinion to which you refer. If it's not, please elaborate as I'm confused. You then speak of a 3rd unidentified category.

At any rate, I think it's impossible to have an opinion on all "Christmas music" as a single category. You can't equate "Silent Night" or "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" with "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" or "Christmas in Prison". So, we have 2 distinct categories. There's "Sacred" and "Secular" Christian music. I could go on, but it's actually pretty irrelevant, except to say that whether I like "Christmas Music" in general is a trap question. I like some Christmas songs. (those that were written by sincere believers about the birth of Christ and were not written for profit) and think that all others are a part of the commercialization of the birth of our Lord and Savior, something I equate with evil.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except it wasn’t, lol.
I wasn't taking your comment as being sarcastic at all. After reading some of your later posts where you defend your preference for so-called "vanilla" entertainment, you and I are of the same opinion.
While I occasionally like a little violence mixed in (ex. pro wrestling and old TV westerns), entertainment SHOULD be escapist in nature. There's too much madness out there and people need a bit of a break.
My initial comment on Hallmark Christmas romance movies was tongue-in-cheek, prompted by a wife who is addicted to said films! It's reached the point where my wife and I can watch them and once introduced to the main characters, are able to guess who will end up with whom and how!

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Favorite Song is "Joy to the World" google Joy to the world hymn
1 Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King!
Let every heart prepare Him room,
and heav'n and nature sing,
and heav'n, and heav'n and nature sing.

2 Joy to the earth, the Savior reigns!
Let men their songs employ,
while fields and floods, rocks, hills, and plains
repeat the sounding joy,
repeat the sounding joy,
repeat, repeat the sounding joy.

3 No more let sins and sorrows grow,
nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
far as the curse is found,
far as, far as the curse is found.

4 He rules the world with truth and grace,
and makes the nations prove
the glories of His righteousness
and wonders of His love,
and wonders of His love,
and wonders, wonders of His love.

Source: Psalms and Hymns to the Living God #219

Best One:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ana Gasteyer is best known as an SNL cast member from the late 90s to be early 2000s. She's an excellent singer, who was trained in classical voice at Northwestern U. She wrote and recorded this. It might be considered irreligious, but it's just meant to be very clever and funny. One of my newer favorites.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My Favorite Song is "Joy to the World" google Joy to the world hymn
1 Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King!
Let every heart prepare Him room,
and heav'n, and heav'n and nature sing.

2 Joy to the earth, the Savior reigns!
Let men their songs employ,
while fields and floods, rocks, hills, and plains
repeat the sounding joy,
repeat the sounding joy,
repeat, repeat the sounding joy.

3 No more let sins and sorrows grow,
nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
far as, far as the curse is found.

4 He rules the world with truth and grace,
and makes the nations prove
the glories of His righteousness
and wonders of His love,
and wonders of His love,
and wonders, wonders of His love.

Source: Psalms and Hymns to the Living God #219

Best One:
Now THAT kind of Christmas music isn't played enough!

Upvote 0