✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good day all!

As some of you who see this may know, I am still new to Christianity and still have a lot of questions so please bear with me. But before I began to accept God and Christ more and more into my life, I was dead set on becoming an officer in the Canadian Armed Forces. More specifically, either an Infantry Officer, Armoured Officer, or an Artillery Officer. I truthfully felt nothing better than my patriotism, until as stated previously the bolder introduction of God. My plan was to serve this year in the Reserve Force, by this summer I would be in the Royal Military College of Canada. However, now I feel a bit... different? I suppose you could say. It is hard to explain what exactly happened, but my overwhelming patriotism sort of fizzled, and that pride isn't entirely there anymore.

I am unsure if it is God calling me to something different, or if it is just fear of being shammed, or doing the wrong thing in God's eyes. Of course "Thou shalt not kill" is one of the biggest commandments we all must follow, and being in the army you are called to kill in the name of your country. Since this I have also considered Priesthood, or possibly being a chaplain in the army (which would require me to be a Priest first, and in Canada a great deal of education on other religions).

If anyone could offer me some advice on this questioning, it would all be sincerely appreciated. Thank-you all in advance!

Absolutely NOT!

He should join the U.S.Marines!!! Gung whatever r r rr

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would find it especially humiliating to serve militarily (or otherwise) under the leadership of our witless, deceitful, child-man Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau.

You need to stop internalizing and tell us how you really feel about him! :wave:

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Paul tells us not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers.

On the basis of that interpretation, no Christian should work for an unbelieving boss or alongside unbelieving workmates.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is my answer:

• All Wars Are Pre Planned Years / Decades in Advance.

• All Major World Events Are Pre Planned Years / Decades in Advance

• All World Leaders Plan Together Major World Scripted Events And Wars

• All War Is Satanic Mass Ritual Human Sacrifice
This is wrong .God is still acting in the world to rebalance and right wrongs of the past .An army based on Christian principles is a necessary part of keeping order
in a disordered world .Officers trained as they should be in a hierachical system which is accountable to all under it's command, is a kind of microcosm of the order within the created universe .
Pacifism is something which can only become possible at the end of time when God has rid the world of all those who strive against Him .Until then while trying to elect and pursue the most honest government possible ,armies will be neccessary to prevent chaos throughout .
Those who are trained both under God ,and under a properly honest disciplined army ,are the salt of the earth , God's children .
Unfortunately atheist governments are a part of the ant -christ ,but God eventually ,is always in control ,and His solutions are long term ,while atheists don't have that facility, as it requires the gift of the Spirit which they are missing .
Each soldier will finally account to God for his individual behaviour as part of that army ,but if he is doing it for the right reasons ,and not for 'glory' ,then he will be good .

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is my answer:

• All Wars Are Pre Planned Years / Decades in Advance.

• All Major World Events Are Pre Planned Years / Decades in Advance

• All World Leaders Plan Together Major World Scripted Events And Wars

• All War Is Satanic Mass Ritual Human Sacrifice

The only thing I can make out of your answer (which is really not an answer at all) is that you feel it was wrong to stop Hitler and Nazi Germany, because...war is always evil no matter who is involved or why they are involved, and there is no such thing as a just war by your worldview.

All that evil needs to succeed is for no one to stand against it. [Edmund Burke]

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Good day all!

As some of you who see this may know, I am still new to Christianity and still have a lot of questions so please bear with me. But before I began to accept God and Christ more and more into my life, I was dead set on becoming an officer in the Canadian Armed Forces. More specifically, either an Infantry Officer, Armoured Officer, or an Artillery Officer. I truthfully felt nothing better than my patriotism, until as stated previously the bolder introduction of God. My plan was to serve this year in the Reserve Force, by this summer I would be in the Royal Military College of Canada. However, now I feel a bit... different? I suppose you could say. It is hard to explain what exactly happened, but my overwhelming patriotism sort of fizzled, and that pride isn't entirely there anymore.

I am unsure if it is God calling me to something different, or if it is just fear of being shammed, or doing the wrong thing in God's eyes. Of course "Thou shalt not kill" is one of the biggest commandments we all must follow, and being in the army you are called to kill in the name of your country. Since this I have also considered Priesthood, or possibly being a chaplain in the army (which would require me to be a Priest first, and in Canada a great deal of education on other religions).

If anyone could offer me some advice on this questioning, it would all be sincerely appreciated. Thank-you all in advance!
I don't think it's wrong to protect those you care for.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I considered joining the military in my early years. I ended up deciding not to and I think it was the best decision I ever made. I'm not saying don't join the military if that's what you want to do but I think joining ministry would be a much better thing.

Technically, the seventh commandment forbids murder. Soldiers in the Canadian army do not commit murder they kill to protect their country. There's a difference between killing in war and murdering someone in cold blood.

Anyway, I would join ministry if I were you. It would be much better to become a minister than to potentially risk your life in warfare. Something to consider. I know sometimes you want to fight to protect your country but there are Christians that need a good sermon too. Perhaps more than military could provide you.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That does not answer the question.

Do you prefer that we did nothing about Hitler and Nazi Germany (and Japan) in the 1940's?
Has every war we've ever fought been against Hilter? Since the OP is Canadian, ditto. Could you provide documentation to show what was in the hearts of those who got us into that war? For example Dinesh D'Souza has some great documentation showing that FDR was really not as Pro American as you might think. Ditto some in the British royalty. What I'm trying to say is, we really only THINK we know all the reasons behind war.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Totally going ignore all the UN missions then?
Also if Canada has similar Rules of Engagement to the UK you cannot take lethal action unless there is an immediate threat to life (innocent or comrades).

Proof?
Have you ever checked out the difference on how the U.N. votes on Israel vs. the Muslims. Mho the U.N. is nothing but a globalist, anti Israel, anti American organization that is making us foot its bills. There are also many messages in their documents and in the art work in that building that are the opposite of Christian. They ain't Christians. They don't even claim to be. Where is their outcry over the Christians being slaughtered every day by Muslims? Can you find a single voice speaking out against abortion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
God's chosen people had an army.

Seems to be part of the plan for us.

M-Bob

They won when the Lord told them to go fight. When they went off on their own and didn't follow his directives, things didn't turn out so well. What leaders have even been asking for His guidance? Very few. Very few. Since the OP is Canadian, do you think Trudeau is going to bow his knees and ask the Lord to lead him?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Many do, and I considered it seriously. Reasons why I felt I had to choose my faith over the military:

- You need to be ready to kill people if you join, whatever role you take. People in non-combat military roles find themselves in combat situations.
- If you kill a Christian, why did you cut his life short. If you fail to kill him and maim him instead, he's got to live with a lot of pain before he gets to go to Heaven.
- If you kill an unbeliever, you have essentially secured his ticket to Hell. Christians are supposed to do the opposite, share the Gospel message so that they can repent, believe on Jesus, and go to Heaven.
- Setting either of these aside, if permissible at all, is a lot more permissible if they are attacking your country. Recently, our wars have not been against nations that have attacked our country or declared war on us. We send our troops out to other countries where they are put in situations where they have to kill. That's not always defending our country. (Note: I do believe military action in Afghanistan was justified after 9/11.)
- In the US, the National Guard and the Reserves are still sent overseas to where we fight wars, which are not always against countries that have attacked us or declared war on us. If they always remained in this country as strictly a defensive backup, I would have considered them as options.

After learning from Iraq, I'll add this: Our government doesn't have the church in the other country in mind when they send troops. Look at the church in Iraq before the 2003 invasion, and look at it now. Amazingly, both the pro-war and anti-war crowds were both wrong at the same time and what each side did when it had power cost our Iraqi brothers and sisters dearly. We bombed ISIS, that's great, but they never would have become a threat had Saddam Hussein (an unjust and evil man) remained in power.

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the basis of that interpretation, no Christian should work for an unbelieving boss or alongside unbelieving workmates.
No, because you can walk out at any time. You are enslaved to unbelievers under oath and penalty of law in the military.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has every war we've ever fought been against Hilter?

I was using a strong example of a just war.

Could you provide documentation to show what was in the hearts of those who got us into that war?

No and I don't need to. I never said that everyone who was involved in World War II had honorable intentions.

For example Dinesh D'Souza has some great documentation showing that FDR was really not as Pro American as you might think.

I never made any claims about FDR, good or bad.

What I'm trying to say is, we really only THINK we know all the reasons behind war.

I never said that every single person who was in World War II had honorable and just reasons. However, one of the primary reasons the USA (and other countries such as Canada and Britain) got involved in World War II was to stop the evil of the Hitler and His Nazi regime. If anyone denies that, they are attempting to revise history (i.e. creating a lie).

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The only thing I can make out of your answer (which is really not an answer at all) is that you feel it was wrong to stop Hitler and Nazi Germany, because...war is always evil no matter who is involved or why they are involved, and there is no such thing as a just war by your worldview.

All that evil needs to succeed is for no one to stand against it. [Edmund Burke]
Evil also can stand when people are too naive and call evil good because they have been duped.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I was using a strong example of a just war.

No and I don't need to. I never said that everyone who was involved in World War II had honorable intentions.

I never made any claims about FDR, good or bad.

I never said that every single person who was in World War II had honorable and just reasons. However, one of the primary reasons the USA (and other countries such as Canada and Britain) got involved in World War II was to stop the evil of the Hitler and His Nazi regime. If anyone denies that, they are attempting to revise history (i.e. creating a lie).
The OP actually refereed to nothing having to do with WW2 or Hitler. He is asking about whether or not to join the military in Canada now in the 21st century.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OP actually refereed to nothing having to do with WW2 or Hitler. He is asking about whether or not to join the military in Canada now in the 21st century.

My point is still valid. The question was about a Christian joining the military. I was using an example of why it is ok for a Christian to join the military. Or am I not allowed to used examples or analogies?

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My point is still valid. The question was about a Christian joining the military. I was using an example of why it is ok for a Christian to join the military. Or am I not allowed to used examples or analogies?
I don't necessarily see a war that happened almost 100 years ago, with a totally different political scene world wide, as being analogous to what is currently the situation in Canada. If you do, that's up to you, of course.

Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
To answer the OP, it's more of can rather than should you. The bible is full of history of Israel and their army, and it being commanded by God to do things. I would say pray.

For those griping about the military is evil or the military is wrong...before you judge those who protect your country, consider picking up a weapon and standing a post. If not, you have no right to judge what they do. Many of you have the right to say these things, under the blanket of freedom provided to you by those you demonize. You cannot rationalize, reason with, bargain with or compromise with those whose only wish is to kill you. If you think this is so, you personally go to one of these places and try to negotiate...I'll send flowers to your next of kin. I'm sickened by some of these comments. To quote Jack Nicholson's character on A Few Good Men:

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know; that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a **** what you think you are entitled to!"

Semper Fi

Upvote 0