Northeast
✟7,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi JLB, I too would like to know the formula LGW would come up with. What I do know is how I and the folks I went to church with (SDA) spent the day while I rubbed elbows with them. Some would make it to Sabbath school and we would study from the quarterly that was prepared usually by someone from the hierarchy. The discussion would most always end up with Ellen White's opinion on the subject. Sometimes I played the Devil's advocate and was attacked with Sister White quotes. They knew their Sister White much better than the scripture I presented. The church service was usually full house. Beautiful music, concerns for others, announcements and interesting sermons. Many of the pastors I sat under preached grace filled sermons. I was lucky in this sense. The first pastor I had was very legalistic which of course swayed me in that direction along with many in the congregation. I had better get back on how Sabbath was kept. After the service people would meet in the vestibule to chat about most any subject we had on our minds like getting the guys together at the golf course tomorrow for a round or talking about Joe's new buick. Woman would compliment each other on their apparel and other women talk. After church some would sneak over to a restaurant for lunch. We knew that from the gossip chain. The rest of us would go home, some to prepared meals made the day before and some that couldn't get everything done the day before would have to start from scratch. In the afternoon some would go on nature walks at the surrounding parks, some would do lay activities (nap) and some would visit friends. I did a lot of visiting so I know what was said in those visits and it was not usually about Holy topics. We were told early on that we should not visit our families because they were not learned in our ways and they might have the TV on or our conversations would not be of a Holy nature. As the day went on our children would keep asking when Sabbath would be over so that they could get on with the things they liked to do. I have to admit I looked forward to it ending too. Oh yes, sometimes we would go to vespers until the sun set.

According to our friends, my wife and I Fridays were hectic to say the least. We always had a list of so many things to get done before the sun set and so many times the list had undone items or we would not guard the edges (SDA cliche for stop doing domestic things a jif before the sun set.) and do some things like getting our baths. Only we knew of course. I should have studied the Sabbath school quarterly but invariably I would fall asleep, so all I really did was to glance at it and in class would fake it. I became pretty good at it. I presume I was not alone. Speaking of faking it, even if we had something really bothering us Sabbath was the day to fake it and put on that big smile so that no one could tell something was not right.

That is a glimpse of Sabbath "keeping" I observed concerning those I know and even myself. This is my story and I am sticking with it.

For a chucrh that adds only a handful, 700,000 is an awfully big one for one year's growth (2017-2018—the most recent period I could find in a quick search). That's about 2000 members per day. And then, of course, there are reports like this:

New Adventist Church Opens Every 3.5 Hours, Fastest Rate in History

Being the church's official periodical, I'm sure someone would be at the ready to fact-check and debunk it if it were untrue.

Bob, you will say nearly anything and everything to smear the church. This isn't a baseless charge. All anyone has to do is click on the Search field at the top of any forum page, make sure the "Search this forum only" box is unticked, type "Bob S" into the "Posted by Member:" field, hit -Enter-, click search, and as of this date you will find 288 pages of links to virtually nothing but war on Sabbath-keepers, in general, and the Adventist church, in particular, complete from the founders to the laity. You say you have no desire to trash anyone, but the history is plain for anyone to see. In black-and-white.

No flaming, no goading
Just indisputable facts

No "story" to "stick with" required.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry dear friend. Wrong answer. Please read post # 783.

Thankyou

Please stop repeating “wrong answer” to my question.

I’m not answering a question.

I’m Asking a very simple and reasonable question.

I’ve read your link and reposted it for all to see that it in no way provided an answer to my question, but only repeats the ole things I have addressed.

So how are we to observe the Sabbath today under the New Covenant?

Does that mean we can not cook, or travel, or do laundry on the Sabbath.

How is Sabbath observance different under the New Covenant ?

As you can see, I am not indicating that the God’s Commandments are abolished, but I’m asking you questions as to how we as Christians are to go about observing the Sabbath today, under the New Covenant.

Please use scripture.

JLB

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟661,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a chucrh that adds only a handful, 700,000 is an awfully big one for one year's growth (2017-2018—the most recent period I could find in a quick search). That's about 2000 members per day. And then, of course, there are reports like this:

New Adventist Church Opens Every 3.5 Hours, Fastest Rate in History

Being the church's official periodical, I'm sure someone would be at the ready to fact-check and debunk it if it were untrue.
What does all that information have to do with how SDAs keep the Sabbath? I notice you didn't refute my experience in Sabbath keeping. Since you derailed the topic I would remind you that the growth of the church is in Third World countries. My thought is that because of Adventists medical work in third world countries is why the church's growth is so spectacular. How about telling us the truth about growth in Europe, Canada and United States.

Bob, you will say nearly anything and everything to smear the church. This isn't a baseless charge.
And you will do and say anything to promote a church that really started on falsehood and has not changed much since. This is not a baseless charge either. I tell it like it is with scripture to prove that the church is not the "remnant" like it claims to be.

All anyone has to do is click on the Search field at the top of any forum page, make sure the "Search this forum only" box is unticked, type "Bob S" into the "Posted by Member:" field, hit -Enter-, click search, and as of this date you will find 288 pages of links to virtually nothing but war on Sabbath-keepers, in general, and the Adventist church, in particular, complete from the founders to the laity.
I submit in my posts the heresies the church teaches. If I have ever said anything, "war on Sabbath keepers" I apologize. I try to keep my posts directed to the church and not the laity. Since you have the key to opening my posts then you should be able to drag out all the posts where I trample on the laity. Since you made the claim you owe it to me and the readers of these posts to prove you accusations. Just make sure of the context as to why I may have cited an individual. The fact is I have, many times, defended the laity. Adventist people are among the finest people in the World and that includes some of my family. Their work for humanity is the tops. Why didn't you make mention of that fact? Could it be because you really wanted to trash me?

You say you have no desire to trash anyone, but the history is plain for anyone to see. In black-and-white.
I say that what you just wrote is trashing me. By the way, I was in the church many years and I know how the church "trashes" other churches, so my friend, don't get so high and mighty. Adventism's stand concerning other churches is not lilly white by any means.

No flaming, no goading
Just indisputable facts
That is disputable.

No "story" to "stick with" required.
Maybe you need one.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Please stop repeating “wrong answer” to my question.

I’m not answering a question.

I’m Asking a very simple and reasonable question.

I’ve read your link and reposted it for all to see that it in no way provided an answer to my question, but only repeats the ole things I have addressed.

As you can see, I am not indicating that the God’s Commandments are abolished, but I’m asking you questions as to how we as Christians are to go about observing the Sabbath today, under the New Covenant.

Please use scripture.

JLB

I always use scripture dear friend, thanks for asking but sorry wrong response. Please read post # 783.

Thankyou

Upvote 0

Jesse Johnson

Mar 2, 2020
Northeast
✟7,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What does all that information have to do with how SDAs keep the Sabbath?
Nothing. It was simply a response to another one of your insults which also had nothing to do with how "SDAs" keep the Sabbath.

By the way, what does the way "SDAs keep the Sabbath" have to do with Colossians, ch. 2?

Since you derailed the topic
Actually, it was you.

I notice you didn't refute my experience in Sabbath keeping.
I didn't want to rub in the fact that it's merely a fulfillment of the "not one in twenty" statement. You seem to think that the behavior of the majority of a church's membership is somehow related to the validity of its doctrine. It's almost like you never read the Old Testament at all, nor these words by the Great Apostle:

But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

1 Corinthians 10:5-11

How many of the original camp of Israel entered the promise land? Practically none.

Even Socrates is believed to have said that a belief system should never be judged by its abuse. Or, as one contemporary Adventist teacher puts it: "We should feel sorry for mean people. We should pity them. But don't you know that the truth is true even when mean people say it?"

I would remind you that the growth of the church is in Third World countries.
Yes, a Christ-centered Gospel isn't really very popular in the U.S. these days. The Adventist church isn't the only denomination suffering in that respect. Only about 16% of the world's population resides in the U.S., Europe, and Canada. So why shouldn't most of our efforts and resources be expended in other parts of the world?

Isn't the growth of the church in Third World countries important?

My thought is that because of Adventists medical work in third world countries is why the church's growth is so spectacular.
Perhaps we should stop using Christ's method to see if it validates your "thought?"

What about Asia? They account for over 1/3 of global membership. How much do you think we're contributing to their healthcare system overall?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ok.

So I got to this point and I thought:

"Why should I waste any more of my time jumping through hoops for this scoffer?"

If I have ever said anything, "war on Sabbath keepers" I apologize.
But they can't hear you. There are dozens and dozens (quite possibly hundreds) of victims that aren't watching this thread.

you owe it to me and the readers of these posts to prove you accusations.
Bob, I don't mind telling you that I don't owe you or anyone else here a thing.

Anyone who wishes to see the trend of your contribution here at CF can simply follow the steps I outlined in post #801. It's not rocket science. It's a simple search tool built into the forum web site. There's no "key."

My experience of how others appear to keep the Sabbath is not for sale at any price. Just as I would decline to carry tales of how they order the rest of their moral affairs. Man sees the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.

This might be a good point at which to reflect on part of what the OP is about:

"So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths"
Colossians 2:16

Does your interpretation of this verse suggest anything about how you relate your experience of others' Sabbath-keeping, Bob?

It would seem there is a double-standard emerging here. It's positively reprehensible to suggest (or "force/make," as you so often put it) that God might actually require the observance of His Sabbath, but slicing and dicing up others' manner of observing it is A-okay, especially after you've decided it doesn't matter anymore.

I don't give half-a-hoot what you think about Adventist church growth or Sabbath culture. The fact that, for forty years, you went along with what you now call a sham and expect everyone to trust your judgment speaks for itself. I just wanted to go on record as saying that your "handful" remark was just more of your hateful rhetoric.

You say I'll do and say anything to promote the Adventist church. How could you possibly know what I do? As far as what I say goes: I haven't once engaged in any kind of promotion of the church; never appealed to anyone to join, support, or attend. And never even used the word "remnant" once until this very moment. Never. Not once. Ever.

All I say on CF is geared toward appealing to others to consider that the law they've been taught to break is the one of which Christ was found guilty by God of breaking, at Calvary, which cost Him the destruction of His Soul in our stead.

That's not a story. I don't need one. And my reputation is of no consequence.

"Christ and Him crucified" rests on its own merit.

Reactions: JLB777
Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always use scripture dear friend, thanks for asking but sorry wrong response. Please read post # 783.

Thankyou

Obviously you have provided no scripture, nor have you answered my questions.

Maybe someone else who is an Adventist, can answer, since you can’t seem to.

Please use scripture.

JLB

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nothing. It was simply a response to another one of your insults which also had nothing to do with how "SDAs" keep the Sabbath.

By the way, what does the way "SDAs keep the Sabbath" have to do with Colossians, ch. 2?

Actually, it was you.

I didn't want to rub in the fact that it's merely a fulfillment of the "not one in twenty" statement. You seem to think that the behavior of the majority of a church's membership is somehow related to the validity of its doctrine. It's almost like you never read the Old Testament at all, nor these words by the Great Apostle:

But with most of them God was not well pleased, for their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

1 Corinthians 10:5-11

How many of the original camp of Israel entered the promise land? Practically none.

Even Socrates is believed to have said that a belief system should never be judged by its abuse. Or, as one contemporary Adventist teacher puts it: "We should feel sorry for mean people. We should pity them. But don't you know that the truth is true even when mean people say it?"

Yes, a Christ-centered Gospel isn't really very popular in the U.S. these days. The Adventist church isn't the only denomination suffering in that respect. Only about 16% of the world's population resides in the U.S., Europe, and Canada. So why shouldn't most of our efforts and resources be expended in other parts of the world?

Isn't the growth of the church in Third World countries important?

Perhaps we should stop using Christ's method to see if it validates your "thought?"

What about Asia? They account for over 1/3 of global membership. How much do you think we're contributing to their healthcare system overall?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ok.

So I got to this point and I thought:

"Why should I waste any more of my time jumping through hoops for this scoffer?"

But they can't hear you. There are dozens and dozens (quite possibly hundreds) of victims that aren't watching this thread.

Bob, I don't mind telling you that I don't owe you or anyone else here a thing.

Anyone who wishes to see the trend of your contribution here at CF can simply follow the steps I outlined in post #801. It's not rocket science. It's a simple search tool built into the forum web site. There's no "key."

My experience of how others appear to keep the Sabbath is not for sale at any price. Just as I would decline to carry tales of how they order the rest of their moral affairs. Man sees the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.

This might be a good point at which to reflect on part of what the OP is about:

"So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths"
Colossians 2:16

Does your interpretation of this verse suggest anything about how you relate your experience of others' Sabbath-keeping, Bob?

It would seem there is a double-standard emerging here. It's positively reprehensible to suggest (or "force/make," as you so often put it) that God might actually require the observance of His Sabbath, but slicing and dicing up others' manner of observing it is A-okay, especially after you've decided it doesn't matter anymore.

I don't give half-a-hoot what you think about Adventist church growth or Sabbath culture. The fact that, for forty years, you went along with what you now call a sham and expect everyone to trust your judgment speaks for itself. I just wanted to go on record as saying that your "handful" remark was just more of your hateful rhetoric.

You say I'll do and say anything to promote the Adventist church. How could you possibly know what I do? As far as what I say goes: I haven't once engaged in any kind of promotion of the church; never appealed to anyone to join, support, or attend. And never even used the word "remnant" once until this very moment. Never. Not once. Ever.

All I say on CF is geared toward appealing to others to consider that the law they've been taught to break is the one of which Christ was found guilty by God of breaking, at Calvary, which cost Him the destruction of His Soul in our stead.

That's not a story. I don't need one. And my reputation is of no consequence.

"Christ and Him crucified" rests on its own merit.

I wonder why he doesn’t try to answer any of our questions.

It’s sad.

God bless you.

JLB

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Obviously you have provided no scripture, nor have you answered my questions.

Maybe someone else who is an Adventist, can answer, since you can’t seem to.

Please use scripture.

JLB

Sorry dear friend wrong answer. Please read post # 783.

Thankyou

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON
Members! Please note that this thread was intended to be closed in post #793 a few pages back. YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THE MOD HAT AND CEASED FROM POSTING.

The thread is now closed. Stop goading. If you can't abide by the rules, just put the person on Ignore.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited:
Reactions: JLB777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.