Sep 4, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟7,924.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not entirely sure on your first question, I don't see why it would slow your healing - after all if your comfortable enough to do it then your healing must be going alright eh!

Breastfeeding (despite the myths) does not stop you from getting pregnant. So I'd recommend using B.C now. I've heard of people who thought it was a form of b.c and have fallen pregnant while bfing. :)

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

The main thing to look for in reinitiating physical intimacy after birth is whether or not you have stopped bleeding. If you have- it shouldn't be an issue. My hubby and I made it to 3 weeks, then waited another week or so--and this has been my best post partum recovery by far!

Are you asking because you feel that this has impeded your healing in some way?

It is not a myth that breastfeeding causes ammenoreah. It really does suppress ovulation...however how long it suppresses ovulation varies from woman to woman depending on many factors-- whether or not the baby is getting any artificial nipples, how strong baby's suck is, whether or not baby is nursing throughout the night, the space between feedings-and just genetics.

If you are contemplating chemical contraception- be aware that it can have very detrimental effects on your milk supply.

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Usually, full-time, on-demand bfing will keep hormones in your system that will prevent pregnancy. However, I'd say talk to doc about it at your 6wk appointment. Doc will probably tell you to wait until baby is supplementing (with water, cereal or food). Then, a progesterone-only pill will be enough until you're finished nursing.

Rachel

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends. Did you have a vaginal birth or a cesearean? Everyones healing is different. I had a vaginal birth and bled for 7 straight weeks afterward..so for me it wouldnt have been a good thing to be having sex after 4 weeks..my body wasnt ready. If you felt comfortable, your not bleeding, it didnt hurt..then chances are its ok.

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The main thing to look for in reinitiating physical intimacy after birth is whether or not you have stopped bleeding. If you have- it shouldn't be an issue. My hubby and I made it to 3 weeks, then waited another week or so--and this has been my best post partum recovery by far!

Are you asking because you feel that this has impeded your healing in some way?

It is not a myth that breastfeeding causes ammenoreah. It really does suppress ovulation...however how long it suppresses ovulation varies from woman to woman depending on many factors-- whether or not the baby is getting any artificial nipples, how strong baby's suck is, whether or not baby is nursing throughout the night, the space between feedings-and just genetics.

If you are contemplating chemical contraception- be aware that it can have very detrimental effects on your milk supply.
I agree completely. You NEED to wait until you've stopped bleeding. That's a physical signal that your cervix has closed up (which is Very important~ you don't want a uterine infection. The risks of getting one are Far higher when you're on your period, or postpartum and still bleeding.)

I also agree completely about the breastfeeding part~ it is NOT a "myth" that breastfeeding suppresses ovulation. It is a scientific medical fact that breastfeeding does indeed suppress ovulation. However, each woman's individual body and levels of hormones do play in also, along with how often the baby nurses. Night nursing is very important. (With my 2nd to last baby, I didn't get my period back until he was 15 months old. Then I got pregnant with my last baby, who was 17.5 months old before I got my period back. I was nursing on demand, day & night~ no schedule.)

You should wait until you stop bleeding to have sex, and at Least until 6 weeks until you start any kind of bc. Hormonally based/chemical bc WILL affect your milk supply, so be very careful. A much better choice of bc would be a barrier method (like condoms) while breastfeeding.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The ladies have it well covered... just keep and eye (and a nose;)) out for infection. If you notice any bad odours get it checked out.

As for birth control. Ovulation returns at different times for different women. Breastfeeding does suppress ovulation, but really you can't know when it will return for you after this pregnancy. You will probably ovulate before you have your first period, so waiting until you have a bleed will not be effective if you need to space your children. I would also warn against hormonal birth control.

Congratulations on your new child!

Upvote 0
J

Jemma

I second this. Condoms are probably the best way to go if you want to be extra-careful. I wouldn't rely on breastfeeding only, as a contraception. My friend was a champion breast-feeder - she used to donate excess milk (even after freezing what she needed) to one of the local organisations that help with newborn babies. She also got pregnant before a period post-partum, exclusively breastfeeding. What a shock to her and her DH that was!

Unfortunately I have personal experience with chemical contraception. I'm not sure if it was ONLY the mini-pill (progesterone-only pill) or other factors that contributed, but my milk went haywire quickly. I had Post-Natal Depression too, though, so that could've been related. Very distressing time. Still upsets me today, even though DD is over two years old.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

RoseofLima

No one has mentioned it so far, but learn natural family planning, or the Billings Method. This teaches you your signs of returning fertility, so there isn't any 'guesswork' about when to use bc or not.

Hope this helps
That's what we use! I heart Billings because I am seriously lazy- and I like that I don't have to do anything to monitor my fertility:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's what we use! I heart Billings because I am seriously lazy- and I like that I don't have to do anything to monitor my fertility:thumbsup:
We use Billings too and are currently monitoring the return of fertility after pregnancy. Yay for Billings!:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums