tigersgrowl1093

Looking Towards the East.
May 6, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not worried about Communion this Sunday, because my parish serves Communion to whoever is Chrismated on that day first, but am worried for subsequent Divine Liturgies where I am no longer the first to receive.

However, I understand that not everyone is required to fast before Communion (young, elderly, ill, nursing and pregnant mothers), correct? Also, not everyone may follow the command to fast before.

If someone has some pb on their toast and then receives, I can go into anaphylactic shock. I plan to discuss this with Fr C this afternoon, but I want to go in there with some possible solutions. This is my allergy, so I do not want to just throw this at him and say "figure this out".

I have read a Bishop usually must approve of some accommodations, correct?

God bless.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not worried about Communion this Sunday, because my parish serves Communion to whoever is Chrismated on that day first, but am worried for subsequent Divine Liturgies where I am no longer the first to receive.

However, I understand that not everyone is required to fast before Communion (young, elderly, ill, nursing and pregnant mothers), correct? Also, not everyone may follow the command to fast before.

If someone has some pb on their toast and then receives, I can go into anaphylactic shock. I plan to discuss this with Fr C this afternoon, but I want to go in there with some possible solutions. This is my allergy, so I do not want to just throw this at him and say "figure this out".

I have read a Bishop usually must approve of some accommodations, correct?

God bless.
Hi, TG,
I don't understand. If somebody ELSE has pb on toast you can go into a.s.??? And what does that have to do with communion, especially as everyone who receives fasts for roughly half a day at minimum before receiving?

Upvote 0

Shiranui117

Sack of Hammers
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
✟16,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Hi, TG,
I don't understand. If somebody ELSE has pb on toast you can go into a.s.???
For some people with severe nut allergies, even residual amounts of nutty oil can kill them. I have a friend like that.

And what does that have to do with communion, especially as everyone who receives fasts for roughly half a day at minimum before receiving?
^This is an excellent point. TC, I honestly wouldn't worry about it; it seems incredibly unlikely that you would come into contact with peanut oil in any way during Holy Communion, even if you're the very last layman to receive. Besides, no one's going to come to DL with peanut butter all over their face and teeth. :D

Upvote 0

tigersgrowl1093

May 6, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sure that not everyone who receives actually fasts as they should. A very small amount of peanut protein, which remains in saliva at least until the next meal is consumed, and even then, trace amounts can be present, can easily transfer to the Communion spoon.

If my husband consumes peanut butter, I can not kiss him for at least 24 hours. That is the nature of peanut proteins. Toothpaste does not wash them away.

That is my concern. The idea of receiving Communion and then worrying the whole time if my throat is closing, if my lips are really itchy or if it is in my imagination - that is a reality.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,066.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
TG - OK I'm not Orthodox but do believe me that Orthodox ( and for that matter Eastern Catholics ) do take the Pre-Communion fast strictly . Those I know fast as I do - nothing is eaten after the evening meal the night before.

If you are that sensitive it would be as well to mention it to your priest and perhaps ensure that you have an Epipen with you as a back up in case of an unexpected exposure but it should not happen in most Churches as Slavic folk do not actually come in contact with the Spoon .

Upvote 0

xenia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Ultimate West
✟26,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While adults may keep the pre-communion fast strictly, little kids (who love peanut butter) are not required to keep it. I think the best solution would be for the priest to allow you to go first each time. And trust in the efficacy of the Lord's Blood and Body to protect you.

And I know of several cases of people who modify the fast to suit themselves, thinking they know better.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I spoke with Fr and he said it is "poured" into the mouth from the spoon, not taken in by the recipient. I am comfortable with that. He understood my concern but said there are quite a few children with a peanut allergy and there have never been any issues.

I am accustomed to "closed mouth" communion, and that is how I always receive. But I once visited a parish that did the "flip" (and this was when I learned that there are poeple who don't press their lips around the spoon). I opened my mouth to receive and began to close my mouth. At the same time the priest did a very fast flip of the spoon inside my mouth, and I just about got a couple teeth knocked out. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Definitely tell the priest. He can help handle the rest.

Little kids do eat before communion, but it would not be an imposition for the families in the parish to rule out peanut snacks before church.

Okay, I am not Orthodox, but wanted to say that it's not that simple. My daughter has a severe peanut & egg allergy. Even if a family avoids obvious sources of peanut for example (such as peanut butter), they may not be aware of other sources that aren't quite as obvious or know how to properly read food labels. So, I can really empathize with the OP. I am going to visit an EOC this Sunday & if my family were ever to convert the allergy issue would be a concern.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I am not Orthodox, but wanted to say that it's not that simple. My daughter has a severe peanut & egg allergy. Even if a family avoids obvious sources of peanut for example (such as peanut butter), they may not be aware of other sources that aren't quite as obvious or know how to properly read food labels. So, I can really empathize with the OP. I am going to visit an EOC this Sunday & if my family were ever to convert the allergy issue would be a concern.

yeah that is why you bring it up to your priest. the priest who received me has a severe allergy to peanuts (like he cannot enter a Five Guys because they use peanut oil on their fries), and he has been a priest for over 30 years. they will find a way to take care of any allergens.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why would someone assure the OP that they have nothing to worry about, because we Orthodox take pre-communion fast seriously?

Not only children, but also some infirm are allowed to eat prior to communion. There are also people who are lax in their discipline... Even monks can be so, so why not laypeople? Sure, everyone can be told to avoid peanuts products prior to Communion... But do we trust one person's very life on the hope that no-one will forget(perhaps in a low-blood-sugar episode), or a new or careless care-person feeding an infirm person pre-liturgy?

I am glad this situation has come to a reasonable solution, but people... let's please try not to be so cavalier about other people's lives.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yeah, if this is a fear you have, I would bring it up with your priest. but we do take the pre communion fast strictly, so you should not have anything to worry about.

However, there are cases where people can't do the strict fast prior to Communion due to health conditions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However, there are cases where people can't do the strict fast prior to Communion due to health conditions.

I know, we are talking about peanut specific stuff. that is why I said that if the priest is spoken to, he would take care of things.

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The only way you will ever get sick or suffer anything from receiving Holy Communion is the receive it unworthily (not that anyone is worthy). One of our parish priests just mentioned the other day the fact that the priest who after the Liturgy consumes the remaining communion which contains the germs of every person who communes never gets sick. No matter what other people have eaten or what diseases they have you will NOT get sick from receiving the Body and Blood of Christ after them. St John of Shanghai and SF consumed the Communion that had been spat out by a woman with rabies and suffered nothing. Even if the person in front of you communes with a mouth full of peanuts you will NOT get sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I do not doubt the life giving truth of the precious blood of Christ. The spoon, though of precious metal, is not holy of itself and is perfectly able to hold onto other things, larger than germs but invisible to the eye, such as peanut oil.

Also, we do not believe the wine to lose its sensual properties of being wine, nor the bread also.

This is why persons with gluten allergies receive separately.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think in the end it really comes down to, Do you REALLY believe that this is the Body and Blood of Christ? Are you willing to bet your life on it?

It is certainly right to take reasonable precautions: "Do not tempt the Lord your God".

But having done so - having informed the priest, and done whatever else you can, you have to decide - do you really believe it, or only when nothing is at stake?

We have epidemics go around from time to time here in Russia - especially the flu in various forms. But we still go to the Chalice.

So by all means, take precautions and do nothing foolish. But receiving from the Chalice is not foolish.

People have been doing this for upwards of two thousand years, and no one has ever been able to hang transmission of disease, let alone death, on the practice.

Upvote 0

tigersgrowl1093

May 6, 2010
✟7,676.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I can see where the confusion is coming from.

I absolutely believe that the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ. However, the Body and Blood of Christ do not mysteriously go into our mouths without the help of the spoon. If someone eats peanut butter, the protein will go onto the spoon.

As I stated, I am comfortable with Father's level of comfort on the issue. He said there are quite a few children with food allergies who have no adverse effects from the shared spoon. Plus, for most people, he flips it into their mouth. Some still close their mouth on it I believe, but it is generally not done here.

I trust Father's judgement on this issue.

Upvote 0