Seperation of Church and State gone too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is one thing to have separation of church and state. It is quite another to have universities that are funded through state and federal taxes but where lecturers stand before their classes and blatantly tell them that they will spend the entire quarter attacking religion, especially Christianity and Judaism.

I witnessed this in a philosophy class that was a required course for all students attending that university. The professor went on to say that his goal was to have at least 1/3 of the class become agnostics and another 1/3 become atheists as a direct result of his lectures. Then for the rest of the quarter, every lecture was aimed at an attempt to tear down religion, with special bile directed at Christianity and Judaism.

And why was he doing this? In order to promote his 'pet' philosophy, he first had to negate the moral directives contained in both these major religions. Then he taught a philosophy called 'hard determinism', in which ho one has any control over what they think, say and do, and therefore there is no such thing as good and evil.

Well, this professor is entitled to their opinion, but I do agree that indoctrination of any kind should be kept out of the classroom.

I'm not sure that this is a church/state issue as much as it's a "how the university system works" issue.
Ringo

Reactions: Texas Lynn
Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No reputable historians even consider Barton a reputable historian. He is, as you rightly pointed out, an ideologue and propagandist - one who paints himself as an expert on this issue, but knows nothing about it.
Ringo

Barton is also a member of the Republican National Committee.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is one thing to have separation of church and state. It is quite another to have universities that are funded through state and federal taxes but where lecturers stand before their classes and blatantly tell them that they will spend the entire quarter attacking religion, especially Christianity and Judaism.

I witnessed this in a philosophy class that was a required course for all students attending that university. The professor went on to say that his goal was to have at least 1/3 of the class become agnostics and another 1/3 become atheists as a direct result of his lectures. Then for the rest of the quarter, every lecture was aimed at an attempt to tear down religion, with special bile directed at Christianity and Judaism.

And why was he doing this? In order to promote his 'pet' philosophy, he first had to negate the moral directives contained in both these major religions. Then he taught a philosophy called 'hard determinism', in which ho one has any control over what they think, say and do, and therefore there is no such thing as good and evil.

This is as much inappopriate as would be a professor using his lectern to get people to affiliate with his religion were it something theistic.

I would have to say in most cases I suspect this professor would do very poorly in student evaluations and this would be taken into consideration as needed. Certainly tenure would be a factor but while administration may address a complaining student's needs without affecting the offending professor's status faculty politics in most circumstances do not accomodate that sort of dogmaticism.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Rev. Roger Williams used the phrase prior to Jefferson.

For those who don't know, Roger Williams was the Baptist Minister run out of Massachusetts by the Puritans who founded Rhode Island as a refuge for religious dissidents. From the beginning Rhode Island developed a vigorous tradition of freedom that we would do well to emulate today.

Upvote 0

champuru

I don't know what I want to put here. Suggestions?
Jan 5, 2008
Infront of my computer
✟15,730.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love the way Barton tries to equate Democrats to the KKK :D
He doesnt even have a degree in any kind of history, he was just a science teacher (no doubt what kind of "science" he taught) that decided he was a historian one day. By that same measure I'm a historian because I had to research where this guy was wrong ;)

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That fits. His interests on this issue aren't historical, but agenda-driven.
Ringo

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.