Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The resistance in Iraq caused some havoc with improvised explosives and even then they didn't stop the occupation. Maybe civilians need more explosives? Then we could fantasize about beating the government better.

Or biological weapons? Since the destructiveness of the weapon isn't as important as making sure that it is accessible to every Tom, Dick and Harry who wants one.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Civilians could certainly acquire explosives. Military equipment could be commandeered. Facing a brutal government crackdown, freedom is certainly more attainable with small arms than without.

A brutal government crackdown on what?

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how the shooter's mother obtained one then....or are you implying the description used by the media to describe the weapon is incorrect?

Guide-to-Firearms1.jpg

And yes, I am sticking to the actual definition of the word rather than perpetuating its misuse. A cat is a mammal but by merit of its mammal-ness a cat will never be a dog. Simply calling a cat a dog a bunch of times even though they are both mammals will not EVER make a cat actually a dog. Truth just doesn't flex like that. So yeah, non-assault weapons are not assault weapons merely because people who don't know diddly about guns call them that.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I prefer my chances against that government with hand guns and rifles like the Bushmaster as opposed to without them.

And your chances might be even better with a fully automatic weapon or a SAM to take out the black helicopters...

I'm still waiting on a good reason why I need to own a semi-automatic weapon in order to defend myself from any entity including our government.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And your chances might be even better with a fully automatic weapon or a SAM to take out the black helicopters...

I'm still waiting on a good reason why I need to own a semi-automatic weapon in order to defend myself from any entity including our government.
Perhaps you could tell us how you would defend yourself from a brutal government. Then again, maybe you would just give in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Because my revolver is big and heavy, sometimes I want something that conceals a little easier. I mean seriously:
521543_10200222183820063_1470291245_n.jpg

The semi-autos are obviously smaller and lighter, that old communist gun is even significantly narrower than the CZ. In terms of practicality, sometimes I just don't want to carry a huge revolver on my hip, it doesn't go with some outfits during warmer seasons. Sometimes I can make do with just a 9x18 or a .40 and I don't need a .454. Why should I be limited to a big revolver that can breach most body armor or at least pulverize any bones under it? Why shouldn't I be able to carry my semi-compacts and military grade sidearms?

Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
As I recall, terrorists in Iraq wreaked havoc on that very same military you just mentioned. And I prefer my chances against that government with hand guns and rifles like the Bushmaster as opposed to without them

Uh huh. And tell me, do you actually think Iraq is doing well against the US military? Seriously, if the US military were to use full-force (remember you have hypothesized a government gone rogue here, the US government in your hypothetical has turned against its own people).

Basically the "insurgents" in Iraq themselves exist outside of normal life, and that isn't how most Americans currently live and it would take a generation or two before we got to that level of disability that we'd become "wolverines" or whatever.

On top of that if the US military were allowed to go "full metal jacket" on 'em don't you think that Iraq would wind up a whole lot worse off?

Now map this back onto your hypothetical scenario where the government of the US has decided to subdue it's own people. Do you think suddenly public opinion polls and international oprobrium would stay the hands of the military?

Really?

Wow. Even the fever dreams of the Right can't leverage reality.

Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
But it's for our own good ;)

Or the good of 20 first graders. Or the good of dozens of college kids. Or the good of Gabby Giffords (don't you love how she's bouncing back after that? It's astounding that someone who used to be a clear spoken politician can now walk and mutter a few words while standing with the help of someone else! It's a real inspiration!)

I'm especially loving the talk now that we need to have armed kindergarten teachers. That's brilliant.

Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
A serious discussion on gun control? About time.

It won't happen. We are a nation built on guns and "In Guns We Trust". We worship the mighty right to bear arms.

This will pass. We won't address whatever problem is inside us that makes us the home of this sort of nightmare.

And in a few months or weeks when it happens again we'll wring our hands and shed our tears and write out long diatribes about how we are heartbroken and saddened and then start the whole cycle over again.

We are at the mercy of the Blue Steel God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I doubt they will ban semi-automatic hand guns. It will probably end up being like the last assault weapon ban we had. I was actually buying my dad an "assault rifle" for Christmas so I think I'll get it as soon as possible. The ban wont be the end of the world and it wont make us slaves just like it didn't last time though. In fact there are millions of more important issues out there.

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now map this back onto your hypothetical scenario where the government of the US has decided to subdue it's own people. Do you think suddenly public opinion polls and international oprobrium would stay the hands of the military?

Um, you missed something important. The people in the military make an oath at enlistment. The protection of the Constitution comes first in that oath. a few rogue military units supporting the traitors would get mopped pretty quick by loyalists. The assumption that the whole military would join the traitors is as unflattering as it is unrealistic.

Upvote 0