• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Sen. Diane Feinstein to Introduce Gun Control Bill

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by Rion, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Rion

Rion Annuit Cœptis Supporter

+6,196
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Sen. Diane Feinstein to Introduce Gun Control Bill | KTLA 5

Never let a crisis go to waste.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. kermit

kermit Legend

+777
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Both side of the gun issue are abusing this tradegy for their own purposes.

3. stamperben

stamperben It's an old family tradition

+4,050
    Humanist
    Private
    And I just signed a petition asking Obama to begin the debate on why this latest tragedy happened. In comments I told him to get behind this bill of hers.

4. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Well-Known Member

+4,395
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Widowed
    Gun control is not about making political capital out of a tragedy. It is about instituting greater protection for everyone, including children in school.

As I have said elsewhere, protecting the constitution does not rank higher than protecting little children and their teachers from being murdered in a classroom. Something certainly has to be done; whether this bill is the answer I do not know, but something has to change.

5. DuneSoldier

DuneSoldier Regular Member

+21
    Christian
    Single
    And the gun manufacturers shall rejoice as the value of "pre-ban" components will go up.

6. MachZer0

MachZer0 Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place

+1,509
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Protecting people cannot be done at the expense of the Constitution.

We dare not exchange our liberty for an assumed security

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  7. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+6,086
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Freedom is not absolute.

Name one good reason why I need to own a Bushmaster .223 Assault Rifle in order to defend myself.

8. MachZer0

+1,509
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    In case your government turns on you. :wave:

9. Jro

Jro Guest

+0
    Your neighbor has one and do you trust that slimy so and so?

10. Quincunx

Quincunx Newbie

+39
    Atheist
    You mean the same government that currently controls the largest military force on the planet? A military force larger than the next 16 largest militaries put together? A military that has tanks, automatic weapons and nuclear warheads?

That government?

Good luck with the hand-gun-based revolt should that government decide to turn on you.

11. wing2000

+6,086
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The government would be no match for millions of gun owners.

12. Rion

+6,196
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    Good to see you support stripping freedom from law-abiding citizens while ignoring solutions to the actual problem. :wave:

13. MachZer0

+1,509
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    As I recall, terrorists in Iraq wreaked havoc on that very same military you just mentioned. And I prefer my chances against that government with hand guns and rifles like the Bushmaster as opposed to without them

14. MachZer0

+1,509
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    But it's for our own good ;)

15. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Wanderer

+2,533
    Atheist
    Private
    A serious discussion on gun control? About time.

16. Rion

+6,196
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it."
    ~H.L. Mencken

17. Glas Ridire

Glas Ridire Well-Known Member

+118
    Celtic Catholic
    Married
    Bushmaster doesn't sell assault rifles to non-government agencies. I have never seen a Bushmaster Assault rifle on the transferable market.

For the love of PETE! this comes up every time. Why is it that when we have had a Civil War in which soldiers with military equipment went on one side (gray) and soldiers with military equipment stayed in blue uniforms and the two sides fought, along with plenty of civilians in no uniform at all . . . . WHY! WHY do some people figure that if the situation reoccurred, the "blue uniforms would keep all the soldiers and equipment and face off against fat hill billies with lever actions" WHY????? It is as if there was no history taught in school. It is maddening. It makes me want to weep for all those history teachers that apparently haven't had jobs since back when I was in school and they still taught history.
    - -- - - - -
    Um yeah. . . . So, the side that alienates and denigrates the military is also the side that has civillians that wouldn't dream of touching a gun and the side that loves the military and honors them, is also the side full of ex-military folks who tend to still own guns. .. . Hmmm. I wonder how that would pan out? But yeah, stand by your original statement about how all us gun lovers are hopeless against the might of the military. So some zit faced kid following orders is somehow magically superior in every way to someone with combat experience and a more capable rifle. . . . okay. How would a boot camp graduate in glow in the dark ACU's and an M4 stand up against a veteran in multicam carrying a CZ550? Would the most decisive victories be made using modern tech? Probably. Would skirmishes be one sided? Probably not in favor of the Anti-Constitutionalists like a lot of liberals imply.

18. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Drift and Doubt

+118
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Green
    The resistance in Iraq caused some havoc with improvised explosives and even then they didn't stop the occupation. Maybe civilians need more explosives? Then we could fantasize about beating the government better.

19. wing2000

+6,086
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm not sure how the shooter's mother obtained one then....or are you implying the description used by the media to describe the weapon is incorrect?

20. MachZer0

+1,509
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Civilians could certainly acquire explosives. Military equipment could be commandeered. Facing a brutal government crackdown, freedom is certainly more attainable with small arms than without.