Sen. Diane Feinstein to Introduce Gun Control Bill

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
my life-partner is a teacher. . . . I like them, I think they should get raises, but that is off topic.

Bravo! I want to see teachers get more money. Not necessarily more arms but more money.

In all your talk about a nation of gun worshipers, I thought you conveyed that guns already are a standard part of society. Wouldn't it be better if (1)there was safety training to reduce accidental deaths, (2)education on consequence & reality wasn't conveyed almost exclusively through video games, (3)we enforced existing laws and (4)utilized existing resources? I mean really, are those really four points you want to argue against? Arguing against them doesn't seem very common sense-like.
You'll note I didn't argue against them, I clearly acquiesced to the point! If we are a nation dedicated to the gun we must have training.

I'm just not sure that being a nation dedicated to guns is a good idea.

That's always been my stance.

If we are going to be a nation where mass killings are met with a justification of more gun ownership then the only rational approach is to teach people about guns.

But I'm thinking that we must teach them all about the guns. Not just how to aim them, but what they do to a human body. Because in the end, isn't that the point?

It can also help remake entire "looks" or fashion in America!

Here's a great look after brain surgery:

GabrielleGiffords.jpg

Here's another one!
james-brady.jpg

Everybody's smiling!

Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
So if it's true that gun ownership doesn't not correlate with homicide rate, then why should they be banned?

But the other side holds as well. So far the only thing I hear from the NRA-types is that we need more people armed to stop these awful crimes or protect ourselves.

Clearly that is not in evidence from the graph you show. More guns doesn't appear to reduce homicide rates overall in the trend you showed.

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But the other side holds as well. So far the only thing I hear from the NRA-types is that we need more people armed to stop these awful crimes or protect ourselves.

Clearly that is not in evidence from the graph you show. More guns doesn't appear to reduce homicide rates overall in the trend you showed.

Rtc.gif

Look at the map and look at the violent crime rate. . . . Correlation doesn't equal causation, I know . . . . but, what can't be contested is that the CCW laws are trending toward increase while violent crime is trending down. If it is the gun's place in society that is the cause, shouldn't crime be trending up?

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If they take away our guns they could take away our freedom of speech and our freedom of religion. Is America the next North Korea? I hope not.

For real! First they take away heroin and then what's next?! Christianity! The government has gone too far!

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here's a great look after brain surgery:

GabrielleGiffords.jpg

Everybody's smiling!

Didn't bother quoting your full post, which was rather demented. Furthermore, you do realize the shooter in the Gabbie Gifford's case was a "former" Democrat campaign volunteer.

Upvote 0
M

muslimsoldier4life

Well neither does taking guns away. Can you imagine living in a border town with Mexico, and have the US Government take away your guns? Now you just can't shoot a Mexican because he's a drug lord; the ACLU will have a fit with that because you were racial profiling. You can't ask the government to protect you from these people, because the aforementioned organization and the Dems want the Hispanic vote and will sacrifice your freedom and safety for that vote.

Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
FINALLY! Thanks! Let's see what this is!

Can't say this is bad, especially in a country obsessed with guns. If nearly every American is going to have guns, gun safety should be taught.

If we are going to train our kids up from childhood that every horrific gun-related slaughter of innocent children is to be met with a strong "defense" of our right to have more guns then we must inculcate a tendency to use the guns we love so much properly.

In the science section can we discuss the effect of hollow point ammunition on human bodies? Or can we show the Zapruder film (preferably the "image stabilized" version...google it sometime....it's terrifying to finally see JFK's head actually literally explode).

OK, now we've thoroughly imbued their childhood with guns. Every aspect is touched with guns. Granted "guns" in a "good light", but guns. It will help ensure that our nation remains "On Nation Under a Gun".

I can actually get behind this one. Good start. Let's make using a gun to commit a crime a particularly onerous proposition. Even if the gun is not discharged.

That's going to get expensive real fast. Our prisons are overcrowded. And remember in this new era proposed we've trained kids up from childhood to be part of the gun culture, and in fact have made it an almost de rigeur part of daily life.

Why not just enforce a mandatory 1 year of "Border Patrol" duty on the students after high school? By that time they will be pretty good shots and well-trained in gun etiquette. So why not use it?

I would recommend a barbed wire fence the length of the US-Mexico border with line-of-sight guard towers able to lay down overlapping fire should some Mexicans attempt to breach the perimeter.

For that matter, we might have terrorists come in through Canada, so I can't see the harm of a similar fence there (not so much because Canadians want to get into the Stalag, but because terrorists might).

So we as Americans fight tooth and nail to NOT give teacher raises but we'll pay for armed school security? OK. At least we have priorities.

"Voluntary"? Don't we already pay for National Guard service? This sounds like relying on government to help us.

Why not just let the kids we're training with the guns inthe schools patrol the hallways? Hall monitors....like in the olden days...only now packin' heat.

Well, it's a start. I am not sure if loading more guns on our society or making guns into a standard part of our society is necessarily the best answer but I guess if we are in it for a penny we're in it for a pound, eh?
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the proposal.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Got to love it when people talk as if a national army with vast supplies of tanks and bombs couldn't be hindered by a small groups of subversives.
Look at WWII, Afganistan versus Soviet Union.

Nukes can only be used by someone who doesn't care who they kill and don't care that the ground will be unusable for decades.

It is much easier to gain momentum in a rebellion with a firearm, then when totally disarmed. That is why dictators disarm their people.

Reactions: ThatRobGuy
Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
Didn't bother quoting your full post, which was rather demented. Furthermore, you do realize the shooter in the Gabbie Gifford's case was a "former" Democrat campaign volunteer.

LOL! "rather demented"? Actually my post apart from the pictures was pretty bland. I merely stated that I think more guns in the US isn't necessarily where we want to go.

I do like the vague attempts at "cleverness" some people show when they strip out the bland and boring parts calling those parts "rather demented" and then focus only on the really off-putting and weird stuff!

It's like your brain is telling you to be really mad and upsest and you can't quite focus sufficiently to make a rational assessment of the content!

That's funny.

Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
Got to love it when people talk as if a national army with vast supplies of tanks and bombs couldn't be hindered by a small groups of subversives.
Look at WWII, Afganistan versus Soviet Union.

Interesting. So WWII was being "won" by the resistance? It didn't require the might of one of the largest nascent industrial powerhouses (US) to wake up flood the battlefields with masses of armed men and artillery and ultimately with the development of atomic weapons based on a nationwide megaproject?

Afghanistan vs Soviet Union? Well, yeah, so long as the enormous might of the US arms industry trained and armed the resistance. And when one's country is teetering on the edge of collapse anyway and the inhabitants are willing to turn the country into a no-mans land I guess it was a victory against the Soviets. Not, of course, that it lead to anything good for the Afghanis. They were ultimately taken over by the Taliban who rose to the fore during the resistance against the USSR.

Is that what we want for the US? Do we really think we need guns so much that we are prepared for the US military to turn this country into a battlefield?

Is that what some people are living thier lives in preparation for?

Wow.

Good luck with that.

Nukes can only be used by someone who doesn't care who they kill and don't care that the ground will be unusable for decades.

Yes, but MOABs can still be used. Maybe we should make sure all Americans have a MOAB to defend themselves.

I'm not saying resistance fighters can't hold off a big army for a while. In some cases they win like in Vietnam. But is that really the scenario some people who pay their NRA dues are preparing for actively?

That's what they live for?

I'd call that living by the sword. I'd also think it would be a rather corrosive philosophy to carry around. Almost like a mental illness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying resistance fighters can't hold off a big army for a while. In some cases they win like in Vietnam.

Once again, you seem to imagine that all or most of the Military would be traitors. . . . what an unflattering but typical viewpoint of the people who expect the military to clamor to their side.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Once again, you seem to imagine that all or most of the Military would be traitors. . . . what an unflattering but typical viewpoint of the people who expect the military to clamor to their side.

Who are you talking about? The insurrectionist gun owners are the only ones worried that any of the military is going to turn on us.

-Dan.

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Who are you talking about? The insurrectionist gun owners are the only ones worried that any of the military is going to turn on us.

-Dan.

Um no, you seem to be mistaken about this word "insurrectionist" let me help.
an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government
Insurrection - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The Constitution of the United States is the supreme law of the United States of America.[1]
Therefore, any group attempting to use force to undermine or infringe on the US Constitution, would be insurrectionists. Loyalists would be the more appropriate term for the NRA and military you seem to enjoy denigrating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist

Why all this gaming out the apocalypse? Is this really what one has to think about all the time when polishing the guns in the gun collection?

Is this what it means to be an American? Rubbing our guns while we dream about how we'd fight an armed resistance against the government?

I wonder if people ever sit around polishing their guns while imagining how they'd take on the forces of the world arrayed against them

Maybe, just maybe, this is part of the problem.

Upvote 0