Los Angeles
✟15,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have 2 roommates. a sister and her boyfriend. The boyfriend doesn’t pay bills and can barely make his rent. It seems like i’m always the one picking up everyone else’s slack. I try to be forgiving but its gone on so long now I feel like i’m being taken advantage of. I know the bible talks about not being frustrated with people who have less then you because you could also be in that same position... but when is enough enough ?

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,999.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have 2 roommates. a sister and her boyfriend. The boyfriend doesn’t pay bills and can barely make his rent. It seems like i’m always the one picking up everyone else’s slack. I try to be forgiving but its gone on so long now I feel like i’m being taken advantage of. I know the bible talks about not being frustrated with people who have less then you because you could also be in that same position... but when is enough enough ?
The Bible also says to not show favor to the wicked. It says that those who borrow and do not repay are wicked. They are not paying you back for what you have done for them.

It says to be a good steward of your resources. Yes, you are definitely being taken advantage of. Just don't pick up the slack anymore. Not one more time. Tell them we all have to watch our money in these concerning times, and even save, so you are not going to be responsible for their part anymore - sorry. Don't let them sob story you out of your resolve. You're not even their family.

Or tell them anything that works for you but don't ever expect them to get any more responsible. Taking more and more advantage of you, if they could, would be the likely path for them. You mean well, you want to be kind, but the truth is you are being an enabler. Not good for you or them.

You might want to read a book called Boundaries. We all need boundaries and those that don't respect ours need to be stopped from walking over us.

I pray you will gracefully get out of this situation and take care of your responsibilities, and let them take care of their own, or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Lovedones
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would say if it is stealing your joy and peace (which is evident in your post), then it has come to that point, enough is enough.
The believer's joy and peace are at a premium; Philippians shows this.

Upvote 0

Lovedones

Be blessed!
Apr 1, 2020
Los Angeles
✟15,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your advice, prayers, and kind words. What really woke me up was hearing someone say it was stealing my joy and my peace. I love my sister and would do anything for her but what about me.

My joy & My peace :amen: is def more important.

Upvote 0

Rachelm2535

May 29, 2018
Phoenix
✟10,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Many times in the Bible Jesus got frustrated with His disciples. For instance when they asked who could sit beside Him in heaven, even their mom got in on it (Matthew 20:20-22). There are other times He gets frustrated like with the people selling things in the synagogue. Enabling someone to continue to take advantage of us can be detrimental for them. 2 Thessalonians 3:10-15. Hope this helps. Ask the Lord He will show you how to proceed. Praying for you in this -Rachel

Upvote 0