• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Seeing bright visual artifacts that look like lightning in slow motion

Feb 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
✟45,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Do you get bright shimmering lights in your vision that last about 20 minutes to half hour? If they look anything like the following; it's caused by migraine headaches; which can have headache pains or not; and may in rare cases last different lengths of time. I get these my self and have had the for 30 years with no long lasting ill effects.
images
I started getting these several years ago. I had no idea what it was and it terrified me. I looked it up and learned what they were.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you get bright shimmering lights in your vision that last about 20 minutes to half hour? If they look anything like the following; it's caused by migraine headaches; which can have headache pains or not; and may in rare cases last different lengths of time. I get these my self and have had the for 30 years with no long lasting ill effects.
images
Yep - that is exactly what the migraine "aura" looks like about half way thru the process. (at least when it is in color) Most of mine start off as a small spot in the center of vision and it grows into a "C" shape. After about 20 minutes it grows outside my field of vision. Then the headache hits. When the aura is in black/gray/white the headache is not too bad. The color auras are worse.

ETA: amusing anecdote:

The first time I had one of those was in 1969. I was looking at a US flag and all of a sudden it started to move and sparkle. then it started looking like that image. Recalling the lyric "The Girl with kaleidoscope eyes" from the song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," I wondered for a few minutes if someone had slipped me some acid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0