Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mention of Jesus Christ is mention of God, right?

Of course! So we need to mention Don McLean's American Pie which mentions Father, Son and Holy Ghost, :)

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is from the 60s. This is an early version by the Journeymen, claimed to be the original group to do the sing. It has been covered by The Kingston Trio, Peter, Paul and Mary, The Seekers and many other groups.

I think considering the time it was produced there is little doubt who 'Lord' refers to and while the song is mainly about the singer's feelings I find it interesting just who he calls out to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here is a number one hit from 1964.

It sort of bothers me that the singer echoes the idea that God took someone away when the song makes it clear she dies because of his reckless driving.

She's on to heaven so I got to be good so i can see my baby when I leave this world...

Not quite Christian doctrine.
You don't earn salvation by being good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.