Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Incidentally, Scripture also says that the Gospel is to be preached to the whole world and then will come the end (Mt 24:14). It has been argued that it is only in our lifetimes that modern communications have made delivering the Gospel to all nations a reality, so now should be the end of the church age with a Second Coming as imminent.

If we are to believe scripture, According to the Apostle Paul, writing under the infallible inspiration of the Holy Spirit, The Gospel was preached to the whole world by the Late 60's AD:

Colossians 1:5-6 because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of thegospel, 6 which has come to you, as it has also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth;

Colossians 1:23
if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Romans 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken ofthroughout the whole world.

Romans 16:25-26 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began 26 but now has been made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures has been made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith;

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes that's correct.
My belief is that in Revelation 16:15-16 Jesus himself refers to the timing of his return - and it's not in the past. Based on these two verses - he states he is a coming as a thief - right before the battle of Armageddon.

If you really want to see Jesus referring to he timing of His Thief's coming in concrete, irrefutable fashion, Turn to Revelation 3:3 and you will see that Jesus promises His thief's coming would befall the 1st century peoples at Sardis.

Jesus could not have been wrong about that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If we are to believe scripture, According to the Apostle Paul, writing under the infallible inspiration of the Holy Spirit, The Gospel was preached to the whole world by the Late 60's AD
There is no question but that it had not been preached to all the far corners of the world by the 60s, however, so the meaning of those verses is other than you have thought.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no question but that it had not been preached to all the far corners of the world by the 60s, however, so the meaning of those verses is other than you have thought.

What prophesy do you believe states it was to be preached to the "far corners", as you say, and not the "Whole world" Paul mentions, before the end?

Men from every nation heard Peter preach the gospel (Acts 2:5,9-11,14); and Peter said it was published throughout Judaea (Acts 10:37, 1 Pet.4:6). Again, Paul says he fully preached the gospel (Romans 15:19), and it appeared to all men (Titus 2:11.), and it was preached and believed on in the world (1 Timothy 3:16). In Romans 10:18, the word "world" is oikumene, same as Mat.24:24, and the word "earth" is ge, same as Acts 1:8. In Romans 16:25-26, the word "nations" is ethnos, same as Mark 13:10. In Colossians 1:6, the word "world" is kosmos, same as Mark 16:15. In Colossians 1:23, the word "creature" is ktisis, same as Mark 16:15. Hebrews 4:2 says the gospel was preached.

You have raised The argument: "The apostles were saying that the Gospel had been preached to the world as they knew it, but the Gospel has to reach the world as we know it before Christ will return."

First, where does the Scripture speak of Christ's words being fulfilled during the twenty first century as we know it? This is the world's way of trying to make the Bible fit their view. Second, why would the apostles even mention the fact of the Gospel reaching its destination if there was no prophetic significance? All that would do is confuse those to whom they were writing. After all, their readers were perfectly aware that Christ had predicted His return once the Gospel had been preached in these areas. What other predictions were there besides those of the Lord? From the Scripture we can be certain that all these predictions regarding the destination of the Gospel were fulfilled.

Many today say that the gospel has not been preached to all the world and Matthew 24:14 has not yet been fulfilled. In Contrast, The Bible says that all the nations of the world and every creature under heaven heard the gospel preached before AD 70.

Who are you going to believe? To deny that Matthew 24:14 has was fulfilled in the 1st century when the divinely inspired apostles infallibly said it was, is to deny the clear statements of God's Holy Word; it is to call God a liar.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are misinterpreting the passages, that's all.
Then, per forum guidelines provided in the "sticky", provide your alternate interpretation for us to examine:

When you disagree with someone's position, you should post evidence and supporting statements for your position. This policy, sometimes referred to as "X means Y because of Z", must be followed especially when posting claims that are widely considered to be controversial.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then, per forum guidelines provided in the "sticky", provide your alternate interpretation for us to examine:
You have applied one very literal interpretation to phrases that, while correct, are not meant to be taken super-literally. We all do this all the time in our own speech (I just did it there when I said "all the time" because, in truth, it may be often but not absolutely non-stop, i.e. ALL the time).

But when someone in the Scriptures does the same, as Christ himself often did, it is supposed (by you, apparently) to be inconceivable. Hardly.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so if I understand you see that Jesus is in a state of coming because scripture only uses present tesne verbs like "I am coming"? I will push back a bit on this, Jesus ascended to heaven into the clouds in Acts 1:9-11 and in v11 the angels say "Jesus ... will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven." the verb translated as "will come" used in context is eleusetai (G2064) and it is in the future tense and indicative mood, meaning it is in the unknowable future. We see this again in 1 Thes 4:16 where it describes the coming of Jesus as "will descend" and the verb in context is katabesetai (G2597) and again this is the future tense and indicative mood, so the unknowable future.

The end of Revelations is often pointed out Jesus says "I am coming soon" but the word translated as "soon" is tachy (G5035) which is litterally "fast" and we get some medical words from this word like tachycardia which means "fast-heart" So is Jesus coming soon or is he coming fast?

Well it is an adverb so it describes the verb being used "I am coming" which in context is erchomai (G2064). This is in the present tense and indicative mood but you will notice it is the same strongs number as Acts 1:11 because it is the same word just in different context. So Acts says essentially "will come" and Revelations says "is coming [tachy]".

Is Christ coming right now or is he coming soon? Translations seem to be split on this with a cursory look it seems like it's 50-50 between quickly and soon, with the more dynamic translations bending towards soon and more literal translations bending towards quickly. In parable of the 10 virgins the bridegroom's coming is said "to spend or take time, to delay" this is just as ambiguous because either Christ is delaying his coming or he is taking his time while he is coming (but taking his time isn't really fast). The Latin vulgate says "venio velociter" (velociter is the adverb in question and yes it's where our word from velocidy comes from). so it doesn't help much either as it too is ambiguous.

The problem with ancient languages is that they are far more concrete than modern languages like English which is extremely abstract. Concepts of "soon" can fit in a "fast" word and the context can reveal it's more nuanced meaning. if a phrase said "quickly afterwards" like in Mark 9:39 the concept is in fact "soon". The thing is the context in Revelations it says first these things must happen (v6) "in quickness" (tachei G5034) which is the noun version of tachy. So these things must happen in quickness "and behold I am coming quickly..." There certainly is a sense that the things (revelations) must happen first then Christ is coming which is more "soon after..." or "quickly after..." the revelations. The context surrounding the quickly is in relation to not the duration of his coming but the time it takes Christ to respond which is very agreeably "quickly"

Scripture does show future tense verbs for the coming of Christ and Revelations doesn't reject it as his coming is relative to the aforementioned revelations. This was of course base on when the text was written but since 2000 years is neither fast nor soon in our human perspectives it's hard to defend either of these, but just that it is God's timing, not ours. The parable of the 10 virgins does sort of hint of an expectation of quickness but it didn't work out that way and it took a lot longer than expected.

What I'm interested in knowing is what is the difference between a "coming Christ", if that is in fact what you mean, versus a "coming soon Christ"?

Jesus Said:
32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors!

The Futurist interpretation of "near" would mean that Jesus here in this passage meant:
So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near to God, but still thousands of years away to man—at the doors!

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have applied one very literal interpretation to phrases that, while correct, are not meant to be taken super-literally. We all do this all the time in our own speech (I just did it there when I said "all the time" because, in truth, it may be often but not absolutely non-stop, i.e. ALL the time).

But when someone in the Scriptures does the same, as Christ himself often did, it is supposed (by you, apparently) to be inconceivable. Hardly.

So when Jesus said:
14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

The word He used for all the world was oikoumené:

oikoumené: the inhabited earth
Original Word: οἰκουμένη, ης, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: oikoumené
Phonetic Spelling: (oy-kou-men'-ay)
Definition: the inhabited earth
Usage: (properly: the land that is being inhabited, the land in a state of habitation), the inhabited world, that is, the Roman world, for all outside it was regarded as of no account.

I believe He used that word on purpose. Do you?

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
So when Jesus said:
14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

The word He used for all the world was oikoumené:

oikoumené: the inhabited earth
Original Word: οἰκουμένη, ης, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: oikoumené
Phonetic Spelling: (oy-kou-men'-ay)
Definition: the inhabited earth
Usage: (properly: the land that is being inhabited, the land in a state of habitation), the inhabited world, that is, the Roman world, for all outside it was regarded as of no account.

I believe He used that word on purpose. Do you?
Sure Christ is saying the entire populated world has to hear the gospel. Don't you think Christ knew what the future habitations of various nations would be. After which then the end will come. Paul and Peter said the world of the wicked will end in fiery wrath. Outside the city is outer darkness. The kingdom of God will one day fill the whole earth. So outside the city is the place of destruction in hell. And as it says none of the wicked can enter the city of God, that shows they still are conscious and the only place left for them is the lake of fire which they can never leave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
A good proof that Christ's second coming has not happened yet, is that Christ said He would come again, and receive you to Himself so that where He is, we will also be. And that is also with the Father.
The place He is preparing for us, we only get there after His second coming.

John 14 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Way, the Truth, and the Life
1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Upvote 0

davsunram

Spiritual Philosopher
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sure Christ is saying the entire populated world has to hear the gospel. Don't you think Christ knew what the future habitations of various nations would be. After which then the end will come. Paul and Peter said the world of the wicked will end in fiery wrath. Outside the city is outer darkness. The kingdom of God will one day fill the whole earth. So outside the city is the place of destruction in hell. And as it says none of the wicked can enter the city of God, that shows they still are conscious and the only place left for them is the lake of fire which they can never leave.
That's a reasonable interpretation of the words you reference, but do you really believe in and 'worship' such a punishment inflicting God - yikes!

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
That's a reasonable interpretation of the words you reference, but do you really believe in and 'worship' such a punishment inflicting God - yikes!
God is holy, and forgives sins today but only through the bloody death of His Son. It goes way back to the Old Testament times for God said there will be no forgiveness of sins without a death occurring ( refered to as the shedding of blood), because God says all souls are mine, the soul that sins shall dies. So Christ was offered up to forgive the sins of many by His own brutal death which sinful men made Him endure.

Thing is there exists this creature called Satan (devil) and his army of demonic creatures and they are at war with God. So there is no neutral side you can be on. Your either with Him or against Him.

Upvote 0

thomas15

Be Thou my vision
Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2019
Lehighton
✟57,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

We might have some differences of opinion on the timing of the end of the age and the signs of the times but those of us that take the words of the Bible seriously believe without reservation that "ye must be born again". Those who are not born again have no hope. Sorry if that offends.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you think Christ knew what the future habitations of various nations would be. After which then the end will come.

Don't you think the Holy Spirit Knew the Gospel HAD NOT been preached to "all nations, all men, the whole world and every creature under heaven" when He inspired Paul to testify it HAD been?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I read this Christian article on the second coming and am confused about the following scriptures. They appear to be depicting the second coming as happening 2000 years ago? But surely this hasn't happened. So what is the current interpretation of this. Or has there been another thread on this already?

Matthew 16:27-28
Matthew 24:3,Matthew 24:34
Matthew 26:64
How much of Matthew 24 is fulfilled
Oldmantook said:
You might want to study preterism, partial-preterism which advocates that idea. A bunch of baloney and a dangerous doctrine if you ask me
Preterism is not allowed discussion in this forum. But I was more interested in what is going on with those verses? :) Thanks. I updated the OP to be more clear.
Like Baskin Robbins 31 flavors, so also the multitude of "flavors/plethora" views of Pretererism......[which I believe also includes "amillennialism"?]

Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke's Temple/Jerusalem Discourses harmonized- Poll Thread

Matthew 24:3
Yet of Him sitting on the Mount of the Olives, the Disciples came toward to Him according to own saying "be telling to us!
when shall these be being?
and what the sign of Thy parousia<3952> and full-end<4930> of the Age?

Partial Preterist Eschatology defined from Theopediahttp://www.theopedia.com/Preterism

Full Preterist Safe House

https://www.preteristarchive.com/2019_site-updates/

https://www.preteristarchive.com/2016_16-different-views-of-full-preterism/

The heavens and earth here intended in this prophecy of Peter, the coming of the Lord, the day of judgment, and perdition of ungodly men, mentioned in the destruction of that heaven and earth, do all of them relate, not to the last and final judgment of the world, but to that utter desolation and destruction that was to be made of the Judaical church and state. - John Owen

Below, you will find the following 16 different views of full preterism, in the following alphabetical order, for your information. The person’s name after the view is the name of the one who submitted it.
16 Different Views of Full Preterism
Compiled by Genuine Preterism, a Facebook group 2016
  1. Charismatic Preterism
  2. Comprehensive Grace/Pantelism
  3. Covenant Eschatology
  4. Essential Body View
  5. Evangelical Preterism
  6. Fulfilled Revelation Theology
  7. Full Revelation Bible View
  8. Israel Only View
  9. Literal Millennial Reign Preterism
  10. Narrative-Critical Fulfilled View
  11. Natural 2 Spiritual View
  12. Perpetual Millennium Preterism
  13. Post-Apocalyptic View
  14. Preterist-Idealist
  15. Synthesis Eschatology/Preterist-Idealist View
  16. Temporary Ekklesia Theory
=================================

The Partial Preterist Believers Safe House

http://www.preteristarchive.com/PartialPreterism/index.html

70ad:
A
coming (parousia) of Christ
A day of the Lord
A judgment
The end of the Jewish Age

(Source: R.C. Sproul, Last Days)

Still future:
The
Coming (parousia) of Christ
The Day of the Lord
The Resurrection of the dead
The Rapture of the living
The (final) Judgment
The end of history
=================================

Amillennialism Safe House

Amillennialism: "no millennium", rejects the belief that Jesus Christ will have a thousand-year-long, physical reign on the earth. The amillennial viewpoint holds that the thousand years mentioned in Revelation 20 is a symbolic number, not a literal description; that the millennium has already begun and is identical with the current church age. This rejection contrasts with premillennial and some postmillennial interpretations of chapter 20 of the Book of Revelation.
===========================
"PLETHORA"..........

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read this Christian article on the second coming and am confused about the following scriptures. They appear to be depicting the second coming as happening 2000 years ago? But surely this hasn't happened. So what is the current interpretation of this. Or has there been another thread on this already?

Matthew 24 answers two questions.

• Useful
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What was the article, link please.

Matthew 16 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

16 The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus. They wanted to test him. So they asked him to show them a miracle as a sign from God.

2 Jesus answered, “When you people see the sunset, you know what the weather will be. If the sky is red, you say we will have good weather. 3 And in the morning, if the sky is dark and red, you say that it will be a rainy day. These are signs of the weather. You see these signs in the sky and know what they mean. In the same way, you see the things that are happening now. These are also signs, but you don’t know their meaning. 4 It is the evil and sinful people who want to see a miracle as a sign from God. But no miracle will be done to prove anything to them. The only sign will be the miracle that happened to Jonah.[a]” Then Jesus went away from there.

Jesus’ Followers Misunderstand Him
5 Jesus and his followers went across the lake. But the followers forgot to bring bread. 6 Jesus said to the followers, “Be careful! Guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.”

7 The followers discussed the meaning of this. They said, “Did Jesus say this because we forgot to bring bread?”

8 Jesus knew that they were talking about this. So he asked them, “Why are you talking about not having bread? Your faith is small. 9 Do you still not understand? Remember the five loaves of bread that fed the 5000 people and the many baskets you filled with the bread that was left? 10 And remember the seven loaves of bread that fed the 4000 people and the many baskets you filled that time? 11 So how could you think that I am concerned about bread? I am telling you to be careful and guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.”

12 Then the followers understood what Jesus meant. He was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread. He was telling them to guard against the teaching of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.

Peter Says Jesus Is the Messiah
13 Jesus went to the area of Caesarea Philippi. He said to his followers, “Who do people say I am?”

14 They answered, “Some people say you are John the Baptizer. Others say you are Elijah. And some say you are Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 Then Jesus said to his followers, “And who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus answered, “You are blessed, Simon son of Jonah. No one taught you that. My Father in heaven showed you who I am. 18 So I tell you, you are Peter.[c] And I will build my church on this rock. The power of death[d] will not be able to defeat my church. 19 I will give you the keys to God’s kingdom. When you speak judgment here on earth, that judgment will be God’s judgment. When you promise forgiveness here on earth, that forgiveness will be God’s forgiveness.”[e]

20 Then Jesus warned his followers not to tell anyone he was the Messiah.

Jesus Says He Must Die
21 From that time Jesus began telling his followers that he must go to Jerusalem. He explained that the older Jewish leaders, the leading priests, and the teachers of the law would make him suffer many things. And he told his followers that he must be killed. Then, on the third day, he would be raised from death.

22 Peter took Jesus away from the other followers to talk to him alone. He began to criticize him. He said, “God save you from those sufferings, Lord! That will never happen to you!”

23 Then Jesus said to Peter, “Get away from me, Satan[f]! You are not helping me! You don’t care about the same things God does. You care only about things that people think are important.”

24 Then Jesus said to his followers, “If any of you want to be my follower, you must stop thinking about yourself and what you want. You must be willing to carry the cross that is given to you for following me. 25 Any of you who try to save the life you have will lose it. But you who give up your life for me will find true life. 26 It is worth nothing for you to have the whole world if you yourself are lost. You could never pay enough to buy back your life. 27 The Son of Man will come again with his Father’s glory and with his angels. And he will reward everyone for what they have done. 28 Believe me when I say that there are some people standing here who will see the Son of Man coming with his kingdom before they die.”

Note: This one refers to his Resurrection and Ascension.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 24 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
Jesus Warns About the Future
24 Jesus left the Temple area and was walking away. But his followers came to him to show him the Temple’s buildings. 2 He asked them, “Are you looking at these buildings? The fact is, they will be destroyed. Every stone will be thrown down to the ground. Not one stone will be left on another.”

3 Later, Jesus was sitting at a place on the Mount of Olives. The followers came to be alone with him. They said, “Tell us when these things will happen. And what will happen to prepare us for your coming and the end of time?”

4 Jesus answered, “Be careful! Don’t let anyone fool you. 5 Many people will come and use my name. They will say, ‘I am the Messiah.’ And they will fool many people. 6 You will hear about wars that are being fought. And you will hear stories about other wars beginning. But don’t be afraid. These things must happen before the end comes. 7 Nations will fight against other nations. Kingdoms will fight against other kingdoms. There will be times when there is no food for people to eat. And there will be earthquakes in different places. 8 These things are only the beginning of troubles, like the first pains of a woman giving birth.

9 “Then you will be arrested and handed over to be punished and killed. People all over the world will hate you because you believe in me. 10 During that time many believers will lose their faith. They will turn against each other and hate each other. 11 Many false prophets will come and cause many people to believe things that are wrong. 12 There will be so much more evil in the world that the love of most believers will grow cold. 13 But the one who remains faithful to the end will be saved. 14 And the Good News I have shared about God’s kingdom will be told throughout the world. It will be spread to every nation. Then the end will come.

15 “Daniel the prophet spoke about ‘the terrible thing that causes destruction.’[a] You will see this terrible thing standing in the holy place.” (You who read this should understand what it means.) 16 “The people in Judea at that time should run away to the mountains. 17 They should run away without wasting time to stop for anything. If they are on the roof of their house, they must not go down to get anything out of the house. 18 If they are in the field, they must not go back to get a coat.

19 “During that time it will be hard for women who are pregnant or have small babies! 20 Pray that it will not be winter or a Sabbath day when these things happen and you have to run away, 21 because it will be a time of great trouble. There will be more trouble than has ever happened since the beginning of the world. And nothing as bad as that will ever happen again.

22 “But God has decided to make that terrible time short. If it were not made short, no one would continue living. But God will make that time short to help the people he has chosen.

23 “Someone might say to you at that time, ‘Look, there is the Messiah!’ Or someone else might say, ‘There he is!’ But don’t believe them. 24 False messiahs and false prophets will come and do great miracles and wonders, trying to fool the people God has chosen, if that is possible. 25 Now I have warned you about this before it happens.

26 “Someone might tell you, ‘The Messiah is there in the desert!’ But don’t go into the desert to look for him. Someone else might say, ‘There is the Messiah in that room!’ But don’t believe it. 27 When the Son of Man comes, everyone will see him. It will be like lightning flashing in the sky that can be seen everywhere. 28 It’s like looking for a dead body: You will find it where the vultures are gathering above.

29 “Right after the trouble of those days, this will happen:

‘The sun will become dark,
and the moon will not give light.
The stars will fall from the sky,
and everything in the sky will be changed.’[c]

30 “Then there will be something in the sky that shows the Son of Man is coming. All the people of the world will cry. Everyone will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds in the sky. He will come with power and great glory. 31 He will use a loud trumpet to send his angels all around the earth. They will gather his chosen people from every part of the earth.

32 “The fig tree teaches us a lesson: When its branches become green and soft, and new leaves begin to grow, then you know that summer is very near. 33 In the same way, when you see all these things happening, you will know that the time[d] is very near, already present. 34 I assure you that all these things will happen while some of the people of this time are still living. 35 The whole world, earth and sky, will be destroyed, but my words will last forever.

Only God Knows When the Time Will Be
36 “No one knows when that day or time will be. The Son and the angels in heaven don’t know when it will be. Only the Father knows.

37 “When the Son of Man comes, it will be the same as what happened during Noah’s time. 38 In those days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving their children to be married right up to the day Noah entered the boat. 39 They knew nothing about what was happening until the flood came and destroyed them all.

“It will be the same when the Son of Man comes. 40 Two men will be working together in the field. One will be taken and the other will be left. 41 Two women will be grinding grain with a mill. One will be taken and the other will be left.

42 “So always be ready. You don’t know the day your Lord will come. 43 What would a homeowner do if he knew when a thief was coming? You know he would be ready and not let the thief break in. 44 So you also must be ready. The Son of Man will come at a time when you don’t expect him.

Good Servants and Bad Servants
45 “Who is the wise and trusted servant? The master trusts one servant to give the other servants their food at the right time. Who is the one the master trusts to do that work? 46 When the master comes and finds that servant doing the work he gave him, it will be a day of blessing for that servant. 47 I can tell you without a doubt, the master will choose that servant to take care of everything he owns.

48 “But what will happen if that servant is evil and thinks his master will not come back soon? 49 He will begin to beat the other servants. He will eat and drink with others who are drunk. 50 Then the master will come when the servant is not ready, at a time when the servant is not expecting him. 51 Then the master will punish that servant. He will send him away to be with the hypocrites, where people will cry and grind their teeth with pain.

Matthew 24 has multiple subjects: one refers to his Resurrection and Ascension. The other his second coming.

Matthew 26 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
The Jewish Leaders Plan to Kill Jesus
26 After Jesus finished saying all these things, he said to his followers, 2 “You know that the day after tomorrow is Passover. On that day the Son of Man will be handed over to his enemies to be killed on a cross.”

3 Then the leading priests and the older Jewish leaders had a meeting at the palace where the high priest lived. The high priest’s name was Caiaphas. 4 In the meeting they tried to find a way to arrest and kill Jesus without anyone knowing what they were doing. They planned to arrest Jesus and kill him. 5 They said, “We cannot arrest Jesus during Passover. We don’t want the people to become angry and cause a riot.”

A Woman Does Something Special
6 Jesus was in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper. 7 While he was there, a woman came to him. She had an alabaster jar filled with expensive perfume. She poured the perfume on Jesus’ head while he was eating.

8 The followers saw the woman do this and were upset at her. They said, “Why waste that perfume? 9 It could be sold for a lot of money, and the money could be given to those who are poor.”

10 But Jesus knew what happened. He said, “Why are you bothering this woman? She did a very good thing for me. 11 You will always have the poor with you.[a] But you will not always have me. 12 This woman poured perfume on my body. She did this to prepare me for burial after I die. 13 The Good News will be told to people all over the world. And I can assure you that everywhere the Good News is told, the story of what this woman did will also be told, and people will remember her.”

Judas Agrees to Help Jesus’ Enemies
14 Then one of the twelve followers went to talk to the leading priests. This was the follower named Judas Iscariot. 15 He said, “I will hand Jesus over to you. What will you pay me for doing this?” The priests gave him 30 silver coins. 16 After that Judas waited for the best time to hand Jesus over to them.

The Passover Meal
17 On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the followers came to Jesus. They said, “We will prepare everything for you to eat the Passover meal. Where do you want us to have the meal?”

18 Jesus answered, “Go into the city. Go to a man I know. Tell him that the Teacher says, ‘The chosen time is near. I will have the Passover meal with my followers at your house.’” 19 They obeyed and did what Jesus told them to do. They prepared the Passover meal.

20 In the evening Jesus was at the table with the twelve followers. 21 They were all eating. Then Jesus said, “Believe me when I say that one of you twelve here will hand me over to my enemies.”

22 The followers were very sad to hear this. Each one said, “Lord, surely I am not the one!”

23 Jesus answered, “One who has dipped his bread in the same bowl with me will be the one to hand me over. 24 The Son of Man will suffer what the Scriptures say will happen to him. But it will be very bad for the one who hands over the Son of Man to be killed. It would be better for him if he had never been born.”

25 Then Judas, the very one who would hand him over, said to Jesus, “Teacher, surely I am not the one you are talking about, am I?”

Jesus answered, “Yes, it is you.”

The Lord’s Supper
26 While they were eating, Jesus took some bread and thanked God for it. He broke off some pieces, gave them to his followers and said, “Take this bread and eat it. It is my body.”

27 Then he took a cup of wine, thanked God for it, and gave it to them. He said, “Each one of you drink some of it. 28 This wine is my blood, which will be poured out to forgive the sins of many and begin the new agreement from God to his people. 29 I want you to know, I will not drink this wine again until that day when we are together in my Father’s kingdom and the wine is new. Then I will drink it again with you.”

30 They all sang a song and then went out to the Mount of Olives.

Jesus Says His Followers Will Leave Him
31 Jesus told the followers, “Tonight you will all lose your faith in me. The Scriptures say,

‘I will kill the shepherd,
and the sheep will run away.’

32 But after I am killed, I will rise from death. Then I will go into Galilee. I will be there before you go there.”

33 Peter answered, “All the other followers may lose their faith in you. But my faith will never be shaken.”

34 Jesus answered, “The truth is, tonight you will say you don’t know me. You will deny me three times before the rooster crows.”

35 But Peter answered, “I will never say I don’t know you! I will even die with you!” And all the other followers said the same thing.

Jesus Prays Alone
36 Then Jesus went with his followers to a place called Gethsemane. He said to them, “Sit here while I go there and pray.” 37 He told Peter and the two sons of Zebedee to come with him. Then he began to be very sad and troubled. 38 Jesus said to Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, “My heart is so heavy with grief, I feel as if I am dying. Wait here and stay awake with me.”

39 Then Jesus went on a little farther away from them. He fell to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, don’t make me drink from this cup. But do what you want, not what I want.” 40 Then he went back to his followers and found them sleeping. He said to Peter, “Could you men not stay awake with me for one hour? 41 Stay awake and pray for strength against temptation. Your spirit wants to do what is right, but your body is weak.”

42 Then Jesus went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if I must do this[c] and it is not possible for me to escape it, then I pray that what you want will be done.”

43 Then he went back to the followers. Again he found them sleeping. They could not stay awake. 44 So he left them and went away one more time and prayed. This third time he prayed, he said the same thing.

45 Then Jesus went back to the followers and said, “Are you still sleeping and resting? The time has come for the Son of Man to be handed over to the control of sinful men. 46 Stand up! We must go. Here comes the one who will hand me over.”

Jesus Is Arrested
47 While Jesus was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve apostles came there. He had a big crowd of people with him, all carrying swords and clubs. They had been sent from the leading priests and the older leaders of the people. 48 Judas[d] planned to do something to show them which one was Jesus. He said, “The one I kiss will be Jesus. Arrest him.” 49 So he went to Jesus and said, “Hello, Teacher!” Then Judas kissed him.

50 Jesus answered, “Friend, do the thing you came to do.”

Then the men came and grabbed Jesus and arrested him. 51 When that happened, one of the followers with Jesus grabbed his sword and pulled it out. He swung it at the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear.

52 Jesus said to the man, “Put your sword back in its place. People who use swords will be killed with swords. 53 Surely you know I could ask my Father and he would give me more than twelve armies of angels. 54 But it must happen this way to show the truth of what the Scriptures said.”

55 Then Jesus said to the crowd, “Why do you come to get me with swords and clubs as if I were a criminal. Every day I sat in the Temple area teaching. You did not arrest me there. 56 But all these things have happened to show the full meaning of what the prophets wrote.” Then all of Jesus’ followers left him and ran away.

Jesus Before the Jewish Leaders
57 The men who arrested Jesus led him to the house of Caiaphas the high priest. The teachers of the law and the older Jewish leaders were gathered there. 58 Peter followed Jesus but stayed back at a distance. He followed him to the yard of the high priest’s house. Peter went in and sat with the guards. He wanted to see what would happen to Jesus.

59 The leading priests and the high council tried to find something against Jesus so that they could kill him. They tried to find people to lie and say that Jesus had done wrong. 60 Many people came and told lies about him. But the council could find no real reason to kill him. Then two people came 61 and said, “This man said, ‘I can destroy the Temple of God and build it again in three days.’”

62 Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, “Don’t you have anything to say about these charges against you? Are they telling the truth?” 63 But Jesus said nothing.

Again the high priest said to Jesus, “You are now under oath. I command you by the power of the living God to tell us the truth. Tell us, are you the Messiah, the Son of God?”

64 Jesus answered, “Yes, that’s right. But I tell you, in the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right side of God. And you will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven.”

65 When the high priest heard this, he tore his clothes in anger. He said, “This man has said things that insult God! We don’t need any more witnesses. You all heard his insulting words. 66 What do you think?”

The Jewish leaders answered, “He is guilty, and he must die.”

67 Then some there spit in Jesus’ face, and they hit him with their fists. Others slapped him. 68 They said, “Show us that you are a prophet,[f] Messiah! Tell us who hit you!”

Peter Is Afraid to Say He Knows Jesus
69 While Peter was sitting outside in the yard, a servant girl came up to him. She said, “You were with Jesus, that man from Galilee.”

70 But Peter told everyone there that this was not true. “I don’t know what you are talking about,” he said.

71 Then he left the yard. At the gate another girl saw him and said to the people there, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.”

72 Again, Peter said he was never with Jesus. He said, “I swear to God I don’t know the man!”

73 A short time later those standing there went to Peter and said, “We know you are one of them. It’s clear from the way you talk.”

74 Then Peter began to curse. He said, “I swear to God, I don’t know the man!” As soon as he said this, a rooster crowed. 75 Then he remembered what Jesus had told him: “Before the rooster crows, you will say three times that you don’t know me.” Then Peter went outside and cried bitterly.

Note: From the Context, this one refers to his Resurrection and Ascension.

In Acts, Stephen see Jesus sitting at the Father's right hand in Heaven.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In short, the not tasting death relates to Jesus Resurrection followed by His Ascension to The Father where He takes his Throne next to the Father in Heaven. Matthew 24 discusses this and the Second Coming. You may which to consult Bible Commentaries in a Library.

Upvote 0