searching for answers

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The thing is these places and churches still exist. You can buy an airline ticket and visit the christian ruins of the 7 churches of Revelation, they are all Orthodox. You can actually meet the surviving descendants of these churches (most fled in the persecutions of 1920-23).

This is seriously cool.

I tried to explain to him the other day that only in last few hundred years that Protestantism even existed, and no one in the part of the world where Christianity originated would probably have a clue what you meant by Southern Baptist. He was thoroughly unconvinced, and is being completely ethnocentric about the whole thing.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A lot of people do well by reading Church history. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near experienced enough to be able to make suggestions of what to read, but I'd be interested if anyone has any suggestions for you on this. I've been telling my husband about Church history for a while, just in little bits at a time, and he doesn't have quite so much trouble accepting it. For him it is more that he has been taught that the Church went almost immediately into darkness and only emerged back into truth with the Reformers.

If your husband doesn't realize that Southern Baptists don't go back to the time of Christ, then you probably need a different set of information for him than I have offered to mine.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kylissa, thanks so much for responding. Yes, I had lots of answers but more points of view can't hurt :)

You're more than welcome. I'm just glad if anything I can share will help. It just seems we have more than a few similarities in our situations. And I will tell you that it hasn't been easy at times ... But I can't imagine giving up what I've gained.

I told him, prior to posting here, that I didn't think the liturgy was there for us to "get something out of. " Glad to know I had it right. I actually gave him similar answers to many of these questions, and while I am disappointed that it was not for him, it did help illustrate a lot of differences and further convince me that I definitely am not Baptist (much to his chagrin. It got really bad when he asked, What was so wrong with being Baptist? and I answered. Sometimes, i need to take my hand and super glue it over my mouth! )

The one piece of advice I wish I had received sooner - and actually taken when I DID receive it, has to do with answering questions like that. Far too many times I said things that didn't help the situation. You may not be exactly like me, but ... when one discovers so many wonderful things, it's SO tempting to want to share, and especially the ones you love most, it's natural to especially want them to understand. I think because of that, I kept on answering "what's wrong with Baptist/Pentecostal/etc?" far longer than I should have!

I will just tell you what helped me. I read it from the point of view of the writings of the Saints, and it seems to be endorsed by the Church. Maybe not the only way to respond, but it has worked so much better for me. Instead of contrasting Baptist and Orthodoxy, pointing out everything that's wrong with Baptist thinking and explaining why you think Orthodoxy is right .... it helps to remember what we have in common. Remember there are many things the Baptists teach that are right. They believe in the Trinity, the Incarnation, the Resurrection, the Virgin Birth, and on, and on, and on. In some of these things, their understanding might be slightly different, but they do in fact get many things right, and believe many of the same things we do. And so ... I am more likely now to notice something my husband is reading, and say something like, "You know, that's a really good point. The Orthodox Church views the Gospels as central to the message of the entire Bible, and so when you look at this from the point of view you're reading here, it shows all this really cool stuff that I never understood in this way before ... " and essentially tell him what's RIGHT about what he's doing, and if possible, add to it some of the fullness that we have because of the understanding of the Church.

One bit of warning though - if he is STRONGLY sola scriptura, as in very suspicious of anything not explicit in Scripture, even if it is a helpful thing, then be careful not to offer information we have - especially that might be not so central - like the name of the thief that was crucified with Jesus.

Not sure if this helps or not. But I probably spent a good six months essentially being a little argumentative when the subject came up, even when I resolve NOT to be, just because I wanted SO MUCH to share what I found so wonderful. When I was finally able to curb my inclination to do that, things got a lot more peaceful. I can't argue anyone into anything spiritually. The only thing that I've ever seen actually work in my own life is to show someone that you have something that can help them, and make them become a little jealous and hungry for it, and ask for it themselves. Maybe it's just me though.

I noticed a lot of people didn't get the hymn question, which I found odd. Dh is used to picking up a Southern Baptist hymnal, and couldn't recognize what the hymns in the liturgy were. If he had to pick it would probably be How Great Thou Art, and he was probably thinking there had to be some similar book of hymns.

There are certainly liturgical books! And some of them are HUGE! And they contain hymns. The thing is - and I'm no expert, but the some of the hymns are part of a cycle that commemorates various Saints and events, so those are tied to complex books that are arranged on a calendar. And other hymns are sung at certain times of year, like the Paschal hymn that we sing first at the Paschal Liturgy and then for some weeks after. The last time we sing it together in Church is bittersweet for me, because I love that one. And others we sing every Liturgy. And there are other services besides the Divine Liturgy ... it IS complicated, and I know very, very little of what there is to know. :) But yes, we have hymns, and yes, we have books! ;)

Reactions: Nikti
Upvote 0

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think there are actually a few Baptist churches in Greece, but maybe as this Facebook page suggests they are attended mostly by non-Greek missionaries living there that are trying to convert the Orthodox (https://www.facebook.com/AthensBaptistChurch).

Elder Paisios tells a funny story about a monk from Mount Athos who had to go on an errand to a particular town. When he got there, he was beseeched by the local people to debate a Protestant missionary who was making some inroads luring people away from Orthodoxy. The monk was an extremely simple, uneducated person and was terrified of speaking in public or preaching. In the end, he told the people to build a bonfire in the morning and invite the missionary to walk with him through the fire to see who was preaching the truth. By the morning of the event, the missionary had packed his things and hurriedly left. When the monks at Mt. Athos heard what the brother had done, they asked him whether he really was prepared to walk through the fire. He answered yes, that he was; since he felt he himself was such a sinner and not worthy of defending the Faith, he would rather burn on earth than in hell.

I've been thinking about this little story since last night, I have a big tendency to get into apologetics with people and I've wondered why perhaps most orthodox priests or a monk I've met are not similar, but one thing I have noticed about it within myself is that it hasn't made me anymore peaceful in spirit 'making a case for my faith' (must be the law student within me).

This story leaves me with one massive reminder: be humble or as St Seraphim said "acquire a peaceful spirit and thousands around you will be saved"... Apologetics has unfortunately not brought out the best in me or some christians I've learned from... Pride is one of the easiest sins to slip into even with the noblest of intentions.

Christianity is a way of life, it's something that is supposed to permeate every crevice of the mind, body and soul. It's not something to be argued and won over all the time, or rationalised.

Thanks for that little story, I love stories about Elder Paisios, and this has really touched me :)

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been thinking about this little story since last night, I have a big tendency to get into apologetics with people and I've wondered why perhaps most orthodox priests or a monk I've met are not similar, but one thing I have noticed about it within myself is that it hasn't made me anymore peaceful in spirit 'making a case for my faith' (must be the law student within me).

This story leaves me with one massive reminder: be humble or as St Seraphim said "acquire a peaceful spirit and thousands around you will be saved"... Apologetics has unfortunately not brought out the best in me or some christians I've learned from... Pride is one of the easiest sins to slip into even with the noblest of intentions.

Christianity is a way of life, it's something that is supposed to permeate every crevice of the mind, body and soul. It's not something to be argued and won over all the time, or rationalised.

Thanks for that little story, I love stories about Elder Paisios, and this has really touched me :)

:)

I think it is in the book, Athonite Fathers and Athonite Matters. If not, that book still has a lot of touching stories. I think I will re-read it!

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Apologetics has unfortunately not brought out the best in me or some christians I've learned from... Pride is one of the easiest sins to slip into even with the noblest of intentions.

Agree completely. I know exactly what you mean. I am not a law student, but I love logic, mathematics and arguments. I has not served me well. I spend most of my time on CF arguing over heresies rather than praying.

Upvote 0

Nikti

Jul 9, 2015
Australia
✟15,527.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Agree completely. I know exactly what you mean. I am not a law student, but I love logic, mathematics and arguments. I has not served me well. I spend most of my time on CF arguing over heresies rather than praying.
Oh man can I relate, its always little stories like these or moments when I've been humbled by someone truly more peaceful than myself that I wake up to the fact I should be praying more than preaching (or arguing).

I've been suffering from really bad anxiety that last few years, and this immersion in apologetics has probably made it worse.. I thought 'knowing' and having the 'reasons for my faith' would help me feel more secure about it, but it hasn't. I can honestly say the only time I have felt glimpses of true peace in the last 4 years is when I'm immersed in the Jesus Prayer, and even then it takes a while into it to reorientate my mind to being in tune with God and His name :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I still make mistakes (likely always will) but it was so helpful to me to realize that I don't have to defend every point, reply to every post addressed to me or challenging me, etc. Sometimes I just truthfully say, "This is what I believe, here's why, you can believe whatever you like though, and it's not good spiritually for me to argue about it." Sometimes my post is more for the sake of anyone else reading than the person I'm replying to. Unfortunately the internet is too big and it's impossible to correct all the errors. But I need too much work myself to sabotage that in arguing.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW! :wave:

1. Why do we do the same liturgy every Sunday? How can you get anything out of it if it's the same thing every time?
No two Liturgies are the same. They're like driving clutch; two cars may have them and be very similar, but will never be exactly the same.

2. If you were going to sing a hymn, what would you sing? (Not kidding, he asked me )
Oh, probably something commemorating the feast, a saint, Christ, or the Theotokos.

3. Why do we sing and chant everything?
On the practical side, back when we had to worship in catacombs and in secret it was much easier to remain hidden without the use of musical instruments. On the theological side, I've heard it said that man is God's favorite creation and thus His favorite sound is our singing.

4. How do I know this is a real church/that it's truly the original church? Like, how do I know the beliefs and practices are any more historically supported (older, closer to what Jesus taught) than Baptist?
History. There's two thousand years of theological stuff that's been recorded as well as different Fathers from throughout the centuries have consistently been saying the same thing.

5. If it were, then why are there all these other religions and what about their adherents, are they going to hell? Why would God do that?
We can not say that they are or are not going to hell because that is decided by higher authority i.e. God. We don't know how He will judge them when that time comes. Let's say there's a 16th century Japanese Shinto whom has never been exposed to the Gospel, but lived a good life. From what we know of God being loving, merciful and graceful chances are that He may judge them according to what they know.

6. Why do people touch the priests robes and kiss his hand?
Touching a priest's robes, when they're do that Great Entrance around the church, is an Arab tradition. Remember the story of the woman who was cured by touching Christ's robe? That's where it comes from for them.

7. If not once saved, always saved, then what?
Living the Christian life as best we can. The two great commandments that Christ talked about is a good start.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello everyone! First post here. I am not Orthodox, but started kind of looking into it a couple of months ago and so far, I'm finding everything I was looking for.

After seeing me go every week, dh (Baptist) decided to tag along. He left very confused and as he put it, "wierded out." Understandable, but no less disappointing. He compared the church to a cult, expressed the idea that he wouldn't want future children (we have none atm) to be members of that faith, asked "what I see in it, " and demanded to know what was "wrong with being Baptist?"

He did say that if it made me happy he wouldn't try to stop me, and asked some questions I'm hoping for answers or sources for here. Most of them, I never felt the need to ask myself or never wondered.

1. Why do we do the same liturgy every Sunday? How can you get anything out of it if it's the same thing every time?
2. If you were going to sing a hymn, what would you sing? (Not kidding, he asked me )
4. How do I know this is a real church/that it's truly the original church? Like, how do I know the beliefs and practices are any more historically supported (older, closer to what Jesus taught) than Baptist?
5. If it were, then why are there all these other religions and what about their adherents, are they going to hell? Why would God do that?

It isn't the same. Some parts of Divine Liturgy are the same. Not all.

Christ is Risen

THE ROLE OF SINGING & CHANTING IN THE LIFE OF THE EASTERN ORTHODOX CHURCH

Fr. Seraphim Bell, Scotland & USA: "I became Orthodox for one reason: Obedience to the Truth"

God, Jesus Christ, became Human and He founded His Church in Jerusalem in 33 AD. The other religions founded by people and all are false. Only the One Christian Church of Jesus Christ is the Truth.

ON KISSING THE PRIEST’S HAND

WITH LOVE & KISSES – FREDERICA MATHEWES-GREEN, MARYLAND, USA

I don't understand what you mean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
[QUOTE="GregConstantine, post: 68575021, member: 314523 The robe is coming from how the woman with the issue of blood touched the fringe of Christ's robe and was healed. If your husband objects to this, kindly remind him that the apostles in the book of acts used handkerchiefs to heal.
[/QUOTE]

Likely the tzi tzit (fringes) of His Tallit (Jewish prayer shawl). The same as what Elijah left for Elisha...his "mantle". Orthodox clergy were fringed garments.

Upvote 0