searching for answers

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone! First post here. I am not Orthodox, but started kind of looking into it a couple of months ago and so far, I'm finding everything I was looking for.

After seeing me go every week, dh (Baptist) decided to tag along. He left very confused and as he put it, "wierded out." Understandable, but no less disappointing. He compared the church to a cult, expressed the idea that he wouldn't want future children (we have none atm) to be members of that faith, asked "what I see in it, " and demanded to know what was "wrong with being Baptist?"

He did say that if it made me happy he wouldn't try to stop me, and asked some questions I'm hoping for answers or sources for here. Most of them, I never felt the need to ask myself or never wondered.

1. Why do we do the same liturgy every Sunday? How can you get anything out of it if it's the same thing every time?
2. If you were going to sing a hymn, what would you sing? (Not kidding, he asked me )
3. Why do we sing and chant everything?
4. How do I know this is a real church/that it's truly the original church? Like, how do I know the beliefs and practices are any more historically supported (older, closer to what Jesus taught) than Baptist?
5. If it were, then why are there all these other religions and what about their adherents, are they going to hell? Why would God do that?
6. Why do people touch the priests robes and kiss his hand?
7. If not once saved, always saved, then what?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF, and welcome to TAW!

I can certainly relate. I have had a nearly identical conversation with my husband who is best described as Reformed Baptist as his background. He spent years going to John MacArthur's church, if that tells you anything. And we've certainly had our ups and downs over me converting to Orthodoxy.

I have Liturgy this morning (a great blessing for me!) so I don't have time to give a longer response right now - you've asked some good questions for starters though. Others will be able to answer better anyway. :) But I'll post more later today when I return from Church. :)

Your husband will almost certainly have even bigger questions on certain other things, considering his background. But it's actually better I think that he's starting here. (Btw, my husband used the word "cult" too, many times.)

God be with you - I will post later today. :)

Hello everyone! First post here. I am not Orthodox, but started kind of looking into it a couple of months ago and so far, I'm finding everything I was looking for.

After seeing me go every week, dh (Baptist) decided to tag along. He left very confused and as he put it, "wierded out." Understandable, but no less disappointing. He compared the church to a cult, expressed the idea that he wouldn't want future children (we have none atm) to be members of that faith, asked "what I see in it, " and demanded to know what was "wrong with being Baptist?"

He did say that if it made me happy he wouldn't try to stop me, and asked some questions I'm hoping for answers or sources for here. Most of them, I never felt the need to ask myself or never wondered.

1. Why do we do the same liturgy every Sunday? How can you get anything out of it if it's the same thing every time?
2. If you were going to sing a hymn, what would you sing? (Not kidding, he asked me )
4. How do I know this is a real church/that it's truly the original church? Like, how do I know the beliefs and practices are any more historically supported (older, closer to what Jesus taught) than Baptist?
5. If it were, then why are there all these other religions and what about their adherents, are they going to hell? Why would God do that?

Reactions: Porkchop_1020
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I used to think differently about this but I've changed my mind about this.

I would not recommend taking a low Church protestant (Baptist, evangelical, etc) to the divine liturgy on Sunday. A RC, Anglican, perhaps a Methodist, yes, but if you come from a low Church background, I don't recommend it anymore.

I would recommend that local parishes have small gatherings in people's homes where people gather to have a discussion about Orthodoxy in a non threatening environment.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I would ask him the same question. Baptist pretty much do the same thing every Sunday too

2. If you were going to sing a hymn, what would you sing? (Not kidding, he asked me ) Hymns that glorify the Holy Trinity, offer praise and thanksgiving, and teaches something about the love of God and the gift of salvation He gives to us.

3. Why do we sing and chant everything? Because the Scriptures command us to do so.

4. How do I know this is a real church/that it's truly the original church? Like, how do I know the beliefs and practices are any more historically supported (older, closer to what Jesus taught) than Baptist? If you study the teachings of the Orthodox Church, you will see that it matches the earliest documented records of the teachings of Christianity.

5. If it were, then why are there all these other religions and what about their adherents, are they going to hell? Why would God do that? God doesn't do that. We have free will, God does not force Himself on us. He freely offers, we freely receive. That means we can say "no" to God. God does not send anyone to hell.

6. Why do people touch the priests robes and kiss his hand? Why do we salute military officers? Why do we shake hands? Why do we hug? Why do we pat each other on the back? Why do we dress up for a wedding or some other special occasion? Why do we exchange rings when we marry?
7. If not once saved, always saved, then what? This is a novel doctrine that is not taught in Scriptures nor was taught by the Church historically.

Upvote 0

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I used to think differently about this but I've changed my mind about this.

I would not recommend taking a low Church protestant (Baptist, evangelical, etc) to the divine liturgy on Sunday. A RC, Anglican, perhaps a Methodist, yes, but if you come from a low Church background, I don't recommend it anymore.

I would recommend that local parishes have small gatherings in people's homes where people gather to have a discussion about Orthodoxy in a non threatening environment.

After my experience on Sunday, I believe I agree.

Upvote 0

Peacefulways

Oct 28, 2014
✟7,658.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
It does not matter which church or reglion that you go to as long as they do two thing: One they teach the truth, that God love us and give His Son life for or sins, and two that they follow the example of the bible. They teaching that they are teaching is also in the walk and the things they do to help others people with love and kindness. Now that is a church. All the other stuff is like a waste of time. The singing part is not, for it is what God wants us to do, to sing praise unto His name. He loves that we all join together in love to offer ourselves unto Him, Whether it be singing, danceing (like "David" did) or teaching others about Him while we live our lives just for Him.

Upvote 0

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your replies!

I would ask him the same question. Baptist pretty much do the same thing every Sunday too
Not to this degree. They follow the same format every week, but all the songs are different and often sung by one person, the prayers are completely ad-lib by the pastor, and there are no rituals.

2. If you were going to sing a hymn, what would you sing? (Not kidding, he asked me ) Hymns that glorify the Holy Trinity, offer praise and thanksgiving, and teaches something about the love of God and the gift of salvation He gives to us. If you had to pick one in particular?

3. Why do we sing and chant everything? Because the Scriptures command us to do so.

4. How do I know this is a real church/that it's truly the original church? Like, how do I know the beliefs and practices are any more historically supported (older, closer to what Jesus taught) than Baptist? If you study the teachings of the Orthodox Church, you will see that it matches the earliest documented records of the teachings of Christianity.

5. If it were, then why are there all these other religions and what about their adherents, are they going to hell? Why would God do that? God doesn't do that. We have free will, God does not force Himself on us. He freely offers, we freely receive. That means we can say "no" to God. God does not send anyone to hell.

6. Why do people touch the priests robes and kiss his hand? Why do we salute military officers? Why do we shake hands? Why do we hug? Why do we pat each other on the back? Why do we dress up for a wedding or some other special occasion? Why do we exchange rings when we marry? Specifically though, what's behind kissing the priests hand and touching his robe?

7. If not once saved, always saved, then what? This is a novel doctrine that is not taught in Scriptures nor was taught by the Church historically. But if not saved permanently through profession of faith, then how are you saved and could you lose that salvation? How?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Not to this degree. They follow the same format every week, but all the songs are different and often sung by one person, the prayers are completely ad-lib by the pastor, and there are no rituals."

our hymns change every week, in fact, they change every day! And as much as they would like to try to deny it, they do have rituals. Our everyday lives are full of rituals.

"If you had to pick one in particular?"

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

"Specifically though, what's behind kissing the priests hand and touching his robe?"

It is a sign of respect to the office of the priest and bishop. The robe is coming from how the woman with the issue of blood touched the fringe of Christ's robe and was healed. If your husband objects to this, kindly remind him that the apostles in the book of acts used handkerchiefs to heal.

"But if not saved permanently through profession of faith, then how are you saved and could you lose that salvation? How?"

Just as you accept the gift of salvation, you can reject it. Simply by excercising your free will.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I had to chuckle a little, because I think that in every case of a couple converting I have heard of, one of the two partners is almost always "weirded out" as you put it, but eventually becomes the more devout of the two :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Jesus worshiped the same way every Sabbath, and the angels and saints worship the same way as well. I think a better question is why NOT when this is how God prefers to be worshiped?

the Tropar from Pascha

because the only instrument God fashioned is the human voice.

read the early Church Fathers (the authors from century 1 and 2) and it looks Orthodox and not Baptist

only God knows that. we don't make any judgments on those outside of the Church.

the robe is touched because the Christ is the real priest (the clergy are just His icons/stand ins/instruments) and the woman was healed her issue of blood by touching Christ's robe. we kiss the hands to show respect because the hands of the priest are what consecrate the sacraments.

was saved before the foundation of the earth, was saved when Christ died and rose, was saved in baptism, am being saved as I work out salvation with fear and trembling, will be saved at death, will be saved at the Final Judgment. salvation is a process, not a one time event.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
These are my personal opinions on the questions you ask

Is whether we "get anything out of" worship really an appropriate question?

Nonetheless, it is a thought-provoking question. I think there are better answers, but what occurs to me when I think on the question is that the Lord instructed us to worship in Spirit and Truth (John 4:24). If one reads through the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom (or the Liturgies of Sts. James, Basil, or Gregory), one sees that among other things, the Liturgy is a lesson in the dogma of the Faith. Metropolitan Hilarion Alfaev of the Russian Orthodox Church once stated:

The school of Orthodox theology that formed my theological thinking was not so much a theological seminary, academy or university but the Liturgy and other services. The liturgical texts of the Orthodox Church penetrated my mind and heart so deeply that they became, along with the Gospel and the writings of the church Fathers, the main criteria of theological truth, an inexhaustible source of knowledge about God, Christ, the world, Church and salvation.

Orthodox divine services are a priceless treasure that we must carefully guard. Similar services were once celebrated in other Christian communities, but over the centuries they were lost as a result of both liturgical and theological reforms.

The liturgical texts used in many non-Orthodox churches, except for the Eucharistic prayers and certain ancient hymns still in use, are often characterized by a low level of theological content: as a rule they contain much “piety” that often borders on the sentimental, and very little theology.

Orthodox divine services, whether it be the Liturgy, vespers, matins, hours, nocturnes or compline, are a totally different matter. From the priest’s exclamation at the very beginning of the service we are immersed in an atmosphere of uninterrupted prayer, in which psalms, litanies, stichera, troparia, prayers and the celebrating priest’s invocations follow one another in a continuous stream. The entire service is conducted as if in one breath, in one rhythm, like an ever unfolding mystery in which nothing distracts from prayer. Byzantine liturgical texts filled with profound theological and mystical content, alternate with the prayerful incantation of the psalms, whose every word resonates in the hearts of the faithful. Even the elements of “choreography” characteristic of Orthodox services, such as solemn entries and exits, prostrations and censing, are not intended to distract from prayer but, on the contrary, to put the faithful in a prayerful disposition and draw them into the theourgia in which, according to the teaching of the Fathers, not only the Church on earth, but also the heavenly Church and even the angels participate ("Orthodox Worship as a School of Theology", Lecture delivered at the Kiev Theological Academy, September 2002)

I don't know how to answer this. But the focus on personal preference vs. communal worship is telling.

As I said, I don't think my answers are very good, but I believe that Jewish services were and are chanted. The Orthodox Liturgical tradition is descended from the Jewish tradition.

Also, I think Met. Hilarion's description of the Liturgy as an "continuous stream" of worship accurately describe the sensation one feels in part due to the Liturgy being chanted from beginning to end.

Personally, I think the question of whether the Orthodox Church is the "real church" or "original church" is the wrong one to ask. Likewise, whether its beliefs and practices have "historical support".

The real question to ask is whether what the Orthodox Church teaches is true or not. Maybe the right place to start is the Liturgy. Maybe ask your friend to read the texts of the Divine Liturgy and meet with the priest to challenge him on what your friend believes to be untrue.

I personally know a devout Baptist who converted to Orthodoxy after 15 years of inquiries like this. He had read about the Orthodox Church somewhere in the history of the Baptists having been granted permission to live in Russia, as long as they did not try to "convert the Orthodox". He was offended at this, because he thought that the Baptists were the real Orthodox, so he sought out the nearest Orthodox parish he could find and came out after the priest with guns blazing. When his initial objections were overcome, he came back the next week with a whole new set of objections, which were similarly overcome. This went on, as I said, for 15 years.

There is another interesting case near where I live where a Baptist preacher went on a mission to Russia as soon as it opened to the west. He came back an Orthodox priest.

The Orthodox Church does not teach that all non-Orthodox will go to hell, or that even non-Christians will go to hell. In fact, a famous Orthodox writer (quoting someone else I think) - Metropolitan Kallistos Ware - has stated that many Orthodox Christians will be surprised in the afterlife to see how many non-Orthodox are in heaven and how many Orthodox are not.

Again, these are my own answers, so they might not be very good.

We perform these sort of reverences because the priest is the icon of Christ. The real question is why we don't kiss everyone's hands, since we are all created in the image and likeness of God. Unfortunately, there is only one occasion during the Liturgical year when we exchange kisses of peace with ever single parish member - on Forgiveness Sunday, at the very beginning of Great Lent.

The first question to ask is, "What does it mean to be saved?"

The Orthodox Christian (or "Eastern") answer to this question is different from the Catholic/Protestant (or "Western") response.

Catholics and Protestants understand Salvation to mean primarily being spared a well-deserved punishment by God the Father.

Orthodox Christians understand Salvation to mean the fulfillment of the purpose of human existence, which is the attainment of Christlike perfection through Divine Grace.

The Western notion of Salvation is one of Restitution.

The Eastern notion of Salvation is one of Restoration.

Upvote 0

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dialogist,

Thanks for such in depth responses! Some of them were the same answers I gave my husband from the get-go. I also love the bits about those most strongly against it often end up the more devout one. He used to (before we met) be in his church choir and for a short while led their youth group, But now has basically no faith :(

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

My answers:
1. Our baptismal life, sealed by the Holy Spirit, is one of perpetual death and regeneration in Christ by the gift of His Body and Blood. The Liturgy is not the same every time because we are not the same: we are being transformed from glory to glory (2 Cor 3:18).
2. "Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing Life!" (I would sing it thousands of times, out of unspeakable joy).
3. We sing and chant everything because of the way that God has made us (humans). Singing is necessary for such creatures as we are. In a good world, singing is as important as talking, even more.
4. You'll know because the more deeply you assess it, the more undeniable it will become.
5. God is the only judge of those who adhere to other religions. The Bible states that all will be judged justly and accordingly.
6. I don't know why people do these things with priests robes and hands.
7. Salvation is deification. God created us and became as we are so that we might become, by His grace, like God is. Anything short of our own personal deification is not salvation. Free choice is never taken away from a person in either choosing or rejecting God's grace. Our struggle is therefore a perpetual ascent into deeper communion with God, which is dependent upon our own free choice to continue.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why do we do the same liturgy every Sunday? How can you get anything out of it if it's the same thing every time?
I told my wife I love her today. I did it yesterday too. I did it the day before, and the Sunday before that and every other Tuesday. But I say it the exact same way every time. "I love you." Does that mean its meaningless?

Furthermore, as others said, our worship is not to get something out of. We're not there for ourselves. It is entirely to worship God. He's approaching the question wrong.

Finally things are repeated because only in repetition in the present can we experience something likened to eternity. We can only experience the presence, but the repetition of the past in the present and knowing it will be the same in the future is our way of experiencing the eternity of Heaven.

Depends on the time of day and year. Around Pascha, as someone said, the Paschal Troparion. In the evening throughout the year it might be "O Gladsome Light." We use "Blessed is the Man" sometimes as a lullaby for our oldest son.

For one it makes the service more beautiful, and we believe we should offer to God only the best and most beautiful that we have to offer. Also it helps prevent individuals from putting their own emphasis on words or phrases in prayers and scripture. The phrase "I never said she stole my money" has seven different meanings depending on which word is emphasized. Chanting minimizes the personal preferences of the individual better than reading can.

We know the early church had bishops, priests, and deacons both from scripture (though in English translations, influenced by protestantism, the words are often translated differently, but they're in there) and from writers like St. Cyprian of Carthage who wrote about the function of the bishop and his authority. St. Ignatius of Antioch did likewise. We know they venerated the Virgin Theotokos and the saints because of the Ecumenical Councils and the writings of other Fathers. St. John of Damascus wrote about venerating icons. The True Presence of Christ in the Eucharist is in Scripture and just everywhere in writings of early Christians. There's nobody who believes in the idea of believers baptism until maybe Tertullian (a heretic in other areas as well) and even he believed that it truly regenerated and washed away sins - he just though baptizing infants was too dangerous in case they grew up to renounce their baptism but still had the effect, which made them a Christian.

We know because we have the writings of the early Christians, and they read like a catechism for Orthodoxy, but nothing in them sounds like Baptist theology or practice.

The judgement of people is up to God, not us. We know God is present in Orthodoxy and has given us the tools to know Him. But He is God. He gets to decide what He does. If He wants to save a Hindu or pagan or Buddhist or even a Baptist that's up to Him. We just know that this is The Way He has provided and approved of to reach Him.

Touching the robe is only done in some Orthodox parishes, not all. We don't have Christ's robe to touch, as did the hemorrhaging woman, so we use a symbol instead to remind us. We also kiss the priest's hands out of respect because, as someone said, they consecrate Communion, which is the holiest thing on Earth.

Theosis. Working out one's salvation with fear and trembling. Running the race.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You've gotten some good answers here - I knew you would. :) I'm thinking you probably have a lot to think about. :)

I'm not sure what I can add that might be a different point, so forgive me if I repeat some of what you've already been told.

BTW, I'm of a mind to agree that a full-on Divine Liturgy is not the best service for a complete outsider to attend. And the jurisdiction can make a difference too. My husband has attended two services with me. The first was Agape Vespers at my Greek parish, but the vestments, censing (we came in late and got censed in the Narthex), large icons everywhere, and all that were overwhelming for him, as well as being "too Catholic". We later visited an OCA parish that was in a temporary Church, so most of the icons were small and just hanging on the walls, there was no procession with the entrance, and much of it was less formal and less foreign to him than the Greek - he actually enjoyed it somewhat.

Jesus Christ! In the Eucharist! That is what I "get out of it" but I also find it a perfect atmosphere in which to pray, and worship God. There are so many things that have meaning, that as I learn more about them, I see the Gospel proclaimed throughout the Liturgy. But as others said, it's truly important to consider whether Church is something meant for us to "get something out of it" or whether it is something we do to worship God, in which case ... our preferences are not the most important factor.

I thought I would be bored with it, but I'm not. I'm actually saddened that our services have recently been shortened. They used to take pretty much 4 hours, and now - well, they've gotten much shorter. I wish they were long again. It's like being in Heaven - literally.

Incidentally, my SF has instructed me to read two new prayers every week (one morning, one evening) as part of my prayer rule. But within a short time I discovered that I had found my "favorites" that I don't like to abandon. So ... even if I say new ones, I will often add those same prayers over and over that I love so much, and concentrate on the meaning of the words as I pray them, because they PERFECTLY express everything I want to say to Christ, better than I can do on my own in my extemporaneous prayers.
Is he thinking we don't sing hymns because he didn't recognize them? We sing hymns - some are the same week to week, and some are new. Some are special for certain times of year. I'd have to agree with the others, first, and say the Paschal Troparia. I used to sing it when I was alone. :) But I also LOVE the Doxology, Save Us O Son of God, Enite, Hosanna in the Highest, One is Holy ... pretty much the entire Liturgy. ;) (and I may have some of the names wrong, but that's part of each song, translated in some cases).
I think others gave you good answers. But I love the long "Lord have mercy"s that we sing ... it can help that sentiment to resound in your heart when not in Church. :)
Reading the Church Fathers, and also seeing how the Church services are connected to Jewish worship - which would have been the kind Jesus Himself experienced of course. That is better addressed by considering each belief and practice individually. It won't be a good answer for "everything" for most people.
I don't think God is responsible for all the different denominations. Christ prayed that we would all be one, as He and the Father are one. So ... I don't think this is God's will, actually. But our Church does not teach others go to hell. God will judge each person individually. It's not about which Church or denomination you belong to. As others have said, a devout person who never heard the Gospel and yet lived according to his conscience in love, and perhaps even honored the idea that there must be a God .... well, I'd much rather be THAT person at the judgment than risk being someone who might have been baptized Orthodox, but spent their lives going their own way and never living their faith. But our Church does not condemn anyone to hell. That is NOT our place!!!
That's been explained, I think. It might be worth knowing that it is not something one MUST do. In many places they don't touch the robes at all, or very few people might. I've also met priests who don't want their hands kissed. Often they may be holding a Cross to be kissed. Please don't think it's something that is demanded, though. BTW, there's a recent thread here on hand-kissing that might explain somewhat.
As others have said, that was not a teaching of the Church. It was one of the main things that led me to question what I'd been taught. Why was Paul talking about "being disqualified" and how he would struggle, and run the race? Why are there Scriptures that talk about the need to persevere in order to be saved? And so on. It's not as though God is looking for an excuse to kick us out (I've been in denominations that taught that too). No, He desires all to be saved, and will do all we allow Him to do to help us. But it IS our job to cooperate, and to submit to Him. If we reject Him, He won't deny us our choice.

But a parish priest, speaking to a parishioner - and sometimes even a monastic father - will advise a person that as long as they get up every time they fall and keep on with the intent to follow Christ, that is what is needed. As long as we repent, and sincerely follow God, love Him and each other, then we are being saved.

In fact, it was the understanding on this that I got from the Orthodox Church that was the biggest reason for me embracing the Church. To be honest, the Baptist understanding I was raised with - essentially (forgive me, and I hope I don't offend anyone) ... but it essentially told me that God the Father was so angry with my sins that He could barely restrain Himself from destroying me, and indeed, WOULD destroy me, except that Christ in my stead was punished by Him, and went on to stand between me and an angry Father, keeping me safe. That puts Christ at odds with the Father, and that can NEVER be.

In Orthodoxy, I encountered a loving and patient God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - Who desires me to be saved. My sin is like a sickness that I need to be healed of, and as long as I take the medicine He gives me, I am being healed, and He is delighted as a loving Father to see me becoming whole. There is no desire to crush me like a bug, or disgust at my sorry state. Rather God as my Father was grieved to see me making myself sicker and is now pleased to give me healing medicine (and some of that medicine IS bitter at times) ... but like any Father, He wants to have His children healed, whole, and with Him in love. That was SO different for me, that when I finally really comprehended it, I finally understood the depth of love that God has for me, I couldn't resist, and I can't help but love Him in return.

I never would have admitted it, but the truth is that "other God" was one I was rather wanting to stay away from, and happy to hide behind Jesus. Maybe others don't get the same sense as I did, but I was ok with the Holy Spirit, and with Christ, but I never quite trusted God the Father ... and that is not right. God forgive me. And thankfully I don't have such a wrong understanding anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Porkchop_1020

Sep 7, 2015
✟7,935.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kylissa, thanks so much for responding. Yes, I had lots of answers but more points of view can't hurt :)

I told him, prior to posting here, that I didn't think the liturgy was there for us to "get something out of. " Glad to know I had it right. I actually gave him similar answers to many of these questions, and while I am disappointed that it was not for him, it did help illustrate a lot of differences and further convince me that I definitely am not Baptist (much to his chagrin. It got really bad when he asked, What was so wrong with being Baptist? and I answered. Sometimes, i need to take my hand and super glue it over my mouth! )

I noticed a lot of people didn't get the hymn question, which I found odd. Dh is used to picking up a Southern Baptist hymnal, and couldn't recognize what the hymns in the liturgy were. If he had to pick it would probably be How Great Thou Art, and he was probably thinking there had to be some similar book of hymns.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This is an easy one. I think we can all agree that the New Testament mentions many churches which the apostles found such in Jerusalem, Antioch, Damascus, Asia Minor, Thessalonika, Corinth, Smyrna, Ephesus, Cyprus etc. The thing is these places and churches still exist. You can buy an airline ticket and visit the christian ruins of the 7 churches of Revelation, they are all Orthodox. You can actually meet the surviving descendants of these churches (most fled in the persecutions of 1920-23).

You can go to Greece and will realize there are no baptist churches. You can go to the island of Patmos and visit the cave where the Apostle John recieved the vision of Revelation and realize there are over 200 Orthodox churches and monasteries on the island but no protestant presence. You can visit the Street called 'Straight" in Damascus (mentioned in Acts 9.11) and find an Orthodox church occupying the House of Judas, but most of those native christians would have never heard of a 'Baptist" sect and would probably think you are still disciples of John the Baptist.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can go to Greece and will realize there are no baptist churches

I think there are actually a few Baptist churches in Greece, but maybe as this Facebook page suggests they are attended mostly by non-Greek missionaries living there that are trying to convert the Orthodox (https://www.facebook.com/AthensBaptistChurch).

Elder Paisios tells a funny story about a monk from Mount Athos who had to go on an errand to a particular town. When he got there, he was beseeched by the local people to debate a Protestant missionary who was making some inroads luring people away from Orthodoxy. The monk was an extremely simple, uneducated person and was terrified of speaking in public or preaching. In the end, he told the people to build a bonfire in the morning and invite the missionary to walk with him through the fire to see who was preaching the truth. By the morning of the event, the missionary had packed his things and hurriedly left. When the monks at Mt. Athos heard what the brother had done, they asked him whether he really was prepared to walk through the fire. He answered yes, that he was; since he felt he himself was such a sinner and not worthy of defending the Faith, he would rather burn on earth than in hell.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think there are actually a few Baptist churches in Greece, but maybe as this Facebook page suggests they are attended mostly by non-Greek missionaries living there that are trying to convert the Orthodox

There are no protestant sects in Greece which predate WW2 and the first protestants into Asia Minor do not predate the 1860's. (They died out). In fact there are more Jehovah Witness in Greece than all Protestant sects combined. All protestants and JW in Greece will admit their religion was brought from America in the past few decades and is not the native christianity of these biblical lands. All protestants also agree that the very first protestant church in all of Greece was a presbyterian church in 1871 mostly for westerners who came into the country after throwing off the turkish yoke. These protestant sects primarily cater to ex-pats and foreign workers residing in Greece.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St Herman's Ghost

Orthodoxy or Death
Aug 14, 2015
WV
✟15,563.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Actually, I can answer this by telling you how I've felt all week that I was going to make a thread about actually. Last Divine Liturgy I was unable to attend due to work and have since felt 'not-right' and detached and 'just off.' You ask about our liturgies? I feel those words are my life's anchor which hold me steady in life and I always feel an unbelievable bond signing with my fellow Greek brothers and sisters and really with the whole of the Orthodox world. It's what unites us all, and we do it for our and the worlds sake. These aren't empty gestures or whatever.

I don't really see what's so weird about it. But that's like with me, I don't see how rock bands and theatrics have any place in a Church service. Seems all very boastful and such (no offense). We show respect to our holy fathers and monks and nuns as holy people and holy teachers. We are the original church as shown by our liturgy, our Sacred Traditions and secular archaeology as well. We and Catholics are the Christians history books write about up until Luthor thumbed his nose at the Catholic Church for some apparent reason lol

Upvote 0