Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Greetings my SDA siblings in Christ!

I do know you guys believe that the beast is the papacy of the RCC. Let me post the scripture and ask accordingly:

Revelation 17:8 NIV

The beast, which you saw, once was, now is not, and yet will come up out of the Abyss and go to its destruction. The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because it once was, now is not, and yet will come.

It says that the beast once was, implying its existed before. Is no longer, implying that it does not exist in our reality right now. And is about to return and the non believers (world) being astonished at its return. I really want to out a key emphasis on this language as it relates to my question.

How does your understanding of the symbolism of the beast fit the Pope?

JohnMarsten

Jul 18, 2011
✟9,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I do know you guys believe that the beast is the papacy of the RCC. Let me post the scripture and ask accordingly:

The beast, which you saw, once was, now is not, and yet will come up out of the Abyss and go to its destruction. The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because it once was, now is not, and yet will come.

It says that the beast once was, implying its existed before. Is no longer, implying that it does not exist in our reality right now. And is about to return and the non believers (world) being astonished at its return. I really want to out a key emphasis on this language as it relates to my question.

Iam no longer an SDA, and I must admit that once you try to thoroughly study revelation (and daniel side by side) and throw away the sda doctrines nothing makes sense anymore...

... but if nothing makes sense any more you get the motivation to try to make a sense out of it again... sort of a revival instead of that pre-made stuff...

u know SDA dont study Revelation and Daniel, they have an already made up set of answers and interpretation. When believers study they are just learning to interpret the prophecies (bible) in general to make it fit the church doctrine and stuff, once you address key issues... well, they dont really like that...

Upvote 0

k4c

Nov 3, 2003
Rhode Island
✟4,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In the history of the papacy there was a time when the papacy was in power but then it was taken out of power and then it's power was reinstated signified by the deadly wound being healed. You can get more detail into this by going here...http://www.looking4jesus.com/Endtime-Events.html

Upvote 0

LogosRhema

Awake
Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
k4c said:
In the history of the papacy there was a time when the papacy was in power but then it was taken out of power and then it's power was reinstated signified by the deadly wound being healed. You can get more detail into this by going here...http://www.looking4jesus.com/Endtime-Events.html

Thanks for your answer!

Although I can see how this might fit, but my question, then, how was the world astonished at this? From what I'm understanding from scripture it claims the entirety of humankind at the time of the rise of the beast will be astonished, very strong words I feel. How do you believe this fits?

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your answer!

Although I can see how this might fit, but my question, then, how was the world astonished at this? From what I'm understanding from scripture it claims the entirety of humankind at the time of the rise of the beast will be astonished, very strong words I feel. How do you believe this fits?

When you have kings and lords of nations of the then known world, bowing to a religious autority, you can aptly say that the world wondered after the beast.

Plus you have to take into account that all of Revelation has not yet been fulfilled. Parts of it are progressive, and other parts have yet to happen.

Upvote 0

LogosRhema

Awake
Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Stryder06 said:
When you have kings and lords of nations of the then known world, bowing to a religious autority, you can aptly say that the world wondered after the beast.

Plus you have to take into account that all of Revelation has not yet been fulfilled. Parts of it are progressive, and other parts have yet to happen.

What time frame did the pope fall out of power and when did a new pope regain power?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MidnightCry

Mar 23, 2006
south dakota
✟8,122.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Oh, I love this question! Great post!

The answer is: Its not the Pope or the RCC!

The beast that once was is: Lucifer -- he once was in heaven
now is not: he's not in heaven because he was cast into the abyss
and will come up out of the abyss: at the appointed time, he will be released and come up out of the spirit realm where he has been confined and will put on a great display of authority and power

The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the Book of Life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see him. He will astonish the wicked with incredible glory, counterfeit wonders, and miracles.

Upvote 0

LogosRhema

Awake
Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
midnightcry said:
Oh, I love this question! Great post!

The answer is: Its not the Pope or the RCC!

The beast that once was is: Lucifer -- he once was in heaven
now is not: he's not in heaven because he was cast into the abyss
and will come up out of the abyss: at the appointed time, he will be released and come up out of the spirit realm where he has been confined and will put on a great display of authority and power

The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the Book of Life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see him. He will astonish the wicked with incredible glory, counterfeit wonders, and miracles.

Are you SDA? If not, I appreciate your input, but mostly trying to understand the thought process thru certain scriptures. :)

I do have my own thoughts on this verse but they are my own and I'm not here to share them. I'm here to understand this belief structure.

Upvote 0

MidnightCry

Mar 23, 2006
south dakota
✟8,122.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you SDA? If not, I appreciate your input, but mostly trying to understand the thought process thru certain scriptures. :)

I do have my own thoughts on this verse but they are my own and I'm not here to share them. I'm here to understand this belief structure.

Oh, sorry...I didn't mean to get your post off track.

Yes, I am a SDA. Have been for the last 4 years. I do believe the SDA church has the most truth and most accurately follows the Bible and its teachings.

However, I do not agree with all of their end time prophetic beliefs. I agree with most of them, but not all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LogosRhema

Awake
Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
midnightcry said:
Oh, sorry...I didn't mean to get your post off track.

Yes, I am a SDA. Have been for the last 4 years. I do believe the SDA church has the most truth and most accurately follows the Bible and its teachings.

However, I do not agree with all of their end time prophetic beliefs. I agree with most of them, but not all.

I can't see faith icons for the app on my phone, so its ok!

I don't quite understand the seeming obsession with end times any sect may have. I find Christ and what He has done and is doing for is way more to talk about! Lol. Hence why I ask questions.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I can't see faith icons for the app on my phone, so its ok!

I don't quite understand the seeming obsession with end times any sect may have. I find Christ and what He has done and is doing for is way more to talk about! Lol. Hence why I ask questions.

We are told to watch for the signs of the end so that we may not be surprised as by a theif in the night and deceived by whats coming...

Jesus also told us, through John, that blessed are those that read and hear the prophesies of Revelation...

Upvote 0

LogosRhema

Awake
Oct 22, 2007
Fort Wayne
✟10,022.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
EastCoastRemnant said:
We are told to watch for the signs of the end so that we may not be surprised as by a theif in the night and deceived by whats coming...

Jesus also told us, through John, that blessed are those that read and hear the prophesies of Revelation...

I definitely agree that we should be focused on Him, regardless if we He believe is coming in 1 day or 2000 years. Much like the parable of the 3 servants and being given money.

With that in mind, being completely focused on Him, do you believe that you would be unprepared? Would you contend the idea that those obsessing over the end times and having their imaginations fill their minds and they to lose focus? Thus becoming the servant who hid the money, doing nothing in the end.

Is there a difference between resting in faith and remaining aware of the times vs losing focus and trying to be "prepared" by becoming distracted at what may come and how?

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I definitely agree that we should be focused on Him, regardless if we He believe is coming in 1 day or 2000 years. Much like the parable of the 3 servants and being given money.

With that in mind, being completely focused on Him, do you believe that you would be unprepared? Would you contend the idea that those obsessing over the end times and having their imaginations fill their minds and they to lose focus? Thus becoming the servant who hid the money, doing nothing in the end.

Is there a difference between resting in faith and remaining aware of the times vs losing focus and trying to be "prepared" by becoming distracted at what may come and how?

There's a danger either way... you think it's not near and fritter away time and opportunities to perfect character or you obsess about the signs and current events and miss oportunities to perfect character.

If we are not centered in Him, improving our relationship with Him, learning of His true character to apply to ourselves... we are in danger.

Upvote 0

JohnMarsten

Jul 18, 2011
✟9,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your answer!

I think most people didnt even realize the event...

Upvote 0