Celibate
Only if it's done as Jesus directed:

“When you pray, do not be like the hypocrites! They love
to stand up and pray in the houses of worship and on the
street corners, so that everyone will see them. I assure
you, they have already been paid in full. But when you
pray, go to your room, close the door, and pray to your
Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what
you do in private, will reward you." (Matthew 6:5-6)
I think you are advocating that all group prayer be banned.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you are advocating that all group prayer be banned.
No, praying organized by students is fine, forcing everyone in a school to pray/ listen to a prayer read off a card is unconstitutional. That you don't think it is is simply you're opinion. You can have that opinion as much as you like, it however doesn't change anything as far as the law is concerned. :sorry:
tulc(is heading down to the laundry) :wave:

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
uhmmm...yes, yes you are. :sorry:
tulc(is sorry to break that news to you) :wave:
Last I knew, tulc, you saw nothing wrong with allowing boys to shower with girls in school, if the boys wanted to be girls. I'd say you have a credibility problem.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm advocating following what Jesus said on the matter.
Do you, a Christian, disagree with Jesus?
No, I don't, but you've taken his statement out of context. By your interpretation, group prayer is not allowed.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, I don't, but you've taken his statement out of context. By your interpretation, group prayer is not allowed.
Not much to interpret. Jesus's statement is pretty clear to me.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last I knew, tulc, you saw nothing wrong with allowing boys to shower with girls in school, if the boys wanted to be girls. I'd say you have a credibility problem.
still trying to make the thread about something else when you can't rebut what's said huh? I'm wondering why you don't simply start a thread about "boys in the wrong locker room" if that's what you'd like to discuss? :wave:
tulc(wonders why President Trump supporters can't simply stick the OP...even when it's an OP they posted?) :scratch:

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Not much to interpret. Jesus's statement is pretty clear to me.
But you are taking it out of context. By doing so, you are saying we can't pray together, I believe.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
still trying to make the thread about something else when you can't rebut what's said huh? I'm wondering why you don't simply start a thread about "boys in the wrong locker room" if that's what you'd like to discuss? :wave:
tulc(wonders why President Trump supporters can't simply stick the OP...even when it's an OP they posted?) :scratch:
No, I'm just saying that the opinion of a man who thinks it's okay to let boys shower with girls at school, when the boys want to be girls, is suspect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
But, according to you, we can't pray the Lord's Prayer out loud together.

Or, according to you, if I go to a pastor for help, he's not allowed to pray out loud for me.
I don't know, I think a couple of believers praying
privately together would be closer to what Jesus is
directing. What is promoted as "school prayer" falls
outside of that directive, imo.

• Winner
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm just saying that the opinion of a man who thinks it's okay to let boys shower with girls at school, when the boys want to be girls, is suspect.
Really? Becaue I thought the thread was about school prayer and since you can't seem to come up with anything to refute what was being said it appeared you were trying to attack the poster rather then what the poster was saying, which, oddly enough, is a pretty common tactic. So common in fact it has a name:
ad hominem
You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.
it's usually a sign someone knows they can't refute the argument the other person has, so they try this instead. Again, if you'd like to discuss "boys in the wrong locker room" you can start a thread about that, you know, rather then derailing your own thread. :wave:
tulc(as an aside? when someone does the above they've lost the argument) :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know, I think a couple of believers praying
privately together would be closer to what Jesus is
directing. What is promoted as "school prayer" falls
outside of that directive, imo.
I believe in context Jesus was just telling us not to show off when we pray. The purpose of prayer is to talk with the Lord. The purpose is not to show off to anyone within earshot. Sometimes we pray alone. Sometimes we pray together out loud. But we never show off when we pray.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Really? Becaue I thought the thread was about school prayer and since you can't seem to come up with anything to refute what was being said it appeared you were trying to attack the poster rather then what the poster was saying, which, oddly enough, is a pretty common tactic. So common in fact it has a name:

it's usually a sign someone knows they can't refute the argument the other person has, so they try this instead. Again, if you'd like to discuss "boys in the wrong locker room" you can start a thread about that, you know, rather then derailing your own thread. :wave:
tulc(as an aside? when someone does the above they've lost the argument) :sorry:
Like I say, tulc, anyone who is okay with letting boys, who say they want to be girls, shower with girls at school, they have a serious problem.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like I say, tulc, anyone who is okay with letting boys, who say they want to be girls, shower with girls at school, they have a serious problem.
...I thought we'd already established that when you start attacking things you believe about the poster instead of what the poster said about the OP? That's when you've shown you can't support your position in the discussion and have lost. It only makes you look more desperate if you keep repeating the same fallacy over and over again. :wave:
tulc(is sort of wondering why, if dreadnought wants to discuss boys in the wrong showers so much, he hasn't simply started a thread about it?) :scratch:

• Agree
Reactions: ranunculus
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe in context Jesus was just telling us not to show off when we pray. The purpose of prayer is to talk with the Lord. The purpose is not to show off to anyone within earshot. Sometimes we pray alone. Sometimes we pray together out loud. But we never show off when we pray.
The best way to ensure that showing off won't happen is
to keep it private rather than public.

Upvote 0