Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am doing research on obesity, and am becoming aware of the lack of physical education being made available to kids in school today. What are the requirements for phys ed where you are located?

I think schools are doing kids a disservice in the lack of phys ed classes. Kids are growing up with a couch potato mindset. Computer games, videos, television are replacing hop scotch, jump rope and stick ball.

What are your thoughts?

AlecEiffel

Jan 8, 2004
✟636.00
Faith
Atheist
I had to do gym all 4 years. I honestly dont think it will make a difference in the current weight of American children. They dont really do thing consistent that would cause any one to lose weight..lol. I mean, the weight issue in America is has a lot of factors causing it, the gym class may be one factor, but on its own, it wouldnt do anything noticeable, IMO. Halfway through highschool I was so sick and tired of gym class anyways, lol.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
D-Lisch said:
I'm in Washington, and in my school, you're allowed to wave all Physical Education classes. No wonder the U.S. is obese.

This is probably a result of the No Child Left Behind Act. All the money is being put into the basics, reading and math.

Upvote 0

Benjammin

Trying to be in the light
May 21, 2004
Kentucky
✟457.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
I really have to say that while kids may not be educated as well about fitness, a lot of children who are obese are just lazy, or their parents just let their eating habits get out of control. I was very skinny when I was little, so my parents didnt mind me eating more sweets, then when my frame got bigger, I put on a lot of fat, and my eating habits tayed the same. When they tried to make me eat better, I snuck sweets. Its really just up to the kid in the end.

Upvote 0

fallen^sparrow

Feb 23, 2004
SK
✟16,137.00
Faith
Christian
I believe more realistic fitness and nutritional schooling would help the current situation. Kids spend tens of thousands of hours over their elementary and high school "careers" learning math, spelling, sciences and yet somehow show up at university knowing next to nothing. If we can't even teach kids how to look after themselves nutritionally and physically what real hope do we have to teach them advanced mathematics and sciences etc? "Requirements" ... are you kidding me? The real question is why aren't the kids beating down the school doors to get outside and experience life through physical activity? The answer lies uncomfortably close to home... in their parents and the teachers themselves. Kids place value and ultimately imitate those people and their actions they hold in esteem. As a teacher or parent you are thrust into that position like it or not... kids WILL follow your example good or bad. Teachers/parents complaining about physically unmotivated kids need to realize the children are only reflecting back what they are seeing themselves.

fallen^sparrow :)

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Research indicates that childhood obesity and its related health risks are on the rise. I work with children in a group fitness atmosphere and with teens one on one. From what I have seen and read, there are many factors that contribute. Non active parents who consume calorie dense foods that they don't prepare themselves, so kids don't learn about food qualities. Many kids come home and throw something into the microwave for a snack or meal. There are enough activities offered out side of school for all skill levels and interests, so where are the kids that are not there? PLAYING video games and in front of the computer, consuming thier calorie dense/nutritionally deprived foods. These children never learned how to play, ride bikes, play hide and seek, it is SOOOOOO sad.
There is much more I can say.
The good news in my city is that schools are catching up with this info. and bringing thier classes to the professionals where we have an opportunity to introduce them to all aspects of fitness and show them it is fun to move.
Another interesting topic is what happens to the high school jocks when they get into University or the work force?????
God Bless, J

Upvote 0

thepinkpencil3

Jun 27, 2005
✟8,197.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
madison1101 said:
I am doing research on obesity, and am becoming aware of the lack of physical education being made available to kids in school today. What are the requirements for phys ed where you are located? QUOTE]

well, at my school we are required to take gym every other day all four years of high school. 2 credits are required for graduation. One can, however, take it everyday for half a year and not the other half, or everyday all year and not at all the next year. Those are usually only used for scheduling conflicts. Our school does a fairly decent job at keeping the students active, for those that wish to participate. Those that don't however receive fairly low gym grades, which doesn't sound significant, but I think it looks bad to get a low grade in gym, an easy class if you try.

Upvote 0

brokenbananas

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2004
✟18,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think parents should role-model for their children fitness, healthy eating, taking charge of health, etc. In our household, we try to make learning and basically living FUN!!! A part of this includes exercising, being physically active & on the go, making good food choices, what are good food choices for our unique bodies, what are good health decisions, getting adequate and good rest, and the list goes on.

A lot of things people just tell kids to do without them understanding why. It's a wonder they do not want to do it because they don't really see why something is good or bad for them.

My daughter, though she loves eating junk, understands why she shouldn't. She gets a direct negative consequence when she eats refined sugar and white flour products -- her skin begins to itch terribly and sometimes bleeds due to the itching. We try to make eating healthy fun. Who wants to eat healthy if it's drudgery or too much work?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In response to the OP my school requires Phys ED every day of the week, or in exchange every other day for a double period, throughout all four years of high school. In most Phys ED classes in my school there is at least one required run a week which can vary anywhere from 1-3 miles. Most classes have 2 runs a week 1 mile each session but some do more depending on the teacher. This is however my school and not my school district since my school sets it's own requirments.

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Greg the byzantine said:
In response to the OP my school requires Phys ED every day of the week, or in exchange every other day for a double period, throughout all four years of high school. In most Phys ED classes in my school there is at least one required run a week which can vary anywhere from 1-3 miles. Most classes have 2 runs a week 1 mile each session but some do more depending on the teacher. This is however my school and not my school district since my school sets it's own requirments.
This is good!

Upvote 0