• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

SBC Resolution says the Sinner's Prayer is not an "incantation"

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by Anna Scott, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Senior Member

+94
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    A Resolution regarding the Sinner's Prayer just passed in the Southern Baptist Convention earlier this month:

Click:
    AN AFFIRMATION OF A “SINNER’S PRAYER” AS A BIBLICAL EXPRESSION OF REPENTANCE AND FAITH

". . . .and be it further

RESOLVED, That a “sinner’s prayer” is not an incantation that results in salvation merely by its recitation and should never be manipulatively employed or utilized apart from a clear articulation of the Gospel (Matthew 6:7; 15:7–9); and be it further

RESOLVED, That we promote any and all biblical means of urging sinners to call on the name of the Lord in a prayer of repentance and faith; and be it finally. . . ."

Eric Hankins, pastor of First Baptist Church in Oxford, Mississippi, who presented the Resolution, said that it was sparked by a talk with David Platt, Pastor of the Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, Alabama.

David Platt argued at the Verge 2012 Conference March 1:

Link:
    Platt: Why “Accepting Jesus In Your Heart” Is Superstitious & Unbiblical

"I'm convinced that many people in our churches are simply missing the life of Christ, and a lot of it has to do with what we've sold them as the gospel, i.e. pray this prayer, accept Jesus into your heart, invite Christ into your life," Platt said. "Should it not concern us that there is no such superstitious prayer in the New Testament? Should it not concern us that the Bible never uses the phrase, 'accept Jesus into your heart' or 'invite Christ into your life'? It's not the gospel we see being preached, it's modern evangelism built on sinking sand. And it runs the risk of disillusioning millions of souls."

Link:
    Southern Baptists Debate the Sinner's Prayer, Ted Olsen (posted 6/20/2012 2:50PM)

Link: Spiritual Deception, Biblical Conversion, and Global Mission John 2:23-3:16, SBC Pastors' Conference, Dr. David Platt, June 18, 2012

Daniel Akin's defense of Platt: Link: The Sinner’s Prayer, David Platt and the SBC, June 28, 2012 by Daniel Akin

What are your thoughts on the SBC's Resolution and the Sinner's Prayer?

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. DCJazz

DCJazz Doctor Coffee

+23
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I knew the prayer itself didn't do anything but meh. But I agree that there needs to be sounder teaching than what is currently present.

3. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Senior Member

+94
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    DCJazz,
    I appreciate your comments. I hope other Baptists will weigh in on the subject.

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

4. Texan40

Texan40 seeking wisdom

+29
    Christian
    Married
    In my church the prayer is available if you didn't have words/thoughts of your own but they do not push people to recite it verbatim. I see it much as I see the Lord's Prayer. It is not "magical" in and of itself but a guideline for how and what we should pray. IMO superstition and ritual spiritualism has no place in a church devoted to Christ.

5. americanvet

americanvet Saved Sinner

+79
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I would like to know what happened to cause this. Seems like some part of the Convention did not understand or was not teaching what the prayer was for and it confused someone.

6. greatdivide46

greatdivide46 Junior Member

+94
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Personally I believe the so-called sinner's prayer is completely unbiblical and should never be used. At least not if we want to follow the examples of salvation recorded in the New Testament.

7. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Senior Member

+94
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I appreciate all the comments so far. Thanks everyone.
    Anna

8. Skala

Skala I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him

+411
    Baptist
    Married
    If you are evangelizing, and you have to tell someone what words to say as they are crying out to God for salvation, it makes you wonder if the Holy Spirit is working at all?

It seems you don't have to tell someone what to say, if they are truly convicted of sin, realizing they are guilty, and need mercy.

9. IisJustMe

IisJustMe He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)

+1,745
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't think the proclamation has anything to do with whether the sinner's prayer is biblical or not. I think it has to do with people thinking that walking an aisle and saying a prayer is salvation. It is not, never was, and the Bible doesn't teach it as such.

However, the Bible does teach confession of Christ as Savior and Lord, when coming sincerely from the heart as faith it is true, is the reality of man's small part in salvation. There is no specific "sinner's prayer" but it is clear to me that such confession and faith, whether publicly declared or done in the privacy of a prayer closet, meets the requirement for biblical salvation.