✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, I'm a christian in a non-christian family
so no one in my family can help me with this.
I was wondering if someone could walk me through the steps of being saved.
I've said the sinners prayer. But it feels like there's more to it. Is is?

Thanks! :)
OK, just so you know, I do believe in justification by faith alone. You have faith -- you're my sister in Christ's family. You're young, and so not a lot of obligations are imposed on people new to faith (by God or us). You're in the family. All you need to do right now is to grow.

So Welcome!

There's a letter by the apostle Paul that walks through the steps of "there's more" -- it's his letter to the Ephesians, a church in Ephesus, what's now Turkey. The only thing that might get you confused is a section of Chapters 2 & 3 talking about Gentiles and Jews. That was the big source of conflict in the early church, "new people of God" and "old people of God". If you look at it that way it may be helpful.

The rest are great instructions about how your relying on Jesus is thought to affect you, once you start thinking about it "right", what's happened to you.

It's all based on that initial relying on Jesus. Paul constantly talks about, "If you've come to know Christ, this is how it works out in your life." Faith is what God would be looking for -- a faith from the heart.

Mistakes happen, too. God accepts people who have a faith from the heart in Jesus: that's because God's acceptance is "gracious": it means God is favorable toward you without you deserving it. You're part of His family.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "more" you are talking about is growing in your walk with Jesus - you have asked Jesus into your heart and repented of your sins - your name is in the Lamb's Book of Life and the Bible says that no one can snatch you away.

You are very brave to step out when you had no guidance at all - God is smiling down on you and you have been chosen - just let the Joy of the Lord shine through you and you will be the light that draws your family into the Kingdom of God - you don't have to do anything except walk hand in hand with Jesus and let the Holy Spirit guide you - this you will feel in everything you do - that guidance is that little tug at your heart to do things a certain way - that is the leading of the Holy Spirit. He will never lead you in the wrong direction.

The Bible tell sus that Jesus is your friend - just talk to Him, walk with Him. Get in the Scriptures - the Gospels are a good place to see how Jesus talks to us and the Holy Spirit leads us - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John - you will get a good feel on how your walk wil grow.

Congratulations on making the most important decision in your life.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "more" you are talking about is growing in your walk with Jesus

Exactly. The fancy word for it is "sanctification", and it describes a lifetime of learning, growing, and slowly changing your mindset from what the self-centered world teaches (self-sufficiency, discontent/greed, doubt, anxiety, and pride) to a God-and-others perspective (trust, contentment, humility, generosity, and peace). Many non-Christians would tell you that relying on God and being humble is a sign of weakness. What they don't understand is how much pride and self-dependence holds us prisoner and causes suffering, whereas doing the opposite sets us free. This growth in the Holy Spirit is gradual. Life will still have ups and downs, but you'll have a more solid foundation that builds over time as long as you continue to learn from God's word. But for now... congratulations! By accepting God's grace, you've already won the race. :)

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm a christian in a non-christian family
so no one in my family can help me with this.
I was wondering if someone could walk me through the steps of being saved.
I've said the sinners prayer. But it feels like there's more to it. Is is?

Thanks! :)

Dear friend, God is ever present and wants to hear from us, but an intellectual approach is not faith. I don't want to discourage you, but you need to know that.

First, one should go into their "closet" -secret place (Mt. 6:6), and speak to God -the Father, and confess their sins and failure. Then one should tell Him they want to receive His beloved Son, the Lord Jesus -the Christ of God. If you then thank the Lord Jesus for dying for your sins and receive Him into your heart, He will come by the Holy Spirit, and the Father will seal you as a child of God forever. That is salvation in brief.

You then can go forth in peace and happiness knowing that God is true to His Word, and He is "with you always", as He promised. Look up always!

- 1 Watchman

Upvote 0