"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My prayers are being answered in ways that do not make sense to me and the results are confusing to me. It's starting to shake my faith in a bad way. At one point, I thought to myself that if this was the way that God was answering my prayers then maybe I should stop praying. I've thought and wondered to myself why things are turning out this way and maybe I've made some mistakes in hearing God's voice of direction in my life. But no, He's ordered my steps... The results just haven't been what I thought they would be. It's been a rough road. Can anyone relate? What's most important?

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473

IoanC

Oct 9, 2022
Ploiesti, Prahova
Visit site
✟29,183.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Submitting our will to God's could help. Assume that God wants you to go through something other than you may want or understand right now, or know at all. It sounds like a cliche, but it frees one from all responsibility and wishing, and shifts all control and planning to God.

Upvote 0

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
My prayers are being answered in ways that do not make sense to me and the results are confusing to me. It's starting to shake my faith in a bad way. At one point, I thought to myself that if this was the way that God was answering my prayers then maybe I should stop praying. I've thought and wondered to myself why things are turning out this way and maybe I've made some mistakes in hearing God's voice of direction in my life. But no, He's ordered my steps... The results just haven't been what I thought they would be. It's been a rough road. Can anyone relate? What's most important?
I know most people here on the site just genuinely want to help other Christians. However, often input, even advice, is given based on so little information and that is not very wise. If we want good solid advice and input from, at least mature Christians because they're going to require it, we have to be willing to open up, to share the details where we can fully understand what's going on.

That lack of detail, which would give me the ability to truly fully understand what's going on with a person is why I respond to so few posts. I have a responsibility before God for everything that I say, and just popping off whatever form of advice or platitudes does not honor him.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our supplications are clear and direct so we should expect a clear and direct outcome, granted or not granted. The notion of a confusing answered prayer somehow does not make sense to me. For example if one prays for a car but ends up with a bike does not mean God answered in a confusing way, it is simply not granted. All supplications are subject to "His will" and His will is certainly not meant to confuse. " God is not the author of confusion" so there is an understanding you are not quite capturing at this moment.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I want to help you but with the lack of information it is not possible, if you can elaborate;

What did you pray for and what was the answer? How did you get the answer to your prayer?

Blessings,

JFF

• Useful
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bible Examples of people on the same type of journey you are on:
Joseph-dreamt that his brothers would bow to him, sold into slavery, jailed on false charges, ended up ruling Egypt (just behind pharoah), brothers bowed before him
The Disciples-Followed Jesus, asked things like which ones would rule next to him, watched him get crucified (even denying him in Peter's case), scattered, brought back together for the resurrection

Your are confused, God is not.

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How are things going with you now?

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise God, they're getting better. I was purely discouraged at the time. You know, when you are in the middle of a situation, you cannot see what God is doing. I listened to some sermons from The Master's University that encouraged me and helped to provide some clarity during a very confusing time. God is always working. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. Thanks Leaf for checking how it's going now. God bless everyone.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Scripture says that "in this world, you will have tribulation". But Jesus said, "Fear not, for I have overcome the world." How would we know that Jesus has a rod and staff to guide us if we never walk through the valley of the shadow of death? If we read 2 Corinthians 1, we see that Paul and his ministry team went through such difficulties in Asia, that they despaired of life. Paul said of that time, "We had the sentence of death in ourselves that we shouldn't trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead." I think elsewhere in 2 Corinthians, Paul listed all the horrible things he went through during his ministry. His prayers were not always answered. He prayed three times for his thorn in the flesh to be removed, and God's answer was, "My grace is sufficient for you." Jesus prayer in the Garden of Gethsemone: "Father let this cup pass from me", but then He knew that the Father was not going to answer that prayer so He said, "Nevertheless, your will be done."

God allows us to go through negative, even heart breaking experiences, to strip away our self-righteousness and bring us to the place where we are totally dependent on Christ, no matter where we are in life. Paul said, "In whatever state I am in, I am content."

• Winner
Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums