LDS Saved or Saved?

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
God wants us to be like Him. This is true and you've shown it in many verses, and Christians agree.

The difference is in the ontology of God. LDS lower God into the same nature as ours. To you, He is an exalted human being from a previous creation. And you elevate human beings ontologically to uncreated spirits that always existed. This is the basic problem in your thinking.

When the Bible talks about being like God in character, this says nothing about becoming like Him ontologically, which is impossible. Actually, crazy to think of.
We do lift human beings to a different state, a state that can give them hope to continue this earthly struggle to be like God.

Somehow in your thinking, this lowers God to our level, rather than lift humans to His level.

The question still has to be answered. Why would God really care if we were like Him or not?
Why give us the grace of Jesus to make us sinless? Why Jesus at all? What does it matter to Him? If we are pretty much ants to Him, why bother with us?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The question still has to be answered. Why would God really care if we were like Him or not?
Why give us the grace of Jesus to make us sinless? Why Jesus at all? What does it matter to Him? If we are pretty much ants to Him, why bother with us?
Because God loved the world that He gave his only unique Son so that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Is there a different answer for LDS?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Because God loved the world that He gave his only unique Son so that everyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

No, but we add to that, that He wants us to be like Him, and be equal with his Son Jesus in all things, even to create.

That is why he cares about us. That is why he gives us the scriptures so that we can learn to be just like his Son Jesus, so that we can be co-heirs with Jesus of all that the Father has. Of which one of those things he has is the abiltiy to create. We can have that ability too.

Tell me what you look forward to when you go to heaven?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Tell me what you look forward to when you go to heaven?
Fellowship w/ Jesus and all the saints, singing and praising God, helping people and creation, and gaining knowledge about different issues. Anything more?

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Fellowship w/ Jesus and all the saints, singing and praising God, helping people and creation, and gaining knowledge about different issues. Anything more?
All of what you said, but I look forward to learning at the foot of Jesus, all that he knows. And when we are talking vast amounts of time and technologies that are beyond our wildest thoughts, I believe it is only a matter of time before we can be considered omnsicence. Even having the knowledge to create.

Several interesting topics:

Mobility - how do we move from place to place? How much time does it take to move about? Can we even travel the universe?
Do we ever need food or water? Do we need to sleep?
Will we be in family units?
Can anyone get so out of line that they could lose their place in heaven?
Can I build a beautiful golf course and play? Sports? Keeping in shape?

Lots of other stuff most people don't think of when they think of heaven.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Eternal life to Mormons means Godhood, the ability to have spirit children who will go on an earth created by self and several of the most righteous spirit children, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Joseph Smith's description of heaven:

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 1:8
And being thus overcome with the Spirit, he was carried away in a vision, even that he saw the heavens open, and he thought he saw God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels in the attitude of singing and praising their God.

Book of Mormon, Alma 36:22
Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

It seems, though, that Lehi and Alma weren't positive they saw these visions.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith's description of heaven:

Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 1:8
And being thus overcome with the Spirit, he was carried away in a vision, even that he saw the heavens open, and he thought he saw God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels in the attitude of singing and praising their God.

Book of Mormon, Alma 36:22
Yea, methought I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

It seems, though, that Lehi and Alma weren't positive they saw these visions.
These are visions of God sittiing on His throne in heaven. There is a lot more to heaven than just the throne of God.

Since there are 3 Gods, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, Lehi and Alma are telling us they thought it was God the Father they saw, not God the Son or God the Holy Spirit. They are so alike in their glory and appearance, it is hard to tell them apart.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OP:

There are degrees of salvation according to LDS. Everyone will be resurrected (any religion or atheism). That is called general salvation.

Only the more worthy will have eternal life and be members of the Church of the Firstborn. These will become gods and goddesses. These will be equal with the Mormon god.

Worthiness is based on obedience and acceptance of Joseph Smith and his "only true church."

Back to the OP. Is Heavenly Mother saved?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Eternal life to Mormons means Godhood, the ability to have spirit children who will go on an earth created by self and several of the most righteous spirit children, etc.
Again, you are incorrect. Many people will have eternal life that will remain single for eternity.
So all do not receive the power and authority to be a god, even though they have eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Again, you are incorrect. Many people will have eternal life that will remain single for eternity.

So all do not receive the power and authority to be a god, even though they have eternal life.

You can claim that if you wish. Your leaders teach otherwise. You are the person who is either incorrect or denying your church's teachings. The fact that those who didn't earn godhood still exist doesn't mean they have eternal life. In Mormonism everyone exists forever --- even those in outer darkness; they all have immortality.

What is eternal life in Mormonism?

" ...eternal life is the name given to the kind of life that our Eternal Father lives."
Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon, p. 237

Eternal life is exaltation to godhood.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
OP:

Back to the OP. Is Heavenly Mother saved?

I'm sorry. I had to correct an error by Peter1000.

To answer your question, if Heavenly Mother was not saved, her temple marriage was annulled and she couldn't have spirit children.

Joseph Smith had not yet been born nor become a prophet and the "restored" church you're referring to didn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

mac777

Nov 13, 2020
midlands
✟15,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God said, let us make man in our image, so Adam was created....

God said, its not good for man to be alone in Paradise, so he caused a deep sleep apon Adam and took from him a rib and from it created Eve, a woman, she dwelt with Adam in Paradise....

Adam and eve became One flesh in the sight of God. God said what I have put together, let no one split asunder.

If Adam ascended to Heaven(Paradise) would it not also be not good for him to be alone, would not God let him take his Eve with him to be his helpmeet? That they might not be split asunder.

What was the point of God creating Eve to be a helpmeet to Adam if Adam apon death was to be separated from her forever, would that not be a hell rather than a paradise for him to be separated from her?

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0