Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There are degrees of salvation according to LDS. Everyone will be resurrected (any religion or atheism). That is called general salvation.

Only the more worthy will have eternal life and be members of the Church of the Firstborn. These will become gods and goddesses. These will be equal with the Mormon god.

Worthiness is based on obedience and acceptance of Joseph Smith and his "only true church."

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are degrees of salvation according to LDS. Everyone will be resurrected (any religion or atheism). That is called general salvation. Only the more worthy will have eternal life and be members of the Church of the Firstborn.
LDS certainly use uncommon expression. Setting terminology aside, all Christians believe that everyone will be resurrected (any religion or atheism). Christians also believe that there are degrees of salvation. Erwin Lutzer, the famous writer and preacher, discusses in his books how there will be degrees of rewards in heaven and degrees of punishment in hell.

These will become gods and goddesses. These will be equal with the Mormon god.
Here, of course, is where LDS doctrines differ from Christianity.

• Agree
Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm not familiar with Erwin Lutzer, but I'm going to look him up.

Now one of the differences between differing rewards and Mormonism is the location of their life after death and resurrection.

LDS Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual Enrichment G, p. 395.gif

LDS Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual, Enrichment G, p. 395

Those in the two lower kingdoms are not with God.

The three kingdoms are Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial.

CIVIL MARRIAGE MAKES SERVANTS IN ETERNITY.
The Lord says in regard to marriage: "For whatsoever things remain are by me: and whatsoever things are not by me shall be shaken and destroyed. Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world."

That is, they are not bound by any law of the gospel. It has no claim upon them: when they are dead their contract, and obligations, and bonds come to an end; they have no claim upon each other, and no claim upon their children. Their children are left without parents, only as they themselves through their own faithfulness may be adopted into some other man's family.

"Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven; which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

"For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever."

The implication here is this, that they who are clean in their lives; who are virtuous; who are honorable; but who will not receive this covenant of eternal marriage in the house of God, shall come forth-and they may even enter into the celestial kingdom, but when they enter there they enter as servants-to wait upon those "who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p.61-62

• Winner
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Now one of the differences between differing rewards and Mormonism is the location of their life after death and resurrection.

View attachment 278880

The Lord says in regard to marriage: "For whatsoever things remain are by me: and whatsoever things are not by me shall be shaken and destroyed. Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world."

That is, they are not bound by any law of the gospel. It has no claim upon them: when they are dead their contract, and obligations, and bonds come to an end; they have no claim upon each other, and no claim upon their children. Their children are left without parents, only as they themselves through their own faithfulness may be adopted into some other man's family.

"Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven; which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

"For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever."

The implication here is this, that they who are clean in their lives; who are virtuous; who are honorable; but who will not receive this covenant of eternal marriage in the house of God, shall come forth-and they may even enter into the celestial kingdom, but when they enter there they enter as servants-to wait upon those "who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory."
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p.61-62
(New Testament | Romans 6:6)

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that
henceforth we should not serve sin.

(New Testament | Matthew 16:19)

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

(New Testament | John 14:2)

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

The terrestrial and telestial kingdoms are not in the Father's house:

"The sons and daughters are not outside in some other kingdom. The sons and daughters go into the house, belong to the household, have access to the home. ‘In my Father’s house are many mansions’ [John 14:2]. Sons and daughters have access to the home where he dwells, and you cannot receive that access until you go to the temple. Why? Because you must receive certain key words as well as make covenants by which you are able to enter. If you try to get into the house, and the door is locked, how are you going to enter, if you haven’t your key? You get your key in the temple, which will admit you.". - Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p.40

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
LDS certainly use uncommon expression. Setting terminology aside, all Christians believe that everyone will be resurrected (any religion or atheism). Christians also believe that there are degrees of salvation. Erwin Lutzer, the famous writer and preacher, discusses in his books how there will be degrees of rewards in heaven and degrees of punishment in hell.

Here, of course, is where LDS doctrines differ from Christianity.

Thank you for the information about Dr. Lutzer. I ordered one of his books.

However, I don't believe that Christians have degrees of salvation.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 278880

The implication here is this, that they who are clean in their lives; who are virtuous; who are honorable; but who will not receive this covenant of eternal marriage in the house of God, shall come forth-and they may even enter into the celestal kingdom

Does it not make sense to you that there could be to a way that God has given for marriages to be performed?

And if you get married in the Lord (meaning the way God has given us to be married) then you can have the blessing of eternity be with your marriage.

If you do not know this way or reject this way, is it nonsensical that God would not allow the marriage throughout eternity?

There is a lot of work being done in the spirit world to prepare people for eternal, God given marriage so they can be married after the resurrection. Because very few have come to know the way that God has given to be married, so one of the reasons for a 1000 years of peace is to give married people the opportunity to be married the way God would have it.
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The terrestrial and telestial kingdoms are not in the Father's house:

"The sons and daughters are not outside in some other kingdom. The sons and daughters go into the house, belong to the household, have access to the home. ‘In my Father’s house are many mansions’ [John 14:2]. Sons and daughters have access to the home where he dwells, and you cannot receive that access until you go to the temple. Why? Because you must receive certain key words as well as make covenants by which you are able to enter. If you try to get into the house, and the door is locked, how are you going to enter, if you haven’t your key? You get your key in the temple, which will admit you.". - Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p.40
Why is this so incredible?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Does it not make sense to you that there could be to a way that God has given for marriages to be performed?

And if you get married in the Lord (meaning the way God has given us to be married) then you can have the blessing of eternity be with your marriage.

If you do not know this way or reject this way, is it nonsensical that God would not allow the marriage throughout eternity?

There is a lot of work being done in the spirit world to prepare people for eternal, God given marriage so they can be married after the resurrection. Because very few have come to know the way that God has given to be married, so one of the reasons for a 1000 years of peace is to give married people the opportunity to be married the way God would have it.

It's not part of God's wonderful plan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
(New Testament | Romans 6:6)

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that
henceforth we should not serve sin.

(New Testament | Matthew 16:19)

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Christians have come to Christ.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Christians have come to Christ.
Are they walking as He walked?:

(New Testament | 1 John 2:3 - 6)

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Are they walking as He walked?:

(New Testament | 1 John 2:3 - 6)

3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

God saves us, He frees us from Satan's power, He makes us new creatures, He conforms us to the image of Christ, He sanctifies and perfects us, He gives us ALL spiritual blessings, He glorifies us, He provides all our needs: the gift of God is eternal life!
Christian But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me.jpg

Christian Gods Love.jpg
Christian God works in you.jpg

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Your god rejected those he sent to Terrestial because your Jesus couldn't save them.

This is a good example of putting a personal spin on the information. If this were accurate in any way, then the same logic also condemns Christianity in general. As applied to the doctrines of general Christianity, this logic would state,

"The Christian God rejected those He sent to hell because their Jesus couldn't save them."

[Note to moderators, that's not my claim. I'm just substituting the point of view to demonstrate how the original statement is flawed.]

• Agree
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
God saves us, He frees us from Satan's power, He makes us new creatures, He conforms us to the image of Christ, He sanctifies and perfects us, He gives us ALL spiritual blessings, He glorifies us, He provides all our needs: the gift of God is eternal life!
Only for those who keep the commandments:

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 2:9)

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

(New Testament | John 14:21)

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

(Old Testament | Exodus 20:6)

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Only for those who keep the commandments:

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 2:9)

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

(New Testament | John 14:21)

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

(Old Testament | Exodus 20:6)

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

You obviously don't understand:

328194_3529d0d468ae68ddd9ea05ca2ea4c9b1.jpg

Christian More than conquerors.jpg

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Your god rejected those he sent to Terrestial because your Jesus couldn't save them.
It is not that he couldn't save them, he wouldn't save them, because they would not do what he asked them to do to be saved. IOW, they rejected him, and he rejected them. End of game for them.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You obviously don't understand:

328194_3529d0d468ae68ddd9ea05ca2ea4c9b1.jpg

View attachment 279127
You are not a puppet. God is not going to save you unless you do certain things. You have to at least believe, Right? Or does God make you believe? And if God makes some believe, but not others, what kind of a God are we talking about?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It is not that he couldn't save them, he wouldn't save them, because they would not do what he asked them to do to be saved. IOW, they rejected him, and he rejected them. End of game for them.

They sided with Christ before coming to earth per Mormonism. And of course, your god, knew their futures.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
They sided with Christ before coming to earth per Mormonism. And of course, your god, knew their futures.
You are all over the place.

Yes, 2/3 of the spirit children of God sided with Christ. But many of those 2/3 have rejected God and Jesus now that they have come to earth and have been tempted of satan. Too bad that they chose to reject Him and make Him reject them, so as to not be with Him for eternity.

Upvote 0