Houston
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. I don't know why you speak as if I disagreed with this somewhere. Certainly the blood/death in the form of a propitiation is necessary to fulfill the righteous requirement under the law, but that doesn't make the cruelty of the cross God's righteousness on display.

Well we're having some semantical confusion here. So let me show you some scriptures indicating what I mean by two different "forms of righteousness".

Hebrews 10:16, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Matthew 23:26,
Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Romans 10
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

I think we may have some disconnect here. Allow me to rephrase. As we become conformed to Christ the justice of an eye for an eye is replaced with turn the other cheek, return good for evil, and pray for our enemies. This sentiment is reiterated in "forgive us our trespasses even as we forgive those who trespass against us".

The righteousness revealed in the Christ is the righteousness of God's Holy Character even because Jesus is the true Light. This same righteousness of Character is what we are believing in when we confess Jesus as Lord, the son of God. It is this Truth that sets us free from sin and the bondage of the law which is the power of sin. So it is I believe that when we pick up our cross and follow Jesus, we also become living sacrifices, and that we are the seed spoken of here: …when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

Wherefore scripture says this: For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. This is a higher standard than what we understood righteousness to be before seeing Christ's self sacrificing Love on a cross. A scripture that comes to mind is, Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled. And also, For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

Yes this is true, but the only point I originally was making is that there is a higher standard of righteousness in Christ that we grow into, even because we are conforming/transforming into Christ out of a carnal mindset.

It says receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet KJV. Respectfully, this to me means the same as they punished themselves.

We 're arguing semantics. I'm not contesting that in Jesus there is redemption. I'm saying that the cruelty of the crucifixion wasn't the wrath of God.

Respectfully, I don't see how the law was preventing God from having mercy because it would violate His justice. It's as if your saying that showing mercy is not a just act or that there was a law against mercy/compassion. Likewise, now that there are no more sacrifices for sin, then if we do sin, and God knows I have, how is His justice satisfied? Wouldn't it be better to say that it was God's mercy that sent His son to be sacrificed so that sins could be forgiven? (And we can forgive sin).

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Who is the god of this world into which Jesus was sent? Have you not considered that it was the devil and his angels that was the administrator of the Old Covenant, the wicked husbandman who turns the temple into a marketplace and who crucified the Christ,.. and the Christ was the means to take away his power?

Hebrews 10:
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
Matthew 21
40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen?

41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.
Don't get me wrong, I know that justice is necessary because of injustices. But there is no sound law where the just and innocent should be punished for the injustices of others. So when I forgive others their injustices done to me, then I am carrying my cross to follow after Christ, and in my mind I am a living sacrifice because I truly believe those who would sin against me, don't know what they're doing at the time.

I have never seen animal sacrifices as God's wrath being appeased. As if the death of the innocent and blameless pleased God. I saw such sacrifices as a means of cleansing one's own conscience. Animals were used like money to trade in those times, and people could assuage their guilt by sacrificing something of value to them as a payback of sorts.

For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

I believe that changing from a carnal mind to a spiritual mind is what is necessary to become perfected in Christ. So that only the lamb of God can take away sins, and actually transform the sinner, because conforming to his Character will make one perfect. The god of this world is the enemy of the Gospel. I therefore don't preach a god that is merciless, but a God that is merciful.

Yes this is true, but the only point I originally was making is that there is a higher standard of righteousness in Christ that we grow into.

The beginning of the righteousness of God, that Jesus brought into the world and gives to the heart is faith. Without faith it is impossible to please God, and only by faith can we fulfill His royal law to love our neighbors:

I.e. we do it because we believe it is the good and right thing to do.

All other 'righteousness' without faith of Jesus is forced or self-righteousness. It's not the love of God from a pure heart.

Once we begin that road of God's righteousness, we then learn to add to it knowledge and wisdom and patience:

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

...as well as cleansing the sins of the spirit:

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice. And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Last edited:
Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
True. I don't know why you speak as if I disagreed with this somewhere. Certainly the blood/death in the form of a propitiation is necessary to fulfill the righteous requirement under the law, but that doesn't make the cruelty of the cross God's righteousness on display.

Well we're having some semantical confusion here. So let me show you some scriptures indicating what I mean by two different "forms of righteousness".

Hebrews 10:16, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Matthew 23:26,
Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Romans 10
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
True. . .but the law was never given for righteousness, because since Abraham, righteousness has been only by faith
(Galatians 3:21-22).
The law was given only to reveal sin (Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7).
6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above)

7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
I think we may have some disconnect here. Allow me to rephrase. As we become conformed to Christ the justice of an eye for an eye is replaced with turn the other cheek, return good for evil, and pray for our enemies. This sentiment is reiterated in "forgive us our trespasses even as we forgive those who trespass against us".
And the relation of this to God's retaliation in the punishment of sin in Romans 1:18-32?
The righteousness revealed in the Christ is the righteousness of God's Holy Character even because Jesus is the true Light. This same righteousness of Character is what we are believing in when we confess Jesus as Lord, the son of God. It is this Truth that sets us free from sin and the bondage of the law which is the power of sin. So it is I believe that when we pick up our cross and follow Jesus, we also become living sacrifices, and that we are the seed spoken of here: …when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

Wherefore scripture says this: For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. This is a higher standard than what we understood righteousness to be before seeing Christ's self sacrificing Love on a cross. A scripture that comes to mind is, Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled. And also, For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Yes this is true, but
the only point I originally was making is that there is a higher standard of righteousness in Christ that we grow into, even because we are conforming/transforming into Christ out of a carnal mindset.
There has always been only one standard of righteousess, the righteousness of God, which no one can even approach and, therefore, all righteousness is, and has been, since Abraham, from God only through faith in the promise (Jesus Christ). (Romans 1:17).
It says receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet KJV. Respectfully, this to me means the same as they punished themselves.
Receiving in themselves more degradation and lust for sin; i.e., punishing their sin of degradation with a desire in themselves for more degradation (sin) and ruin.
We 're arguing semantics. I'm not contesting that in Jesus there is redemption. I'm saying that the cruelty of the crucifixion wasn't the wrath of God.
As the NT mentions no wrath of God regarding the crucifixion.
Respectfully, I don't see how the law was preventing God from having mercy because it would violate His justice.
It is not the law which prevents God from mercy, it is his character that prevents such.
God is holy, righteous and just.
Justice and righteousness are the foundation of his throne (Psalms 89:14).
Righteousness is based in justice, they cannot be separated.

Justice is giving everyone his due, what he is owed, what he has earned.
God is not righteous and just if he does not do that.
To vindicate his justice and righteousness, he must punish law breaking (sin), which he does with (eternal) death.
He cannot, without showing favoritism, forgive some and not others without their being given what they are owed.
God foreshadowed his method of dealing with sin in justice in the OT sacrifices, which Jesus fulfilled in his NT sacrifice.
It's as if your saying that showing mercy is not a just act or that there was a law against mercy/compassion.
There is. . the law of justice, which requires that eveyone be given what he is owed--penalty for sin.
Likewise, now that there are no more sacrifices for sin, then if we do sin, and God knows I have, how is His justice satisfied?
A little more study of the NT might help with these questions.
We live in time, God does not. Jesus' sacrifice satisfies God's justice for all time, from the beginning to the end of time, atones for all sin of all who believe in him. God forgives future sin on the basis of Jesus once-for-all sacrifice.
Wouldn't it be better to say that it was God's mercy that sent His son to be sacrificed so that sins could be forgiven?
I think I made that point very clearly.

But what made Jesus' sacrifice necessary for mercy in the first place? (God's justice)
(And we can/should forgive sin).
We can forgive offenses against us, but we can't forgive sin (breaking God's law), which is God's prerogative. Only God can forgive sin (Mark 2:7).
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Who is the god of this world into which Jesus was sent? Have you not considered that it was the devil and his angels that was the administrator of the Old Covenant,
So God got in bed with the devil to administer his Mosaic Covenant?
the wicked husbandman who turns the temple into a marketplace and who crucified the Christ,.. and the Christ was the means to take away his power?

Hebrews 10:
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
Matthew 21
40 When the lord therefore of the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen?

41 They say unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits in their seasons.
Don't get me wrong, I know that justice is necessary because of injustices. But there is no sound law where the just and innocent should be punished for the injustices of others. So when I forgive others their injustices done to me, then I am carrying my cross to follow after Christ, and in my mind I am a living sacrifice because I truly believe those who would sin against me, don't know what they're doing at the time.

I have never seen animal sacrifices as God's wrath being appeased. As if the death of the innocent and blameless pleased God.
I saw such sacrifices as a means of cleansing one's own conscience. Animals were used like money to trade in those times, and people could assuage their guilt by sacrificing something of value to them as a payback of sorts.
That is totally contrived, unfounded and without warrant--a desperate attempt to make God's ways agree with our ways.
Our ways are not God's ways (Isaiah 55:8-9).

More study of the NT is called for here, and following.
For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
I believe that changing from a carnal mind to a spiritual mind is what is necessary to become perfected in Christ. So that only the lamb of God can take away sins, and actually transform the sinner, because conforming to his Character will make one perfect. The god of this world is the enemy of the Gospel. I therefore don't preach a god that is merciless, but a God that is merciful.

Last edited:
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If it doesn't continue, it was never saving faith, it was only counterfeit faith, as in Lord!
This is always the necessary end result of them that want to refuse to believe we can turn from the faith of God and fall from grace: We never really were saved in the first place.
I really don't know why people prefer to believe that, but so be it.
Because it is what the NT presents.

All those that the Father gives Jesus will come to Jesus, and Jesus loses none of those whom the Father has given him.
The grace of saving faith is just that--saving, as the result of the new birth.

One does not spiritually die again, after having been spiritually reborn of the Holy Spirit.
Unmerited, but conditional? Contradiction of terms.

Only when 'grace' is defined by man as unconditional security.
That is precisely what the grace of saving faith is.
Forgiveness is unmerited,
Forgiveness was merited by Jesus Christ for all the born again.
but is conditioned on repentance
Repentance (change/turning of mind and heart) took place at the new birth.
Only confession is needed after the new birth (1 John 1:8-10).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. . .but the law was never given for righteousness, because since Abraham, righteousness has been only by faith
(Galatians 3:21-22).
The law was given only to reveal sin (Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7).
God is the Light. So righteousness is always through faith. I'm sure Paul was not denying any of the above when he described two different forms of righteousness. And neither am I. I don't believe either one of us is saying that righteousness can be attained through the works of the law apart from faith in God and His Christ.

And the relation of this to God's retaliation in the punishment of sin in Romans 1:18-32?
There is no direct relation as I was not addressing that issue. I was trying to explain what I mean by two forms of righteousness.

There has always been only one standard of righteousess, the righteousness of God, which no one can even approach and, therefore, all righteousness is, and has been, since Abraham, from God only through faith in the promise (Jesus Christ). (Romans 1:17).
Sometimes I doubt we're talking about the same thing. Because I am certain that turn the other cheek and return good for evil is a higher standard of righteousness than an eye for an eye.

Receiving in themselves more degradation and lust for sin; i.e., punishing their sin of degradation with a desire in themselves for more degradation (sin) and ruin.
Respectfully, I don't see it that way. God cares deeply about us and our wellbeing more than we can possibly know. I don't see the logic of hating sin and punishing our sin with more sin which He hated in the first place. I see it the same as portrayed in the Father of the prodigal son. The Father let his son go and didn't stop him, as much as he wanted to.

As the NT mentions no wrath of God regarding the crucifixion.
Yes, in regards to the crucifying, the scorn, the mocking, the beatings. But not only that, the semantics in scripture don't even allow for the crucifixion to be His wrath. For one, scripture never even mentions once that the crucifixion was God's wrath. And secondly because scripture stipulates many times over that some person/s other than God crucified His son.

Clare 73 said: And that same Son paid the penalty for sin on the cross so God could have mercy without violating his justice.

Childeye responds: Respectfully, I don't see how the law was preventing God from having mercy because it would violate His justice.

Clare 73 responds back: It is not the law which prevents God from mercy, it is his character that prevents such.

Childeye says: It's as if your saying that showing mercy is not a just act or that there was a law against mercy/compassion.

Clare answers: There is. . the law of justice, which requires that everyone be given what he is owed--penalty for sin.
Respectfully none of this really makes any sense. It's not the law because it is the law? To me it's a form of circular reasoning. Mercy/compassion are attributes of God's Holy Character. He would not be subject to any law much less invent one that would forbid mercy just so as to maintain fairness, even because mercy/compassion is greater than justice.

Justice and righteousness are the foundation of his throne (Psalms 89:14).
Righteousness is based in justice, they cannot be separated. Justice is giving everyone his due, what he is owed, what he has earned.
God is not righteous and just if he does not do that.
But that's exactly what He did. He gave His son to die to pay our penalty. Jesus didn't earn or deserve death according to the law, but according to the law, we did.

To vindicate his justice and righteousness, he must punish law breaking (sin), which he does with (eternal) death.
He cannot, without showing favoritism, forgive some and not others without their being given what they are owed.
But if that's the case with the Christ, we're not getting what we're owed by way of penalty. It's God who is providing the lamb to be sacrificed. We're not suffering anything as a payment for our sin, unless we count bearing with and forgiving those who sin against us justice. Kind of like paying a debt forward. Jesus did say whoever didn't pick up their own cross were unworthy of him. The merciful will receive mercy seems just to me.

So let's look at it from this angle. The serpent deceived the woman which led to disobedience and sin and death, wherefore it makes me think that this is why Jesus said that Satan was a murderer from the beginning. And God declared He would put enmity between the serpent and the woman, and between the serpents seed and her seed; "it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel".

Through this lens, The serpent got what was coming to him by way of justice when Jesus defeated Satan at the cross, and at the same time mankind was able to be delivered through the same justice.

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

God foreshadowed his method of dealing with sin in justice in the OT sacrifices, which Jesus fulfilled in his NT sacrifice.
I can't agree exactly. I agree that guilt/sin offerings that could never take away sin or purge the conscience foreshadowed the sacrifice of the lamb of God that does. But I think it's clear that Jesus came down because God had no pleasure in the sacrifices of goats and animals that could never take away sin, but rather He desired mercy and understanding and the knowledge of God as the method for dealing with sin.

Childeye said: Wouldn't it be better to say that it was God's mercy that sent His son to be sacrificed so that sins could be forgiven?

I think I made that point very clearly.
Well if you notice in my statement the mercy comes before the death of Christ, so the law couldn't have prevented God from having mercy. Compassion and mercy are Godly Character traits and there is no law that could change that.

But what made Jesus' sacrifice necessary for mercy in the first place? (God's justice)
My answer would be vanity. However the scriptures say it this way: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh.. So the law was weak through the flesh.

We can forgive offenses against us, but we can't forgive sin (breaking God's law), which is God's prerogative. Only God can forgive sin (Mark 2:7).
Not a good example from scripture, but I get what you're saying. The issue of breaking faith with God is the way I would describe it. Because we break faith if we sin willfully against others even if they forgive us.

So God got in bed with the devil to administer his Mosaic Covenant?
I can't say for certain and I wouldn't characterize it as getting in bed. More like the Old Covenant was the means to put a hook in the mouth of leviathan. I know the law was received at the disposition of angels according to scripture, and Ezekiel 28 seems to be alluding to Satan as a covering Cherub, just like the one's depicted on the ark. And the law is the power of sin wherefore scripture is at the least indicating that Satan was disarmed by the blotting out of the ordinances that were against us.

Matthew 21:39,
The wicked husbandmen murdered the owners son.

John 12:31, "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out."

1 Corinthians 2,
8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Colossians 2:14,
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Hebrews 2:14,
Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

That is totally contrived, unfounded and without warrant--a desperate attempt to make God's ways agree with our ways.
That's an interesting response. Then what do you think purging the conscience means in scripture?

2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Are you trying to say that faith's works do not save, only faith itself saves, but faith's works in the Holy Spirit do sanctify, make holy, for
"Without holiness, no one will see the Lord."
(Hebrews 12:14)?

What are faith's works that sanctify. . .they are
Matthew 22:37-40. (Romans 13:8-10)

In James 2:21-23, Abraham was justified by his works when he offered Isaac, his faith was active along with his works, and his faith completed his works, so he was justified by his works insofar as they were an expression of his faith, but not insofar as they were earning his justification. So faith works do save insofar as the same faith by which we are saved is also express is doing works. Doing the works described in Titus 2:11-14 is part of the content of God's gift of salvation, not something that we need to do in order to earn our salvation, or something that we will do because we have been saved.

Christ is the exact expression of God's nature, which he expressed by living in obedience to the Mosaic Law, so that is a core part of what Christ is like, and our sanctification is about being made to be like Christ. In John 17:17, it says to sanctify them in truth and that God's word is truth, and it is also true that God's law is God's word, so it is God who sanctifies us and makes us holy and obedience to His word in accordance with Christ's example is what that looks like. Someone who lived in obedience to the Mosaic Law would be indistinguishable from someone who lived in obedience to the greatest two commandments because they would both be following the same example Christ set for us to follow. All of God's commandments hang on the greatest two commandments, so there is no part of the Mosaic Law that is not included as part of the greatest two commandments.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is why you trust Paul’s teaching

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

If all scripture is given by inspiration of God or given by revelation of Jesus Christ that includes everything …Including the words in RED and Black in the gospels….. It’s not by the will of man.

2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Private in verse 21 is the Greek word idios meaning “ones own”

I have no idea what your friend meant by this ....He was/is the son of God.

Salvation by works is at the root of all deceiving religions ...
You are not going to find salvation by grace in the gospels, it wasn’t available until after Pentecost.

As a Berean would, check against all of scripture in confidence that God spoke truth through more than one author. If it's not backed up by a second author then set it aside as limited usefulness.

Upvote 0

U.S. Grant

Jun 7, 2021
Houston
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

All those that the Father gives Jesus will come to Jesus, and Jesus loses none of those whom the Father has given him.

One does not spiritually die again, after having been spiritually reborn of the Holy Spirit.

There is no 'spiritual' repentance of the mind.

Confession is the agreement of the heart and mind with God pertaining to sins.

Repentance is the change of living, that ought follow confession with God.

Confession without repentance is as dead as the faith that believes God, but does not obey God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

U.S. Grant

Jun 7, 2021
Houston
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Whatever we want to think about the grace of God is of no account.

Faith without works is still dead, and we are not justified by faith alone, but by the works of the faith of God, even as Abraham.

If we're not doing the works of God's righteousness by the faith of Jesus, we're not saved.

And if after having believed Jesus, we turn from His faith and return to the sins of the old man, that had been crucified with Christ, then our latter end and judgment is worse than at the first.

And if our return to riotous living is without shame and puts Jesus to open shame, crucifying Him afresh and becoming reprobate to good works, then it is impossible to even repent again at that point.

Grace is not an excuse for sins, but is the favor of God for His Son's blood, to give us space to repent and to do good, rather than evil.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In James 2:21-23, Abraham was justified by his works when he offered Isaac,
Not according to Genesis 15:6, Romans 4:3.
All of God's commandments hang on the greatest two commandments, so there is no part of the Mosaic Law that is not included as part of the greatest two commandments.
Precisely. . .they are all fulfilled in obeying Jesus' two commandments of Matthew 22:37-40.
(Romans 13:8-10).

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clare73 said:
There is no 'spiritual' repentance of the mind.
You're kidding, right?

No change of the mind about God, Jesus Christ, sin, obedience, etc., etc., etc.?
Repentance is the change of living, that ought follow confession with God.
Look up repentance (metanoeo) in Matthew 3:2, for example.
Confession is the agreement of the heart and mind with God pertaining to sins.
To confess (homologeo) is to agree (to speak the same thing) with anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Agreed.
Faith without works is still dead, and
we are not justified by faith alone,
Your disagreement is not with me, it is with Paul in Romans 4:5, Romans 3:21, Romans 3:28.

Whatever we think is of no account, remember?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Not according to Genesis 15:6, Romans 4:3.

James 2:21-23 quotes Genesis 15:6 to make that case, so it is by no means in disagreement with either Genesis 15:6 or Romans 4:3.

Precisely. . .they are all fulfilled in obeying Jesus' two commandments of Matthew 22:37-40.
(Romans 13:8-10).

If what someone is doing does not involve obedience to the Mosaic Law, then they have an incomplete understanding of what it means to obey the greatest two commandments.

Upvote 0

Grand Saba

Oct 3, 2021
Sacramento
✟15,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Saved by Grace alone. Good works follow as the evidence of faith and for the glory of God.

Not according to this :

James 2:24 "You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone."

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
James 2:21-23 quotes Genesis 15:6 to make that case, so it is by no means in disagreement with either Genesis 15:6 or Romans 4:3.
If what someone is doing does not involve obedience to the Mosaic Law, then they have an incomplete understanding of what it means to obey the greatest two commandments.
Tautological. . .not a refutation of Romans 13:8-10.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Tautological. . .not a refutation of Romans 13:8-10.
Unlike you, I am in complete agreement with Romans 13:8-10. If someone though that they only needed to obey the command to love our neighbor, so I they no longer needed to help the poor, then they would have an incomplete understanding of what it means to love our neighbor, and they would not be treating the command to love our neighbor as being the fulfillment of the command to help the poor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

U.S. Grant

Jun 7, 2021
Houston
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're kidding, right?

No change of the mind about God, Jesus Christ, sin, obedience, etc., etc., etc.?

Look up repentance (metanoeo) in Matthew 3:2, for example.

To confess (homologeo) is to agree (to speak the same thing) with anything.
By Scripture there is no such thing as 'repenting' in the mind.

Confession is the only matter of the heart and mind respected by God.

Repentance by Scripture is always accompanied with works. (Luke 3:8)(Heb 6:1)

Repentance 'of the mind' is merely a promise or a vow to do better, which has no place in the New Testament of Christ. The law pertaining to vows is no more in place.

Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: But I say unto you, Swear not at all...But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil. (Matthew 5)

The Lord Jesus cares nothing for 'mental' promises and oaths and vows with Him about doing right, but only confession of the His truth from the heart, and doing it.

Repentance is the work of doing the Word, and not being a hearer 'and agreer' only. (James 1:23)

Upvote 0

U.S. Grant

Jun 7, 2021
Houston
✟33,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed.

Your disagreement is not with me, it is with Paul in Romans 4:5, Romans 3:21, Romans 3:28.

Whatever we think is of no account, femember?
Whatever we think is of no account, Remember?

I have known some that believed they were enterally secure by grace, while admitting open fornication, and so in that regard, yes it does matter what someone thinks about grace.

But, with us that do not use grace to excuse sin, then agreeing about the 'definition' of grace, or exactly how grace 'works', is not so important as the fact of living a life well-pleasing to God by grace through faith.We agree that we are saved by grace of God through the faith of Jesus.

The fact that we are indeed saved by God's grace and not by works, means we don't have to 'understand' it logically nor perfectly, but only believe it and be thankful for it.

And so, a current life of riotous living and open sin is proof of not being saved, neither by grace, nor through faith.

Now, if someone wants to argue in favor of an open life of sin, while being saved by grace, then that is a nonstarter:

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unlike you,
And you know this, how?
I am in complete agreement with Romans 13:8-10. If someone though that they only needed to obey the command to love our neighbor, so I they no longer needed to help the poor, then they would have an incomplete understanding of what it means to love our neighbor, and they would not be treating the command to love our neighbor as being the fulfillment of the command to help the poor.
Does not alter the tautology. . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have known some that believed they were enterally secure by grace, while admitting open fornication, and so in that regard, yes it does matter what someone thinks about grace.
So you've changed your mind from your first post above?

Upvote 0