Saved by Grace doesn't mean our works don't matter. Ephesian's over all context screams this.

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s the beauty, and the risk, of having been given the gift of free will.
So it was your will that caused you to be born under condemnation?
Any authentic righteousness comes from God. Man’s problem was in confiscating that authority from God, in man being his own “god” IOW, determining right and wrong for himself.
Same tree. Death
we continue in choosing good over evil, life over death.
And still same tree. Death

My one main question was, how does God not justify all unto life since Jesus paid the price for all to be justified unto life? Rom 5:18

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So it was your will that caused you to be born under condemnation?
No, my condemnation consisted in alienation from God. He gives me the choice to remain there, or come to Him.
My one main question was, how does God not justify all unto life since Jesus paid the price for all to be justified unto life? Rom 5:18
He paid the price; but still values our freedom to reject the gift of life that resulted from that payment. The light has entered the world, but man can continue to prefer darkness over light.

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, my condemnation consisted in alienation from God. He gives me the choice to remain there, or come to Him.
Why would He send you to condemnation then give you a choice to come back, then eternally torment you if you don't?
Sounds rather odd from a God that is love which never fails.
He paid the price; but still values our freedom to reject the gift of life that resulted from that payment.
As Jesus justified all unto life, those that have not received that life yet do not have a clue as to what they supposedly are rejecting.
They have not gotten it yet, And the truth is that applies to millions of professing Christians today, plenty of head faith, but not the
faith that comes from the abundance of Christs fullness.

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does that line of thinking line up with
Jas 1:18 "Of His own will begat He us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of first fruits of His creatures."

Of Gods will are we begotten that we should become sons. What does your choice have to do with that?
It was the plan from before the founding of the world and your choice will not prevent that from happening. It may delay the process.
That may be your choice, but the outcome is predetermined.

How can anyone even see the kingdom without first being born of the Spirit? They can't
So then how do they reject what they've never even seen?

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟51,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Anyone can return to the flesh, can fail to do God's will, to persevere, to overcome sin, can resist the Spirit and lose their status as sons, which is why believers are exhorted, admonished, and warned against those things. Your freedom is not removed by rebirth.
I think we're talking about two different kinds of salvation. The one I'm talking about is the one that is secured by Christ. Several verses come to mind.
  • Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. (Heb 7:25)
  • For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. (Ro 5:10)
  • 28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. (Jn 10:28–29)
My intimate personal relationship with God, which He gifted to me when He came to live in my heart, will never be taken from me by God. And why would He? I am now one Spirit with Him and with Jesus His Son (John 17:20-21; 1 Cor 6:17). And though the flesh still exists, there is no condemnation upon me for it (Ro 8:1). And I can never return to live in the flesh again because I am dead to sin and alive to God (Ro 6:2, 6:11, 8:10).

And, having been delivered "from the power of darkness" and conveyed "into the kingdom of the Son of His love" (Col 1:13), I see the kingdom of God from the inside. I am safe within its walls from everything that is outside. He created everything, and He did not create anything strong enough to separate me from Him (Ro 8:31-38).

But I can see how people who's salvation is dependent on the proper excercise of their own wills might get tired of constantly failing and give it up. Speaking to them, Jesus said, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Mt 11:28–30)

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why would He send you to condemnation then give you a choice to come back, then eternally torment you if you don't?
Sounds rather odd from a God that is love which never fails.
Only if He's a God without justice and man is not a morally accountable being. Either way the topic here is not universalism.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My intimate personal relationship with God, which He gifted to me when He came to live in my heart, will never be taken from me by God. And why would He?
Right. It could only be taken away from you by you. And if that never happens, and it probably won't, then you've persevered.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jas 1:18 "Of His own will begat He us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of first fruits of His creatures."
The gospel has nothing to do with once for all complete regeneration without regard to man's will. If it did then there would be no need for the bible, no need for man to be informed and to learn, no need for believers to be warned and admonished, no need for the whole drama of human life where good and evil are present and deciding between the two, born out by the way we live our lives, is a struggle. Nothing in life or in the bible taken as a whole supports the idea that God created puppets whose wills are simply overwhelmed by Him such that we cannot help but choose how He determines that we'll choose. James was speaking to believers, and yet even then his words are those of encouragement, of an overseer guarding a flock that he knew could stray. All of chapter 1 along with the rest of His letter reads that way, in fact. And I sincerely doubt that every person there who first received or heard that letter necessarily ended up saved.

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟51,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Of Gods will are we begotten that we should become sons. What does your choice have to do with that?
It was the plan from before the founding of the world and your choice will not prevent that from happening. It may delay the process.

How can anyone even see the kingdom without first being born of the Spirit? They can't
They see it before they reject it.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. (Ro 1:18–23)​

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. " Heb 6:4-6

"If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. Of them the proverbs are true: “A dog returns to its vomit,” and, “A sow that is washed returns to her wallowing in the mud.”
2 Pet 2:20-22

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟51,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The gospel has nothing to do with once for all complete regeneration without regard to man's will.
Is there no place in your theology for a new man that is created according to God in true righteousness and true holiness (Eph 4:24) that lives in a house of flesh that is dead to God (Ro 8:10)?
If it did then there would be no need for the bible, no need for man to be informed and to learn, no need for believers to be warned and admonished, no need for the whole drama of human life where good and evil are present and deciding between the two, born out by the way we live our lives, is a struggle.
It seems as though these thoughts on the human struggle with sin could be from experiencing the conflict between the flesh and the Spirit (Ga 5:17), but doubt is raised because the solution offered for winning the battle seems to be flesh oriented and not spiritual (Ga 5:16).

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. (Ga 5:16–18)​
Nothing in life or in the bible taken as a whole supports the idea that God created puppets whose wills are simply overwhelmed by Him such that we cannot help but choose how He determines that we'll choose.
I agree with this.

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They see it before they reject it.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things. (Ro 1:18–23)​
And that has nothing to do with being born of the Spirit first, in order to see or understand the kingdom. You speak of Gods wrath
not His kingdom.

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gospel has nothing to do with once for all complete regeneration without regard to man's will. If it did then there would be no need for the bible, no need for man to be informed and to learn, no need for believers to be warned and admonished, no need for the whole drama of human life where good and evil are present and deciding between the two, born out by the way we live our lives, is a struggle. Nothing in life or in the bible taken as a whole supports the idea that God created puppets whose wills are simply overwhelmed by Him such that we cannot help but choose how He determines that we'll choose. James was speaking to believers, and yet even then his words are those of encouragement, of an overseer guarding a flock that he knew could stray. All of chapter 1 along with the rest of His letter reads that way, in fact. And I sincerely doubt that every person there who first received or heard that letter necessarily ended up saved.
And we are right back to square one. Your initial salvation, paid for by the blood of Jesus is given to you period. By grace are ye saved.
The working it out part is up to you with help from the Holy Ghost and the Lord in becoming what you were predestined to become.
The time frame involved is the variable that no one can but a limit on. But since salvation (initial) is a gift, God never repents of gifting
it to you so you will eventually learn to walk in the kingdom way. Paul turned over Hymenaeus and Alexander to Satan so that they
would learn to not blaspheme. Does this then mean they are not saved or simply in need of correction?

That is the difference.

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. " Heb 6:4-6
Most today that think they are saved have never tasted the heavenly gift. They have no testimony other than quoting the Bible.
There is nothing personal about there relationship that they can share. No casting out of the unclean, no being sent, no prayer
language, but they somehow still think they are qualified to tell everybody else about the kingdom, even though they themselves
cannot see it. Not born of the Spirit.

Jesus speaks to this in Matt 7:15-23

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟51,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And that has nothing to do with being born of the Spirit first, in order to see or understand the kingdom. You speak of Gods wrath
not His kingdom.
I was responding to your assertion:
The idea that people can't reject the kingdom of God until after they have been born into it is ludicrous. They see it and reject it therefore they don't enter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The idea that people can't reject the kingdom of God until after they have been born into it is ludicrous. They see it and reject it therefore they don't enter.
John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.
So what was He saying? You must be born of the Spirit before you can even SEE the Kingdom!

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It seems as though these thoughts on the human struggle with sin could be from experiencing the conflict between the flesh and the Spirit (Ga 5:17), but doubt is raised because the solution offered for winning the battle seems to be flesh oriented and not spiritual (Ga 5:16
Doubt is raised because the human will remains involved.

"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God." Rom 8:12-14

It's also as John says in his letters, that if we continue in the sin then we don't even know God; if we don't love we don't know God.

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doubt is raised because the human will remains involved.

"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God." Rom 8:12-14

It's also as John says in his letters, that if we continue in the sin then we don't even know God; if we don't love we don't know God.
And one must be born of the Spirit (election) before they can even attempt to be led of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Most today that think they are saved have never tasted the heavenly gift. They have no testimony other than quoting the Bible.
There is nothing personal about there relationship that they can share. No casting out of the unclean, no being sent, no prayer
language, but they somehow still think they are qualified to tell everybody else about the kingdom, even though they themselves
cannot see it. Not born of the Spirit.

Jesus speaks to this in Matt 7:15-23
I've tasted of the heavenly gift. And yet I know the human heart and scripture attests to it the same way. Again, that very passage alone speaks of having tasted the heavenly gift and yet returning to the flesh.

And I'll tell you this, until a person is "perfected in love", until they love God with their whole heart soul mind strength and their neighbor as themselves, then they're allegiance, and therefore their obedience, is not fully assured, because only Godly love can accomplish that in them. Anything else is pretty much talk, with plenty of people thinking they're qualified whether they are or not.

Upvote 0

Samson2021

Mar 10, 2021
Oklahoma
✟25,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've tasted of the heavenly gift. And yet I know the human heart and scripture attests to it the same way. Again, that very passage alone speaks of having tasted the heavenly gift and yet returning to the flesh.
Not really, as the passage states I NEVER KNEW YOU. It is in fact a picture of those that think they are saved and are spreading what
they truly believe to be Christianity, but as He says I never knew you, how could they be born of the Spirit, as it is in knowing Him
that one is baptized in the HG and with fire. Born again experience, ears opened, heart circumcised, tongues a flowing, tears of joy,
love overwhelming. That taste is what those people never experienced. And He says there shall be many.

They are of the non-elect and are considered the mount of Esau in OT prophecy Oba 1:21

Upvote 0