Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Currently I am studying the "schemes" of Satan so that we are not "unaware". So far I am 11 and I have a ways to go. To answer your question specifically...yes. But we have a God who gives us the power to overcome even the schemes of Satan.

That sounds like an interesting study. :oldthumbsup: Just in case you haven't covered it yet, making us believe he doesn't exist probably tops the list in my mind.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, there is a passage about how someone was sinning and was given over to Satan to teach him not to blaspheme. So I would go with yes one role of Satan is to teach us not to sin. His goal is to draw us away from God into death, this too is stated in scripture

Either way, I don't think I'd want to be friends with him.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have wondered if Satan isn't a necessary part of creation,
Only necessary if God deemed it necessary.
whose role is to teach us not to yield to temptation.
Hmmm...
That's not working too well then, is it? :)
However, it did turn out to be a role for him.
I think the Bible explains enough about how and why, and we can even understand it i.m.o.
Here was this most beautiful cherub God has made, and suddenly he was put lower n the hierarchy when God created man and gave him dominion over the earth.
I can understand that he instantly hated man and basically killed him (made him mortal) and gained the rule over the earth.
He also found other gods to rebel against God.
Why this is possible and a risk God apparently took, is because God created beings with a free (or personal) will.
When God wants to be loved by his created beings, He has to give them free will, otherwise they would be robots, programmed to love God, which would basically mean God loving Himself by means of robots...

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sure, and that is why we as individuals must stay vigilant and keep the Word in our hearts and minds, always making sure the pastor is teaching from scripture and interpreting scripture with scripture. :)
We only have so much control over the pastor. We just need to read the Bible so that we know the truth, I think.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have wondered if Satan isn't a necessary part of creation, whose role is to teach us not to yield to temptation. I've also wondered if Satan's goal isn't to force us to all bow down to him.

In a sense. I personally think the battle is over whose bride we will become. Spiritually-speaking, mankind is the female in both relationships. We "give ourselves" to one spirit or the other, whether we do so consciously or not.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds like an interesting study. :oldthumbsup: Just in case you haven't covered it yet, making us believe he doesn't exist probably tops the list in my mind.
That's a phase in working towards making believe he is the Most High.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,517.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have wondered if Satan isn't a necessary part of creation, whose role is to teach us not to yield to temptation. I've also wondered if Satan's goal isn't to force us to all bow down to him.
God would be allowing satan to continue to exist for a reason that would have some benefit to man in fulfilling man's objective like tragedies, hell, sin and evil in the world. I do not see satan taking our free will away from us, but acting similar to the way he acted with Eve. Eve seem to lust after the fruit and satan helped her along to sin outwardly and quickly, but she was being selfieh internally, before satan got involved.
Visibly doing bad stuff because of satan's temptation and our yielding to that temptation, makes us aware of our need for Spiritual help beyond what we can do ourselves.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jesus used the term satan without the article, indicating a person, and He spoke directly to him as such and to his demons as such. We have a clearer revelation in the NT than the OT provides, and I will go with it. As for satan being God's agent - not wittingly. God has promised to use everything for our benefit, but that is no credit to satan. It took the cruel cross to defeat him, and he deserves absolutely no credit for what he has done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus used the term satan without the article, indicating a person, and He spoke directly to him as such and to his demons as such. We have a clearer revelation in the NT than the OT provides, and I will go with it. As for satan being God's agent - not wittingly. God has promised to use everything for our benefit, but that is no credit to satan. It took the cruel cross to defeat him, and he deserves absolutely no credit for what he has done.
Was satan used as ac article when Jesus called Peter satan?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now the serpent was more subtle than any other wild creature that the LORD God had made. Gen 3:1a

Satan, apparently, is a clever fellow. Do you suppose sometimes he tricks us into doing his will?

Yes. A couple of years ago I started to get it just how subtle and clever this particular wording was, and deeply tricky and a terrible slippery slope hidden underfoot --

He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?”

He is still using this particular trick, with many who haven't come fully to Christ, and it's working, still.

This is one of the reasons we have to rely on reading/listening/remembering the actual words of Christ! Because we cannot expect to out-clever the enemy!

We can win through by dwelling in Christ's Words. This is the way.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not sure I have found that one in scripture yet but absolutely...might fall under deceptions and lies.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We only have so much control over the pastor. We just need to read the Bible so that we know the truth, I think.
Matthew 22:29 knowing scripture is about accurate study, meditating, and memorizing. Knowing the power of God is about living in the HS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God knew Adam would sin before He created him, but he had to let hings play out because rebellion had to be Adam's choice. Because of Adam's sin the earth was cursed. Because the earth would be cursed, it was the temporary dwelling place of Satan and the legions of fallen angels who fell with him. Their final resting place will be the lake of fire. They know this. They hate God and man who was made in God's image. They can't bring God into Hell with them, but they can bring humans so that is their goal. Until God returns and drives out evil they will be able to work their deception on humans. Their deceptions are many but all have one goal; to separate man from God. Evolution is one such tool. It's believers are here, on this website, pushing the lie of Satan and trying to separate Christians from the Scriptures which they deny. They deny that God created the world as he said; they deny the veracity of the Scriptures, and they deny that the Scriptures are the word of God. They do this not as servants of evil, but as believers and Christians. Their minds have become clouded and their tongues speak blaspheme and false teaching. Yet to them they are merely sharing a more enlightened view of God and His word. They don't even realize who their words serve. They may be every bit as devout as anyone, but their deceived notions only separate themselves and others from the truth. They are used by Satan while believing they are teaching the words of God.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Matthew 22:29 knowing scripture is about accurate study, meditating, and memorizing. Knowing the power of God is about living in the HS.
Scripture directs us to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls. I think that includes living in the Holy Spirit. "Pray constantly (1 Thess 5:17)" would seem to me to be awfully good advice.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Scripture directs us to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls. I think that includes living in the Holy Spirit. "Pray constantly (1 Thess 5:17)" would seem to me to be awfully good advice.
amen...In fact, Peter was told to stay awake and pray so that he would not sin and right after that he denied Christ.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure I have found that one in scripture yet but absolutely...might fall under deceptions and lies.

That's true... I believe Satan has reserved that deception primarily for our time, i.e. post "the enlightenment."

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟761,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Satan, apparently, is a clever fellow. Do you suppose sometimes he tricks us into doing his will?

This is the wrong question to ask because it makes us obsess over what Satan is doing instead of meditating on God and his word and what he's done already.

Upvote 0