Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now the serpent was more subtle than any other wild creature that the LORD God had made. Gen 3:1a

Satan, apparently, is a clever fellow. Do you suppose sometimes he tricks us into doing his will?

Sure, as an agent of G-d it is his duty to try and lead us astray, just as any good District Attorney will try and snare a person in their words or deeds. This is what keeps us having "free will".

*My view follows the Jewish view of HaSatan/Satan which is less of a demi-god view of most Christendom and views HaSatan as an agent of G-d who's purpose is to accuse or tempt us. See the books of Job and Zachariah.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sure, as an agent of G-d it is his duty to try and lead us astray, just as any good District Attorney will try and snare a person in their words or deeds. This is what keeps us having "free will".

*My view follows the Jewish view of HaSatan/Satan which is less of a demi-god view of most Christendom and views HaSatan as an agent of G-d who's purpose is to accuse or tempt us. See the books of Job and Zachariah.
Why do you call him "HaSatan"?

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does he have allies in the churches?
From what i understand, satanists (and the like) sometimes join churches just to bring trouble.
But there are also false teachings and teachers that find their ways into churches.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you call him "HaSatan"?
It's Hebrew for 'the (ha) divider (satan)' (who brings division between God and man, between God's people, between the gods (angels)).
"satan" is not a name, you shouldn't write it with a capital S.

• Haha
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
From what i understand, satanists (and the like) sometimes join churches just to bring trouble.
But there are also false teachings and teachers that find their ways into churches.
And maybe Satan targets people in high places in the churches?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It's Hebrew for 'the (ha) divider (satan)' (who brings division between God and man, between God's people, between the gods (angels)).
"satan" is not a name, you shouldn't write it with a capital S.
Satan is capitalized in my Bible.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Satan is capitalized in my Bible.
As it is in my JPS Study Bible and Artscroll Tanach...not sure about the capitalization part. Perhaps when used as a proper name? Could also be translated "Adversary" (with capital letter) my JPS Study Bible states.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And maybe Satan targets people in high places in the churches?
He does what he can to make people choose for anything but Jesus Christ.
Satan wants to be recognised as the Most High himself.
He will succeed for a short while too.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
What Hieronymus said :)
I have wondered if Satan isn't a necessary part of creation, whose role is to teach us not to yield to temptation. I've also wondered if Satan's goal isn't to force us to all bow down to him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
He does what he can to make people choose for anything but Jesus Christ.
Satan wants to be recognised as the Most High himself.
He will succeed for a short while too.
And perhaps by leading church leaders astray, he can lead large portions of their congregations astray.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have wondered if Satan isn't a necessary part of creation, whose role is to teach us not to yield to temptation. I've also wondered if Satan's goal isn't to force us to all bow down to him.
Well, there is a passage about how someone was sinning and was given over to Satan to teach him not to blaspheme. So I would go with yes one role of Satan is to teach us not to sin. His goal is to draw us away from God into death, this too is stated in scripture

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reading Job, Jewish teachings from the 1st century and earlier, it would seem that the classical "Christian" view is not really in line with the older texts but somehow developed Satan into a demi-god and has more of a dualism aspect to Good Vs Evil than we read about in the OT or the NT with that in mind. Whatever is written in the NT has to be reconciled with the OT/Jewish scriptures and interpreted in that light as it builds on the OT and the writers would have used it as their bar. Even with the teaching of HaSatan as an agent of G-d we can see how it fits with Jesus/Yeshua rebuking him and other passages about HaSatan in the NT. There are only two passages mentioning HaSatan by name in the OT, and they are Job and Zachariah.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And perhaps by leading church leaders astray, he can lead large portions of their congregations astray.
Sure, and that is why we as individuals must stay vigilant and keep the Word in our hearts and minds, always making sure the pastor is teaching from scripture and interpreting scripture with scripture. :)

Upvote 0