✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

“So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing” (1 Thessalonians 5:11).

“But, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love” (Ephesians 4:15-16).

I have come across a lot of sarcasm and put-downs on Christian Forums. It is really triggering and disheartening. I am sure i did it a time or two. Which I am remorseful about.

Do you believe someone can be sarcastic and edify at the same time?

What is the verse meaning by build each other up?

What do you believe the purpose of sarcasm might be?

Is it possible to be Christ-Like and be sarcastic at the same time?

~Natsumi Lam~

• Prayers
Reactions: ChicanaRose

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think, if your intent is holy, sarcasm can be used. There are several instances in the NT where Jesus used sarcasm to make a point.

At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath, and His disciples became hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat. But when the Pharisees saw this, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples do what is not lawful to do on a Sabbath.” But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he became hungry …” – Matthew 12:1–3
- Jesus knew that the Pharisees have read Scripture. He's using this as a deliberate taunt to refute their accusations.

The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him.Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” – John 10:31–32
- This is a decisively aimed sarcastic comment made by Jesus to a mob of people.

Paul used sarcasm as well. But if I listed how many times Paul used it we'd be here all day long ;)

I will say that sarcasm used to belittle someone and hurt them just for the fun of it is wrong. However, I have used sarcasm directed at myself for the purpose of a joke or to make light of my own mistakes.

In short, it's all about intent.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think, if your intent is holy, sarcasm can be used. There are several instances in the NT where Jesus used sarcasm to make a point.

At that time Jesus went through the grain fields on the Sabbath, and His disciples became hungry and began to pick the heads of grain and eat. But when the Pharisees saw this, they said to Him, “Look, Your disciples do what is not lawful to do on a Sabbath.” But He said to them, “Have you not read what David did when he became hungry …” – Matthew 12:1–3
- Jesus knew that the Pharisees have read Scripture. He's using this as a deliberate taunt to refute their accusations.

The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him.Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” – John 10:31–32
- This is a decisively aimed sarcastic comment made by Jesus to a mob of people.

Paul used sarcasm as well. But if I listed how many times Paul used it we'd be here all day long ;)

I will say that sarcasm used to belittle someone and hurt them just for the fun of it is wrong. However, I have used sarcasm directed at myself for the purpose of a joke or to make light of my own mistakes.

In short, it's all about intent.

Is there anyway to discern the intent of another's heart? Whether their intent is noble or not? Or are we at the mercy of another? Is it edifying at the same time?

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is there anyway to discern the intent of another's heart? Whether their intent is noble or not? Or are we at the mercy of another? Is it edifying at the same time?
i dont think that answers any of the questions. That is not the answer to the sarcasm. this site has much to offer.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

In my experiences with people from all walks of life, it is fairly easy to tell when someone is using sarcasm to belittle or make fun of you personally. Of course, that's just my experience and I can't say it would be easy for someone who has difficulty with telling sarcastic statements and tones apart from normal ones (ex: someone with autism/aspergers).

We are sort of at the mercy of one another and we have to rely on scripture and spiritual discernment to tell the difference between good and bad. Above all, we must be patient with one another regardless as God is more than patient with us.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sarcasm can be a useful tool to help illustrate a point. So if the point is something biblical, then yeah, sarcasm can be edifying. I actually do it quite often when I'm preaching (usually it is self-deprecating in an extremely obvious and funny manner). That's just kinda part of my personality. That being said when done online it can be misconstrued much more easily. I've made sarcastic comments on facebook posts of a close friend of mine who is an itinerant minister. They were (in my view) light-hearted and silly, but more than once I've had people (who I don't know) call me out and say that I'm a "mean pastor" and, "I should know better". Now that's a joke between my friend and I... what a meany I am.

• Informative
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it possible to be Christ-Like and be sarcastic at the same time?
Yes, it depends, like I think others mean to say, here.

I think you need to get to know someone so you can know where the person is coming from.

Sometimes, I see what appears to be sarcastic, and it is meant to show that someone needs to evaluate what that person is giving attention. And yes we always need to stay prayerful so God is guiding our attention. So, even if in such a case a person is being sarcastic in a wrong way, still his or her point could be correct and we can benefit from it but not allow the person to have power to get us down or off-track.

I have come across a lot of sarcasm and put-downs on Christian Forums. It is really triggering and disheartening.
Like I offer, even if someone is nasty and wrong, we need to be strong in Jesus so that can not have power over us. So, if ones are wrong with you, use this as an opportunity to check yourself out and trust God to make us stronger and more real in His love >

"And I will very gladly spend and be spent for your souls; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I am loved." (2 Corinthians 12:15)

You do not have to know the other person's intentions. But simply trust the LORD to make His use of what people do. Plus, in any case, make sure you obey how God guides our attention. Trust God to change us so we are more successful in keeping our attention with Him, in the guiding of His peace > Colossians 3:15. Depend on Him for this.

If it is being used against a person (i.e. to degrade someone or his view), then I don't think it stems out of Christ-like love.
But sometimes the wrong person is right about how the other is wrong. And God might use someone wrong to confront another wrong person. And "first of all" (1 Timothy 2:1-4) we are to pray with hope for all people > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

So, in case someone is criticizing someone else, but does not have hope for the person, this is failing to love. And one is missing out on so much, by not loving.

"And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?" (1 Peter 3:13)

So, I would say do not accept being a victim and staying hurt, and blaming someone else, or allowing wrong people to have power over us. Our Apostle Paul says, "I will not be brought under the power of any," in 1 Corinthians 6:12. So, in case someone does have power over you to control you and make you suffer, what is it that you are under the power of so the person can effect you by controlling that thing???? What are you seeking, which an evil person can effect?????

Because Jesus gives us what is superior to all which this world can effect.

"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Romans 8:37)

What we get is more than what conquerors can get or even control. We do not use the methods which conquerors use, and our methods get all which is so superior to what conquerors can get with their methods.

So, do not allow anyone to have power to somehow conquer you with unkind and ungodly sarcasm. And do not fear what it can do, because it can effect only what is inferior . . . if it is ungodly. So, in case people can get me going the wrong way, first I am my main problem :)

Upvote 0