San Francisco Restaurants Add Health Care Surcharge.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fox News: One of the provisions in the new health care law requires small businesses to provide coverage for workers. Such an "employer mandate" has been in place in San Francisco, Calif., for over a year. The mandate has earned mixed reviews at best. Under the law, businesses with 20 or more employees are required to provide medical coverage, either on their own or by paying into a city-run program. That's what most restaurants are doing -- albeit grudgingly.

Breitbart.tv » San Francisco Restaurants Add Health Care Surcharge

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟374,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Crap! I can't believe someone is trying to protect workers and that the cost of goods and services being provided to us would more accurately reflect the impact of the work it took to get from farm to belly!

When you buy stuff cheap, you do it at the expense of other people's livelihood, comfort, and economic sustainability. But, I guess if it's all about you (ie... the consumer) then why would you care?

Reactions: ACougar
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,127,665.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Crap! I can't believe someone is trying to protect workers and that the cost of goods and services being provided to us would more accurately reflect the impact of the work it took to get from farm to belly!

When you buy stuff cheap, you do it at the expense of other people's livelihood, comfort, and economic sustainability. But, I guess if it's all about you (ie... the consumer) then why would you care?

Perhaps San Franciscans' restaurant meals will be safer when they don't have sick cooks stirring the pots and sick waiters coughing over the trays...

Uninsured, working class employees usually don't have the luxury of taking off from work when they're sick, especially since servers would only get their subminimum wage ($3 or $4 an hour) and forfeit all the tips they might have otherwise earned.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Exactly, what's wrong with those liberals trying to treat everyone like they would want to be treated?

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I can't understand why this story keeps popping up. People can charge whatever they want to charge, this place just wants to make a point of letting people know that they are paying for healthcare to make a point. I'm not exactly sure what point they are trying to make, it could go both ways.

Upvote 0

one11

Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
✟16,895.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well there ya go.....not only will our taxes go up to pay for this disaster bill, but we now get taxed directly from businesses affected by it. Wonderful.

In the OP, it reads:

Under the law, businesses with 20 or more employees are required to provide medical coverage, either on their own or by paying into a city-run program.

I think small business owners should provide health care for their workers. Why do you think not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the OP, it reads:

Under the law, businesses with 20 or more employees are required to provide medical coverage, either on their own or by paying into a city-run program.

I think small business owners should provide health care for their workers. Why do you think not?

Unless those small business owners are MDs I wouldn't want them providing health care for me. Why do you think small business owners should be responsible for their employees health care? Who should be responsible for the small business owners health care? Should the employees ever have any grown up responsibilities of their own? Should they be tucked in at night by the small business owners as well?

Upvote 0

wpiman2

Oct 6, 2007
Godless Massachusetts
✟18,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unless those small business owners are MDs I wouldn't want them providing health care for me. Why do you think small business owners should be responsible for their employees health care? Who should be responsible for the small business owners health care? Should the employees ever have any grown up responsibilities of their own? Should they be tucked in at night by the small business owners as well?

This is part of the progressive dream to destroy all business in America.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Talk about misleading title. As the quoted summary even says, it's been in place for over a year in SF. It has nothing to do with the HCR.

Only it does have everything to do with HCR, because this is what we're going to begin seeing on a national scale. If consumers are feeling the pinch of cost increases in San Francisco, imagine how it will feel when we can't escape it, not even for a brief moment.

I remember when we had a gas shortage here in Georgia a couple of years ago. It was very costly to ship goods because fuel prices went through the roof, despite laws in place that prohibit price gouging. Anyway, the entire fiasco touched nearly every aspect of living here. Small businesses having to shut down temporarily because they couldn't find couriers (courier services closed down because of no gas) or because their employees didn't have the gas to commute. Schools having a shorter week of instruction because they couldn't fuel up their buses. And then there was the cost of groceries. During the gas shortage, when food suppliers were charging more due to increased shipping charges because the trucks couldn't refuel for under $8 a gallon, I recall Mayfield Milk going up to $10.98 a gallon. A loaf of Publix brand bread was $3.99. Of course, once the gas crisis was over prices went back to normal, but those were tough and uncertain times.

What is the point to my little personal anecdote? The point is that businesses - large and small - are not going to eat the extra cost at the expense of their bottom line. The federal government says, "you're going to have to offer your employees medical insurance, even your part-time employees". The business owner, whether he owns a yacht or drives a 1985 Buick, is going to look at the budget and realize that this is going to cost money and cut into profits. Are they supposed to shrug and take a profit cut or are they "evil and greedy" by passing that additional expense onto the consumer?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟374,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Talk about misleading title. As the quoted summary even says, it's been in place for over a year in SF. It has nothing to do with the HCR.

But that's par for course for Fox.
Only it does have everything to do with HCR, because this is what we're going to begin seeing on a national scale. If consumers are feeling the pinch of cost increases in San Francisco, imagine how it will feel when we can't escape it, not even for a brief moment.

I remember when we had a gas shortage here in Georgia a couple of years ago. It was very costly to ship goods because fuel prices went through the roof, despite laws in place that prohibit price gouging. Anyway, the entire fiasco touched nearly every aspect of living here. Small businesses having to shut down temporarily because they couldn't find couriers (courier services closed down because of no gas) or because their employees didn't have the gas to commute. Schools having a shorter week of instruction because they couldn't fuel up their buses. And then there was the cost of groceries. During the gas shortage, when food suppliers were charging more due to increased shipping charges because the trucks couldn't refuel for under $8 a gallon, I recall Mayfield Milk going up to $10.98 a gallon. A loaf of Publix brand bread was $3.99. Of course, once the gas crisis was over prices went back to normal, but those were tough and uncertain times.

What is the point to my little personal anecdote? The point is that businesses - large and small - are not going to eat the extra cost at the expense of their bottom line. The federal government says, "you're going to have to offer your employees medical insurance, even your part-time employees". The business owner, whether he owns a yacht or drives a 1985 Buick, is going to look at the budget and realize that this is going to cost money and cut into profits. Are they supposed to shrug and take a profit cut or are they "evil and greedy" by passing that additional expense onto the consumer?
Dracil... you fell for the old "Implied but not stated" Fox News trick!

Sucker!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Nice anecdote. Let me share with you another anecdote. Despite all the hullabaloo about it before it passed, the health surcharge in SF hasn't made the sky fall here. So I'll take option C, we don't actually see the charge that often nor do we actually care that much about paying a little extra if we're eating out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice anecdote. Let me share with you my anecdote. This health surcharge in SF hasn't made the sky fall here.

I don't think anyone is claiming it has made "the sky fall", but in hard economic times can businesses afford yet another financial burden and can the consumer withstand the weight of higher taxation and increase in the cost of goods and services? Here is how the cycle works:

Companies have a financial burden placed on them > company has two choices - raise the cost of goods or lay off employees. Some choose both > increase in cost is passed on to the consumer > standing or prospetive consumer worked for a company that had to downsize, thus taking away their buying power > company cannot offset financial burden by increasing costs because not enough people are buying > company shuts down and everyone loses their job > one company is left in a town to provide a specific good or service and they cannot afford to hire enough employees to accommodate the needs of the increase in workload > what's left of the consumer base is dissatisfied and seeks an alternative > no competitive market leads to either a disastrous monopoly or the failure of an industry altogether.

Upvote 0

one11

Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
✟16,895.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The small business owner's are going to be receiving tax benefits for providing the health care to their employees. We'll just have to wait and see how this all works out in regards to payment of health care plans and tax breaks for providing health care programs to the employees.

Upvote 0