Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The literal Greek of that Passage is as follows:

1 Corinthians 10:13 Young's Literal Translation
13 No temptation hath taken you -- except human; and God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above what ye are able, but He will make, with the temptation, also the outlet, for your being able to bear [it].

God provides you a way out for your being able to bear the temptation. However, if God GUARANTEED that you would endure, then you would. But you don't, because every Christian, at some points during his life, will fall into temptation.

It's not saying that a Christian won't fall into temptation, it's saying that God will deliver you from it by giving to the power to be able to endure it.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So when it comes to faith and living and walking by the Spirit, we are completely on our own?

Not at all. As the believer lives and walks by the Spirit, the Spirit frees us from from sin's power over us, and guides our faith to live a righteous life.

That righteous life is not a guaranteed by the Spirit. Rather, we must continue in the faith, living and walking by the Spirit so that we may live.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can a person not have power, if CHRIST is in them?

There is a way around it....
Most find it.

All you have to do is live here : "apart from me you can do nothing".

This means the believer is trying by self effort to achieve only what Christ can empower us to do.

The Power of Salvation, is the CROSS.
The power to live holy, is Christ in you.

When a person is trying to save themselves then they are up on the Cross.
When a person is trying by willpower and personal effort to live holy, they are disconnected from : "Christ always GIVES me the Victory".

The power of God onto salvation is ours by faith.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not at all. As the believer lives and walks by the Spirit, the Spirit frees us from from sin's power over us, and guides our faith to live a righteous life.

That's what I've been getting at all along.

That righteous life is not a guaranteed by the Spirit. Rather, we must continue in the faith, living and walking by the Spirit so that we may live.

But doesn't that happen because the Spirit frees us from from sin's power over us, and guides our faith to live a righteous life?

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't the Holy Spirit enable and empower us to walk in the Spirit?

In the sense that only the born again, who have the Holy Spirit in them, have this opportunity.

This means that to walk in the Spirit, is not the same as having Christ in you, or the HS in you, or God in you.

The "walking in the Spirit" is not the doing of good deeds, or being empowered to do them.... As you can do good deeds and be Hitler.
He did a few, but apparently not too many.

So, walking IN the Spirit, ( my Thread) is to exist in the right MIND vs the Natural mind.

The natural mind, analyzes and tries to make everything logical or not.
The natural mind REASONS, whereas the Mind of the Spirit, exists in FAITH and BELIEF.

Jesus said that all things are possible if you believe.
So, that is the mind that is walking in the Spirit.
Most dont, so their prayers never get answered.

The Mind of Christ has nothing to do with REASONING as we do it...... As His mind is God's mind.
This is explained by this verse.

"""For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.""""

See that?
Thats not the mind of a person, that the mind of DIETY.
So, we are to renew our minds, in that direction, and the best we can do, is to be heavenly minded and this means we are to only see ourselves as God sees us, as the "new Creation". "in Christ"

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not saying that a Christian won't fall into temptation, it's saying that God will deliver you from it by giving to the power to be able to endure it.

There is is big difference between being tempted and falling into temptation.

Lord Jesus was tempted in every way just as we are, but yet without sin.

Hebrews 4:15 (WEB)
15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but one who has been in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin.

God provides us a way out before falling into the temptation so we can bear being tempted.

Those who fall into temptation are in danger of Spiritual death. Only those who endure temptation without sin will receive the Crown of Life.

James 1:12-16 (WEB)
12 Blessed is a person who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to those who love him.
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted by evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed. 15 Then the lust, when it has conceived, bears sin. The sin, when it is full grown, produces death. 16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that walking as Lord Jesus walked is optional to be saved?

You said..>>"to be saved"......is that what you said?

You said we are to "walk as the Lord walked". "to BE saved".

To become saved....

Then no.

See, a person goes to the Lord as a SINNER, UNGODLY< and God resolves this for them, by Christ's blood and Death.

After that.......after they become a NEW CREATION< they are kept the same.

Salvation does not wear out or wash off.
Its eternal, just like Jesus who is our Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the sense that only the born again, who have the Holy Spirit in them, have this opportunity.

This means that to walk in the Spirit, is not the same as having Christ in you, or the HS in you, or God in you.

The "walking in the Spirit" is not the doing of good deeds, or being empowered to do them.... As you can do good deeds and be Hitler.
He did a few, but apparently not too many.

So, walking IN the Spirit, ( my Thread) is to exist in the right MIND vs the Natural mind.

The natural mind, analyzes and tries to make everything logical or not.
The natural mind REASONS, whereas the Mind of the Spirit, exists in FAITH and BELIEF.

Jesus said that all things are possible if you believe.
So, that is the mind that is walking in the Spirit.
Most dont, so their prayers never get answered.

The Mind of Christ has nothing to do with REASONING as we do it...... As His mind is God's mind.
This is explained by this verse.

"""For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.""""

See that?
Thats not the mind of a person, that the mind of DIETY.
So, we are to renew our minds, in that direction, and the best we can do, is to be heavenly minded and this means we are to only see ourselves as God sees us, as the "new Creation". "in Christ"

All true Christians have the Spirit living in them.

Paul was writing to Christians.

Romans 8:12-13 (NIV) 12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation — but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB) 7 Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 Let US not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if WE do not give up.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You said..>>"to be saved"......is that what you said?

You said we are to "walk as the Lord walked". "to BE saved".

To become saved....

Then no.

See, a person goes to the Lord as a SINNER, UNGODLY< and God resolves this for them, by Christ's blood and Death.

After that.......after they become a NEW CREATION< they are kept the same.

Salvation does not wear out or wash off.
Its eternal, just like Jesus who is our Eternal Life.

This all comes by repenting and faith - renouncing the old life of sin, and the a commitment to follow Jesus.

By faith, we are to listen to and follow Lord Jesus to receive eternal life. Isn't that what Lord Jesus teaches?

John 10:27-28
27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The power of God onto salvation is ours by faith.

Yes.

God offers you Eternal Life for free. "by faith".

You give God your faith and God will give you JESUS.

Jesus comes to live in you, when you are born again, and not just water baptized.

Jesus Himself is ETERNAL Life.
Jesus is Salvation.
Jesus is the Blood Atonement
Jesus is reconciliation back to God.
Jesus is "the Resurrection".
Jesus is the GRACE OF GOD.
Jesus is our REDEMPTION

If you have Jesus in you, you have all that and more. = for eternity

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's what I've been getting at all along.

But doesn't that happen because the Spirit frees us from from sin's power over us, and guides our faith to live a righteous life?

Actually no. The ordinance of the Law is only fulfilled in those who walk by the Spirit.

Romans 8:3-4 (WEB) 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh; 4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes.

God offers you Eternal Life for free. "by faith".

You give God your faith and God will give you JESUS.

Jesus comes to live in you, when you are born again, and not just water baptized.

Jesus Himself is ETERNAL Life.
Jesus is Salvation.
Jesus is the Blood Atonement
Jesus is reconciliation back to God.
Jesus is "the Resurrection".
Jesus is the GRACE OF GOD.
Jesus is our REDEMPTION

If you have Jesus in you, you have all that and more. = for eternity

Do you agree that faith includes repentance - dying to the old life of sin, and now live to follow God?

Galatians 5:24-25 (WEB)
24 Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is is big difference between being tempted and falling into temptation.

"No temptation hath taken you" (Young's) And "No temptation has overtaken you" (Strong's) sounds more like falling into temptation.

Lord Jesus was tempted in every way just as we are, but yet without sin.

Hebrews 4:15 (WEB)
15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities, but one who has been in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin.

God provides us a way out before falling into the temptation so we can bear being tempted.

Those who fall into temptation are in danger of Spiritual death. Only those who endure temptation without sin will receive the Crown of Life.

James 1:12-16 (WEB)
12 Blessed is a person who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which the Lord promised to those who love him.
13 Let no man say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted by evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed. 15 Then the lust, when it has conceived, bears sin. The sin, when it is full grown, produces death. 16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.

James 1:12-16 seems to contradict 1 Corinthians 10:13. Although 1 Corinthians 10:13 is really saying that God will not test you beyond your ability. peirasmos 3986: probation, testing, being tried

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Passage says nothing about falling into temptation, because that is a no no.

The Passage is referring to bearing the temptation before we fall. God gives us a way out.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All true Christians have the Spirit living in them.

Paul was writing to Christians.

Romans 8:12-13 (NIV) 12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation — but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

Galatians 6:7-9 (WEB) 7 Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption. But he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 Let US not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if WE do not give up.

Eternal life is Jesus in us, not what we do.

Also, we do have an obligation to live honoring God.

But this is not how we stay saved.
Its just our discipleship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually no. The ordinance of the Law is only fulfilled in those who walk by the Spirit.

Romans 8:3-4 (WEB) 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God did, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh; 4 that the ordinance of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

"because the Spirit frees us from from sin's power over us, and guides our faith to live a righteous life".

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Eternal life is Jesus in us, not what we do.

Also, we do have an obligation to live honoring God.

But this is not how we stay saved.
Its just our discipleship.

The verses about walking in the Spirit are for Christians who have the Spirit already living in them. That is what the Scriptures state that I included.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This all comes by repenting and faith - renouncing the old life of sin, and the a commitment to follow Jesus.

Salvation is God's Gift that He gives when a person repents of unbelief, as proven by God accepting their faith, to save them.

Following our Salvation, we learn how to be a disciple.
There is your "following".

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The verses about walking in the Spirit are for Christians who have the Spirit already living in them. That is what the Scriptures state that I included.

Yes, as i said.

An unbeliever can't walk in the Spirit, as they dont have Jesus in them, as they are not born again.

However, walking in the Spirit, is not about doing deeds with your body.

Upvote 0

setst777

Site Supporter
Aug 25, 2018
Greenfield
Visit site
✟354,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"because the Spirit frees us from from sin's power over us, and guides our faith to live a righteous life".

Yes, "US" who believe. By faith the Spirit frees us. The faith that is genuine is a faith that is demonstrated by living and walking by the Spirit God gives us by faith.

Upvote 0