✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2 said:
This is not true at all. Where does the Bible say anything close to this??
No one is saved by "desire". Nowhere does the Bible say this.
Who gives us the desire?
Holy Spirit?
M
No. The Holy Spirit gives us conviction, as Jesus said.

John 16:8-10
8 "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment;
9 concerning sin, becausethey do not believe in Me;
10 and concerningrighteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longersee Me;

I don't see "desire" anywhere.

People don't believe because they desire. They desire because they believe.

iow, they understand the gospel message, and desire salvation.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SYNONYMS FOR desire
  • covet, fancy.
  • solicit.
  • aspiration, hunger, appetite, thirst.
upload_2020-11-7_5-28-12.png

Dictionary.com › browse › desire
Desire | Definition of Desire at Dictionary.com

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This is a question I have for my own personal salvation honestly. I have been trying to figure out how I can be saved but a big wrench in my searching is the whole "Calvinistic doctrine" as people call it. These Calvinists argue that I can't save myself, which I believe is true. But they say that I am predestined to either hell or heaven. Predestined to continue in sin or to repent and believe in Christ for my salvation. They basically teach that I have no free will but I am still responsible for if I go to hell or not. I am hopelessly confused by these teachings (predestination, free will, salvation.) I thought salvation was supposed to be simple but honestly it seems like most people who call themselves Christians can't even agree on how salvation works. I've seen constant arguing between Calvinists and others and now it has confused me, an unbeliever, to the point where I don't know what to do for salvation.

Do I repent and believe? Do I just hope that I have been predestined to be saved? Do I just ask God to save me?

And I'm afraid that no matter what I do I will be seeking salvation the wrong way. I've heard people even say that trying to seek faith in Christ or trying to believe is a work. Or that I am placing my faith in my faith instead of Christ (if that makes sense even.)

Some have said that repenting and believing is a work. And some have even said that salvation comes before repentance and belief. That only the elect will believe.

Do I just hope and beg God to save me? If I am not elect then he won't do it anyway. If I am not predestined he won't save me. That is what I've heard from Calvinists at least.

What if I am not one of the elect or predestined to be saved? As an unbeliever I am hopelessly confused as to how to be saved.
Bling post.

I’m a Calvinist. Don’t worry about the doctrine. Repent and believe the gospel.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How old is the eastern orthodox church? 800 years old?

And credible people held Reformed doctrines a lot longer then 500 years ago.

The church in Antioch is mentioned in the Bible which is the Orthodox Church. They adopted the name Orthodox in 1054 as a way to distinguish them from the Roman Church. The word Orthodox means genuine. The word orthodox was typically used in reference to sound or solid theology as opposed to heretical theology. For example if a person made a heretical claim about a certain doctrine they would say that teaching is not orthodox or if a person was correct in their statement they would say that is orthodox. It was a way of saying correct. So after the schism of 1054 all of the Eastern Churches adopted the name Orthodox Catholic Church as a way of saying they were the correct or genuine universal church. Changing the name of a church does not change its establishment. It was still the same people preaching the same gospel and doctrines they always had. Furthermore just to show the magnitude of those who opposed Rome’s claim to papal supremacy the church was governed by 5 bishops at that time who governed the churches in their jurisdiction. They were the bishops of Antioch, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Constantinople, and Rome. When the schism was over only Rome stood alone. All of the other 4 churches of the Pentarchy adopted the name Orthodox rejecting Rome’s claim of papal supremacy over the church. So it wasn’t only a small number of churches who adopted the name orthodox it was every church outside of Rome that adopted it.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There you go
that brought it home plain and simple.
M
Unless the words "repent" and "gospel" are clearly defined, it isn't either plain or simple.

Hebrews 4 uses the word "gospel" but it doesn't refer to soul salvation in that context.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”
— Mark 1:14-15

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Now after John had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”
— Mark 1:14-15
Unless "repent" and "believe" are clearly defined, it's neither plain nor simple.

Some people mistakenly think that one must "turn from their sin" in order to be saved.

Since Jesus Christ died for the sins of everyone, that action does not save anyone.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Unless "repent" and "believe" are clearly defined, it's neither plain nor simple.

Some people mistakenly think that one must "turn from their sin" in order to be saved.

Since Jesus Christ died for the sins of everyone, that action does not save anyone.
I’m not in the position to question Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There was no question. The issue is clarification. Can you clarify?
and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
— Acts 16:30-31

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
There was no question. The issue is clarification. Can you clarify?

Well you are a fine one to ask for clarification.

You had a perfect opportunity in this thread to demonstrate how a person can be saved by using their free-will and you failed.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
— Acts 16:30-31
OK, good. That clarifies "believe". Now for "repent". Can you define that one for salvation?

Or, if not, does "turning from sin" result in salvation?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well you are a fine one to ask for clarification.
Thanks. I agree. I am a fine person.

You had a perfect opportunity in this thread to demonstrate how a person can be saved by using their free-will and you failed.
Well, it seems you have been terribly misled. No one "uses free will". That doesn't even make sense.

Free will is freedom to choose. It's not an action, the way you seem to mock it.

Free will doesn't "do" things. Free will is an opportunity to choose.

If you think otherwise, please explain and prove your point.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. I agree. I am a fine person.

Well, it seems you have been terribly misled. No one "uses free will". That doesn't even make sense.

Free will is freedom to choose. It's not an action, the way you seem to mock it.

Free will doesn't "do" things. Free will is an opportunity to choose.

If you think otherwise, please explain and prove your point.

You failed. And you are no teacher either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
OK, good. That clarifies "believe". Now for "repent". Can you define that one for salvation?

Or, if not, does "turning from sin" result in salvation?
I never said that it did. I did, however, quote the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I never said that it did. I did, however, quote the Lord Jesus Christ.
You responded to another poster's comment about "repent" and "believe".

But now you seem unwilling to discuss how YOU mean the word "repent" as it relates to salvation?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You responded to another poster's comment about "repent" and "believe".

But now you seem unwilling to discuss how YOU mean the word "repent" as it relates to salvation?
The key phrase being “another member”.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.