Jackson
✟13,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is a question I have for my own personal salvation honestly. I have been trying to figure out how I can be saved but a big wrench in my searching is the whole "Calvinistic doctrine" as people call it. These Calvinists argue that I can't save myself, which I believe is true. But they say that I am predestined to either hell or heaven. Predestined to continue in sin or to repent and believe in Christ for my salvation. They basically teach that I have no free will but I am still responsible for if I go to hell or not. I am hopelessly confused by these teachings (predestination, free will, salvation.) I thought salvation was supposed to be simple but honestly it seems like most people who call themselves Christians can't even agree on how salvation works. I've seen constant arguing between Calvinists and others and now it has confused me, an unbeliever, to the point where I don't know what to do for salvation.

Do I repent and believe? Do I just hope that I have been predestined to be saved? Do I just ask God to save me?

And I'm afraid that no matter what I do I will be seeking salvation the wrong way. I've heard people even say that trying to seek faith in Christ or trying to believe is a work. Or that I am placing my faith in my faith instead of Christ (if that makes sense even.)

Some have said that repenting and believing is a work. And some have even said that salvation comes before repentance and belief. That only the elect will believe.

Do I just hope and beg God to save me? If I am not elect then he won't do it anyway. If I am not predestined he won't save me. That is what I've heard from Calvinists at least.

What if I am not one of the elect or predestined to be saved? As an unbeliever I am hopelessly confused as to how to be saved.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
This is a question I have for my own personal salvation honestly. I have been trying to figure out how I can be saved but a big wrench in my searching is the whole "Calvinistic doctrine" as people call it. These Calvinists argue that I can't save myself, which I believe is true. But they say that I am predestined to either hell or heaven. Predestined to continue in sin or to repent and believe in Christ for my salvation. They basically teach that I have no free will but I am still responsible for if I go to hell or not. I am hopelessly confused by these teachings (predestination, free will, salvation.) I thought salvation was supposed to be simple but honestly it seems like most people who call themselves Christians can't even agree on how salvation works. I've seen constant arguing between Calvinists and others and now it has confused me, an unbeliever, to the point where I don't know what to do for salvation.

Do I repent and believe? Do I just hope that I have been predestined to be saved? Do I just ask God to save me?

And I'm afraid that no matter what I do I will be seeking salvation the wrong way. I've heard people even say that trying to seek faith in Christ or trying to believe is a work. Or that I am placing my faith in my faith instead of Christ (if that makes sense even.)

Some have said that repenting and believing is a work. And some have even said that salvation comes before repentance and belief. That only the elect will believe.

Do I just hope and beg God to save me? If I am not elect then he won't do it anyway. If I am not predestined he won't save me. That is what I've heard from Calvinists at least.

What if I am not one of the elect or predestined to be saved? As an unbeliever I am hopelessly confused as to how to be saved.
We need to know what the Lord Jesus said, not what various schools of thought think that He meant. Don't worry about predestination. Jesus saves, not the "right" theology. Lord Jesus said that the one who said, "God be merciful to me a sinner" was made right with God.

If you are not one of the elect then you will have no interest in salvation. The fact that you care at all gives you 1,000 points in God's eyes. No one knows who is predestined and who is not. May I suggest that you read this:

The Way - Christian Life Frankston

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please get away from this terrible teaching, it held me in its grip for years as well. The Scripture says that all who call on the Name of The Lord shall be saved.

Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

If you hate sin, and you know you need to be saved from it because you can't be perfect in your own right, then you may know that the Spirit of God worked that into you, for an unbeliever doesn't care about God, sin or salvation only about living it up for themselves.

So if there is a prayer in your heart to be saved, then that prayer is from God's Spirit, but if you rather keep sinning and don't believe that Jesus needs to save you, or is unable to save you, then you fall into the unbeliever category, not before.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John Calvin missinterpreted the truth and lead many to believe a lie. If you confess your sin, turn away from faith in yourself and place your trust in Gods work, you will be saved. Christ is the way to God, not Calvin. If he had never been born it wouldn't make a difference.

• Agree
Reactions: Spiritual Jew
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Hi! I figured it would be best to get an honest reply from a Calvinist. Than to get a bunch of "comforting" replies from other Christians who either have a biased or "incorrect" if you will view of Calvinism. Yes, It's true that we believe that God chose people for Heaven and God chose people for Hell and that God's sheep were predestined by God from before the foundation of the world. The Bible says that so, why wouldn't we believe it? But, Total Depravity also teaches that mankind is stuck in their sins and wouldn't WANT to repent or believe. So the fact that you want to Repent is a VERY good sign. Take a look at what Paul says in Ephesians 2:2-5:

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins, in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience, among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,
even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—.

So Paul has great news for you and all of God's children, I'm not just making up Total Depravity (Or any part of T.U.L.I.P for that matter) it's a fact of scripture. The Bible says from beginning to end that without God, we have no hope of salvation AT ALL. Like I said, just the fact that you even want to repent AT ALL, is a good thing. It's a sign that the Holy Spirit is convicting you and working in you.

But, you can't rush salvation, God saves you at just the right time he has prepared for you. I personally was convicted for almost a month before my on my knees Repentance and Coming to God. I also remember speaking to God for over 2 hours during my personal conversion. Not that this happens to everybody, just sharing my own personal story.

As for the people saying that Repentance is a work and you shouldn't do it. I wouldn't listen to those kinds of Christians honestly, they're the minority. A majority of Christians do believe that Repentance and Faith work together mainly because Jesus and Peter said it in Acts 2:38, Matthew 4:17, Mark 1:15 ...etc. Repentance and salvation go hand and hand. We are saved by faith alone in Christ alone but, a real God given faith will always have repentance and then later works.

Also, to your comment of all Christians are divided. That isn't necessarily due to Christianity being a false religion or there being multiple paths to salvation or anything it's due to human pride and arrogance. The Reformed Faith (or Calvinism) has been the primary Protestant Christian faith since Luther and Calvin in the 16th century until about the early 21st century when modernism started to become the primary Protestant faith. I became a Calvinist because I had actually read my Bible and when you are honest with yourself and with what the Bible says from Genesis to Revelation than you will see that it actually teaches Reformed Theology from beginning to end.

Reformed Theology is the Theology of the Apostles and in my opinion its the closest mankind is ever going to get to the actual 100% truth of scripture and what Jesus wanted the church to be. The church is also divided because no one Christian faith has every single answer to every single theology. My advice is start reading the Bible for yourself (Start in the Gospels and Paul's Letters) and let God speak to you through the Bible.

Also while Calvinists do believe that God decides salvation for humanity we also believe that that faith can and WILL come at ANY time in a persons life. Just because a sheep of God doesn't believe today doesn't mean that God will not help them tomorrow. I was an Atheist from birth until I was 27 years old. If you had asked me 10 years ago whether there was a God or whether Christians were fools for believing the Bible my answers would have been MUCH different than they are today.

I know you're in your infancy in understanding Christianity and maybe becoming a Christian but if you ever need help understanding how Calvinism works or just want a Christian to talk to about Christianity you can PM me anytime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

STommy

Oct 12, 2020
Jackson
✟13,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi! I figured it would be best to get an honest reply from a Calvinist. Than to get a bunch of "comforting" replies from other Christians who either have a biased or "incorrect" if you will view of Calvinism. Yes, It's true that we believe that God chose people for Heaven and God chose people for Hell and that God's sheep were predestined by God from before the foundation of the world. The Bible says that so, why wouldn't we believe it? But, Total Depravity also teaches that mankind is stuck in their sins and wouldn't WANT to repent or believe. So the fact that you want to Repent is a VERY good sign. Take a look at what Paul says in Ephesians 2:2-5:

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins, in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience, among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us,
even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—.

So Paul has great news for you and all of God's children, I'm not just making up Total Depravity (Or any part of T.U.L.I.P for that matter) it's a fact of scripture. The Bible says from beginning to end that without God, we have no hope of salvation AT ALL. Like I said, just the fact that you even want to repent AT ALL, is a good thing. It's a sign that the Holy Spirit is convicting you and working in you.

But, you can't rush salvation, God saves you at just the right time he has prepared for you. I personally was convicted for almost a month before my on my knees Repentance and Coming to God. I also remember speaking to God for over 2 hours during my personal conversion. Not that this happens to everybody, just sharing my own personal story.

As for the people saying that Repentance is a work and you shouldn't do it. I wouldn't listen to those kinds of Christians honestly, they're the minority. A majority of Christians do believe that Repentance and Faith work together mainly because Jesus and Peter said it in Acts 2:38, Matthew 4:17, Mark 1:15 ...etc. Repentance and salvation go hand and hand. We are saved by faith alone in Christ alone but, a real God given faith will always have repentance and then later works.

Also, to your comment of all Christians are divided. That isn't necessarily due to Christianity being a false religion or there being multiple paths to salvation or anything it's due to human pride and arrogance. The Reformed Faith (or Calvinism) has been the primary Protestant Christian faith since Luther and Calvin in the 16th century until about the early 21st century when modernism started to become the primary Protestant faith. I became a Calvinist because I had actually read my Bible and when you are honest with yourself and with what the Bible says from Genesis to Revelation than you will see that it actually teaches Reformed Theology from beginning to end.

Reformed Theology is the Theology of the Apostles and in my opinion its the closest mankind is ever going to get to the actual 100% truth of scripture and what Jesus wanted the church to be. The church is also divided because no one Christian faith has every single answer to every single theology. My advice is start reading the Bible for yourself (Start in the Gospels and Paul's Letters) and let God speak to you through the Bible.

Also while Calvinists do believe that God decides salvation for humanity we also believe that that faith can and WILL come at ANY time in a persons life. Just because a sheep of God doesn't believe today doesn't mean that God will not help them tomorrow. I was an Atheist from birth until I was 27 years old. If you had asked me 10 years ago whether there was a God or whether Christians were fools for believing the Bible my answers would have been MUCH different than they are today.

I know you're in your infancy in understanding Christianity and maybe becoming a Christian but if you ever need help understanding how Calvinism works or just want a Christian to talk to about Christianity you can PM me anytime.

I guess I want to ask, how can I be sure I am genuine? How can I know if I truly desire Christ and truly desire to turn from sin? I thought I was a christian at one point but I was deceiving myself. I was still living in sin sadly and desired my own path more than anything. The Bible has multiple passages that say "call on the name of the Lord and you will be saved," or "seek the Lord and you will find him." Do you believe these scriptures to be true and that the ball is now in my court? Do you believe that God "is drawing all men to himself?" Because I have heard some argue that "all" doesn't really mean all.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I guess I want to ask, how can I be sure I am genuine? How can I know if I truly desire Christ and truly desire to turn from sin? I thought I was a christian at one point but I was deceiving myself. I was still living in sin sadly and desired my own path more than anything. The Bible has multiple passages that say "call on the name of the Lord and you will be saved," or "seek the Lord and you will find him." Do you believe these scriptures to be true and that the ball is now in my court? Do you believe that God "is drawing all men to himself?" Because I have heard some argue that "all" doesn't really mean all.

Yes. Umm I can explain it this way. Are you married? If you're not think of something else special in your life like a graduation or something. The day you met your wife (or graduat3d) was it at just the right the right time or was it a random chance?

It was at just the right moment right? You meet you fall in love and you talk to her. That is a gift from God. The same goes with salvation. God has a day planned for your salvation just like he has a day planned for you to die or graduate, or really everything.

When we come to Christ for salvation its a day fully known and fully planned by God. We do come to Christ and repent but God changes our hearts. Thats the doctrine of Total Depravity while it is us repenting God is enabling that repentance and regenerating your heart. There are several ways to know you are saved. You could look at your life, if there is fruit in your life and you are not the same person as you were before than you are saved, the Holy Spirit tells us all the time that we are children of God thats another signor, our old sin nature is gone (it was crucified with Christ) and everytime we sin against God we feel guilty and want to deal with our sin on our own sometimes but the Holy Spirit (or sometimes other Christians) will remind us of what Christ did for us on the cross. NEVER listen to ANY preacher or person or the devil that says to you that if you are in Christ not all of your sins are forgiven. If you are truly in Christ ALL of your sins are forgiven past,present, and future.

We cannot see the future but God can, he knows the day he has planned for his children. So don't automatically say "God chose me for hell" because you never know the future. There are many deathbed confessions. Some false but many genuine.

When you do come to God, you come to God with your full heart because the Holy Spirit is guiding your heart and telling you the things to say. Your coming to God before sounds like it wasn't genuine. Especially 8f you sinned and didn't regret it. If you regretted it, that's another sign that the Holy Spirit is working in you. Look at the world around you. Do they regret their sins? No. They sin without caring or remorse. If you sign against God and have remorse in your heart thats definitely a sign that you aren't of the world.

I do believe the Holy Spirit is working in you in some way. If you want to repent to God that's great! If you're not already saved (I dont know your previous experiences with Christ.) You will be. God has a day chosen for all his sheep and he will not lose even one of them (John 6:37-40)

The glory of the reformed faith (and all Protestants for that matter) is that we go by scripture alone. We don't follow the pope or the church or anyone else. What you believe should be backed up by scripture. If its not, than its not a belief you should have.

Last edited:
Reactions: STommy
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is a question I have for my own personal salvation honestly. I have been trying to figure out how I can be saved but a big wrench in my searching is the whole "Calvinistic doctrine" as people call it. These Calvinists argue that I can't save myself, which I believe is true.
And the Bible agrees with this. In fact, the sole reason Jesus Christ, God's Son, came to earth and paid the entire sin penalty for everyone. So they could be saved on the basis of faith in Him.

But they say that I am predestined to either hell or heaven. Predestined to continue in sin or to repent and believe in Christ for my salvation. They basically teach that I have no free will but I am still responsible for if I go to hell or not.
And this is where the Calvinists go way off the rail. There is no such teaching in Scripture.

I am hopelessly confused by these teachings (predestination, free will, salvation.)
That's what Calvinism does. They are very confused.

I thought salvation was supposed to be simple but honestly it seems like most people who call themselves Christians can't even agree on how salvation works.
The reason for such disagreement is Satan. He prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

I've seen constant arguing between Calvinists and others and now it has confused me, an unbeliever, to the point where I don't know what to do for salvation.
If you are familiar with the Bible, what is there that you don't yet believe?

Do I repent and believe?
Great question. Actually, a jailer from Philippi asked that question to Paul the apostle.

Acts 16:30-31
30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

It is really that simple. When Paul said, "believe in the Lord Jesus", he meant trust in what Jesus Christ did for YOU personally on the cross. He paid YOUR sin debt completely. But that doesn't save you. You must trust that His work on your behalf does save you. This is why you can't save yourself. You, and everyone else in humanity needs a Savior. And Jesus Christ IS that Savior. Him alone.

Do I just hope that I have been predestined to be saved? Do I just ask God to save me?
Nope, and nope.

And I'm afraid that no matter what I do I will be seeking salvation the wrong way.
The only way to know for sure how to be saved and have eternal life is what the Bible says.

Salvation:

Luke 8:12 "Those beside the road are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart, so that they will not believe and be saved.

Acts 4:12 "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

Acts 11:14 and he will speak words to you by which you will be saved, you and all your household.'

Acts 16:31 They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Rom 10:9, 10 9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

1 Cor 1:21 - For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Eph 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

2 Tim 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

1 Peter 1:5 who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.

2 Thess 2:13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

Eternal Life:

John 3:15-16 15 so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life. 16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

John 5:24 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 6:40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

John 6:47 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord

1 Tim 1:16 Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.

Gal 3:22 But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

1 John 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

I've heard people even say that trying to seek faith in Christ or trying to believe is a work.
Trust is not a work. It's a response to what Jesus did for YOU.

Or that I am placing my faith in my faith instead of Christ (if that makes sense even.)
It's a fairly common claim. Your action of trust doesn't save you. God saves those who believe.

1 Cor 1:21 - For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Very clear. It is God who saves, and He is pleased to save those who believe. So there is NO work involved in believing in Christ for your salvation.

Here's a good analogy. If you were drowning, and someone threw you a life preserver, do you think that you "saved yourself" by grabbing on? Of course not. You would give all credit to the one who threw you the life preserver.

You need to separate yourself from all Calvinists. They don't have any Scripture to back them up.

Do I just hope and beg God to save me?
Nope. Do what Paul told the jailer to do: believe on the Lord Jesus and you WILL BE saved.

If I am not elect then he won't do it anyway.
Calvinists wrongly think that election is to salvation, in spite of NO VERSES that say that. In fact, election is for service, not salvation. So you can ignore any statements about "the elect". It has no bearing on one's savlation.

If I am not predestined he won't save me. That is what I've heard from Calvinists at least.
Well, there you go. Ignore the Calvinists.

Ignore the Calvinists.

Oh, and, btw, ignore the Arminians as well. They'll try to convince you that you can lose your salvation, another totally unbiblical bit of nonsense.

Study the verses I've shared. They all tell you the same thing about how to have salvation and eternal life.

You'll never go wrong with knowing what the Bible says and believing what it says.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

RC Sproul answers the question the best:

The wonder of the Gospel!

upload_2020-11-5_10-39-36.png

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good Day,

RC Sproul answers the question the best:

The wonder of the Gospel!

View attachment 288013
There's just one intsy bitzy little problem with Sproul. He has absolutely zero verses that teach what he says.

In fact, Scripture is clear that "being saved" and "being born again" are equated, from Eph 2:5. iow, you cannot have one without the other. There are no verses that indicate that there are unsaved regenerated people, or saved unregenerated people running around.

And v.8 nails the issue. It says we are saved by grace THROUGH FAITH. So, it is obvious to those whose ears and eyes are open, that faith MUST BE PRESENT before one is saved/regenerated.

1 Cor 1:21 refutes Sproul's musings. It says that God is pleased to save those who believe.

Any Calvinist would have you believe that God is pleased to choose who will believe.

Again, there is NO Scripture that supports the Calvinist's claims about God causing anyone to believe.

• Winner
Reactions: Spiritual Jew
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Hi @STommy.

Sorry to hear about your struggle with coming to the lord, the positive to this is that the Holy spirit could be drawing you to God.

An it is confusing because the opponents of Reformed will tell you to believe in Jesus but they can't tell you how to believe in Jesus. I think this is because God is not approached like this, if he was then the Bible would be clearer about how to have faith to begin with. Salvation is by election and the benefits of that is if one doesn't choose their election,they cannot choose their apostasy either.

Hope that helps a little.

Upvote 0

STommy

Oct 12, 2020
Jackson
✟13,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi @STommy.

Sorry to hear about your struggle with coming to the lord, the positive to this is that the Holy spirit could be drawing you to God.

An it is confusing because the opponents of Reformed will tell you to believe in Jesus but they can't tell you how to believe in Jesus. I think this is because God is not approached like this, if he was then the Bible would be clearer about how to have faith to begin with. Salvation is by election and the benefits of that is if one doesn't choose their election,they cannot choose their apostasy either.

Hope that helps a little.

Well how do I believe in Christ? How do I know if I am actually elect and chosen by God or if I am just decieving myself?

Upvote 0

STommy

Oct 12, 2020
Jackson
✟13,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes. Umm I can explain it this way. Are you married? If you're not think of something else special in your life like a graduation or something. The day you met your wife (or graduat3d) was it at just the right the right time or was it a random chance?

It was at just the right moment right? You meet you fall in love and you talk to her. That is a gift from God. The same goes with salvation. God has a day planned for your salvation just like he has a day planned for you to die or graduate, or really everything.

When we come to Christ for salvation its a day fully known and fully planned by God. We do come to Christ and repent but God changes our hearts. Thats the doctrine of Total Depravity while it is us repenting God is enabling that repentance and regenerating your heart. There are several ways to know you are saved. You could look at your life, if there is fruit in your life and you are not the same person as you were before than you are saved, the Holy Spirit tells us all the time that we are children of God thats another signor, our old sin nature is gone (it was crucified with Christ) and everytime we sin against God we feel guilty and want to deal with our sin on our own sometimes but the Holy Spirit (or sometimes other Christians) will remind us of what Christ did for us on the cross. NEVER listen to ANY preacher or person or the devil that says to you that if you are in Christ not all of your sins are forgiven. If you are truly in Christ ALL of your sins are forgiven past,present, and future.

We cannot see the future but God can, he knows the day he has planned for his children. So don't automatically say "God chose me for hell" because you never know the future. There are many deathbed confessions. Some false but many genuine.

When you do come to God, you come to God with your full heart because the Holy Spirit is guiding your heart and telling you the things to say. Your coming to God before sounds like it wasn't genuine. Especially 8f you sinned and didn't regret it. If you regretted it, that's another sign that the Holy Spirit is working in you. Look at the world around you. Do they regret their sins? No. They sin without caring or remorse. If you sign against God and have remorse in your heart thats definitely a sign that you aren't of the world.

I do believe the Holy Spirit is working in you in some way. If you want to repent to God that's great! If you're not already saved (I dont know your previous experiences with Christ.) You will be. God has a day chosen for all his sheep and he will not lose even one of them (John 6:37-40)

The glory of the reformed faith (and all Protestants for that matter) is that we go by scripture alone. We don't follow the pope or the church or anyone else. What you believe should be backed up by scripture. If its not, than its not a belief you should have.

Well how do I believe in Christ? How do I know if I am actually elect and chosen by God or if I am just decieving myself?

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

STommy

Oct 12, 2020
Jackson
✟13,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Good Day, STommy

you will find this helpful- How Do I Know If I'm Elect? — Ask Ligonier

Let me ask do you believe?
Have you repented?
Do you desire Him, and see your self (broken) in need of Him?

In Him,

Bill

I don't believe in the sense that I have faith in Christ as my savior. I do believe the Bible is true. I have not repented. I desire sin and wickedness, but I don't want to desire it. But honestly it seems like God just is gonna leave me to die because I'm too far gone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe in the sense that I have faith in Christ as my savior. I do believe the Bible is true. I have not repented. I desire sin and wickedness, but I don't want to desire it. But honestly it seems like God just is gonna leave me to die because I'm too far gone.

I'll reply to you tomorrow i just got home from Surgery.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private

Well a couple good indicators of whether you are chosen by God is if you actually have faith in Christ. You turn from non-belief to trust in Christ, turn from freely sinning and be repulsed by it because you are now a new creature and are now being sanctified by God.

The lost do not have Christ as their saviour, the lost do not have the Holy spirit convict their conscience for sinning as to reconcile them to God.

Upvote 0

STommy

Oct 12, 2020
Jackson
✟13,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well a couple good indicators of whether you are chosen by God is if you actually have faith in Christ. You turn from non-belief to trust in Christ, turn from freely sinning and be repulsed by it because you are now a new creature and are now being sanctified by God.

The lost do not have Christ as their saviour, the lost do not have the Holy spirit convict their conscience for sinning as to reconcile them to God.

Well I guess I'm forever lost then if thats the case.... I don't have faith. I can't turn from sin. I have no savior as of this moment.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Well I guess I'm forever lost then if thats the case.... I don't have faith. I can't turn from sin. I have no savior as of this moment.

Well take heart Tommy things could change for the better. Perhaps prayer might help, it's the best thing I can think of at this moment and I am off for the night. I'll be around if you want to talk again.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.