✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
CDC: 90% of Americans consume too much salt

<< Most of the sodium that Americans consume does not come from table salt, but from packaged, processed foods and restaurant meals. >>

<< CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden says:
"The finding that 9 of 10 adults and children still consume too much salt is alarming." >>

Heading: << 'Need to reduce sodium in manufactured and restaurant foods' >>

<< "Reducing sodium in manufactured and restaurant foods will give consumers more choice and save lives." >>

Link
CDC: 90% of Americans consume too much salt

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I used soup as the main example in the OP, but the problem of excess salt is common to many products. Canned meat such as roast beef, pork or chicken have far too much salt in them, as well as products like vienna sausage. A can of chicken and dumplings easily contains a day's supply of salt. If you eat anything else on the same day you will probably get to 150% of the salt you should consume.

The best way that I have found is to fix rice and mix meat and/or soup with it. By making canned goods into a rice dish, it can be spread over two or three meals.
If you don't want a high salt meal, don't eat canned meat. That's pretty basic stuff. Cook your own chicken or whatever.

There's an argument to be made that the government's salt recommendation aren't based in any real science and that they may be recommending too little salt for most people. It's Time to End the War on Salt

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If you don't want a high salt meal, don't eat canned meat. That's pretty basic stuff. Cook your own chicken or whatever.

There's an argument to be made that the government's salt recommendation aren't based in any real science and that they may be recommending too little salt for most people. It's Time to End the War on Salt

I do far more cooking than most of the people I know.

Do you know more about the effect of salt than the Center for Disease Control?

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is extremely difficult for anyone to avoid salt in processed foods. Most people don't realize how difficult it is. I've seen a lot of health advice. Among the list of foods to stay away from if you're trying to cut down on salt: bread and peanut butter. Now think about that. Who would have thought that they add salt to bread? Or too much of it? Likewise, why does peanut butter need to have salt added to it.

All you have to do is take out a slice of bread and spread peanut butter on it, and already you're in trouble if you're trying to reduce your salt intake. There is not that much you can eat on a low salt diet.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It is extremely difficult for anyone to avoid salt in processed foods. Most people don't realize how difficult it is. I've seen a lot of health advice. Among the list of foods to stay away from if you're trying to cut down on salt: bread and peanut butter. Now think about that. Who would have thought that they add salt to bread? Or too much of it? Likewise, why does peanut butter need to have salt added to it.

All you have to do is take out a slice of bread and spread peanut butter on it, and already you're in trouble if you're trying to reduce your salt intake. There is not that much you can eat on a low salt diet.
They have salt because they're perishable and need to have salt in them so they don't go bad on the shelf. If you want tasteless, unsalted bread make your own. If you want tasteless peanut butter, again you can make your own.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They have salt because they're perishable and need to have salt in them so they don't go bad on the shelf. If you want tasteless, unsalted bread make your own. If you want tasteless peanut butter, again you can make your own.

I have eaten natural peanut butter, with no added ingredients, on many occasions. It tastes fine. The greatest reason that many people don't like it is that peanut oil accumulates on top. You have to stir the oil back in before eating it.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have eaten natural peanut butter, with no added ingredients, on many occasions. It tastes fine. The greatest reason that many people don't like it is that peanut oil accumulates on top. You have to stir the oil back in before eating it.
Different people have different tastes. Why do you want to regulate other people's tastes?

Upvote 0