Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Intrepid travelers have a tendency to gravitate toward heights. Mountaintops, skyscrapers, Ferris wheels — the higher the better. But traveling in the opposite direction, below the ground, can provide a whole new level of excitement. The following tunnels, mines, and even entire subterranean cities are hidden within the depths of the Earth, waiting to be explored. Read below (pun intended) for seven of the world’s most incredible underground landmarks.

Wieliczka Salt Mine – Poland

Underground chandelier and room filled with religious artifacts at Wieliczka Salt Mine in Poland
Photo credit: Jan Wlodarczyk/ Alamy Stock Photo

Descending 1,000 feet below ground, Poland’s Wieliczka Salt Mine dates back to medieval times. Named one of the original 12 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1978, the massive salt mine features a tiered underground network of tunnels and connecting rooms. It was operational from the 13th century, when salt was a highly valued commodity due to its ability to preserve food, all the way through the late 20th century.

During the height of salt mining, Wieliczka expanded into nine levels to accommodate the area’s Catholic miners who lived underground seasonally. As a result, subterranean salt chapels were installed so these devout workers could still practice their faith. Perhaps the most impressive of these is St. Kinga’s Chapel, located 330 feet underground and featuring a giant salt chandelier and elaborate salt sculptures. Today, visitors can not only tour the inoperative salt mine’s extensive tunnels and chapels but also attend mass on Sundays.

Kaymakli Underground City – Turkey

Continued below.