Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Do the Pentecostal Church have Sacramentals? Sacramentals are things set apart or bless by the Church. Sacramentals are used in the Roman Catholic Church. Does Blessed Oil/Water count as a Sacramentals?, how about the prayer's cloths used by Pentecostals ?
Do you mean sacraments?

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
No. "Sacramental" "are things (sacramentalia) set apart or blessed by the Catholic Church" Like Holy Water, etc.

Thanks guietbloke.
em nope, because if you read quietblokes post, you'll notice he refers to sacraments

The catholic church or the anglican church for that matter, do not have sacramentals, we use sacraments

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
em nope, because if you read quietblokes post, you'll notice he refers to sacraments

The catholic church or the anglican church for that matter, do not have sacramentals, we use sacraments

Sacramentals and sacraments aren't the same thing. The OP was asking specifically about sacramentals and I can assure you that the Catholic church does indeed have them. Holy water, making the sign of the cross, icons, prostrations, candles, incense, etc. are all examples of what sacramentals are. Sacraments are, of course, things such as the Eucharist, Baptism, Chrismation, Confession, Marriage, Holy Orders, and Unction.

To answer the OP, I'd have to say that Pentecostals don't refer to prayer cloths, annointing oil, and other things of a similar nature as sacramentals. They simply don't think that way and would probably be offended to have the Catholic connotation, just like they refuse to accept the terminology of sacrament to the exclusion of the word ordinance. I was raised Pentecostal and while being annointed with oil and having people lay hands on you to pray over you was important, it doesn't even approach the significance or meaning that it does in Orthodoxy or Catholicism.

Upvote 0

okieray

Dec 30, 2006
sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i attended a methodist church for a short time, it seemed that they replaced the holy spirit with their sacraments, the jews at one time took great store in sacraments. my self i don`t put much store into this work i`d rather feel the spirit

Upvote 0

Wigglesworth

Simple Chicken Farmer
Aug 21, 2004
Visit site
✟17,933.00
Faith
Charismatic
Pentecostals use sacramentals, but they don't call them that. The prayer cloth that Richard Roberts prays over and sends out in the mail is a sacramental.

Here's an explanation.

What, then, are sacramentals? Well, here is a short quiz. It differs from most quizzes because the answers follow:

1. What other word is "sacramental" like? (It is like "sacrament.")

2. What does the word "sacrament" mean? (It is a sign.)

3. What does the word "sacramental" mean? (It is a sign.)

4. Who gave us the sacraments? (Jesus.)

5. Who gave us the sacramentals? (The Church.)

6. What do both sacraments and sacramentals give? (They both give "grace.")

7. How do they give grace? (Sacraments give grace through the power of Jesus; sacramentals give grace through the prayers of the Church and the faith of the recipients.)

Sacramentals are sacred signs signifying spiritual effects obtained by the prayers of the Church (Canon 1166).

Shamon, Rev. Albert J.M., Our Lady Teaches About Sacramentals and Blessed Objects, www.cmjbooks.com, 1992.

Some sacramentals in the Catholic Church are the Rosary, the Sign of the Cross, and Holy Water.

Some sacramentals in the Pentecostal Church are the cross on the wall, the picture of Jesus in the church foyer, and the Bible.

:crossrc:

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Pentecostals,like all Evangelicals believe in two sacraments,or ordinances,instituted by Christ. We believe in Baptism in water,which follows conversion and outwardly symbolises the new life received after deciding to follow Christ.Matt.28:19 +Mk.6:15-16.

We also believe in Communion,which symbolises the giving of Christ's body and shedding of His blood,for our redemption. 1 Cor. 11: 23-28. Some Pentecostals believe in 'footwashing' following the Lord's Supper.

The requirements of Pentecostals for a sacrament or ordinance are:- By appointment of Christ.
As a visible sign or emblem.
Associated with an inward grace.

Matrimony is of course,an institution of God.

A sacramental is recognised in the Roman Catholic church,as something made holy,like 'holy water' or suchlike.

Pentecostals do not accept that the 'bread and wine are holy,or the annointing oil or other such things. They are emblems or symbols. The 'Bread',representing Christ's body,the 'Wine,'representing Christ's blood,the annonting oil,representing the Holy Spirit and His annointing. These items are not holy ,but symbols or emblems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ramon96

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Nov 4, 2006
NY, NY
Visit site
✟8,086.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sacramentals and sacraments aren't the same thing. The OP was asking specifically about sacramentals and I can assure you that the Catholic church does indeed have them. Holy water, making the sign of the cross, icons, prostrations, candles, incense, etc. are all examples of what sacramentals are. Sacraments are, of course, things such as the Eucharist, Baptism, Chrismation, Confession, Marriage, Holy Orders, and Unction.

To answer the OP, I'd have to say that Pentecostals don't refer to prayer cloths, annointing oil, and other things of a similar nature as sacramentals. They simply don't think that way and would probably be offended to have the Catholic connotation, just like they refuse to accept the terminology of sacrament to the exclusion of the word ordinance. I was raised Pentecostal and while being annointed with oil and having people lay hands on you to pray over you was important, it doesn't even approach the significance or meaning that it does in Orthodoxy or Catholicism.

In my Pentecostal Church, we call Baptism and Communion "Sacraments".

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would say that Pentecostals do not have sacramentals as they do not have sacraments, but they do have things that some may call sacramentals, such as anointing oil and prayer cloths.
Technically speaking these are not sacramentals because by definition a sacramental is something that leads from and to a sacrament. I have never heard of a Pentecostal church that genuinely believes that communion and baptism are sacraments.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.