Why is it difficult for people to understand the importance of weekly Communion?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for the additional information and clarification. For the sake of brevity I had omitted this. Without this knowledge, the heavy persecution of some Dissenters, especially Quakers, in the Massachusetts Colony is frequently understood as an irrational persecution of innocent people.

BTW, here's a link to the video I mentioned:

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Because many people are programmed from early age, being taught traditions of men by some churches and denominations. The flocks are deprived of the meat of God's word. It's always milk. Zechariah chapter 11 to document. Some people chase after misguided preachers. These preachers water down God's word. Isaiah chapter 30 to document. Thier not doers of the word, but hearers only. Thier biblically illiterate. Ephesians chapter 6 is neglected by some churches. You need gospel armour on to stand against antichrist lies and deception. The congregation doesn't have the latter rain. You need both the former rain and latter rain.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've had discussions about this with a local Congregationalist pastor. I told her I otherwise liked her church, but I would miss weekly communion, and I am in need of a new church home. She said in their tradition, monthly communion is the norm, and she's never heard of a UCC or Congregationalist church that practices weekly communion.

However, it seems strange to me that it isn't weekly, especially as they have changed so much of their other practices from the historical norms (the Revised Common Lectionary, commemoration of days such as Ash Wednesday, etc.). I have been doing research on contemporary philosophy, and I find it strange that people think sentimental hymns, preaching, and prayers are adequate expressions of Christianity, when three Gospels and Paul all have explicit narratives of the Lord's Supper, and Acts references "the breaking of bread" as something that happened often in the early Christian community. The whole point of the Incarnation is that salvation occurs within bodies, it was the heretics that denied that Jesus was a fleshly being that abstained from the sacraments in the early Church.

All I've heard traditionally are responses like "It wouldn't be special anymore" or "it is too much trouble". All answers that seem to me to be impious and regard the sacrament as more of a formality. I know even John Calvin argued for weekly communion, but the Genevan elders overruled him.
Are you taking about MATT 26:28 --29 ?

Or are you speaking about 1 Cor 11:23-31 ?

dan p

Upvote 0