Aug 27, 2014
✟430,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
So they have other types of scandals, then. Still doesn't answer my question.

Should we assume you're a disestablishmentarian*, then? I suppose that's a position someone could take if they can't stand 'nanodust scandals', but I can't foresee Russia becoming like Canada or another Western nation in this regard, and their last attempt to rid themselves of the ROC took a long time and still ended really badly, in all senses.

(* I knew if I stayed on the internet long enough, I"d eventually get to use that word. I can die happy now. Goodbye, all.)

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

StanU

Jun 10, 2019
Toronto
✟16,907.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Should we assume you're a disestablishmentarian*, then? I suppose that's a position someone could take if they can't stand 'nanodust scandals', but I can't foresee Russia becoming like Canada or another Western nation in this regard, and their last attempt to rid themselves of the ROC took a long time and still ended really badly, in all senses.

(* I knew if I stayed on the internet long enough, I"d eventually get to use that word. I can die happy now. Goodbye, all.)
Reminder: Russian Federation has a secular Constitution, with separation of Church and State. Kirill's privileges may not be the worst example of how Russians wipe their behinds with their Constitution; doesn't make it acceptable.
Also, how making a Patriarch the high official of the Family (with Courts bending over backwards to serve his whims - in this case, to steal an apartment from a dying fellow clergyman on BS pretext) helps the ROC, in general?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

One day I hope to use the word "antidisestablishmentarianismistically" in a meaningful way.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Reminder: Russian Federation has a secular Constitution, with separation of Church and State.

Indeed it does, but you are arguing that the Church is an arm of the government anyhow, so...

Kirill's privileges may not be the worst example of how Russians wipe their behinds with their Constitution; doesn't make it acceptable.

Are you going to fly over from Canada and tell them what they should do instead? Maybe on the plane over you can develop some ideas that you aren't sharing in the thread...

Also, how making a Patriarch the high official of the Family (with Courts bending over backwards to serve his whims - in this case, to steal an apartment from a dying fellow clergyman on BS pretext) helps the ROC, in general?

Does everything have to help the ROC in general before it can be justified? Is that why they photoshoped out the watch in your other example -- it didn't benefit all Russian Orthodox everywhere for the Patriarch to have a watch, so let's get rid of it?

I dunno...I prefer a world where I don't have to hear about everything that a leader does, be they secular or religious...but then I am living in the United States of Donald Trump's Twitter Account, so I'll openly admit to being cynical and biased by this point.

Upvote 0

StanU

Jun 10, 2019
Toronto
✟16,907.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeed it does, but you are arguing that the Church is an arm of the government anyhow, so...
Are you going to fly over from Canada and tell them what they should do instead? Maybe on the plane over you can develop some ideas that you aren't sharing in the thread...
They can release all the hostages they keep, starting with 24 Ukrainian POW saylors from Navy boats Russia illegally attacked, and in general stop torture and kill people. Then they can retreat into their own borders and stop meddling in neighbours' affairs. After that, I don't care what they do with\to each other, I really don't.

Does everything have to help the ROC in general before it can be justified? Is that why they photoshoped out the watch in your other example -- it didn't benefit all Russian Orthodox everywhere for the Patriarch to have a watch, so let's get rid of it?
Some of their speakers explained that no, actually, it's important for their monastic leader to have a watch worth 6x annual income on his wrist, along with luxury cars, yachts, planes, and impressive security. That way, the country's elites know to "take the bishops seriously". One can argue that I suppose...

Reactions: Zummi
Upvote 0