Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sure, when the USSC overturns a 50 year old decision, people are going to protest. I think it's the first time in the court's history where rights are being taken away...and it may not be the last. There are going to be a lot of protest for years to come...
The right to own slaves was taken away after first being affirmed in the Dred Scott case.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The right to own slaves was taken away after first being affirmed in the Dred Scott case.
Yes...what was then considered a "sacred constitutional right" was no right at all. Much like abortion. Honestly, I pity the pro-choice crowd. Because they are the real victims in all of this. They only believe what so many people for so many years told them to believe. They were just hit with the wrecking ball of reality and are still dealing with the shock of it all. Truly, I feel bad for them.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But was it actually defined as such? I don't think it was.
Doesn't matter how it was defined. That is what was believed by the lawmakers and the supreme court justices at that time. Much like how people wrongfully believed there was a constitutional right to an abortion. There isn't. Neither is their a constitutional right to birth control or gay marriage either.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Was that considered a right?
Constitutionally approved by the Dred Scott decision. Scott was property and a Southern Man could do as he pleased with his property. Even take him to Minnesota. Stare decisis and all. Some decisions need to be invalidated. It actually took the 13th amendment to the constitution to do that.

• Winner
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The politics of " or else we will be outraged" is not as generally persuasive as "Here is an irrefutable argument for our POV".

Persuasion left the building a long time ago. That's not what protesting is about. You can't reason people out of a position they were not reasoned into. Appeals to civil discourse are just insincere in light of that.

Protesting is part of finding ones own power, for oneself and others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Gavin Newsome as some sort of expert on men? Funny.

And your right to abortion has evaporated in the USA outside of pockets controlled by folks like Gavin Newsome.

Those state's aren't exactly anything to be cheering about. Nobody is moving in significant numbers to places like Mississiippi or Kentucky, and nobody moves to Texas without some serious financial compensation (and companies that have moved there have generally had to make promises that they'll pay for abortion-related travel expenses to employees to retain their talent).

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Those state's aren't exactly anything to be cheering about. Nobody is moving in significant numbers to places like Mississiippi or Kentucky, and nobody moves to Texas without some serious financial compensation (and companies that have moved there have generally had to make promises that they'll pay for abortion-related travel expenses to employees to retain their talent).
People are fleeing California. We’d like to send them all back but we do have obligations to refugees.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't matter how it was defined. That is what was believed by the lawmakers and the supreme court justices at that time. Much like how people wrongfully believed there was a constitutional right to an abortion. There isn't. Neither is their a constitutional right to birth control or gay marriage either.

Are there Ruling where they called it such? I'm looking at some historians but so far they are only discussing the constitution and how it did little to define or codify slavery.
What the Constitution Really Says About Race and Slavery

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Constitutionally approved by the Dred Scott decision. Scott was property and a Southern Man could do as he pleased with his property. Even take him to Minnesota. Stare decisis and all. Some decisions need to be invalidated. It actually took the 13th amendment to the constitution to do that.
From what I am reading, Dred Scott did not confirm a right to own slaves but that African Americans, free or slave, did not have a right to citizenship.

Dred Scott v. Sandford - Wikipedia

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Are you denying slavery now?
No. I'm asking if owning slaves was ever actually considered a right. I'm not finding any confirmation so far that it was. It certainly was not considered such in the northern states.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From what I am reading, Dred Scott did not confirm a right to own slaves but that African Americans, free or slave, did not have a right to citizenship.

Dred Scott v. Sandford - Wikipedia
Not only did they not have citizenship. They were property. At least those born into being property unless their owners freed them.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No. I'm asking if owning slaves was ever actually considered a right. I'm not finding any confirmation so far that it was. It certainly was not considered such in the northern states.
Ask any Southern Gentleman whether he had a right to his slaves. After all they fought a war to maintain that right.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Not only did they not have citizenship. They were property. At least those born into being property unless their owners freed them.

Yes, but that was not a part of the Dred Scott decision. That decision simply stated that they were not citizens and as such going to a "free" state did not free them. I would assume that their being slaves was already settled law and not included because of that.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Ask any Southern Gentleman whether he had a right to his slaves. After all they fought a war to maintain that right.
They fought a war to preserve states rights. That does not mean they voted owning slaves as a right. It does not mean they did but either. I'm looking for hard data but nothing so far.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Contrary to the lies you have been told, abortion was never a constitutional right. I know you may have heard people talk about the 14th amendment and the "right to privacy" garbage. If there was any truth to any of it, you'd think there wouldn't be a better place and at a better time to bring it up than in the dissenting arguments. Ironically, the best argument for repealing Roe is found in thr dissenting arguments. Because there is no mention of any anything remotely constitutional. Just 66 pages of "We like abortions. Therefore Roe should stand." Why? Because even the justices knew it was complete and utter BS to twist the truth. YOU HAVE NO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO AN ABORTION. THEREFORE, THE SUPREME COURT NEVER TAKEN ANY RIGHTS AWAY FROM ANYONE.

By the way, this is not the first time the Supreme Court removed a "right". Because at one time, people had what was considered "a constitutional right" to own slaves as property. Obviously, like roe v wade, they were wrong and made appropriate changes.

Thank you for your opinion.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0