US-Others

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I almost wish you hadn't found out that it's false, just so I could have seen all of the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ake mushrooms hit the fan. Reading 5 pages of "your god is not alive!" "Christians are evil" etc., would have been worth it if at the end we could have told them that they were harping about a faked report.

Ah well. :p

Upvote 0

Vastavus

Man is free at the moment he wishes to be
Jan 12, 2005
South Eastern Michigan
✟9,259.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lol, I think you were right. Here is the snopes article.

Origins: Good satire neatly straddles the divide between the believable and the incredible, and the Dateline Hollywood article quoted above achieved that balance so well that many readers mistook it for a straight news article. This acceptance was due in large part to U.S. evangelist Pat Robertson's history of making rather outrageous public statements on his 700 Club television program, including his recent call for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo rnum=Math.round(Math.random() * 100000);document.write(''); Chavez.

The satirical premise expressed in the original piece, that Mr. Robertson might make a connection between homosexuality and hurricanes, doesn't even require stretching the truth. During a 6 August 1998 broadcast of The 700 Club, Mr. Robertson addressed comments at participants of the Orlando, Florida, Gay Pride Festival, stating: "I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."

Those not quite convinced that the Dateline Hollywood article really was intended as satire are invited to read that web publication's explanation of their history, starting with their founding in 360 BC as Gladiators Weekly.

Last updated: 12 September 2005

It is rather sad that an article like that is believable.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Adiya said:
I almost wish you hadn't found out that it's false, just so I could have seen all of the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ake mushrooms hit the fan. Reading 5 pages of "your god is not alive!" "Christians are evil" etc., would have been worth it if at the end we could have told them that they were harping about a faked report.

Ah well. :p

I've never seen something like this.

Persecution complex, much?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

outlaw

the frugal revolutionary
Aug 22, 2005
✟4,376.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is satire. (had some difficulty finding out that it was…I guess Pat making bizarre announcement endorsing hate and murder and bits of nonsense have sort of affected everyone.

But as http://www.snopes.com/politics/katrina/robertson.asp notes Robertson has made similar claims in the past:

“During a 6 August 1998 broadcast of The 700 Club, Mr. Robertson addressed comments at participants of the Orlando, Florida, Gay Pride Festival, stating: "I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you."”

Upvote 0

El Brujo

May 20, 2005
South Texas
Visit site
✟439.00
Faith
Atheist
gilda.jpg

Never mind

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
thirstforknowledge said:
This is urban legend. Check scopes.
Darn! I was almost ready to take it at face value considering the number of insane things that this guy has said over the years. A quick visit to scopes and Dateline Hollywood's About Us link convinced me of the article's satirical intent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Adiya said:
:yawn: Tired argument.

It was not an argument, but rather a question. What are you even talking about?

Most people here wouldn't say that Christians are evil. Most likely what you would see, is people showing how Christians have extreme cases of their religion, like Muslims, and how it isn't fair to judge an entire religion on some people.

But I guess it's easier to see persecution everywhere.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you really want to hear Robertson say something exceptionally controversial just start watching the 700 club. It used to be only once a week or so that he would say something that would make me say, "wait, did he just say that" but recently it has been much more frequent.

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
Vastavus said:
http://datelinehollywood.com/archives/2005/09/05/robertson-blames-hurricane-on-choice-of-ellen-deneres-to-host-emmys/

This man has mental problems. What a moron. If I was still Christian, I would be embarassed beyond words at his actions. With people like this at the helm, it is no wonder that Christianity will be a minority view in the US within a few decades.

How long do you think they will wait before he is taken off the air?
And yet, if he had said that it's President Bush's fault, you'd think he was a genius.

Upvote 0

Spinrad

Apr 19, 2005
✟20,370.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Vastavus said:
http://datelinehollywood.com/archives/2005/09/05/robertson-blames-hurricane-on-choice-of-ellen-deneres-to-host-emmys/

This man has mental problems. What a moron. If I was still Christian, I would be embarassed beyond words at his actions. With people like this at the helm, it is no wonder that Christianity will be a minority view in the US within a few decades.

How long do you think they will wait before he is taken off the air?

Awesome. I too blame it on her, because it's is a hilarious idea and appeals to my sense of the absurd.

Upvote 0