RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel says that 2024 GOP presidential candidates will have to pledge loyalty to the eventual nominee

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Republican Party plans to ask 2024 presidential candidates to pledge support for the eventual nominee, Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said on Sunday, espousing an idea so far not embraced by former President Donald Trump.

Candidates who do not sign the pledge will not be allowed to participate in party-sponsored debates during the state-by-state presidential nominating contests, McDaniel said.

Trump did not immediately react publicly to her comments but a campaign spokesperson told Reuters, "President Trump will support the Republican nominee because it will be him."

---

I wonder if this has any teeth. I mean, if Trump loses the primary and doesn't lift a finger to help the nominee, what can they do to him? He's not likely to run in 2028 I think.

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it might be interesting to see how this plays out. I could see Trump refusing to agree, then hosting his own event -- even inviting his opponents for a debate -- that is the same time as the Republican debate.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

The RNC chose Fox for first debate - August in Milwaukee

On Wednesday, the committee announced that Fox News would host the first event, which is slated to be held in Milwaukee in August.

Another wrinkle is that debate participants will be required to pledge their support for whoever wins the party’s nomination. Trump has refused to do so in the current race, though he did end up saying he would support the eventual nominee during the 2016 contest. It could also prove tricky for former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a prospective Trump rival who has said he will never support Trump again, even if he wins the nomination.

“Why would we host a debate stage without every candidate saying, ‘I’m going to support whoever the voters choose’?” McDaniel said during a Wednesday morning appearance on Fox News, where she announced that the network would be hosting the first debate. “It’s about beating Joe Biden, it’s about beating what’s happening with this country right now, and we can only do that united, so we want every candidate to pledge that heading into this process.”

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

The RNC chose Fox for first debate - August in Milwaukee

“Why would we host a debate stage without every candidate saying, ‘I’m going to support whoever the voters choose’?” McDaniel said during a Wednesday morning appearance on Fox News

Here we are a month away, and it looks like only three candidates have indicated they will sign the pledge.

Pence, Haley and Scott have all publicly indicated they will sign the support pledge, but not all have agreed.

Christie, Hutchinson and Hurd — who have all spoken out against Trump in the course of their campaigns — have promised they will not sign,

As for Trump, it looks like he will be counterprogramming against the debate.

First GOP Debate Shaping Up to Be an Embarrassing Fiasco

the frontrunner is threatening to counter-program it, and perhaps a majority of the rest of the field, even some with gold-caliber resumes, may not qualify for a spot on stage under the RNC’s rules.

It is, to be clear, a potential disaster of the party’s own making, one that could further seal its fate as only the nominal enforcers of the Republican brand. Former President Donald Trump’s hostile takeover will be studied for years to come, and the consequences of his talent to vanquish decades of GOP identity is yet to be fully understood.

Instead of debating runt rivals, Trump is suggesting he may stage counter-programming of sorts. It’s a threat not to be taken as bluster necessarily. He’s done it before. In early 2016, just before the Iowa caucuses, Trump escalated his feud with Fox and instead put together an event that he claimed was a charity event.

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

First GOP Debate Shaping Up to Be an Embarrassing Fiasco

Instead of debating runt rivals, Trump is suggesting he may stage counter-programming of sorts. It’s a threat not to be taken as bluster necessarily. He’s done it before. In early 2016, just before the Iowa caucuses, Trump escalated his feud with Fox and instead put together an event that he claimed was a charity event.

RNC head issues warning to Trump about ducking debates as advisers say pressure could backfire

At issue is Trump's hinting that he won't appear on the Fox News-hosted event in August... That, in turn, has led prominent Fox News personalities to urge him on-air to show up over fears that a Trump-less debate will be a ratings flop for the network.

[But most of the pressure has come from RNC Chair Ronna McDaneiel.] McDaniel, in particular, has argued to Trump that the other candidates will be talking about him, so he should be there to respond."

'I bet you think this debate is about you.'

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Republican Party plans to ask 2024 presidential candidates to pledge support for the eventual nominee, Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said on Sunday, espousing an idea so far not embraced by former President Donald Trump.

Candidates who do not sign the pledge will not be allowed to participate in party-sponsored debates during the state-by-state presidential nominating contests, McDaniel said.

Trump did not immediately react publicly to her comments but a campaign spokesperson told Reuters, "President Trump will support the Republican nominee because it will be him."

---

I wonder if this has any teeth. I mean, if Trump loses the primary and doesn't lift a finger to help the nominee, what can they do to him? He's not likely to run in 2028 I think.
Big Smiles!

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

RNC head issues warning to Trump about ducking debates as advisers say pressure could backfire

At issue is Trump's hinting that he won't appear on the Fox News-hosted event in August... That, in turn, has led prominent Fox News personalities to urge him on-air to show up over fears that a Trump-less debate will be a ratings flop for the network.

[But most of the pressure has come from RNC Chair Ronna McDaneiel.] McDaniel, in particular, has argued to Trump that the other candidates will be talking about him, so he should be there to respond."

'I bet you think this debate is about you.'
According to the (Washington Post) tabloids are a more reliable source

False! I watched the Newsmax interview, no "Warning" was given

She stated Trumps advisors recommended he shouldnt participate in debates, it's not necessary because he's currently sitting at (#1) 54% favorite, with (#2) DeSantis is at 17%

(There's No Need To Debate With The Losers)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
False! I watched the Newsmax interview, no "Warning" was given
The article is not about a Newsmax interview, it is about a private meeting at Trump's Bedminster club.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That, in turn, has led prominent Fox News personalities to urge him on-air to show up over fears that a Trump-less debate will be a ratings flop for the network.​

I think Fox New's biggest concern is that Trump will hold a Town Hall or debate on a competing channel.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

---

Trump once took an oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect him to keep his word regarding anything at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The good people (and bots) of GETTR don't want Trump to join the Republican Party's official debate. Several of them (including Steve Bannon) say it'll be rigged.

He does not need to do it! He don’t need to! It is rigged just like with Chris Wallace only this time will be much worse.

Tucker should have a one on one with President Trump on the very same time-slot as the rigged FOX debates

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I believe Pence is the latest to reach the donor threshhold. Although some candidates have indicated their willingness to take the pledge in the OP, it seems none have formally done so.
(Unless Fox News is spreading inaccurate information, and what are the odds of that?)

1691528234822.png

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
  • Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Trump Blasts Fox After Report About Skipping Debate: ‘Purposely Show the Worst Pictures of Me, Especially the Big ‘Orange’ One’

“Why doesn’t Fox and Friends show all of the Polls where I am beating Biden, by a lot. They just won’t do it!” complained the miffed Trump on Truth Social. “Also, they purposely show the absolutely worst pictures of me, especially the big ‘orange’ one with my chin pulled way back. They think they are getting away with something, they’re not. Just like 2016 all over again…And then they want me to debate!”

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

RNC signs first candidate for debate with pledge to support nominee

By signing the pledge, Vivek Ramaswamy became the first candidate to formally qualify for the debate in Milwaukee on Aug. 23​

We're up to 5 now.

Five Republican presidential candidates have so far qualified to participate in next week’s debate, meaning they have met the unique donor threshold, polled well enough in qualifying surveys and signed the pledge to support the party’s eventual nominee.

They include Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, former South Carolina governor and US ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum and South Carolina Senator Tim Scott.

I forget who was using a moldy peach or something as a place holder in the rankings, but I think Haley, Burgum and Scott beat the moldy peach.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟439,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As of now, Trump is opting not to debate.....and apparently sticking it to the RNC and Fox News by granting an interview to Tucker Carlson. Grab the popcorn. :clap:

"Former President Donald J. Trump plans to upstage the first Republican primary debate on Wednesday by sitting for an online interview with the former Fox News host Tucker Carlson, according to multiple people briefed on the matter.

In the past 24 hours, Mr. Trump has told people close to him that he has made up his mind and will skip the debate in Milwaukee, according to two of the people briefed on the matter."

Upvote 0