louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know I'm not righteous. But the problem is I don't think I ever will be. I Iived/live a terrible sinful life. Looking back on all my sins I feel disgusted with myself. I feel like I could have done better. I'm so confused with being on the right path. I think it's too late for me. I think I'm going to hell . There's no justification. (Wisdom is justified by her deeds) I want to be a true Christian. Nah I just want to be real.. i don't want to be a hypocrite....the fire is there. I know I love the Lord. I just don't know who I am anymore.. or how to be righteous...and live for the Lord...i have the fire in me though...the passion to live for the Lord is there..i read my bible sometimes though some of the stuff in there is too much for me to comprehend. And I forget a lot. I don't pray much. I never really lived that Christian lifestyle. You know. But I always claimed that I love God. Though my actions never really showed it....and I guess I'm starting to wake up and see that I'm not living right. I guess my question is how does one become righteous or live truly for the Lord?

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I know I'm not righteous. But the problem is I don't think I ever will be. I Iived/live a terrible sinful life. Looking back on all my sins I feel disgusted with myself. I feel like I could have done better. I'm so confused with being on the right path. I think it's too late for me. I think I'm going to hell . There's no justification. (Wisdom is justified by her deeds) I want to be a true Christian. Nah I just want to be real.. i don't want to be a hypocrite....the fire is there. I know I love the Lord. I just don't know who I am anymore.. or how to be righteous...and live for the Lord...i have the fire in me though...the passion to live for the Lord is there..i read my bible sometimes though some of the stuff in there is too much for me to comprehend. And I forget a lot. I don't pray much. I never really lived that Christian lifestyle. You know. But I always claimed that I love God. Though my actions never really showed it....and I guess I'm starting to wake up and see that I'm not living right. I guess my question is how does one become righteous or live truly for the Lord?

Hello,

I think every one of us could say that we could have done better, however, even if you had done much better, it wouldn't make a difference in regard to being righteous because we do not become righteous by our works, but by our faith, and by the same faith we are led to do what is righteous. Understanding the depths of our sin only goes to show how great God's love is in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Everything in the Bible is there to teach us about God and about how to have a relationship with Him and it is never too late to repent and start praying more and to start growing in a relationship with Him based on faith and love. The point of pointing out our sin is to lead us to repent, not to highlight our failures. I think a key element of hypocrisy in insincerity, where we apply a different standard to ourselves than we do to others, so I would not consider someone who knows what is right, but struggles to do so to be a hypocrite. It is not up to us to perfect our actions, but rather it is God who supplies the perfection while we need to have faith in Him to guide us in how to rightly live.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I think every one of us could say that we could have done better, however, even if you had done much better, it wouldn't make a difference in regard to being righteous because we do not become righteous by our works, but by our faith, and by the same faith we are led to do what is righteous. Understanding the depths of our sin only goes to show how great God's love is in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Everything in the Bible is there to teach us about God and about how to have a relationship with Him and it is never too late to repent and start praying more and to start growing in a relationship with Him based on faith and love. The point of pointing out our sin is to lead us to repent, not to highlight our failures. I think a key element of hypocrisy in insincerity, where we apply a different standard to ourselves than we do to others, so I would not consider someone who knows what is right, but struggles to do so to be a hypocrite. It is not up to us to perfect our actions, but rather it is God who supplies the perfection while we need to have faith in Him to guide us in how to rightly live.
Ok....thanks I understand now...

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sin is the transgression of the law 1john 3:4

Therefore if you observe the law you do not commit sin, if you fail to observe the law you do commit sin:

Therefore NO ONE will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law/ not committing sin. Rather through the law we become conscious of sin
But now a righteousness APART from law has been made known, to which the law and prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe
Rom3:20-22

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Check this out, The Heidelberg Catechism:

59. Q.
But what does it help you
now that you believe all this?

A.
In Christ I am righteous before God
and heir to life everlasting. 1
60. Q.
How are you righteous before God?
A.
Only by true faith in Jesus Christ. 1
Although my conscience accuses me
that I have grievously sinned
against all God's commandments,
have never kept any of them, 2
and am still inclined to all evil, 3
yet God, without any merit of my own, 4
out of mere grace, 5
imputes to me
the perfect satisfaction,
righteousness, and holiness of Christ. 6
He grants these to me
as if I had never had nor committed
any sin,
and as if I myself had accomplished
all the obedience
which Christ has rendered for me, 7
if only I accept this gift
with a believing heart. 8
61. Q.
Why do you say
that you are righteous
only by faith?

A.
Not that I am acceptable to God
on account of the worthiness
of my faith,
for only the satisfaction, righteousness,
and holiness of Christ
is my righteousness before God. 1
I can receive this righteousness
and make it my own
by faith only. 2

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So are you guys saying I just have to believe and have faith in God?
You have to realise you cannot be righteous by not committing sin. In God's sight, your righteousness is faith in his Son.
The human mind finds that hard to accept, for that mind us conditioned to believe you get what you deserve, you get what you strive for. But Gods ways are much higher than ours, and so are his thoughts.
Paul preached an amazing message, the greatest message preached in my view since Christ walked this earth:

Die to believing you are righteous before God by not committing sin, believe your righteousness is faith in Christ and sin shall not be your master.
It works! Try it

Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So are you guys saying I just have to believe and have faith in God?

Abraham believed God and it was credited to Him as righteousness (Genesis 15:6), but it would also be accurate to say that Abraham believed God, so he practiced obedience to His commands. If we have faith in God to guide us on how to rightly live, then we will obey His commands, and faith without works is dead (James 2:17). However, it is not the works themselves that saves us, but our faith that leads to works is what saves us. Faith is how we grow in a relationship with God and the point of obeying God's commands is not earn our salvation, but to grow in a relationship with God.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abraham believed God and it was credited to Him as righteousness (Genesis 15:6), but it would also be accurate to say that Abraham believed God, so he practiced obedience to His commands. If we have faith in God to guide us on how to rightly live, then we will obey His commands, and faith without works is dead (James 2:17). However, it is not the works themselves that saves us, but our faith that leads to works is what saves us. Faith is how we grow in a relationship with God and the point of obeying God's commands is not earn our salvation, but to grow in a relationship with God.
I get it now..

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But that doesn't mean one should still sin even if they believe in Jesus right?
The new covenant hinges on TWO, not one core points:

This is the covenant I will make with them after that time says the Lord
I will write my laws in their minds
And place them in their hearts( you have been born again)
Then he adds
There sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more( Jesus died for you. You have a saviour from your sin)
Heb10:16&17

The law God desires you to keep is in your heart. Simply put, that means that in your heart you want to obey God. That will not and cannot change by you having righteousness of faith in Christ/ not observing the law. For that law will never be taken out of your heart.
Jesus will be no one's saviour from sin unless the law is in their heart, for he will be no one's saviour from sin unless they in their heart desire to live as his Father wants them to

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
But that doesn't mean one should still sin even if they believe in Jesus right?

We do not become sinless the moment that we accept Christ, but rather our sanctification of being made to be more like Christ is a lifelong process that will not be completed until He who began a good work in us is faithful to complete it on the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6). According to Titus 2:11-14, our salvation involves being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly and sinful, so this is an ongoing training. When we do sin, we need to repent or change our thinking and turn back to obedience to God. God is always waiting with open arms for us to repent and the message of every single prophet up to and including Jesus was to repent. Furthermore, at no point did God ever refuse to forgive someone who repented.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So how do I get back on the right path...whats a Christians lifestyle consist of?
Look to Christ, trust him to change you by the power of the holy Spirit. The more you do this, realising you are helpless to change yourself, the more the fruits of the Spirit will grow in your life( gal5:22) The fruits of the Spirit are the embodiment of how God wants you to live.
Then you will have followed the right path

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
So how do I get back on the right path...whats a Christians lifestyle consist of?

Reading the Bible, following what it teaches by faith and love, and prayer.

Upvote 0