Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Indeed and what does the very last verse of Matthew 5 say?
It says be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect. So how does that compare to the mantra that I have been fed for decades that we are all just "sinners saved by grace"?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It says be perfect as your father in heaven is perfect. So how does that compare to the mantra that I have been fed for decades that we are all just "sinners saved by grace"?
How do we obtain the perfection required by our Heavenly Father?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do we obtain the perfection required by our Heavenly Father?
Simple.
We think and act in like manner of Jesus who modeled the nature and character of the Creator Himself. :groupray:

Check out this video. Not sure who the guy is but he really explains it well.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simple.
We think and act in like manner of Jesus who modeled the nature and character of the Creator Himself

Like or "as" is still missing perfection.

How do we obtain this perfection within our life span?

Or is imitation 'good enough?'

• Useful
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like or "as" is still missing perfection.

How do we obtain this perfection within our life span?

Or is imitation 'good enough?'
You know, the way it worked for me was to "imitate" the character profile in Matthew 5 at first simply because it appeared to be a sort of a command, it just sounded like a way we were expected to be.
I think you can tell that over time there is a change where that type of character comes from the way you think naturally.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know, the way it worked for me was to "imitate" the character profile in Matthew 5 at first simply because it appeared to be a sort of a command, it just sounded like a way we were expected to be.
I think you can tell that over time there is a change where that type of character comes from the way you think naturally.

Is the above 'perfect enough' to gain entry into the Kingdom of God?

• Useful
Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is the above 'perfect enough' to gain entry into the Kingdom of God?
Well Jesus basically said that if you obey his law of loving God and loving others as yourself, then yes because that covers all the law and the prophets.
But also keep in mind Matthew chapter 5. If you only love those who love you, then that isn't worth anything. How you love your opponent or enemy really determines if you are obeying that law or not.
And like he said about lusting. Its really about what one thinks of in their mind that matters.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well Jesus basically said that if you obey his law of loving God and loving others as yourself, then yes because that covers all the law and the prophets.
But also keep in mind Matthew chapter 5. If you only love those who love you, then that isn't worth anything. How you love your opponent or enemy really determines if you are obeying that law or not.
And like he said about lusting. Its really about what one thinks of in their mind that matters.
Let's back up the truck a bit. Matthew 5 ends with a call to be perfect like our Heavenly Father is perfect. How do we achieve this?

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums