Right v Left - would this sum up the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
. The working conditions in Amazon warehouses are disgusting, and in some cases illegal. And they aren’t paid nearly the value of their work, as demonstrated by the insane profits extracted from their labor. Bezos wealth comes from exploitation of workers.
Amazon employe a lot more than just warehouse workers, however; what’s preventing the warehouse workers from going somewhere else?
Some. Landlords prey on the poor, who don’t have the resources to seek legal help or protect their interests. Many landlords just blatantly break the law knowing that their tenants won’t have the courage or resources to hold them accountable.
I suspect these are probably tenants that nobody else would rent to. As a landlord myself, I can assure you tenants do their share of harm as well knowing if they already have no money, they will not be held accountable.
The only reason “nobody else will hire them” is that Walmart pushes out the smaller businesses that those people would be working at.
Walmart does not effect all small businesses; there are still a lot of starter jobs around like McDonalds or 711 that are not effected by Walmart. Nothing stopping them from going there.
Like Bezos, they extract huge profits from their employees’ labor, and even worse, don’t provide a living wage or affordable health insurance.
No job owes anybody a living wage in accordance to their chosen lifestyle.
Walmart is rolling in dough while their employees have to get state assistance to live. It’s exploitive.
When I used to work at McDonalds, people used to complain how McDonalds was a multi-billion dollar corporation, rolling in dough; that can afford to pay it’s employees more than minimum wage. It was as if they thought each store had access to the billions. The reality was that each store has to stand on it’s own with no financial help from the others and if it couldn’t make a profit, they would go out of business.

I suspect the same applies to Walmart; just because all the Walmarts combined has sales in the billions doesn’t mean each store has access to that kind of money; they probably have to stand on their own like all the other businesses.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But a quick look at the real world and you will see some of the super rich give more and do more to help the poor than anyone else. Bill Gates isn’t the only billionaire who has pledged to give his fortune to charity upon death; lots have done it. How can you say it is possible but unlikely when you see examples of it happening all around you?
To "give more and do more to help the poor than anyone else" does not preclude mammon worship. I've already explained that. That is what I am saying possible but not likely. You conveniently left that part of what I said out when you quoted part of my post and put it out of the context of what else I said. So you have not given any examples of someone who helps the poor and does not also worship mammon. You've only given examples of people who help the poor; whether they worship mammon or not can't be determined just on that.

Spending money on expensive things does not mean he is putting his money ahead of that which is important.
Well "that which is important" is relative. From a godless perspective the self, including selfish wants and lusts, is "that which is important" over others. From a Christian perspective our selfish wants and lusts are not "that which is important". For Christians, serving God by serving others and helping others is "that which is important".

Spending money on expensive things in and of itself is not necessarily selfish. But since you're fixated on Bill Gates, let's use that example. Bill Gates lives in a home that cost about $147,000,000. Expensive. Do you think Bill Gates could have taken sufficient care of himself and his needs (not wants or lusts) in a home that cost, say, $140,000,000? If so, he could have given another $7,000,000 to feed some hungry children. Do you think that Bill Gates is spending on "that which is important" by spending that extra 7 million on himself rather than on starving children? I suppose if you have a godless worldview where the only god is the self then you may consider Bill Gates' ego to be "that which is important" to him. But from a Christian perspective he is spending that money on things that are not as important as the lives and well-being of people in need.

Feel free to tell me that you think Bill Gates is justified in worshiping mammon by spending that money on himself instead of those who are in need. I can tell you he sure isn't worshiping God by doing that. But since you reject God you open the door to mammon worship being something permittable and acceptable in your life.

This makes no sense to me. Why would you think charity only matters if the loss of the money weighs heavily on the person giving? If you and your family are hungry and in need of help, would you prefer a poor man give you his last $20 to help feed your family? Or would you prefer Bill Gates to give you $1,000 to feed your family and a job to keep them fed? The benefit of $1,000 is secondary to how much Bill Gates suffers in its absence. Does this make sense to you? If not; please explain.
I didn't say that "charity only matters if the loss of the money weighs heavily on the person giving". Here, again, you distort what I've said. The sacrifice is an indicator of the heart of the person and whether the person is worshiping God or worshiping mammon. The topic or issue at hand isn't a competition of "who can help more people". Yes, a person with tons of money can help more people than a person with less money.

But the issue we're discussing is that of mammon-worship. The person who worships mammon will work to serve it; that person will give up or sacrifice less of it, proportionately. The person with a heart to worship God by serving others will sacrifice more of it, proportionately. The parable of the widow's mite is a lesson in morality of serving God vs the self and mammon. Your entire detour into "$1,000 is more than $20" is a red herring in regards to the discussion of mammon-worship. If you want to discuss the topic of "rich people can give more money away" then start a different discussion on that.

And people who become super rich usually don’t get that way by attempting to make money, they get that way by starting a business and the money just sorta follows via the growth of the business. These people do it because they care about the business they built; not because of the wealth associated with the business.
See, now you are losing me. Now I have to wonder, are you actually that clueless or are you gaslighting me. Don't try to tell me that people become rich by accident. Don't try to tell me that people get rich without trying to get rich. Don't try to tell me that nobody or a very few set out to get rich by going into business. Don't try to tell me that people just go out and do their hobbies and interests and then one day money starts coming in for it.

I work with people every day who set out to make money, worked hard in that endeavor, and grew their financial wealth and made lots of money. Many of them turn around and invest in other business ventures for the purpose of making even more money. None of them did this for fun or for no paycheck.

Not to mention that if you believe people are not driven by the incentive of making money then you must not be a capitalist, because capitalism is founded upon that very premise. Not even just capitalism - pretty much all market economy.

I’m not talking about giving money to others, I’m talking about using their money to bring vaccines to villages who don’t have access to them thus saving countless lives. I’m talking about having wells dug in places where clean water is scarce improving the lives of thousands. I’m talking about using a percentage of your money in a way that helps those who really need it.
Well then Bill Gates is a poor example. He uses at least $147,000,000 of his money on himself, on an extravagant home and property replete with features such as a 60-foot swimming pool with an underwater music system, a 2,500-square-foot gym, and a 1,000-square-foot (93 m2) dining room.
Bill Gates's house - Wikipedia

And that's just his one home. Not to mention the other 5 multi-million dollar mansions, or his exotic cars, or his yacht, etc.
Bill Gates House: Inside His 5 Massive Mansions from Seattle to Florida

You consider that excessive wealth "that which is important" over starving children? Or are you under the impression that there are no needy people so it's OK for him to spend that exoribitantly? Or, what I bet is the case, you believe that economic darwinism entitles him to determine "that which is important" because he holds the money, so if he deems a 43 million dollar mansion in Del Mar to be "that which is important" over people who are starving, sick, or otherwise in need then the money makes it right.

And that's fine for you to believe that, that is in fact the conservative bottom line. Might makes right, money is the ultimate arbiter of all things including morality. Money determines "that which is important" while God is to be ignored and mocked. Mammon is to be worshiped and loved while God is to be hated. But don't pretend that any of that ideology is compatible with Christianity because it absolutely is opposed to Christianity.

Why is it assumed that this usually describes the rich?
I've already explained this. You seem to have ignored and/or disregarded most of what I've already answered. I already told you that people who are poor or of average means have a certain amount of desire for material possessions out of a need for security and stability in their survival. There comes a point where a person can have more than "enough". After that it is likely greed, aka mammon-worship, which drives the person to take or retain more and more and more. Do you really need this explained to you? It's hard for me to believe that someone wouldn't understand this intuitively.

So do you agree a person could feel there is no limit on the amount of wealth he could accumulate while not resorting to mammon?
I'm saying that it's possible that there's no limit. I would also point out that it's also possible for the top supermodel in New York to marry me by the end of this year. Possible, but so unlikely that it may as well be impossible. When you ask me if it's possible that there's "no limit on the amount of wealth he could accumulate while not resorting to mammon" all I can think about is when Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber asks the beautiful girl what kind of chance he has at getting a date with her, to which she replies "one in a million", and then Jim Carrey replies elatedly, "So you're saying there's a CHANCE!!!"

So when I tell you it's possible, it's a technicality. Realistically, it would probably never happen.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm pretty sure it is due to all that junk the lobbyists put in to ensure their employers get really rich.
I agree that the lobbyists put all that junk in to ensure it would fail and I even think the Democrats were complicit in that. But I have never seen any of "the authors of the ACA admit that it was intended to fail".

I don't believe any of them did admit that, I think @oompaloompa is completely making that up. That is why I am asking him to provide whatever source he has or where he heard that from. And I'm pretty sure we'll never see a response with a source.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
To "give more and do more to help the poor than anyone else" does not preclude mammon worship. I've already explained that. That is what I am saying possible but not likely. You conveniently left that part of what I said out when you quoted part of my post and put it out of the context of what else I said. So you have not given any examples of someone who helps the poor and does not also worship mammon. You've only given examples of people who help the poor; whether they worship mammon or not can't be determined just on that.
Your description of “mammon” is very difficult; it seems to be in a constant state of change. Is it money and possessions? Or is it the love of money and possessions. You haven’t proven he worships money and possessions, and if mammon is the love of money and possessions, how is that worshipped? The love of money is a state of mind and you cannot worship a state of mind. Perhaps you should be a little more clear on what Mammon is, and how is it worshipped.
Well "that which is important" is relative. From a godless perspective the self, including selfish wants and lusts, is "that which is important" over others.
How did you conclude he has selfish wants and lusts over people?
From a Christian perspective our selfish wants and lusts are not "that which is important". For Christians, serving God by serving others and helping others is "that which is important".
He has already demonstrated his desire in helping others.
Spending money on expensive things in and of itself is not necessarily selfish. But since you're fixated on Bill Gates, let's use that example. Bill Gates lives in a home that cost about $147,000,000. Expensive.
Expensive by whose standard; yours or his? I will bet you that whatever house you live in is far more expensive to you than his is to him. Does this make you selfish?
Do you think Bill Gates could have taken sufficient care of himself and his needs (not wants or lusts) in a home that cost, say, $140,000,000? If so, he could have given another $7,000,000 to feed some hungry children.
What makes you think the price of his house is preventing him from doing more? Is the price of your house preventing YOU from giving more? Can you live in a cheaper house?
Do you think that Bill Gates is spending on "that which is important" by spending that extra 7 million on himself rather than on starving children? I suppose if you have a godless worldview where the only god is the self then you may consider Bill Gates' ego to be "that which is important" to him.
When you consider the billions he already give, the cost of his house does not make much of a difference. And perhaps you can apply the same standard to yourself that you apply to him and others. Can’t you do more to help those in need than you currently do?
But from a Christian perspective he is spending that money on things that are not as important as the lives and well-being of people in need.
I will bet you do as well! There are people who don’t have houses and live under a bridge! Do you live under a bridge? Is you living in a house of your choosing an indication that you are putting that over the lives of the well-being of people in need? It is easy to point your finger at someone who is doing his best and say he can do better; but to what end do you judge people this way?
Feel free to tell me that you think Bill Gates is justified in worshiping mammon by spending that money on himself instead of those who are in need.
Spending money on yourself does not equal worshipping mammon. If it did, everybody would be worshipping mammon; yourself included.
I can tell you he sure isn't worshiping God by doing that.
If you can worship God and still do that, why can’t he?
But since you reject God you open the door to mammon worship being something permittable and acceptable in your life.
No, believe it or not, it is possible to not worship anything or anybody at all.
I didn't say that "charity only matters if the loss of the money weighs heavily on the person giving". Here, again, you distort what I've said. The sacrifice is an indicator of the heart of the person and whether the person is worshiping God or worshiping mammon.
I’ve got a feeling you are using the term “worship” out of context; using it to mean something it does not. In order to prevent confusion, how are you defining worship? Also exactly what is mammon?
The topic or issue at hand isn't a competition of "who can help more people". Yes, a person with tons of money can help more people than a person with less money.

But the issue we're discussing is that of mammon-worship. The person who worships mammon will work to serve it; that person will give up or sacrifice less of it, proportionately.
Why would a person who worships mammon sacrifice any of it? You would think he would cherish it.
The person with a heart to worship God by serving others will sacrifice more of it, proportionately. The parable of the widow's mite is a lesson in morality of serving God vs the self and mammon.
Suppose it is the mammon that allows him to help others? If his mammon constantly makes him money allowing him to constantly help others, giving all of your mammon away at once preventing you from helping others in the future is foolish; don’t cha think?

It's getting late; I will respond to the rest later.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Your description of “mammon” is very difficult; it seems to be in a constant state of change. Is it money and possessions? Or is it the love of money and possessions. You haven’t proven he worships money and possessions, and if mammon is the love of money and possessions, how is that worshipped? The love of money is a state of mind and you cannot worship a state of mind. Perhaps you should be a little more clear on what Mammon is, and how is it worshipped.
No, my definition is not difficult at all. I said it's the love or worship of material possessions/money. I also said it was idolatry of the same. Here is a dictionary definition:
mam·mon | \ ˈma-mən \
Definition of mammon
: material wealth or possessions especially as having a debasing influence
you cannot serve God and mammon— Matthew 6:24 (Revised Standard Version)

Either you have very bad comprehension skills, or you're not trying to understand, or you're deliberately pretending to be incapable of understanding in order to push your argument in favor of materialism and mammon-worship.

How did you conclude he has selfish wants and lusts over people?
From where he chooses to spend his money.

He has already demonstrated his desire in helping others.
Yes but he hasn't demonstrated his reason for doing so. Many people who have great material wealth do these things for recognition, praise, ego, self-worship ,etc. which are all forms of mammon worship. And at the same time that he has given much to help others he has spent tons of money on himself, far above what is necessary to survive comfortably.

Expensive by whose standard; yours or his? I will bet you that whatever house you live in is far more expensive to you than his is to him. Does this make you selfish?
By the vast majority, i.e. over 99% of the world's population. The same would not all agree my home is "expensive".

What makes you think the price of his house is preventing him from doing more? Is the price of your house preventing YOU from giving more? Can you live in a cheaper house?
Do you not understand how money works? Do you not understand that limited funds, no matter how great in number, limit what you can do? Do you not understand that when you spend an extra amount on something that amount is not available anymore for something else? If you spend $10, it's gone, it's not there for something else.

Why are you asking me to explain how money works? Either you are incredibly ignorant or you are playing games.

And yes, the price of my home and what I have spent and continue to spend on it prevents me from using that spent money on anything else. That's how money works. You have a certain amount and when you spend it, it's gone. You can get more money - maybe - but that money you spent is gone and no longer available.

Did you learn something about money now?

When you consider the billions he already give, the cost of his house does not make much of a difference.
What are you talking about? If there are people in need and he spends millions on extravagancies instead of helping the people who are in need then the cost of those extravagancies, including the ones in his house, make a huge difference, in fact a difference between life and death. It doesn't matter how much else he has given away.

And perhaps you can apply the same standard to yourself that you apply to him and others. Can’t you do more to help those in need than you currently do?
Probably, but not much more than I already do. I could certainly do much more with Bill Gates' money than he does with it. What's your point here, anyway?

I will bet you do as well! There are people who don’t have houses and live under a bridge! Do you live under a bridge? Is you living in a house of your choosing an indication that you are putting that over the lives of the well-being of people in need? It is easy to point your finger at someone who is doing his best and say he can do better; but to what end do you judge people this way?
And this brings us to the question which started this whole discussion, "when is enough going to be enough?"

I've already talked about how people need certain basics, basic material possessions and finances in order to be able to take care of themselves. Food, clothing, shelter are obvious. In our times, there are certain other things needed with some variation from person to person based on what they do in life. A phone is a necessity for most as is internet to go with the phone. A computer also. Transportation is also pretty much a basic necessity. And with all these basics it should be understood that the safest and most reliable of each is required, to a reasonable extent.

Spending money on yourself does not equal worshipping mammon. If it did, everybody would be worshipping mammon; yourself included.
I never said spending money on yourself is equal to worshiping mammon, so why are you creating yet another red herring? Spending money on yourself CAN be mammon-worship, but it also may NOT be. You make the statement as if it's something I said when in fact I never did. Are you playing games now? Or are you genuinely incapable of keeping up with the discussion and what I'm actually saying vs. what you are fabricating in your mind?

If you can worship God and still do that, why can’t he?
You can't, I can't, and neither can he. No man can serve two masters, he will love one and hate the other.

No, believe it or not, it is possible to not worship anything or anybody at all.
That's your godless view. From a Christian viewpoint we all choose to worship God or reject God. Those who reject God replace him with self or ego. A huge part of self-worship is mammon-worship. The idolatry of mammon is ultimately to satisfy the self. This is the Christian view. This is what God's Word teaches. I realize that you don't believe in that, but this discussion is about mammon-worship from a Christian view and how it is incompatible with Conservative ideals.

And so far, you're doing a TREMENDOUS job of helping me prove the assertion that conservatives put money ahead of people, especially from the Christian point of view.

I’ve got a feeling you are using the term “worship” out of context; using it to mean something it does not. In order to prevent confusion, how are you defining worship? Also exactly what is mammon?
I am a Christian so I am using it in the way Christians use it. Worship does not always mean formal worship as you may be thinking. Worship is serving. As Christians we are always worshiping, or serving, the Lord God. When we worship in church it is a formalized, worship service with rituals and sacraments. But we are worshiping with our lives when we are outside of church services (or at least we are striving to always be worshiping). Idolatry is the serving or worshiping of an idol. An idol is a false god. It could be a literal, physical idol, the way some people worship statues or other physical things. The idol could also be an ideology. Ultimately, all idolatry is worship of a false god which in turn is believed to serve the Self, the Ego.

Why would a person who worships mammon sacrifice any of it? You would think he would cherish it.
Of course a mammon-worshiper would not sacrifice it and would cherish it. Giving it to charity may seem like he's sacrificing it but when they have so much money that they can give huge sums away it is really not much of a sacrifice. You made a big deal about "well so what if it's not a sacrifice???" earlier. Well here's why it's an issue...

When we're talking about Christian values and about mammon-worship and putting mammon above other peoples' lives, a person like Bill Gates who gives millions to charity but is not sacrificing very much is not proving that he doesn't worship mammon. Many people in that position are worshiping mammon and self-serving by giving that money away. They are feeding their own egos by garnering praise and admiration and flattery from people.

For several posts you yourself have repeatedly praised Bill Gates for his charitable work. And you know he has given that kind of money because we can easily look it up and prove that he gave that kind of money away. He puts his name on it. "The Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation". He allows media to report on his donations. He allows it to be public record how much he gives. Why? Is his goal to help people or is it to get praise and admiration from people like you? If it's the latter, he's doing a great job and he's getting the worship he desires from people like you. He is spending his money to get it but it's worth it to him. And that is just another form of mammon-worship. Just as he buys exotic cars, lavish homes, yachts, jets, etc. he also purchases admiration, flattery, ego-boosts, praise, etc. by giving millions to charity with his name attached and announced in the media to all the world.

Suppose it is the mammon that allows him to help others?
Based on the definition of mammon it can't be mammon that allows him to help others; mammon is for helping the self.

If his mammon constantly makes him money allowing him to constantly help others, giving all of your mammon away at once preventing you from helping others in the future is foolish; don’t cha think?
Here you're equating mammon with money/material wealth and several posts back i made the distinction between the two. What you say here makes no sense in light of the meaning of "mammon".

It's getting late; I will respond to the rest later.
If and when you do, please don't play games or ask silly things like how money works, or pretend you can't understand what mammon is. If you can't understand from our discussion and you want to dig deeper then go ahead and research it.

No matter how much you do, though, you'll never be able to reconcile the idolatry of mammon with Christian values. They are diametrically opposed.

• Winner
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No, my definition is not difficult at all. I said it's the love or worship of material possessions/money. I also said it was idolatry of the same. Here is a dictionary definition:
mam·mon | \ ˈma-mən \
Definition of mammon
: material wealth or possessions especially as having a debasing influence
you cannot serve God and mammon— Matthew 6:24 (Revised Standard Version)

Either you have very bad comprehension skills, or you're not trying to understand, or you're deliberately pretending to be incapable of understanding in order to push your argument in favor of materialism and mammon-worship.

Yes but he hasn't demonstrated his reason for doing so. Many people who have great material wealth do these things for recognition, praise, ego, self-worship ,etc. which are all forms of mammon worship. And at the same time that he has given much to help others he has spent tons of money on himself, far above what is necessary to survive comfortably.

By the vast majority, i.e. over 99% of the world's population. The same would not all agree my home is "expensive".

Do you not understand how money works? Do you not understand that limited funds, no matter how great in number, limit what you can do? Do you not understand that when you spend an extra amount on something that amount is not available anymore for something else? If you spend $10, it's gone, it's not there for something else.

Why are you asking me to explain how money works? Either you are incredibly ignorant or you are playing games.

And yes, the price of my home and what I have spent and continue to spend on it prevents me from using that spent money on anything else. That's how money works. You have a certain amount and when you spend it, it's gone. You can get more money - maybe - but that money you spent is gone and no longer available.

What are you talking about? If there are people in need and he spends millions on extravagancies instead of helping the people who are in need then the cost of those extravagancies, including the ones in his house, make a huge difference, in fact a difference between life and death. It doesn't matter how much else he has given away.

Probably, but not much more than I already do. I could certainly do much more with Bill Gates' money than he does with it. What's your point here, anyway?

And this brings us to the question which started this whole discussion, "when is enough going to be enough?"

I've already talked about how people need certain basics, basic material possessions and finances in order to be able to take care of themselves. Food, clothing, shelter are obvious. In our times, there are certain other things needed with some variation from person to person based on what they do in life. A phone is a necessity for most as is internet to go with the phone. A computer also. Transportation is also pretty much a basic necessity. And with all these basics it should be understood that the safest and most reliable of each is required, to a reasonable extent.

I never said spending money on yourself is equal to worshiping mammon, so why are you creating yet another red herring? Spending money on yourself CAN be mammon-worship, but it also may NOT be. You make the statement as if it's something I said when in fact I never did. Are you playing games now? Or are you genuinely incapable of keeping up with the discussion and what I'm actually saying vs. what you are fabricating in your mind?

You can't, I can't, and neither can he. No man can serve two masters, he will love one and hate the other.

That's your godless view. From a Christian viewpoint we all choose to worship God or reject God. Those who reject God replace him with self or ego. A huge part of self-worship is mammon-worship. The idolatry of mammon is ultimately to satisfy the self. This is the Christian view. This is what God's Word teaches. I realize that you don't believe in that, but this discussion is about mammon-worship from a Christian view and how it is incompatible with Conservative ideals.

And so far, you're doing a TREMENDOUS job of helping me prove the assertion that conservatives put money ahead of people, especially from the Christian point of view.

I am a Christian so I am using it in the way Christians use it. Worship does not always mean formal worship as you may be thinking. Worship is serving. As Christians we are always worshiping, or serving, the Lord God. When we worship in church it is a formalized, worship service with rituals and sacraments. But we are worshiping with our lives when we are outside of church services (or at least we are striving to always be worshiping). Idolatry is the serving or worshiping of an idol. An idol is a false god. It could be a literal, physical idol, the way some people worship statues or other physical things. The idol could also be an ideology. Ultimately, all idolatry is worship of a false god which in turn is believed to serve the Self, the Ego.

Of course a mammon-worshiper would not sacrifice it and would cherish it. Giving it to charity may seem like he's sacrificing it but when they have so much money that they can give huge sums away it is really not much of a sacrifice. You made a big deal about "well so what if it's not a sacrifice???" earlier. Well here's why it's an issue...

When we're talking about Christian values and about mammon-worship and putting mammon above other peoples' lives, a person like Bill Gates who gives millions to charity but is not sacrificing very much is not proving that he doesn't worship mammon. Many people in that position are worshiping mammon and self-serving by giving that money away. They are feeding their own egos by garnering praise and admiration and flattery from people.

For several posts you yourself have repeatedly praised Bill Gates for his charitable work. And you know he has given that kind of money because we can easily look it up and prove that he gave that kind of money away. He puts his name on it. "The Bill and Melissa Gates Foundation". He allows media to report on his donations. He allows it to be public record how much he gives. Why? Is his goal to help people or is it to get praise and admiration from people like you? If it's the latter, he's doing a great job and he's getting the worship he desires from people like you. He is spending his money to get it but it's worth it to him. And that is just another form of mammon-worship. Just as he buys exotic cars, lavish homes, yachts, jets, etc. he also purchases admiration, flattery, ego-boosts, praise, etc. by giving millions to charity with his name attached and announced in the media to all the world.

Based on the definition of mammon it can't be mammon that allows him to help others; mammon is for helping the self.

Here you're equating mammon with money/material wealth and several posts back i made the distinction between the two. What you say here makes no sense in light of the meaning of "mammon".

If and when you do, please don't play games or ask silly things like how money works, or pretend you can't understand what mammon is. If you can't understand from our discussion and you want to dig deeper then go ahead and research it.

No matter how much you do, though, you'll never be able to reconcile the idolatry of mammon with Christian values. They are diametrically opposed.
Excellent post.
Here’s a shorter (non religious) version

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
― John Kenneth Galbraith

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Excellent post.
Here’s a shorter (non religious) version

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.”
― John Kenneth Galbraith
NOW you post this? You could have saved me tons of typing and time!!!! LOL

Seriously though, that is perfectly put and sums up the whole argument. It also proves that the OP's assertion that generally conservatives care more about money than people is rooted in a widely held perception that is rooted in reality and is not just "propaganda" or made-up. That view has been around for a long time and the quote you provide here is decades old. I think if anything it's even more extreme today.

Thanks, Pommer! :)

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, my definition is not difficult at all. I said it's the love or worship of material possessions/money.
Thanks; I appreciate your definition. If mammon is the worship of material possessions or money, I can assure you that mammon does not exist! There is no such a thing as mammon because nobody worships money or material things. People value money and material things, but they don't worship those things. To worship is to express reverence towards a deity; and nobody perceives money or their material possessions as a deity or God. If you disagree, I challenge you to list a single sane person who worships money this way. If you can't do that, then hence forth; please refrain from using Mammon or other terms for actions that do not exist, because it makes it difficult to understand what you are trying to say.
So where does he spend his money?
Yes but he hasn't demonstrated his reason for doing so.
He doesn’t owe you or anybody else an explanation for his motives. And how do you know what he has or has not demonstrated to his wife or closest friends?
Many people who have great material wealth do these things for recognition, praise, ego, self-worship ,etc.
So because some people do it, you are going to accuse him of doing it?
which are all forms of mammon worship. And at the same time that he has given much to help others he has spent tons of money on himself, far above what is necessary to survive comfortably.
By some people’s standards, so have you! (except you haven’t given much to others) Does that make you a bad person?
When it comes to his personal expenses, you and 99% of the worlds population don’t count. The only thing that matters is what is expensive according to his standards.

Bill Gates does not have a lot of money, he has a lot of wealth. Do you understand the difference? The amount of his wealth he chose to convert to money in order to purchase his house is tiny compared to the amount his wealth funds to help others. Can you say the same? And he doesn’t go around giving money to people who needs it, he used his wealth to fund a charity that helps people; and this charity operates regardless of the amount of his wealth he chose to convert to money in order to buy his multimillion dollar house. So the amount he spend on his house has no effect on the money used to help the needy; one has nothing to do with the other.
Again; he doesn’t have much money, he has wealth. If you were in charge of his wealth, you would probably destroy it and it wouldn’t be able to fund his charity thus ruining everything.

You are wrong. You dont need as much food as you eat, you don’t need as many clothes as you have, you don’t need the type of shelter you live in, you don’t need a phone, computer, or transportation; lots of people live without those things, so can you. You are only making excuses to justify your excessive lifestyle while point your finger at others; and I ain’t buyin’ it!
That's your godless view. From a Christian viewpoint we all choose to worship God or reject God.
Your Christian viewpoint is wrong. Just because somebody does not actively worship God does not mean they are rejecting him.
Those who reject God replace him with self or ego.
Wrong again! Some of the most humble people in the world reject your idea of God
A huge part of self-worship is mammon-worship. The idolatry of mammon is ultimately to satisfy the self. This is the Christian view.
This is YOUR Christian viewpoint. Not all Christians agree with your Christian viewpoint
I am a Christian so I am using it in the way Christians use it. Worship does not always mean formal worship as you may be thinking. Worship is serving. As Christians we are always worshiping, or serving, the Lord God. When we worship in church it is a formalized, worship service with rituals and sacraments. But we are worshiping with our lives when we are outside of church services (or at least we are striving to always be worshiping).
Nobody does that with money.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks; I appreciate your definition.
Horse crap. If you appreciated my definition you wouldn't have misquoted it, as you go on to do in your very next sentence...

If mammon is the worship of material possessions or money, I can assure you that mammon does not exist! There is no such a thing as mammon because nobody worships money or material things. People value money and material things, but they don't worship those things. To worship is to express reverence towards a deity; and nobody perceives money or their material possessions as a deity or God.
I said it's the love or worship of money. I said it that way to clarify the connotation of the word. I went on to provide you the dictionary definition of the word "mammon" to further clarify it.

As for the word "worship", you clearly don't know what that word means either. Yes, people do worship money and material things. To help you out, here is the dictionary definition of "worship":
worship
noun
Definition of worship (Entry 2 of 2)
1: reverence offered a divine being or supernatural poweralso : an act of expressing such reverence
2: a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual
3: extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem
//worship of the dollar

Definition of WORSHIP

Note the third entry. "Worship" is not always "to express reverence towards a deity[sic]". The dictionary provides the complete definition and even uses as an example of the correct usage of the word "worship of the dollar".

Are you ignorant of the English language and vocabulary or are you playing games with semantics in order to wiggle out of your untenable argument which is not based in logic? It's hard to tell, but either way, that's really weak.

If you disagree, I challenge you to list a single sane person who worships money this way.
I do disagree and I don't have to list a single person who worships money in the sense of the narrow definition you provided. I did better than that - I corrected your assertion that worship has one meaning, i.e. "to express reverence towards a deity [sic]", and I also showed you that it is in the lexicon as a direct example that the correct usage of the word can apply to the worship of money.

If you can't do that, then hence forth; please refrain from using Mammon or other terms for actions that do not exist, because it makes it difficult to understand what you are trying to say.
Henceforth (one word, not two) I will continue to call out where you are fumbling with selective definitions and trying to play games with semantics in order to avoid sticking to the topic or using logic instead.

I think you find what I say difficult to understand because you appear to have some genuine deficiencies with vocabulary and grammar, not to mention rational, logical thinking.

So where does he spend his money?
Largely on himself. I provided you examples and links to the sources for my examples. Yet, here you are asking me again. And again I must wonder, are you being intentionally obtuse? Or do you really have no capability for listening to what I have already provided? You ask things over and over despite my having provided you the answer previously. Whether out of ignorance or an attempt to dodge and deflect it's very weak.

He doesn’t owe you or anybody else an explanation for his motives. And how do you know what he has or has not demonstrated to his wife or closest friends?
Where have I ever said he owes anyone any explanation for his motives? He doesn't. Again, you are fabricating things. Again, you have not listened to what I have actually said. You have created yet another red herring. As for what he demonstrates to his wife or friends, that has no bearing on what he's already demonstrated to the public, which includes me. I already know what I need to know to make the conclusion that he spends tons of his money on himself. Am I wrong? Are you trying to argue that he doesn't spend tons of his money on himself?

So because some people do it, you are going to accuse him of doing it?
No. But I'm not going to rule it out, either.

By some people’s standards, so have you! (except you haven’t given much to others) Does that make you a bad person?
I have? You don't know anything about me. What makes you say I have "spent tons of money on [my]self" and that it's "far above what is necessary to be comfortable"??? How would you know what I've spent? Or are you just talking out of your rear end because you're desperate and have no rational argument so you're trying to put me on the defensive to distract from your untenable argument?

When it comes to his personal expenses, you and 99% of the worlds population don’t count. The only thing that matters is what is expensive according to his standards.
What are you talking about? "don't count" for what? "matters" for what?

For the sake of this discussion, what I and 99% of the world's population think does matter. This discussion is about mammon-worship, what constitutes excess, and how mammon-worship is demonstrated in excess and extravagance in spending rather than helping those in need, especially those in life-or-death predicaments who need help desperately. So what I think and what most people think absolutely does count and matter.

Bill Gates does not have a lot of money, he has a lot of wealth. Do you understand the difference?
Money in large amounts is wealth - it is financial wealth and it is material wealth. Wealth, however, is not necessarily money. Wealth can be and typically is relative. We can objectively know that Bill Gates is wealthy in terms of financial wealth. To say he does not have a lot of money is ridiculous because we know how much money he has and it's "a lot" by any standard. To say that all his money is different from "wealth" is incorrect also since material or financial wealth is exactly having a lot of money (and/or material possessions that are worth a lot of money).

You should brush up on vocabulary. The word "wealth" is yet another word that you don't understand or use correctly. Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not intentionally misusing the word, the only alternative is that you're ignorant of the meaning of the word. It's the same as with the words "mammon" or "worship" - you're lost and you've even admitted to having a lot of difficulty understanding the meanings of those words. You should focus on the basics like vocabulary before trying to have a grown-up discussion that goes well beyond the simple meanings of the terms involved. I should be charging you for the education I'm providing you in vocabulary alone.

The amount of his wealth he chose to convert to money in order to purchase his house is tiny compared to the amount his wealth funds to help others.
I work in the field of Wealth Management. Wealth is not limited to either money or other assets. If something has economic value is it part of one's wealth. It doesn't matter what he converts to "money" (we call that "liquidity" - I should be charging you for this information the way I charge my employer). Please get your terms and definitions straight before trying to talk about these things.

As for your assertion that his purchase of his home (should be homes, plural, and should also include his cars, yacht, jet, etc.) is tiny compared to what he's given away, please provide your source for that. I don't believe you, I think you're making that up.

Can you say the same? And he doesn’t go around giving money to people who needs it, he used his wealth to fund a charity that helps people; and this charity operates regardless of the amount of his wealth he chose to convert to money in order to buy his multimillion dollar house. So the amount he spend on his house has no effect on the money used to help the needy; one has nothing to do with the other.
So here you admit that he isn't even using his own money anymore but instead the charity he established is using its funds to continue the charity work. So Bill Gates is not giving his money anymore, according to you. So he's spending all his money on himself. Thanks for helping prove my point.

Again; he doesn’t have much money, he has wealth. If you were in charge of his wealth, you would probably destroy it and it wouldn’t be able to fund his charity thus ruining everything.
Again, in the wealth management field we know that "wealth" means monetary value, i.e. "money". You are trying to tell me that he doesn't have "money" in the sense of cash or liquid wealth. I'm aware that most of his money is illiquid. Anyone with that kind of money would be foolish to keep it as cash. Do you honestly think you are the only one aware of this? Because you're not.

Bill Gates has a lot of money. A whole lot of money.

You are wrong. You dont need as much food as you eat, you don’t need as many clothes as you have, you don’t need the type of shelter you live in, you don’t need a phone, computer, or transportation; lots of people live without those things, so can you. You are only making excuses to justify your excessive lifestyle while point your finger at others; and I ain’t buyin’ it!
In order to make those kinds of determinations, you need to know 2 things:
1) Approximately how many/much of those things I actually have, and
2) how many/much of those things I actually need

Given that you know barely anything about me, there's no way you know either of those 2 things. So there's no way you can make any kind of judgment as to what I have that I need or don't need.

For example - you say I don't need as many clothes as I have.
1) How many clothes should I have?
2) How many clothes do I actually have?

Answer those questions correctly and I'll accept your judgment.

Of course, we both know you have resorted to talking out of your rear end yet again, talking about things you know nothing about because you're frustrated and flailing in trying to defend your untenable position in this discussion.

Your Christian viewpoint is wrong. Just because somebody does not actively worship God does not mean they are rejecting him.
Show me this from God's Word and/or the Church. That is the ultimate arbiter of the Christian viewpoint. If you're going to tell me I'm wrong then back it up. Of course, we both know you can't. It's that old talking-about-things-you-know-nothing-about thing again...

Wrong again! Some of the most humble people in the world reject your idea of God
From the Christian belief set, rejection of God is the sin of Pride. Those who reject God share the same sin that Lucifer fell for, Pride. They replace God with self, making them Prideful. While they may be humble in terms of their demeanor, and I know many atheists are, they are Prideful according to Christian theology.

This is YOUR Christian viewpoint. Not all Christians agree with your Christian viewpoint
So where are the Christians who disagree with me? You'll notice none of them are "correcting" me or disagreeing with me. If you're going to tell me I'm wrong then tell me what is right. Of course, we know you won't because you can't because you're talking about what you don't know... that whole thing again.

Nobody does that with money.
Merriam-Webster's Dictionary and I disagree with your empty, unfounded, subjective assertion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks; I appreciate your definition. If mammon is the worship of material possessions or money, I can assure you that mammon does not exist! There is no such a thing as mammon because nobody worships money or material things. People value money and material things, but they don't worship those things.
Our entire economy is built on the social contract that we all agree to BUY Goods & SERVICES.

Mammon isn’t the idol, it’s the “religion” itself.

• Winner
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Horse crap. If you appreciated my definition you wouldn't have misquoted it, as you go on to do in your very next sentence...

I said it's the love or worship of money.
Love is an emotional feeling; nobody has such an emotional connection that they would readily trade for something else; nobody loves money, nobody worships money; my argument stands.

I said it that way to clarify the connotation of the word. I went on to provide you the dictionary definition of the word "mammon" to further clarify it.

As for the word "worship", you clearly don't know what that word means either. Yes, people do worship money and material things. To help you out, here is the dictionary definition of "worship":
worship
noun
Definition of worship (Entry 2 of 2)
1: reverence offered a divine being or supernatural poweralso : an act of expressing such reverence
2: a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual
3: extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem
//worship of the dollar

Definition of WORSHIP
Nobody has extravagant respect or admiration to money either! Otherwise they wouldnt be so quick to trade a dollar for a candy bar. As far as "worship the dollar" that is a figure of speech. Just like; pretty as a picture, strong as an ox or so hungry I can eat a horse; this is not something to be taken literally, it is just something said for effect. Again; your argument fails

I do disagree and I don't have to list a single person who worships money in the sense of the narrow definition you provided. I did better than that - I corrected your assertion that worship has one meaning, i.e. "to express reverence towards a deity [sic]", and I also showed you that it is in the lexicon as a direct example that the correct usage of the word can apply to the worship of money.
No, you pointed to a figure of speech as if it is to be taken literal. Care to try again?

Largely on himself. I provided you examples and links to the sources for my examples.
You did not provide examples of everything he spends his money on, you listed his houses, but do you have any proof that he doesn't spend money on things you did not list? No; because you don't know. Admit it; you don't know what he spends his money on, you see a few things he has that you can't afford and your jealousy is causing you to hate on him.

Where have I ever said he owes anyone any explanation for his motives? He doesn't. Again, you are fabricating things.
So why did you bring up the fact that he has not demonstrated his reasons for helping others?

No. But I'm not going to rule it out, either.
You are doing more than not ruling out, you are at the point of accusing.

I have? You don't know anything about me.
You don't know anything about Bill Gates

What makes you say I have "spent tons of money on [my]self"
I didn't say tons of money, I said money

and that it's "far above what is necessary to be comfortable"???
How do you know what Bill Gates spent is not far above what is necessary for him to be comfortable?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Love is an emotional feeling; nobody has such an emotional connection that they would readily trade for something else; nobody loves money, nobody worships money; my argument stands.
Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately, your opinion is biased and you don't back it up with anything. simply stating that "nobody loves money" does not make it so. I've provided you a lexicographic source which even used "worship of the dollar" as its example and all you come back with is "nobody loves money!" Your argument falls flat on its face.

Nobody has extravagant respect or admiration to money either! Otherwise they wouldnt be so quick to trade a dollar for a candy bar. As far as "worship the dollar" that is a figure of speech. Just like; pretty as a picture, strong as an ox or so hungry I can eat a horse; this is not something to be taken literally, it is just something said for effect. Again; your argument fails
LOL!!! More subjective musing and then a declaration with nothing to back it up... Again, your argument falls flat.

No, you pointed to a figure of speech as if it is to be taken literal. Care to try again?
No, I pointed to a literal meaning. A definition. Which is why it is meant to be taken literally (not "taken literal").

You did not provide examples of everything he spends his money on, you listed his houses, but do you have any proof that he doesn't spend money on things you did not list? No; because you don't know. Admit it; you don't know what he spends his money on, you see a few things he has that you can't afford and your jealousy is causing you to hate on him.
I provided examples of many of his publicly disclosed expenditures. I don't have to provide examples of EVERYTHING he spends his money on, you're just trying to put that restriction on because you have no rational argument. I know what he spends his money on and so does anyone who can read a publication that discloses it. As for jealousy and hating on him, I don't know why you think that, but do feel free to explain why you think that my observation of what he has spent his money on is fueled by jealousy and hate. (LOL I can't help but laugh while I'm typing this!!! Hilarious!!!!)

So why did you bring up the fact that he has not demonstrated his reasons for helping others?
Because that's the fact, he hasn't. He may never do so. Nor does he have to.

You are doing more than not ruling out, you are at the point of accusing.
Where am I accusing? I'm looking at what he does and drawing conclusions based on the facts. Observation is not accusation.

You don't know anything about Bill Gates
I do, actually. Most people do. He's a public figure and there's a lot of information about him available to the public. Even you know things about Bill Gates, which is why you are the one who brought him into this conversation to begin with.

I didn't say tons of money, I said money[/quolte]
I originally said that Bill Gates "spends tons of money..." and then you said in reply to that quote of mine, "So do you!" Therefore, you said that I, like Bill Gates, spend "tons of money".

Why are you arguing over this minutiae anyway? Do you even understand this argument anymore? You're flailing and desperate and it shows.

How do you know what Bill Gates spent is not far above what is necessary for him to be comfortable?
Because I know that no human being alive needs those extravagancies to be simply comfortable. Those things are indulgent. You don't know this? You believe there are some human beings who simply can't be comfortable unless their home is worth over $100 million??? LOL, just asking that feels ridiculous, because it's ridiculous that someone is even suggesting it!!!

And through this all, the fact still stands that conservative values are all about money over the lives of others - you've only helped prove that more, so I thank you for that.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What are you talking about? "don't count" for what? "matters" for what?
I’m talking about the standard of what constitutes expensive. Just because his house is expensive to you and 99% of everyone else, does not mean it is expensive to him. My point is, what’s expensive to you and everybody else who doesn’t have to pay for it don’t count.
For the sake of this discussion, what I and 99% of the world's population think does matter. This discussion is about mammon-worship,
Mammon worship??? Back on post #105 you defined Mammon as the love or worship of material possessions/money. So mammon worship would be worshipping the worship or love of material possessions/money? Really? How does someone worship the worship of money? C’mon! Pick a definition and stick with it. This is why it is difficult to understand you sometimes.
what constitutes excess, and how mammon-worship is demonstrated in excess and extravagance in spending
Excess and extravagant spending? That’s your subjective opinion. Earlier you mentioned he spent $147,000,000 on his house as extravagant spending. How about if he only spent 7,000,000; is that extravagant? How about $1,000,000? How about $500,000? or $250,000 or even $50,000? Where is the line drawn for extravagant spending? The reality is, what he spent on his house is extravagant spending according to your subjective opinion, but to some people, even if you only spent $50,000 on your house, according to their subjective opinion that is extravagant spending

And as far as mammon-worship? The definition of worship you provided is something you do towards that with an actual existence. You described mammon as the worship of something which is more of an action rather than an actual thing, so again you cannot worship an action AKA mammon

As for your assertion that his purchase of his home (should be homes, plural, and should also include his cars, yacht, jet, etc.) is tiny compared to what he's given away, please provide your source for that. I don't believe you, I think you're making that up.
According to "factcheck" the claim that he has given over $50 Billion to Charities is true.
Fact check: Bill Gates has given over $50 billion to charitable causes.

$147 million is a small amount when compared to $50 Billion i

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The worship of mammon, or money, that can lead to the worship or material possessions or things, is trusting in, and/or having and/or putting faith in, those things to provide for you, or support you, more than you do God, or more than you trust in God to do, and/or have, and/or provide, or do, those things for you, etc...

For your either present or continued, health, wealth, welfare, and well being, etc...

And many are guilty of this, even admittedly even myself sometimes, etc...

But I'm trying my best not do that the best I can, etc...

Hopefully God understands, etc...

And forgives, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The worship of mammon, or money, that can lead to the worship or material possessions or things, is trusting in, and/or having and/or putting faith in, those things to provide for you, or support you, more than you do God, or more than you trust in God to do, and/or have, and/or provide, or do, those things for you, etc...

For your either present or continued, health, wealth, welfare, and well being, etc...
So if a person is ill and they put their faith in a doctor and his medicine to get better rather than praying for God to heal them, would this be an example of mammon?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.