Visit site
✟15,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello, all! After many decades of prayer, scripture study, and spiritual searching, it became clear to me that nearly all churches today do not adhere to one or more of Jesus' original teachings and act and look nothing like 1st century, New Testament churches. It is odd, in my opinion, to call oneself Christian yet not imitate as closely as possible the beliefs and worship style of the earliest followers of Jesus. One of the primary ways the modern church gets it so wrong is by worshiping in non-home buildings (often expensive and massive) rather than in local house churches. It is obvious that, after the destruction of the temple in AD 70, early Christian met and worshiped in homes. This is the way it should be, and it's why I have started an international network of house churches. Doesn't this simply make sense on a clear reading of the New Testament scriptures?

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, all! After many decades of prayer, scripture study, and spiritual searching, it became clear to me that nearly all churches today do not adhere to one or more of Jesus' original teachings and act and look nothing like 1st century, New Testament churches. It is odd, in my opinion, to call oneself Christian yet not imitate as closely as possible the beliefs and worship style of the earliest followers of Jesus. One of the primary ways the modern church gets it so wrong is by worshiping in non-home buildings (often expensive and massive) rather than in local house churches. It is obvious that, after the destruction of the temple in AD 70, early Christian met and worshiped in homes. This is the way it should be, and it's why I have started an international network of house churches. Doesn't this simply make sense on a clear reading of the New Testament scriptures?

As long as the Word of God is preached faithfully, the pastor is led by the Holy Spirit and sin is not allowed into the Church, does it really matter?

Also, the 7 churches in the book of revelation do not look like house churches to me, unless I missed something.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No, it does not make sense. It does make sense for all the believers in a given locale to try to worship together if at all practical. So as the number of believers grows they should look for larger and larger spaces to meet in. A cathedral thus does make sense. But if even that would not be big enough, it does make sense to subdivide into smaller groups.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2022
Florida
Visit site
✟15,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As long as the Word of God is preached faithfully, the pastor is led by the Holy Spirit and sin is not allowed into the Church, does it really matter?

Also, the 7 churches in the book of revelation do not look like house churches to me, unless I missed something.

Does it really matter? Yes. If we are not striving to live and worship as closely as possible in imitation of the original Jesus movement, then we are practicing something other than the Way of Jesus. The modern church would be unrecognizable to our early Christian brothers and sisters.

Also, the 7 churches of Revelation obviously refers to groups of Christians in a certain geographical location, not buildings.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While the early church did meet inside homes, they also met and congregated within the Temple complex up to the time of the persecution of Saul. No where in scripture is it COMMANDED to meet in homes, in fact, Jesus makes a point that where we worship doesn't matter, for God is spirit.

If you want to meet in a home because the fellowship is more intimate, and you believe it helps you fulfill other scriptural commands then that is fine. But to tell people that they have to meet in homes because that is commanded in scripture is itself in error.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2022
Florida
Visit site
✟15,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, it does not make sense. It does make sense for all the believers in a given locale to try to worship together if at all practical. So as the number of believers grows they should look for larger and larger spaces to meet in. A cathedral thus does make sense. But if even that would not be big enough, it does make sense to subdivide into smaller groups.

Only if you assume there is one house in the whole town/city/location. Believers should meet in houses of members to worship, and of course, more than one house may be used. Money should not be wasted on expensive, new buildings and upkeep.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2022
Florida
Visit site
✟15,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While the early church did meet inside homes, they also met and congregated within the Temple complex up to the time of the persecution of Saul. No where in scripture is it COMMANDED to meet in homes, in fact, Jesus makes a point that where we worship doesn't matter, for God is spirit.

If you want to meet in a home because the fellowship is more intimate, and you believe it helps you fulfill other scriptural commands then that is fine. But to tell people that they have to meet in homes because that is commanded in scripture is itself in error.

I clearly stated that early Jewish Christians met in the temple until AD 70. After that, they met in homes. Jesus was referring to the divide between Jews and Samaritans before the fall of the temple. The book of Acts clearly shows us that the earliest Christians (post temple destruction and even before that among Gentile Christians) met and worshiped in homes and used their monetary resources not for buildings, but for the continuance of the Christian mission.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I clearly stated that early Jewish Christians met in the temple until AD 70. After that, they met in homes. Jesus was referring to the divide between Jews and Samaritans before the fall of the temple. The book of Acts clearly shows us that the earliest Christians (post temple destruction and even before that among Gentile Christians) met and worshiped in homes and used their monetary resources not for buildings, but for the continuance of the Christian mission.

Yes, but that is a tradition, no where in scripture is the church COMMANDED to meet in homes. The location is not important. Teaching the traditions of men as commandments from God is frowned upon.

I meet with a home fellowship myself, so I'm not defending "Institutional Church". I also think people should meet in homes, but it's wrong and sin to tell people they HAVE TO meet in homes. Again, what did God command?

21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Jn 4:21–24.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2022
Florida
Visit site
✟15,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but that is a tradition, no where in scripture is the church COMMANDED to meet in homes. The location is not important. Teaching the traditions of men as commandments from God is frowned upon.

I meet with a home fellowship myself, so I'm not defending "Institutional Church". I also think people should meet in homes, but it's wrong and sin to tell people they HAVE TO meet in homes. Again, what did God command?

21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Jn 4:21–24.

It is a tradition of the earliest Christians, many of whom were led by the apostles. It follows, I think, that the practices of those closer to the origins of Christianity should be imitated to the extent possible. There’s nothing inherently wrong with tradition, especially if we’re speaking of the traditions of the first generations of Christ-followers. Why wouldn’t we desire to follow in their example?

The passage you quote from John pertains to ethnic-cultural infighting among Jews and Samaritans, not the early Church practice of meeting in homes.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a tradition of the earliest Christians, many of whom were led by the apostles. It follows, I think, that the practices of those closer to the origins of Christianity should be imitated to the extent possible. There’s nothing inherently wrong with tradition, especially if we’re speaking of the traditions of the first generations of Christ-followers. Why wouldn’t we desire to follow in their example?

The passage you quote from John pertains to ethnic-cultural infighting among Jews and Samaritans, not the early Church practice of meeting in homes.

I'm not disagreeing with you that we should try to imitate the practices of the early church, and you are right that there is nothing wrong with tradition. But we all need to be careful we don't tell people "God commands [this tradition]" when [this tradition] is not a command of God, but rather is a tradition of man. That's what I'm saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Only if you assume there is one house in the whole town/city/location. Believers should meet in houses of members to worship, and of course, more than one house may be used. Money should not be wasted on expensive, new buildings and upkeep.
I imagine there was one house church initially in a town/city/location. And as they grew they looked for larger quarters. And when they outgrew the largest available quarters they would split into related smaller groups. I'm not seeing where it is necessary for Christians to try to fit into a house. How did that become a requirement?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Were the meetings in houses public or private?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We had a "house church" in North Dakota in the mid 70s. It had possibilities, but most of us were young ("Jesus people") and while there was dedication to the Lord, there was not enough maturity in age. It might have worked if we had more older Christians to guide and support. A lot of churches did not like "Jesus people" (who were saved in the "Jesus movement" of that day). So, we just sort of floundered. Tragic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
At Pentecost there were 120 folks gathered in one house.

Within days there were several thousand converts.

Where did they all meet together ?

Well it was Shavuot so they met in the Temple...

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The church is not a building, the people are the church, so structure and architecture has nothing to do with being a Christian.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Paul's Farewell to the Ephesians (the church)

28Keep watch over yourselves and the entire flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which He purchased with His own blood.

29I know that after my departure, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock.

30Even from your own number, men will rise up and distort the truth to draw away disciples after them.

31Therefore be alert and remember that for three years I never stopped warning each of you night and day with tears.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, really they met in the Temple and synagogues, with believer's homes as supplemental. The earliest Christians, both Jew and Gentile, worshiped with the other Jews in the synagogues and participated in normal Jewish lifecycle events and holidays. We have records of Christians and "God fearers" donating to synagogues, in fact there is even archaeological evidence of a very early synagogue of followers of "the Way". The fact is that they met in homes out of convenience and necessity, not out of a command or because it is the 'right' way to do it.

Upvote 0