Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
With the new consoles giving players more customizable options for their games, I am curious who cares more about prioritizing framerate or resolution? Obviously those with nice PC gaming rigs can choose both.. but console gamers often have to choose.

As for me in the past I would say resolution, but after being spoiled with more and more 60FPS games. 30FPS is becoming less and less tolerable to my eyes.

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
download.gif
Framerate, my eyes aren't good enough to notice resolution.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Framerate, my eyes aren't good enough to notice resolution.

One plus about not having the greatest eyesight. Lol.

My eyesight is good.. tested better than 20/20. So I do notice resolution loss easily. On Demon Soul's I went to 60FPS 1080P mode.. and the blurriness looked awful. That game.. is mostly what inspired this thread. Seems like a huge hit both ways.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a Switch which has a lower resolution and the games can still be incredible in their own right. So I voted framerate because when that drops low its immersion breaking.
Yeah I agree. Can't believe I used to tolerate certain PS3 games.. many of them would hit sub-30. At least the PS4/Xbox One generation mostly hit a consistent 30FPS.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Yeah I agree. Can't believe I used to tolerate certain PS3 games.. many of them would hit sub-30. At least the PS4/Xbox One generation mostly hit a consistent 30FPS.
I think people have noticed FPS more as graphics have gotten better. PS4 wasn't too bad but it could still get choppy when their was a lot of action. PS5 is almost 100% buttery smooth. The best thing is load times though, almost non-existent now. :)

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think people have noticed FPS more as graphics have gotten better. PS4 wasn't too bad but it could still get choppy when their was a lot of action. PS5 is almost 100% buttery smooth. The best thing is load times though, almost non-existent now. :)

Maybe. I think it has more to do with people just being used to the lower framerates and once experiencing higher framerates looking back and wondering how their brain was able to tolerate that. Looking back at older games.. despite the lower graphics.. the framerates are jarring.

Sadly while the PS5 is buttery smooth right now, a lot of it has to do with it playing last generation and cross generation games. I fear many games will go back to 30FPS.. although I do think 60FPS will be more of a thing than last generation.

If they do make a mid-generation upgrade like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.. it needs to be made to achieve 4k 60FPS.. no matter the cost. I wouldn't mind paying hundreds of dollars more for a more definite experience. The PS4 was a failure in it's 4k regard.. while the Xbox One X as better.. it still had room for improvement.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think framerate is more akin to what's on the inside.. and resolution and graphics is more akin to what is on the outside.. and video games, especially console games will appeal to the latter. Although with more and more diminishing returns as the console generations goes.. I think the scales will tip more and more with the former. Barring games that give players the choice.. but I do wonder if developers especially the higher end developers for games.. will not want to give the players such.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe. I think it has more to do with people just being used to the lower framerates and once experiencing higher framerates looking back and wondering how their brain was able to tolerate that. Looking back at older games.. despite the lower graphics.. the framerates are jarring.

Sadly while the PS5 is buttery smooth right now, a lot of it has to do with it playing last generation and cross generation games. I fear many games will go back to 30FPS.. although I do think 60FPS will be more of a thing than last generation.

If they do make a mid-generation upgrade like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.. it needs to be made to achieve 4k 60FPS.. no matter the cost. I wouldn't mind paying hundreds of dollars more for a more definite experience. The PS4 was a failure in it's 4k regard.. while the Xbox One X as better.. it still had room for improvement.
That's a good point. We were used to it so we didn't know any better.

Hmm, that's possible. I'm not an expert here but my hope is that as games start being made exclusively for next gen hardware that the teams can focus more on getting the most out of next gen, including with FPS. They've announced that the next Final Fantasy Seven Remake entry won't be on PS4. Maybe by 2022 they'll have mostly moved on from last gen.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is another mid-gen update, especially if they can't manage 60 FPS with the new one. Right now I'm happy with PS5 and excited to see where they take it.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's a good point. We were used to it so we didn't know any better.

Hmm, that's possible. I'm not an expert here but my hope is that as games start being made exclusively for next gen hardware that the teams can focus more on getting the most out of next gen, including with FPS. They've announced that the next Final Fantasy Seven Remake entry won't be on PS4. Maybe by 2022 they'll have mostly moved on from last gen.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is another mid-gen update, especially if they can't manage 60 FPS with the new one. Right now I'm happy with PS5 and excited to see where they take it.

That's the sad thing about increased horsepower.. if you want even better graphics.. frame rate will have to suffer. You'll always have problems with what to do with the extra power. You're never going to have a 60FPS game in theory be better graphically to a 30FPS game.

Only time this will come to an end is when graphics come to a point where you cannot improve anymore.. then you'll see more and more focus on framerate.. but more interest in more advanced physics and whatnot. The power wars will go on long after graphics reaches their summit. Games.. no matter how pretty.. are mostly static.. with most game objects just sitting there.. unable to be interacted with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That's the sad thing about increased horsepower.. if you want even better graphics.. frame rate will have to suffer. You'll always have problems with what to do with the extra power. You're never going to have a 60FPS game in theory be better graphically to a 30FPS game.

Only time this will come to an end is when graphics come to a point where you cannot improve anymore.. then you'll see more and more focus on framerate.. but more interest in more advanced physics and whatnot. The power wars will go on long after graphics reaches their summit. Games.. no matter how pretty.. are mostly static.. with most game objects just sitting there.. unable to be interacted with.
I suppose the best solution for the time being is to keep giving people the choice between an FPS focused mode and a resolution or graphics focused mode. I'm playing Miles Morales on performance mode 60 FPS and it looks great. Maybe I'd notice a difference in graphics on fidelity mode but I'm plenty happy playing on performance.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I suppose the best solution for the time being is to keep giving people the choice between an FPS focused mode and a resolution or graphics focused mode. I'm playing Miles Morales on performance mode 60 FPS and it looks great. Maybe I'd notice a difference in graphics on fidelity mode but I'm plenty happy playing on performance.

The thing is.. I do not think it is always as simple as downgrading the resolution to achieve a consistent 60FPS framerate. In theory you can but in actual practice I think many developers will be targeting a graphics threshold that will make it so it's not simply as easy as downgrading the resolution to give a higher framerate. At least not to the extent many developers would find acceptable in a market. I think back to many PS4 Pro enhanced games that gave you the option for increased resolution or increased framerate. God Of War and the Tomb Raider series, beautiful games but both failed to deliver a consistent 60FPS experience. Unless you have VRR ( and even that probably has it's limits) framerates that bounce all over the place gives off a very stuttery effect.. so much so that a locked target of a lower framerate of 30FPS is preferable. Yeah you could probably lower the framerate to such an extent that anything would be playable in 60FPS.. but I think many developers are not going to go below past a certain point.

From what I have heard Miles Morales started off as PS4 games and looks it. While decent graphics it doesn't scream next-gen. Demon Souls was built ground up for the PS5 and has a consistent 60FPS mode.. but I imagine future developers will want to push the graphics even further. To the point where we will be right back to the issues the PS4 Pro had in giving gamers a choice between the two.

While I think 60FPS will be more common in this generation compared to the last, I think it's a real possibility many games in the long run will not deliver a smooth 60FPS option. At least not on the base consoles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up playing Pac-Man. If the graphics are a little less than great, but the game is fun to play, I can forgive that. If the game drops frames which interferes with what I'm trying to do in the game, and consequently makes it frustrating rather than fun to play, I might stop playing that game.

Upvote 0