Repent?

ckotane

Jul 14, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
I've been struggling with this lately. When repenting sins, can one truly repent all of their sins? Also, when we fall, doesn't that mean we broke our promise of repenting? I don't see how I can ever truly repent of all of my sins under the strict definition of the word. However, that doesn't mean I can't try right? As long as I try whole heartedly, is that enough for God?

What do you all think??

dead2self

Christian Hedonist
Jun 3, 2008
Prince George, BC
✟10,094.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Repenting is turning away form our sins. But once we do that, we must fill ourselves up with something, or that void created by killing the sin will just be filled back up with the same sin or others sins later. We must come to Jesus and drink the living waters He offers us. We must see that He is the Bread of Life. If we stop trying to satisfy ourselves with these sins and start being satisfied in Christ, our repentance will have far greater effect in our lives.

As for being able to truly repent, you cannot on your own. Only God can grant you repentance. When you fall it does not necessarily mean you did not repent, just that you did not fully satisfy yoursaelf in Christ afterwards. We all fall, none of us place Christ high enough in our lives to prevent that. But yes, we can keep trying. We must fight the good fight here and seek God allways.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been struggling with this lately. When repenting sins, can one truly repent all of their sins? Also, when we fall, doesn't that mean we broke our promise of repenting? I don't see how I can ever truly repent of all of my sins under the strict definition of the word. However, that doesn't mean I can't try right? As long as I try whole heartedly, is that enough for God?

What do you all think??

Repentance is gift talk! It is a gift from God to be able to turn away from sin and toward Him! We cannot do it by ourselves :)

I hope you aren't trying to say that you're using "repentance" in the way you think of it to try to earn something from God. Salvation is because of Christ and the cross. When God gives us faith in order to believe in the forgiveness of sins won there, He also helps us to repent of our sins, turning us toward Him :)

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, I was going to start out by giving the standard, Repent of your sin's speech. But I decided to look up "Repent, Repentance, repented" in my lexicon, concordance, and other resources.. In 26 different verses containing that the word "repent" or a variations of that word comes up in the new and old Testament, I can't find one instance of a call to repentance after salvation has been established..

To some of you I'm sure this is common knowledge, but to me this is a first. I seriously looked at complete chapters where some of the more unfamiliar verses of repentance is mentioned, and the closest thing I can find is what Jesus said in Luke 17:3
Give attention to yourselves: if your brother does wrong, say a sharp word to him; and if he has sorrow for his sin, let him have forgiveness. 4And if he does you wrong seven times in a day, and seven times comes to you and says, I have regret for what I have done; let him have forgiveness.

Which is a command for forgiveness from one to another, not one of repentance before the lord.

In verses like Matt 3:8, and Acts 26:20 We are commanded to produce fruit of repentence... Meaning the turning away from sinful things etc etc...

But again there isn't a direct command to "Repent or make amends" for every sin you have committed to the lord after salvation. With that said, the scriptures doesn't say you can't repent every time you sin either. But I think if the "Evil one" has us bound up with unnecessary repentance all of the time, we defiantly make less of a impact on those who are in need of us. That is if we are all guilted out on our own hang ups all of the time we can't really have the same boldness as a "Free man" would.

I know I've felt Guilt, and remained silent when one of my own favorite sins is posted in this forum By another's hand, asking for help in an area I struggle with.
Feeling too sinful, and in need of repentance before helping another tackle what has left me defeated.

I think this is where the book of Romans comes in. In Paul's teachings there, we find out we are all sin all the time, and even in our Sunday bests we are still dirty rags when it comes to our efforts in righteousness. Meaning at our best we are still not worthy.
If this is in fact the case, and we are to repent of all of our sins all of the time then we need to repent of the "Good" we do as well as all the evil. Because in God's perfect standard of Love and Righteousness, we again fall short. Meaning there is no way to be righteous before the Lord at any time under our own steam.. It is thru the Holy Spirit that we are able to claim Righteousness, and only thru this gift are we deemed holy.. And because it is a gift and not "earned" Then you can conclude there is nothing you can do to earn it, not even thru constant repentance..
Because (presumably) You already have it.

Repentance scripture references:
Matt 3:2, 3:8, 4:17, 11:21
MK 1:4, 6:12
LK 3:8 5:32 15:7 15:10 17:3
ACTS 2:38, 17:30, 20:21, 26:20
RO 2:4, 7:9
2CO 7:10
2Pe 3:9

OT scripture:
1KG 8:47
JOB 36:10, 42:6
JER 15:19
EZE 18:30-32
ISA 30:15

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
With a sin centered gospel repentance tends to be both misunderstood and over emphasised. Look at the three stories in Luke

Luke 15:1-2 Now the tax collectors and "sinners" were all gathering around to hear him. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." NIV

That is the introduction to three stories, the lost sheep, the lost coin and the lost son. In each case what was lost is found by the seeking God. Repentance is allowing God to find us.

As far as sinning is concerned , the Father knew we could never make it, to be 'good enough'. That is why Jesus becomes our righteousness. When we see repentance as acknowledgment that we need God to find us, and for us to discover that we need to be found we get a new perspective. Rather than self flagellation we come from simple acknowledgment that its only as we walk in Jesus provisions for us (the gift of righteousness) that we have courage and strength and hope in the face of our regular boo boos. Far too many Christians are ineffective and powerless because they are continually self condemned. That is sad.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

David2000

Jun 20, 2008
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True repentance is being sorry to God for your sin,being open and truthful about your sin,Turning away from your sin(hating that sin) and when possible pay back to others what you owe.

Proverbs 28:13 He who keeps his sins secret will not do well; but one who is open about them, and gives them up, will get mercy.

David

Upvote 0

gabrielListens

eagles fly alone
Apr 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Calif.
✟17,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If we say we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and refusing to accept the truth.
- 1 John 1:8

Your soul is sort of like a piece of clothing that gets dirty after use and needs to be cleansed regularly even though we know its going to just get dirty again.

God knows we are weak and incapable of living without sin. He only asks that we repent and ask forgiveness after we sin so that we may be forgiven and so that He may grant us mercy. We must also learn to RECEIVE his forgiveness and mercy by thanking Him for it after we repent. I think that is an important step because then we acknowledge to ourselves that we have been forgiven and our spirit is renewed, our souls have been cleansed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ckotane

Jul 14, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
These are all great replies. The reason I brought this up was because all through out high school, my teachers would always bring up repentance. After hearing it so many times, it made me feel like there was this "condition" that I had to meet in order to truly be forgiven of my sins. That is to not fall back into them after you repent. I had originally believed that accepting Jesus as one's savior to be the only thing a person had to do to be forgiven of all sins. Repenting was then something else a person had to do to truly "complete" the forgiveness of sins? I know that logic seems confusing and twisted, that was all back 3 years ago.

Its been 3 years since then and its never really bothered me up until now. Recently I went through something really tough and did some (Really) stupid things. I asked God to help me repent of my sins. I don't feel as though I can do anything more than to assume that God will help me; yet he would still love me even if I sinned again. I realize this is no reason or excuse to sin again.

Reactions: drich0150
Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Don't beat yourself up mate, because our Lord said to forgive seven times, seventy. SO I guess that rule goes for HIM as well.

But, if you sin is habitual, then you need to take it to HIS CROSS, and possibly seek help through counselling.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear CKOTANE. You had some good replies, and I agree with most of them.Try and look at Repentance as changing around, becoming a different person altogether. Jesus died for us, and He is waiting to help and guide us all the way back to God. God is Love, He made us in His image, nothing else in this Universe is like Man. God wants to live with us for eternity, God wants us to be loving selflessly, with no strings attached whatsoever. God knows that is not easy for us, we live in an imperfect world, where temptations of all sorts surround us. We have many years to become better and better, and once we start sincerely, we will find that it becomes easier and easier, people around us will notice the difference and will respond likewise. Jesus will give us His Love, His Joy, and His Peace, all we do, CKOTANE, is share it with all we meet. We will be different men and women. But we have to want to, God will not force us, but God knows, and He will forgive us our many failures, IF we ask Him, and try to do our best. I say this humbly and with love, and send greetings. Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums