bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is logically impossible, as I said, because you did not exist during that time.

But if you want to believe in that, so that you can believe Acts 2:38 is also directed to you, we can agree to disagree. =)
It is logically impossible for God to know for certain the future free will choices I will be making, but God who is outside of time could and does.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I believe in:

One God and Father.
One Lord, Jesus Christ.
One Holy Spirit.
One Body, the Church.
One faith.
One baptism.

Christ gave His Church one Commission, to preach repentance and forgiveness in His name, and to make disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. Therefore this is the message, the call, the prophetic voice of the Church in the midst of the world, for all nations, Jew and Gentile, slave and free, male and female, young and old, for all without exception. Come, believe, repent, be baptized. Here is Christ, the Shepherd who cares, the Savior who saves, the Physician who heals, here is His blood poured out, His body broken, and there is no other name given under heaven by which anyone is saved.

It is Christ and Christ alone.

There is no other gospel.
There is no other message.
There is no other call.

There is the one call, the one message, the one Gospel of Jesus Christ that sounds out from the whole Church, through every age, in every time and place.

Anything else,
Everything else,
Is anathema.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in:

One God and Father.
One Lord, Jesus Christ.
One Holy Spirit.
One Body, the Church.
One faith.
One baptism.

Christ gave His Church one Commission, to preach repentance and forgiveness in His name, and to make disciples, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. Therefore this is the message, the call, the prophetic voice of the Church in the midst of the world, for all nations, Jew and Gentile, slave and free, male and female, young and old, for all without exception. Come, believe, repent, be baptized. Here is Christ, the Shepherd who cares, the Savior who saves, the Physician who heals, here is His blood poured out, His body broken, and there is no other name given under heaven by which anyone is saved.

It is Christ and Christ alone.

There is no other gospel.
There is no other message.
There is no other call.

There is the one call, the one message, the one Gospel of Jesus Christ that sounds out from the whole Church, through every age, in every time and place.

Anything else,
Everything else,
Is anathema.

-CryptoLutheran

You are a covenant theologian?

You are echoing precisely the same points here https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/what-covenant-grace

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If you agree, then you are a covenant theologian, even if you are unaware of that.

You can call me a ham sandwich if you like. It doesn't really matter to me.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It may not matter to you, but it helps your reader to understand where you are coming from.

I'm a Lutheran, it's on my profile, I regularly and explicitly say I'm speaking from a Lutheran perspective.

So that's where I'm coming from. Covenant Theology is part of the Reformed branch of Protestantism. I'm a Lutheran, the hermeneutic Lutherans use is known as the Law and Gospel Dialectic.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,941.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Lutheran, it's on my profile, I regularly and explicitly say I'm speaking from a Lutheran perspective.

So that's where I'm coming from. Covenant Theology is part of the Reformed branch of Protestantism. I'm a Lutheran, the hermeneutic Lutherans use is known as the Law and Gospel Dialectic.

-CryptoLutheran

CTs are found in every denomination. The moment you see someone saying what you have said

That is a CT. You may choose to reject that label of course.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
CTs are found in every denomination. The moment you see someone saying what you have said

That is a CT. You may choose to reject that label of course.

I consider it irrelevant. Like I said, call me a ham sandwich if you want.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: OldAbramBrown
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joeLightening

Mar 6, 2023
Pueblo
✟9,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sound Bible study begins with Biblical Greek word studies. We must know the full range of meanings for each word and phrase. There are many errors in the above statements because some of you posting here assign the wrong meaning to some of these Biblical words. Find a good word study dictionary and compare it to several other dictionaries and Lexicons. I spent years with word studies and still am referring back to those books for learning.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You appear to have subtracted from the meaning of Scripture phrases which are for all the period since Ascension and are open to gentiles and Hebrews alike: the household of exchanging spiritual gifts unvetoed described in the last 21 verses of Proverbs.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You appear to have subtracted from the meaning of Scripture phrases which are for all the period since Ascension and are open to gentiles and Hebrews alike: the household of exchanging spiritual gifts unvetoed described in the last 21 verses of Proverbs.
For 7 years post ascension salvation remains assessable to Israel/Jews only. Gentiles aren't offered salvation until Acts10 Cornelius house.

Covenant to Covenant
The Mosaic law covenant required self-works in order to access God's blessings (Deut 28:1-14) Curses were levied for non-compliance (Deut 28:15-68)

1st The gospel of the kingdom message John the Baptist & Jesus preached (to Israel only) was VOID of Jesus sin atoning death > He's still alive! While Jesus is alive the Mosaic law covenant (Israel/Jews ONLY) is in full force. I'll address that in a minute.

Background: Passover, Pentecost & Tabernacles were 3 Jewish """mandatory pilgrimage feasts""" (all males 20 years & older) were required to travel to Jerusalem. (See Lev 23)

Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
(MY NOTE: ALL these Jews """out of every nation under heaven""" were Mosaic law adherents)

Onto Peters sermon: It's Pentecost, the Temple Mt is full (millions?) of Mosaic law adherent Jews.

Acts 2:38 Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(MY NOTE: Peter tells these Jews to REPENT > from allowing there Messiah to be KILLED (Acts 2:36-37). Their everyday sins were being addressed by Temple priest sacrifices.

Rereading the 1st sentence above: The Mosaic law covenant REQUIRED SELF-WORKS in order to access God's blessings. If these Mosaic law adherent Jews wanted to receive the Holy Spirit. They had to come forward PUBLICLY & confess Jesus as LORD!

1st listed of the 10 commandments: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Jewish leadership (Priesthood) rejected Jesus, confessing Him as Lord was see as idolatry. Look what happened to Stephen & eventually every apostle except John.

Way to many NT believers cite Acts 2:38 as the litmus test for receiving Jesus, eternal life giving, Holy Spirit. And promote water baptism as a requirement. That requirement was under the OC law doctrine. And isn't the new covenant message for today's body of Christ.

Read from the old to the new: Hebrews 9 amp - Read the Amplified© Bible Online - Free AMP Bible - SermonCentral.com

Jesus sacrificial DEATH retires the Mosaic law covenant. (Matt 27:51, Heb 9:14-17)

The risen Jesus establishes a NEW BETTER sin management covenant with: His sinless, ONCE for ALL TIME (Heb 9:28, 10:10), perpetually cleansing, God Blood offering/sacrifice. He takes & places His Blood in the Heavenly tabernacle, in the presents of the Father (Heb 9:24).

Heb 9:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
(MY NOTE: By the MEANS of DEATH! He becomes the MEDIATOR of the NEW COVENANT! And the REDEEMER of TRANSGRESSIONS)

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
(MY NOTE: NO DEATH, NO NEW TESTAMENT/COVENANT!)

17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
(MY NOTE: Until Jesus DIES, the Old Mosaic law covenant "ISRAEL ONLY" remains in FULL FORCE. Jesus is the testator!)

While Jesus is alive, HOW? Can He be preaching the new testament? Also, his death & resurrection isn't part of the gospel of the kingdom message, Jesus & John the Baptist preached!

Even though He told the 12 He would suffer & die. They didn't UNDERSTAND! (Mk 9:31-4, Lk 9:44-45,18:33-34. God hid it from them)

John 20:9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

John 12:16 These things understood not his disciples at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.
(MY NOTE: After His RESURRECTION the Holy Spirit recalls/reminds them of the death & resurrection teaching they didn't understand)

The Sermon on the Mt is to ISRAEL about Israel's long promised kingdom (still coming) where their Messiah will rule & reign (the whole world) from Jerusalem.

Post death & resurrection, the new covenant requirement to access God's/Jesus blessings is FAITH void of any works (Eph 2:8-9)

The RISEN Lord Jesus (Acts 26:15-18) gives Paul by direct revelation (Gal 1:12). Christ's gospel of the GRACE of god (Acts 20:24)

NT Gospel of Jesus Christ message:

1 Cor 15:
1 Now brothers and sisters, let me remind you [once again] of the good news [of salvation] which I preached to you, which you welcomed and accepted and on which you stand [by faith].

2 By this faith you are saved [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, and set apart for His purpose], if you hold firmly to the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain [just superficially and without complete commitment].

3 For I passed on to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to [that which] the Scriptures [foretold],

4 and that He was buried, and that He was [bodily] raised on the third day according to [that which] the Scriptures [foretold],
www.biblegateway.com

Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 15 - Amplified Bible

The Fact of Christ’s Resurrection - Now brothers and sisters, let me remind you [once again] of the good news [of salvation] which I preached to you, which you welcomed and accepted and on which you stand [by faith]. By this faith you are saved [reborn from above—spiritually transformed...
www.biblegateway.com
www.biblegateway.com

PARSING:
Vs 1, ""The good news of your SALVATION"" Paul preached ""which they accepted by FAITH!

Vs 2, You were SAVED by FAITH! ""reborn from above, spiritually transformed"" & set apart for His purpose.

Vs 3, The most IMPORTANT SALVATION information needed is: (Vs 3) Christ died for our sins (Vs 4) was buried & He was raised on the 3rd day. (NO H2O NEEDED!)

Synopsis: The gospel/good news whereby you are SAVED by FAITH. Is place your FAITH in Christ' sin atoning sacrificial death offering/payment: He died/Shedding His sinless perpetually cleansing (Heb 10:14) God blood, was buried & rose on the 3rd day. (Father receipt, sins required payment received & accepted. (NO H2O NEEDED!)

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed "ye were sealed with that holy Spirit'' of promise
(PARSING: THEY HEARD & BELIEVED about Jesus sin atoning payment & resurrection. Then (Matt 3:11, Mk 1:8, Lk 3:16) by Jesus, they were <PAST TENSE > SEALED with God's promised Gift of His FOREVER (Jn 14:16) SALVATION SEALING (Eph 1:13-14, 4:30, 2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, 2 Tim 1:14) Eternal Life Giving, Holy Spirit. (NO MENTION of H2O)

Justification/ETERNAL LIFE = Christ's Eternal Life Giving indwelling Holy Spirit < Proof you're FOREVER SAVED > (Eph 1:13-14, 4:30, 2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, 2 Tim 1:14, Jn 14:16) comes/is accessed through Faith! (Eph 5:8, Rom 5:1-2, 10:8-9, 1 Cor 15:1-4)

The old covenant Mosaic law dispensation required SELF-WORKS in order to access God's blessings (Deut 28:1-14)

The new covenant gospel of the GRACE of God dispensation requires FAILH ALONE to access God/Christ's blessings.

Eph 3:2 Paul said; If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Reactions: Sorn
Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
When dissecting any verse of scripture. Ask yourself, of whom, to whom, with what words, what time, where, to what intent, with what circumstances, considering what is written before and what follows any single verse context.
Got to this sentence and have to note that this is the worldly way , the way of mankind/flesh/carnal, ....

The Father , Jesus Praises Him, for REVEALING the truth/salvation to infants, and hiding it from scholars.

The messengers of God did not come to understand nor wisdom by reading or study, but when the Father or Jesus breathed on them and opened their mind - then they understood perfectly as revealed, as has been ever since.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is it wrong to repent and be baptized?
Did the prodigal son come to his senses and repent (turn to his father), before being renewed?
Good question. No, it is not wrong when in truth. Jesus says turn to the Father and be immersed (in Jesus' Name) and <then> you will be saved. Not , notice, believe and then be baptized, no. His Word is Always Truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This has to do with "time" and God presence in time.
It has repeatedly been shown over the last 100 years and never disproven that time is relative, so I believe time is relative and very relative for God.
I see God being outside of time and not limited by time and God might have even created time for us.
God, in His existence at the end of time, would know historically all my free will choices I made throughout my life making them unchangeable (history cannot be changed [it happened]).
God at the end of time can send all that historical information back to Himself at the beginning of time, thus knowing what I did and for me, what I will do (and it is unchangeable).
I believe you can change reality with your words, past-present-future.

The LORD that brought time into existence, can also, bring time out of existence.

Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
(MY NOTE: Past sins that have already been committed. When wiped out/forgiven, change one's past & future. Past red crimson sins, become white as wool (ISA 1:18). Now one can now walk as though they had never committed even one sin)

2 Cor 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
(MY NOTE: When one acknowledges their sins before God & place faith/trust: In Jesus death, burial & resurrection. Not only are ALL the believers sins forgiven & imputed onto Christ (Rom 4). Christ imputes HIS righteousness onto the believer. And the believer becomes the righteousness of God in Christ. (See Rom 3:22)

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed "ye were sealed with that holy Spirit'' of promise
(MY NOTE: They heard about & BELIEVED in: Jesus sin atoning payment & resurrection. Then Jesus (Matt 3:11, Mk 1:8, Lk 3:16), SEALED (Eph 1:13-14, 4:30, 2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, 2 Tim 1:14) <PAST TENSE > them with the promised gift of His eternal life giving Holy Spirit.)

Eph1:14 Which is the down payment of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession
(MY NOTE: Christ's forever (Jn 16:14) indwelling gift of His eternal life giving Holy Spirit. Is Jesus eternal life down payment promise)

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am not off the hook. If I had lived my life fulfilling my earthly objective without sinning Christ would not have had to die for me.
To be grafted in - both jew and gentile - is to live sacrificially in supplicating and upbuilding others' integrity and belief; that is what entering into His death is. The prophets sensed this and described it.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Got to this sentence and have to note that this is the worldly way , the way of mankind/flesh/carnal,....
If taking the advise of a known Hebrew & Greek to English translation scholar. One that wrote a bible is worldly, I'll take a double dose!

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The LORD that brought time into existence, can also, bring time out of existence.

Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
(MY NOTE: Past sins that have already been committed. When wiped out/forgiven, change one's past & future. Past red crimson sins, become white as wool (ISA 1:18). Now one can now walk as though they had never committed even one sin)

2 Cor 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
(MY NOTE: When one acknowledges their sins before God & place faith/trust: In Jesus death, burial & resurrection. Not only are ALL the believers sins forgiven & imputed onto Christ (Rom 4). Christ imputes HIS righteousness onto the believer. And the believer becomes the righteousness of God in Christ. (See Rom 3:22)

(MY NOTE: They heard about & BELIEVED in: Jesus sin atoning payment & resurrection. Then Jesus (Matt 3:11, Mk 1:8, Lk 3:16), SEALED (Eph 1:13-14, 4:30, 2 Cor 1:22, 5:5, 2 Tim 1:14) <PAST TENSE > them with the promised gift of His eternal life giving Holy Spirit.)

Eph1:14 Which is the down payment of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession
(MY NOTE: Christ's forever (Jn 16:14) indwelling gift of His eternal life giving Holy Spirit. Is Jesus eternal life down payment promise)ngen
History cannot be changed, it is what happened, even if it was only God who knew what happened.
God does everything perfectly the first time, so how could He change it to make it better a second time?

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Now you've turned into a magician because only God can change reality and He doesn't bring time out of existence because it is in the natural order. Time is a big subject and you should study Huw Price.

One's growth in integrity in the light of our historical facts is part of God's intended order.

The scriptures you've appended do not support these statements and your inconsistent sophistry is tripping over words.

Please can you try to re-paraphrase, in better wording, any points actually made during the thread so far and show the purpose for the thread?

Dispensationism was started up from fear of legalism which however it copies and which is reabsorbing it. Some of us try to stay on the outside of both. Dispensationism like legalism is materialism.
It may not matter to you, but it helps your reader to understand where you are coming from.
Your phrase is ballpark nomenclature in usage by you and Ligonier (who don't mean what they say), but not others. The Ligoniers use as much plausible clothing as they can. Dispensationists and legalists like the Ligoniers, being likewise materialistic, have suppression of Holy Spirit in common.

Upvote 0