Rep. Andy Biggs challenges Kevin McCarthy for Speaker of the House vote on January 3rd

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that this whole theatre is a wonderful example for how the best strategy for US politics shapes out to be: get into a minority position that can obstruct the majority, make ridiculous demands, then refuse to budge until all your demands are met.

Truly a genius way the founding fathers set things up.
It's why I've truly come to appreciate the European Parliamentary system. You have an election where Parliament (or Congress) is chosen, the majority (or a combination of) party sets up a government and chooses a Prime Minister. At that point, the majority party is responsible for the government -- they can't blame the minority for any failures or for bad policies. At the next election (or even before, if there is a vote of no confidence), if people decide to make a change, the other (or a different) party takes control and is responsible for the decisions made. It is a difference of government set up to do something and be responsible, as opposed to a government set up to do nothing and avoid responsibility.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Will 14 be the lucky number?
No, 14 is not the lucky number. We will be going to 15 -- though McCarthy did managed to get half the votes this time (but not a majority). I guess Gaetz, with his newfound power, wants to adjourn until Monday. It looks like a fight just to try and adjourn. ;)

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, 14 is not the lucky number. We will be going to 15 -- though McCarthy did managed to get half the votes this time (but not a majority). I guess Gaetz, with his newfound power, wants to adjourn until Monday. It looks like a fight just to try and adjourn. ;)
Nail biter on the ajornment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Kev is in.

Next order of business, how many days until the first no confidence vote?
First time he doesn't give one of the never Kevin people what they want.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that this whole theatre is a wonderful example for how the best strategy for US politics shapes out to be: get into a minority position that can obstruct the majority, make ridiculous demands, then refuse to budge until all your demands are met.

Truly a genius way the founding fathers set things up.

The founders presumed the American people would elect men and women of good faith.....

• Haha
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...it seems Rep Rogers of Alabama finally had enough of Gaetz....and had to be restrained (frankly, I'm suprised it took 14 rounds to reach this moment...kudos to the AP photographer)

rogers.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So they finally chose a Speaker of the House. Glad I didn't buy more popcorn.
May want to stock up anyway, with any rep now able to instigate a no confidence vote we’re in for more circus than you can shake a stick at.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: NxNW
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
May want to stock up anyway, with any rep now able to instigate a no confidence vote we’re in for more circus that you can shake a stick at.

...and if you have any business with the Federal Government, do it in the next couple of months....

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Finally the wrap up and Monday Morning Quarterbacking can begin

Kevin McCarthy wins House speakership on 15th vote

“That was easy, huh?” McCarthy joked after receiving the speaker’s gavel from House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.).
[Now we know why Pelosi stepped aside.]

The deals McCarthy struck with a group of fewer than two-dozen hard-line Republicans will empower the far right of his party ahead of a congressional term that promises contentious battles over funding the federal government and increasing the debt ceiling.

[As 14th vote was failing] Mike Rogers (R-Ala.) was restrained by a colleague after approaching Gaetz. [Lovely pic upthread.]

At one point, Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) tried to hand Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.) her cellphone: Former President Trump was calling. But Rosendale waved her off.

-getting to the 15th and successful vote-

The nature of McCarthy’s final bargain was not immediately apparent. But the rules package House Republicans hope to pass next week will reportedly allow a single member to force a vote to oust the speaker.

On the final vote, all six holdouts voted “present,” lowering the total number of votes cast to 428 and the majority required to win the gavel to 215. Those six “present” votes ensured that by holding on to the same 216 votes he received on the 14th ballot, McCarthy could secure the speakership.

The newly minted speaker swore in members of Congress as a group shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday, but the next test of how united House Republicans are now will come after a debate on the rules package Monday.

“I am a NO on the house rules package,” Tony Gonzales (R-Texas) tweeted earlier Friday. “Welcome to the 118th Congress.”

Upvote 0