Remembering the great Ronald Reagan

J

jamesrwright3

Justifying the Iran/contra drug trade, are we?

Good thing Reagan "Just said no" to recreational drugs while leading as the CIA ran cocaine operations ;)

What can a President do?

Reagan didn't know the full extent of the program and didn't know anything about possible drug ties. In terms of the arms sales to Iran, I don't see any moral issues with giving away small arms to help free people that we have no ability to free otherwise.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He never funded our enemies. They were not enemies at the time. The greater threat to the US was communism and the Soviet Union.
They were our enemies, but Reagan was so focused on a crumbling enemy that he sided with them. Contrary too the old saying the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

Reagan knowlingly gave money and training to organizations that were engaging in terrorist activities.
He may have raised the deficit, but it was wartime..a Cold War that we could still be fighting today if we had the status quo and were happy with a peaceful yet dangerous coexistence with the USSR.
The CIA knew when Reagan took office that the Soviet Union was on the verge of collapse. Post collapse analysis show that Reagan delayed the collapse by bolstering Soviet nationalism.

Upvote 0

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Failure? That is really quite hilarious. He turned the US economy around, and brought about the end to the Cold War.

he oversaw the end of the cold war. and he certainly did turn the economy around. we're still living through the failure of Reaganomics

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

They were our enemies, but Reagan was so focused on a crumbling enemy that he sided with them. Contrary too the old saying the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

Reagan knowlingly gave money and training to organizations that were engaging in terrorist activities.

The Afghan freedom fighters were not our enemies at the time.

The CIA knew when Reagan took office that the Soviet Union was on the verge of collapse. Post collapse analysis show that Reagan delayed the collapse by bolstering Soviet nationalism.

That is absolutely not true. Reagan hastened the collapse by forcing the Soviet Union to increase its spending more than it had planned. It was Reagan's PLAN to defeat the Soviet Union by pushing it over the edge. Reagan changed the policy of the US from playing not to lose to playing to win.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

he oversaw the end of the cold war. and he certainly did turn the economy around. we're still living through the failure of Reaganomics

Actually we are living through the failure of Democratic policies. It is not Reagan's debt that is crippling the country, but the unfunded liabilities i.e Medicare and Social Security plus "affordable" housing programs started by Democrats.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Reagan didn't know the full extent of the program and didn't know anything about possible drug ties. In terms of the arms sales to Iran, I don't see any moral issues with giving away small arms to help free people that we have no ability to free otherwise.
Only someone in the Whitehouse could have coordinated Iran-Contra. Even in a best case scenerio he was ignoring criminal activity from his cabinet memebers.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Reagan didn't know the full extent of the program and didn't know anything about possible drug ties.
So, Reagan was not leading the country while the CIA ran cocaine operations?

Either he was already deep into the throes of his brain disease, his people did not respect him enough to keep him aware of what was going on under his leadership, or he was just a puppet controlled by more powerful men. Which is it? Either way you want to deny it, it all went down on his watch. Who do you want to blame?

In terms of the arms sales to Iran, I don't see any moral issues with giving away small arms to help free people that we have no ability to free otherwise.
I did not say anything about arms sales because it was irrelevent in regards to my comment. THAT is a completely different failure on the part of Reagan!

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

Only someone in the Whitehouse could have coordinated Iran-Contra. Even in a best case scenerio he was ignoring criminal activity from his cabinet memebers.

Yes it was his national security team. Reagan's one flaw is that he liked to delegate, and it bit him in the butt. The scandal personally shook Reagan. He had never backstabbed anyone and never thought he would be the victim of a backstabbing.

Upvote 0

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually we are living through the failure of Democratic policies. It is not Reagan's debt that is crippling the country, but the unfunded liabilities i.e Medicare and Social Security plus "affordable" housing programs started by Democrats.

lol, its adorable that you pretend to really believe that

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

jamesrwright3

So, Reagan was not leading the country while the CIA ran cocaine operations?

I would ask that you watch the American Experience program "Are We Safer"-it was recently aired. They interviewed former CIA directory Michael Hayden. There are intelligence operations that even he was not aware of and didn't have access to despite his connections. There is basically a government within the government that carries out covert operations that few people know the details of.

ither he was already deep into the throes of his brain disease, his people did not respect him enough to keep him aware of what was going on under his leadership, or he was just a puppet controlled by more powerful men. Which is it? Either way you want to deny it, it all went down on his watch. Who do you want to blame?

That is simply not true. His symptoms didn't become apparent until years later according to friends/family.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did you know that Reagan supported these programs? :) But if if must, blame the democrats.

Reagan even had a huge illegal alien amnesty program! :D All republicans want amnesty for the illegal aliens.

Upvote 0

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well it is the truth. You can either accept it or be in the longest river in Egypt.

Republicans are certainly good for irony, if nothing else.

Talking about rivers in Egypt in a thread that calls Ronald Reagan great.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

Did you know that Reagan supported these programs? :) But if if must, blame the democrats.

Reagan even had a huge illegal alien amnesty program! :D All republicans want amnesty for the illegal aliens.

Reagan was not in favor of Social Security-he was in favor of privatizing it.
That is the problem with passing welfare programs. They are nearly impossible to repeal once they are enacted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Please explain to me how the cost of unfunded liabilities nearly tripled the national debt in 8 years.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would ask that you watch the American Experience program "Are We Safer"-it was recently aired. They interviewed former CIA directory Michael Hayden. There are intelligence operations that even he was not aware of and didn't have access to despite his connections. There is basically a government within the government that carries out covert operations that few people know the details of.
So Reagan had NO idea what was going on? I suppose that is the best response in order to maintain the legend. It must have been nice being responsible and yet, not responsible.

That is simply not true. His symptoms didn't become apparent until years later according to friends/family.
Family, like this son?
Ron Reagan Saw Signs of Father's Alzheimer's at White House - ABC News :cool:

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

Please explain to me how the cost of unfunded liabilities nearly tripled the national debt in 8 years.

Compare the cost of the Reagan debt to the cost of our unfunded liabilities.
Our unfunded liabilities are Reagan x100. Liberals can't say Reagan is a bad President for increasing the debt when their policies created Reagan deficits x100 if we use proper accounting.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Reagan was not in favor of Social Security-he was in favor of privatizing it.
That is the problem with passing welfare programs. They are nearly impossible to repeal once they are enacted.
I pay into it, dont you? I have been paying for over 30 years. When I receive it it wont be welfare, rather a return on an investment.

Upvote 0